Adelaide Oval - NEW Home of SA Footy

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: Adelaide Oval - NEW Home of SA Footy

Postby dedja » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:59 am

who gives a faark about FIFA, let's spend millions for the chance of one game here that may never happen ... gave me a break and leave the hill alone FFS

Qatar has shown FIFA for what they really are ... a corrupt and inept organisation
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 191 times
Been liked: 1004 times

Postby dedja » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:06 pm

Mr Fuller wrote:
dedja wrote:Surely the comparison between Homebush and West Lakes is a piss take? West Lakes is a stones throw compared to Homebush, plus you don't have to travel on the arse end of the train system to get there.

There was and still isn't much wrong with Football Park, and for much, much less the stadium could have been modernised with steeper and closer seating.

Once you're in a seat watching a game, I doubt that you'll say, faark me that $700M was money well spend, what a great view that I wouldn't have got at Football Park. The teams will be the same, the game will still be the same, and the food will be just as shit.

I agree 100% with these comments. Don’t get me wrong, a new stadium is great and it is most ideal to situate this within Adelaide CBD. I will certainly attend games.

However if you are going to do it then do it right. In other words, a completely new stadium rather than a hybrid concept should have been the way forward. If we couldn’t afford this then upgrade footy park at a fraction of the cost. The hybrid solution was a political decision driven largely by the need to differentiate from the Liberal proposal.

The grass is a nice touch but it won’t last. It will be built upon eventually and with it the destruction of the former glory of the Adelaide Oval.
In terms of ‘improved viewing’ that may be so but I doubt that will be the driver to get more people to games. People will attend regardless. And seriously, how many % improvements will viewing be enhanced anyway? It will be so minimal that once the game starts people won’t even notice.

spot on ...
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Postby Panther Pack » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:09 pm

I like the new Adelaide Oval upgrade.

Sat in the Chappell Stands for the Cricket 2 summers back and it was a shit hole!!!!!

To be honest I think all minor finals should be played at home ground of team that finishes higher so the only time AO would then be required is for the Grand Final!!!!!

Will be interested to see if the SANFL Grand Final is a week after the AFL Grand Final I hope it is love it being on the Long Weekend however I'm concerned the AFL clubs will try to talk the SANFL into changing the dates!!!!!!!
Panther Pack
Reserves

Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 143 times

Postby Dutchy » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:24 pm

Australia will one day hold the FIFA World Cup, and the demand a fully seated stadium, as part of all this there will be funding to upgrade existing stadiums and SA won't knock back this offer. And the killing off of Adelaide Oval as one of the best cricket grounds in the world will be complete.

And as both sports will now be played at Adelaide Oval, cricket (rightly so) will want access to the ground in late September, remembering that footy take control in early March therefore not allowing the Shield final to be played there :roll: hence the SANFL will blame cricket for wanting the ground and the October Long Weekend SANFL GF will be no more when in fact it will be the new AFL clubs in the league that will want it that way so their players can get back to preseason much earlier.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2330 times
Been liked: 3549 times

Postby tigerhutch » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:37 pm

why would the shield final be played at Adelaide Oval ? are one of the interstae cricket sides relocating to SA ?

I think there is more chance of the bays winning a premiership then Australia hosting world cup soccer
Vote for King Thistle and the Wise Old Elf ... you know it makes sense
tigerhutch
Rookie

Has liked: 42 times
Been liked: 5 times
Grassroots Team: Boston

Postby lutz » Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:04 pm

Dutchy wrote:It is not FIFA compliant, FIFA states that the stadium must be all seated, as does hosting games of the Rugby World Cup. Hence why the hill and scoreboard will only remain for a few years, as soon as Australia hosts one of these major events it will be fully enclosed.

Its a disgrace, despite the look of a dunny seat which interstate people are already calling it, our great city is going from 2 Stadiums to 1, how is that progress???

It's not like there's a surplus of events... AAMI sits dormant for 6 months of the year, as does AO. Makes sense to me.
Dutchy wrote:Australia will one day hold the FIFA World Cup, and the demand a fully seated stadium, as part of all this there will be funding to upgrade existing stadiums and SA won't knock back this offer. And the killing off of Adelaide Oval as one of the best cricket grounds in the world will be complete.

And as both sports will now be played at Adelaide Oval, cricket (rightly so) will want access to the ground in late September, remembering that footy take control in early March therefore not allowing the Shield final to be played there :roll: hence the SANFL will blame cricket for wanting the ground and the October Long Weekend SANFL GF will be no more when in fact it will be the new AFL clubs in the league that will want it that way so their players can get back to preseason much earlier.

I'd rather keep the hill and scoreboard than host a World Cup game in Adelaide. I'm starting to doubt if Australia will host a WC in my lifetime haha.
lutz
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 16 times

Postby Hondo » Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:58 pm

FIFA regulations allow for temporary stands and this is the solution already made public for the AO Northern mound so that argument is void.
In between signatures .....
Hondo
Coach

Has liked: 70 times
Been liked: 32 times

Postby dedja » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:01 pm

Tell FIFA to get faarked, or just do what everyone else does and bribe them, name the price and the decision will be yours ...
dedja
Coach

Postby therisingblues » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:03 pm

lutz wrote:
I'd rather keep the hill and scoreboard than host a World Cup game in Adelaide. I'm starting to doubt if Australia will host a WC in my lifetime haha.

I'm pretty sure FIFA's beef is that every ticket sold must have a seat.
Just don't sell tickets for hill!
I think you'll find people will leave their seat to go stand/sit on the hill anyway. It's very symbolic of the Aussie approach to life. I can tell you with the authority of someone who's lived overseas for thirteen years (or maybe I'm so thick it took me 13 years o/s to realise) Australians have a genuine uniqueness about them, and a hill at a sports stadium somehow sums it all up.
Should have a World Heritage slapped on it IMHO.
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Dutchy » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:37 pm

Hondo wrote:FIFA regulations allow for temporary stands and this is the solution already made public for the AO Northern mound so that argument is void.

Temporary stands at a world cup? Nup...

If they manage to get a socceroos game in the meantime I would hope they put the pitch right down the Southern end, you would still get 40k and it would be much more intimate than putting it in the middle of the oval.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Hondo » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:39 pm

With this talk about the Hill being demolished for FIFA when we know it doesn't need to be it seems the "lies are starting to surface" from the NO camp ;)
Hondo
Coach

Postby Hondo » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:43 pm

Dutchy FIFA allow it check their regulations so it's actually "yep" or are you deliberately trying to cloud the issue?

Also check the Adelaide Oval site for discussion about FIFA compliance
Hondo
Coach

Postby RustyCage » Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:28 pm

Why should what we do here be determined by the most corrupt organization in sport?
I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run
RustyCage

Has liked: 1260 times
Been liked: 933 times

Postby dedja » Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:31 pm

Correction, one of the most corrupt.

Not sure if FIFA is no.1 or 2 compared to the IOC.
dedja
Coach

Postby whufc » Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:32 pm

dedja wrote:Correction, one of the most corrupt.

Your being very kind not giving Andy D a mention either.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5603 times
Been liked: 2535 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby RustyCage » Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:56 pm

dedja wrote:Correction, one of the most corrupt.

Ah yes, good point! Haha
I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run
RustyCage

Has liked: 1260 times
Been liked: 933 times

Postby whufc » Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:29 pm

Looking into the future what I can see that will be classically Adelaide Ironic

Is that for years money of the major downfalls of footy park was its location and more so lack of accessibility, ordinary public transport, parking, traffic flow etc

Give it a few years at AO and the major complaint will be u can't take ur car there, u always have to get public transport and the parking is non exsistant
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5603 times
Been liked: 2535 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Psyber » Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:45 pm

Rik E Boy wrote:
Psyber wrote:Adelaide Oval? ho-hum...
I'm unlikely to ever go there - parking is going to be hopeless from what I've read, and bussing it is likely to be impractical for me.

For anything I do need to attend to in the CBD I try to drive to Parkside than bus it in the rest of the way, rather than get ripped off for the parking.
I could go by bus on my Seniors Card for free but it takes too long, and it is easier for me to just drive to Marion or Mount Barker instead.
Catch a bus you elitest ****.
regards,
REB
As I said, it takes too long...
Home to the CBD is 50+ minutes by bus, 15 minutes by car - isn't that the reason most people still use their cars?
Just because I'm getting older doesn't mean I don't have a life, and better things to do with my time... :lol:
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 393 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby test » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:39 pm

Was in the western stand today, got to check out the new coaches boxes on level 2, and the media rooms on level 5, great viewing.

Interesting to hear the new boundary footy benches constructed on the western wing, after completion have been ordered to be ripped down and re-built, a high ranking SACA official didn't like the color of the frames, or the sheets used to cover the roof...... No wonder the budget blows out!
test
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 143 times
Been liked: 31 times
Grassroots Team: Wallaroo

Postby Dutchy » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:28 pm

Hondo wrote:Dutchy FIFA allow it check their regulations so it's actually "yep" or are you deliberately trying to cloud the issue?

Also check the Adelaide Oval site for discussion about FIFA compliance

Tell me the last time a temporary stand was used in a world cup stadium?
Dutchy
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL