Panthers look to youth for success

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Postby Wedgie » Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:13 am

This from the Southern Times (messenger) this week, thought a couple of Panthes fans not in the southern areas might appreciate it.
(Ive put the photo included of Cupido at the bottom of the article):

By Andrew Spence

South Adelaide will again rely on youth and a sprinkling of big name recruits to boost its chances in the upcoming SANFL football season.
The club has recruited three former AFL players, including exciting forwward Damian Cupido, delisted from Essendon last year.
Also new are former Carlton and Geelong speedster David Clarke, Kangaroos onballer Josh Thewlis and former Port Power rookie and Woodville-West Torrens forward Dale Ellis.

Cupido, 23, said he had settled in well at the Panthers and was looking forward to the start of the season.
He said he came to South Adelaide to work his way back into the AFL.
"It was my best chance of getting back into the big time," he said.

Players no longer with the Panthers for the 2006 season include Tim Fleming (overseas), Tom Hedge (personal reasons), Michael Davis (studying interstate) and Clinton King (retired). Coach Robert Pyman said the club would continue to promote its youth.
He said a number of juniors at the club were steadily climbing the ranks and young players from surrounding leagues had also been targeted.
"The club really needs to encourage players in the local leagues to to on to bigger things," he said.
"There's been a lot of thought gone into making sure South Adelaide Football Club is the centre of football in the south."

After making a promising start last season, the Panthers, whose players had an average age of 23, lost their final nine games.
The club has not played in finals since 1992.
Pyman siad this year's squad would have an average age closer to 21.
"So there's no doubt things are looking strong for the future."
But he would not be drawn on what goals he had set for his players.
"When we talk about goals, the club's aim is to be competitive week in, week out and that's all the supporters ask."

The Panthers began training in November and will play their first trial match against the Eagles at Noarlunga on March 11.
Practice matches follow against Norwood and Port Adelaide.
South has the bye in round 1 and plays North in round 2 on Saturday, April 8, at home.

Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2052 times
Been liked: 3899 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby JK » Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:33 am

Good news for South, personally I've been astounded by how little opportunity (I know there will be exceptions to the rule) they've given to seemingly quality juniors in recent years ... Good luck to them!
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4462 times
Been liked: 2992 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Wedgie » Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:35 am

Constance_Perm wrote:Good news for South, personally I've been astounded by how little opportunity (I know there will be exceptions to the rule) they've given to seemingly quality juniors in recent years ... Good luck to them!

Agreed, I was amazed to one of the young Selfe's playing for Port last year after spending some time in the riverland.
You don't get people any more passionate in southern suburb footy than the Selfe's yet South seemingly didn't do enough to hold onto them.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby qwerty » Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:53 am

Seems to be a complete turn around from previous years. Pyman recruited recruited recruited and now has changed his tune to go local, perhaps with some influence from the new board?

How many promising locals have been and gone in the past due to this, taking wedgies example as just one of the many!
qwerty
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 4 times

Re: Panthers look to youth for success

Postby Tigers'73 » Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:04 am

Cupido, 23, said he had settled in well at the Panthers and was looking forward to the start of the season.
He said he came to South Adelaide to work his way back into the AFL.
"It was my best chance of getting back into the big time," he said.

Geez you have to wonder wot Cupido is on, he has had two shots at the AFL (Awful Football League), in particular Kevin Sheedy took him on and has had good success with recycled footballers, Essendon give him the flick I couldn't see another club (AFL) wanting him.
Can never understand young footballers who are given the opportunity and stuff it up.

Cheers
Tigers'73
Mini-League

Been liked: 0 time

Postby Ronnie » Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:16 am

to borrow other people's thoughts it does seem a complete reversal from the approach Pyman has taken in the past.
As an outsider he seemed to be after anyone with AFL experience as a recruit. Also, my perception is that he thinks he's a
pale imitation of an AFL coach when he is an SANFL coach which requires it's own intensity level.
so does Pyman's new approach mean the last couple of years have been wasted ones?
Ronnie
Reserves

Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 84 times

Postby MatteeG » Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:52 pm

Reakon even Sideshow could get a look in with that train of thought...
MatteeG
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 511 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby BubblesOfBlue » Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:48 pm

MatteeG, Sideshow was like Sampson form the bible eg NO Hair NO Good!!!!
BubblesOfBlue
Rookie

Has liked: 1 time
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby ORDoubleBlues » Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:04 pm

Does anyone know of anyone that is in the 18-25 year old age bracket that South may have picked up from the Southern FL or Great Southern FL for this season?
Will be interested to see how Cupido does. If he's committed to the cause, he will be of great value but if he does harbor a true desire to return to AFL, he needs to treat this as another AFL season and train and prepare accordingly.
ORDoubleBlues
League - Top 5

Been liked: 10 times
Grassroots Team: Macclesfield

Postby stan » Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:03 pm

Well it was about time this happened. How many promising juniors do you lose before you say "hey maybe this isnt working". Also considering the poor performace of a team of recuirts, what do south have to lose?
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1254 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby doggies4eva » Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:22 pm

Have I missed something? They announce that they have picked up 4 more outsiders inluding the highest profile ex-AFL player in the SANFL. Thats on top of their years of recruiting ousiders many who remain in the team. Now they say they have a youth policy. WTF? :?: How are they going to fit them in their league team? Or are the recruits happy to play reserves?
We used to be good :-(
doggies4eva
League - Best 21

Postby Wedgie » Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:27 pm

doggies4eva wrote:Have I missed something? They announce that they have picked up 4 more outsiders inluding the highest profile ex-AFL player in the SANFL. Thats on top of their years of recruiting ousiders many who remain in the team. Now they say they have a youth policy. WTF? :?: How are they going to fit them in their league team? Or are the recruits happy to play reserves?

Must admit I thought the same thing, poor choice of headlines IMHO.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby stan » Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:57 pm

Wedgie wrote:
doggies4eva wrote:Have I missed something? They announce that they have picked up 4 more outsiders inluding the highest profile ex-AFL player in the SANFL. Thats on top of their years of recruiting ousiders many who remain in the team. Now they say they have a youth policy. WTF? :?: How are they going to fit them in their league team? Or are the recruits happy to play reserves?

Must admit I thought the same thing, poor choice of headlines IMHO.

They have had a fair few leave recently, and they have recurited some players but some younger players will need to step up and fill in those holes. So yeah probably a poor choice of headlines, but its still good that they acknoledge what they need to do.
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1254 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby blueandwhite » Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:34 pm

South had the youngest player group in the sanfl last year, average of 23 yrs.
40% of the training squad at Noarlunga presently is eligible to play u19/17's in 2006.
Personally I know of 1 lad from Mt Compass who has been training with South since November.
Tiocfaidh ár Lá
blueandwhite
League - Best 21

Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 218 times
Grassroots Team: Jamestown-Peterborough

Postby redandblack » Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:38 pm

blueandwhite wrote:South had the youngest player group in the sanfl last year, average of 23 yrs.
40% of the training squad at Noarlunga presently is eligible to play u19/17's in 2006.
Personally I know of 1 lad from Mt Compass who has been training with South since November.

Sorry, blueandwhite, that's more than a year older than Westies average last year.
redandblack

Postby blueandwhite » Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:43 pm

sorry redandblack but I have South at 23 and West at 24 for average age.
South had 4 players older than 27, West had 6.
South had 2 players over 100 games, West 3.
South average games /player was 40, West was 56.

Last year South was the lowest in all these categories in the sanfl.
By the way my "current wife" is a westies supporter and can vouch for the accuracy of the figures I have in front of me.
Tiocfaidh ár Lá
blueandwhite
League - Best 21

Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 218 times
Grassroots Team: Jamestown-Peterborough

Postby doggies4eva » Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:22 am

blueandwhite wrote:sorry redandblack but I have South at 23 and West at 24 for average age.
South had 4 players older than 27, West had 6.
South had 2 players over 100 games, West 3.
South average games /player was 40, West was 56.

Last year South was the lowest in all these categories in the sanfl.
By the way my "current wife" is a westies supporter and can vouch for the accuracy of the figures I have in front of me.

But stats like this don't prove anything. The fact is the club continues to bring in outsiders to play in front of them limiting their chance of further development.
We used to be good :-(
doggies4eva
League - Best 21

Postby Wedgie » Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:25 am

doggies4eva wrote:But stats like this don't prove anything. The fact is the club continues to bring in outsiders to play in front of them limiting their chance of further development.

The stats do prove something, they prove his previous comment to redandblack was 100% correct and that r&b was wrong (assuming his stats are correct).
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby redandblack » Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:28 am

Thanks for that, blueandwhite, I'm sure your figures are correct.

I suppose my case was based on the fact that most of our older players retired during the year, after playing only a few games.

I can tell you that the average age of our team at the end of the year was just over 21.5.

Our oldest player would have been 27 or 28 and our reserves side (like several other clubs) was virtually the previous year's Under 19's and 17's.

Good work, though.
redandblack

Postby redandblack » Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:32 am

Saw your reply after posting, Wedgie.

Perhaps we could ask blueandwhite to calculate who was the oldest team?

Over to you, blueandwhite.
redandblack

Next

Board index   Football  SANFL