The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Postby morell » Tue May 16, 2017 3:47 pm

Wedgie wrote:Perhaps we should kick out the Crows and Power as draft picks have reduced, it's the only possible reason.
Good point Morell, it seems the SANFL was a better breeding ground before the AFL reserves came in.
Enjoy your cake.
I agree, would love an AFL reserves comp and a streamlined junior development pathway in SA.

Be careful with that cake, it can make you fat!
morell
Coach

Has liked: 2017 times
Been liked: 1143 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby Wedgie » Tue May 16, 2017 3:52 pm

morell wrote:
Wedgie wrote:Perhaps we should kick out the Crows and Power as draft picks have reduced, it's the only possible reason.
Good point Morell, it seems the SANFL was a better breeding ground before the AFL reserves came in.
Enjoy your cake.
I agree, would love an AFL reserves comp and a streamlined junior development pathway in SA.

Don't eat cake. Beer makes me fat.

So if the comp now has record low crowds, record low draft picks, record low media coverage and both AFL clubs in SA haven't won an AFL premiership despite winning three before then they should piss off out of the comp and everyone's a winner. Simple.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2061 times
Been liked: 3918 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby morell » Tue May 16, 2017 3:54 pm

I agree. Would love to.

Wont solve the SANFL problems though.
morell
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Tue May 16, 2017 3:55 pm

morell wrote:I agree. Would love to.

Cool and agreed, it wouldn't solve all problems but it would fix the biggest one.
It's good we are all on the same page.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2061 times
Been liked: 3918 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Booney » Tue May 16, 2017 4:00 pm

Yep, page 331.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7519 times
Been liked: 10815 times

Postby morell » Tue May 16, 2017 4:05 pm

Wedgie wrote:

Cool and agreed, it wouldn't solve all problems but it would fix one of the minor ones.
FTFY
morell
Coach

Postby tipper » Tue May 16, 2017 4:14 pm

morell wrote:It's a trend now mate. See graph which represent SANFL kids drafted into the AFL. 1990 an obvious outlier.

sorry, but ill need a better source than a graph that a "random" posted on an internet forum. there is no scale to determine the numbers drafted on the y axis, and from looking at it, in 91 or 92 it infers that we had over 60 people drafted to the afl..... (based on one of the horizontal lines being about 8?? and last year we supposedly had 6, which is a bit below the bottom line) where are the numbers from?
tipper
League - Top 5

Has liked: 359 times
Been liked: 531 times
Grassroots Team: Peake

Postby tipper » Tue May 16, 2017 4:15 pm

morell wrote:
Wedgie wrote:

Cool and agreed, it wouldn't solve all problems but it would fix one of the minor ones.
FTFY

how would the power go if nearly a third of the spectators just stopped turning up? would that still be a minor problem?
tipper
League - Top 5

Postby amber_fluid » Tue May 16, 2017 4:19 pm

tipper wrote:
morell wrote:
Wedgie wrote:

FTFY

how would the power go if nearly a third of the spectators just stopped turning up? would that still be a minor problem?

Ah no biggie for them as they have tarps at the ready!! ;)
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2234 times
Been liked: 2528 times

Postby amber_fluid » Tue May 16, 2017 4:21 pm

Booney wrote:Yep, page 331.

What thread has created the most pages on this forum over the years?
This one surely will give it a crack.
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Tue May 16, 2017 4:23 pm

morell wrote:
Enjoy your cake.

Will never be a AFL reserves comp, you completely forget that the Vic clubs still hold the balance of power and are not interested in the slightest at getting one off the ground. They are quite happy to run their own 10 team comp in Melbourne where no travel is required
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3556 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby amber_fluid » Tue May 16, 2017 4:24 pm

morell wrote:Hey UK Fan,

If you give your kids $50 to buy your missus a present for mothers day, who actually paid for the present, you or the kids?

If you have a wife you pay every day for the rest of your life regardless..........
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby morell » Tue May 16, 2017 4:28 pm

tipper wrote:
morell wrote:It's a trend now mate. See graph which represent SANFL kids drafted into the AFL. 1990 an obvious outlier.

sorry, but ill need a better source than a graph that a "random" posted on an internet forum. there is no scale to determine the numbers drafted on the y axis, and from looking at it, in 91 or 92 it infers that we had over 60 people drafted to the afl..... (based on one of the horizontal lines being about 8?? and last year we supposedly had 6, which is a bit below the bottom line) where are the numbers from?
Haha fair enough! I tried to make it simple because... well, have you seen some of the posters in here. Good on you for questioning it.

My methods were as follows:

1. Copy data from this table: http://www.afl.com.au/draft/draft-history
2. Open Excel, categorise any draftee where their origin club was an SANFL club
3. Copy all SANFL draftees to new sheet
4. Create Piviot table by Year and Count
5. Plot graph
6. Add trendline

Hopefully this one is better.
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (57.62 KiB) Viewed 391 times
morell
Coach

Postby morell » Tue May 16, 2017 4:28 pm

Jim05 wrote:
morell wrote:
Enjoy your cake.

Will never be a AFL reserves comp, you completely forget that the Vic clubs still hold the balance of power and are not interested in the slightest at getting one off the ground. They are quite happy to run their own 10 team comp in Melbourne where no travel is required
They will if there is money in it.
morell
Coach

Postby tipper » Tue May 16, 2017 4:36 pm

morell wrote:
tipper wrote:

Haha fair enough! I tried to make it simple because... well, have you seen some of the posters in here. Good on you for questioning it.

5. Plot graph
6. Add trendline

cheers for the link, im not in the habit of believing everything that is posted on the net....

im still not sure its accurate, and i dont have time right now to go through it, but i will later if i have time. just as an example, it is showing 2016 as 5 drafted when you claim it is 6. if there are other discrepancies as well it could throw out the overall trend.

that and the obvious outlier of 91 bumping up the start of the graph i still dont think that there is an issue (or its small, not big like you make out ;) ). anyway, looking at the trends, we should have over a dozen drafted this year, and it will all be forgotten anyway
tipper
League - Top 5

Postby Jim05 » Tue May 16, 2017 4:39 pm

morell wrote:
Jim05 wrote:
morell wrote:
Enjoy your cake.

They will if there is money in it.

Why are the 10 Vic clubs getting together and creating their own reserves league for?
A couple of the NEAFL clubs have enquired about joining it as has atleast 1 of the Crows/Port and were told they would be looked at but would have to play all their games in Melbourne. With the funds drain on the AFL by the likes of the Suns, Giants and AFLW they would have zero interest in helping a Reserves comp get up and running. Believe it or not a couple of the big clubs in Melbourne still pull the strings
Jim05
Coach

Postby morell » Tue May 16, 2017 4:42 pm

tipper wrote:
morell wrote:
tipper wrote:

5. Plot graph
6. Add trendline

cheers for the link, im not in the habit of believing everything that is posted on the net....

im still not sure its accurate, and i dont have time right now to go through it, but i will later if i have time. just as an example, it is showing 2016 as 5 drafted when you claim it is 6. if there are other discrepancies as well it could throw out the overall trend.

that and the obvious outlier of 91 bumping up the start of the graph i still dont think that there is an issue (or its small, not big like you make out ;) ). anyway, looking at the trends, we should have over a dozen drafted this year, and it will all be forgotten anyway
I think its 6 from "SA" and 5 from the SANFL.
morell
Coach

Postby morell » Tue May 16, 2017 4:49 pm

Jim05 wrote:A couple of the NEAFL clubs have enquired about joining it as has atleast 1 of the Crows/Port and were told they would be looked at but would have to play all their games in Melbourne. With the funds drain on the AFL by the likes of the Suns, Giants and AFLW they would have zero interest in helping a Reserves comp get up and running. Believe it or not a couple of the big clubs in Melbourne still pull the strings
All valid points and obstacles requiring a solution.

I am sure of we can put a man on the moon humanity can solve the riddle that is the AFL Reserves.
morell
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Tue May 16, 2017 4:53 pm

morell wrote:
Jim05 wrote:A couple of the NEAFL clubs have enquired about joining it as has atleast 1 of the Crows/Port and were told they would be looked at but would have to play all their games in Melbourne. With the funds drain on the AFL by the likes of the Suns, Giants and AFLW they would have zero interest in helping a Reserves comp get up and running. Believe it or not a couple of the big clubs in Melbourne still pull the strings

I am sure of we can put a man on the moon humanity can solve the riddle that is the an AFL Reserves.

The difference is somebody wanted to put a man on the moon. Not sure the want or desire is there from the AFL to have a Reserves comp and it's definitely not there from the majority of clubs.
Jim05
Coach

Postby Booney » Tue May 16, 2017 4:57 pm

Jim05 wrote:
morell wrote:

I am sure of we can put a man on the moon humanity can solve the riddle that is the an AFL Reserves.

The difference is somebody wanted to put a man on the moon. Not sure the want or desire is there from the AFL to have a Reserves comp and it's definitely not there from the majority of clubs.

Of course not. The WAFL and SANFL take care of 4 clubs between them, the NEAFL is funded by the AFL and the VFL take care of the rest. Dead money.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7519 times
Been liked: 10815 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL