The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: The 2014 season no AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Postby bennymacca » Thu May 22, 2014 11:18 am

Wonder what the costs of that would be as opposed to a full afl reserves comp would be. You would have to think significantly less.

Wonder what those other clubs would think of effectively copping a demotion though. It's different here because there would still be a viable comp left but the majority of teams in Vic are now reserves teams
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu May 22, 2014 11:35 am

That's changing, seems most Melbourne-based clubs are heading to having their own reserves
The comp is already 16 teams, if clubs revert to their stand alone status and AFL clubs field reserves, it will be unwieldy.
We may be seeing a change in direction.

AFL: Essendon, Richmond, Footscray, Collingwood, Geelong.
Affiliated: Box Hill, Casey, Northern Blues, North Ballarat and Werribee (both North Melbourne), Sandringham (Saints and Sandy wish to end this in 2015).
Non-affiliated: Port Melbourne, Williamstown, Coburg, Frankston, Bendigo Gold.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby bennymacca » Thu May 22, 2014 12:02 pm

Good point, forgot about the affiliations as opposed to the full reserves teams. Big difference in the fact that there would be affiliated clubs left.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby TimmiesChin » Thu May 22, 2014 12:23 pm

LPH wrote:What shits me the most is the extra Clubs were required to pay a license fee of $4 Million!!!

A couple of the expansion clubs have had to pay the $4 million twice :)
TimmiesChin
Under 18s

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 14 times

Postby Dutchy » Thu May 22, 2014 12:35 pm

Macca19 wrote:
Dutchy wrote:And here we go again, Port Adelaide pushing the blame elsewhere, just like previous issues like -

"SANFL forced us to keep the Magpies and move them to Ethelton"
"SANFL screwed us on the Footy Park stadium deal"

You agreed to it FFS!!!! You signed on the bottom line!!!!

Actually, muppet, the agreements havent been signed and are up for review in July. You can expect them to change if Adelaide made no money out of a 50k crowd.

So no agreement in place yet still whinging?

You now saying the Crows do not make any $ out of a 50k crowd?

Muppet :lol:
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2329 times
Been liked: 3539 times

Postby Dutchy » Thu May 22, 2014 12:38 pm

hereselmo1 wrote:
You're assuming an early Power exit Dutchy?

I know we lost to your boys but...

No not at all, the key test to this concept will be when the AFL team finishes its season 3-4 weeks prior to the SANFL team, does the Power really want its developing/young talent playing on deep into a SANFL season when they will come back to pre-season 3-4 weeks later than the others?
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2329 times
Been liked: 3539 times

Postby JK » Thu May 22, 2014 12:46 pm

Dutchy wrote:
hereselmo1 wrote:
You're assuming an early Power exit Dutchy?

I know we lost to your boys but...

No not at all, the key test to this concept will be when the AFL team finishes its season 3-4 weeks prior to the SANFL team, does the Power really want its developing/young talent playing on deep into a SANFL season when they will come back to pre-season 3-4 weeks later than the others?

SANFL season finishes earlier than the AFL season now I think, so it shouldn't be a problem .. Late season surgeries when the AFL club is out of the finals race could have a big bearing on the SANFL premiership race, but that's pretty obvious due to the AFL clubs' priorities.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4464 times
Been liked: 2992 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Jim05 » Thu May 22, 2014 1:14 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:That's changing, seems most Melbourne-based clubs are heading to having their own reserves
The comp is already 16 teams, if clubs revert to their stand alone status and AFL clubs field reserves, it will be unwieldy.
We may be seeing a change in direction.

AFL: Essendon, Richmond, Footscray, Collingwood, Geelong.
Affiliated: Box Hill, Casey, Northern Blues, North Ballarat and Werribee (both North Melbourne), Sandringham (Saints and Sandy wish to end this in 2015).
Non-affiliated: Port Melbourne, Williamstown, Coburg, Frankston, Bendigo Gold.

The stand alone clubs have been in discussion for awhile now about a break away league, I think if they can convince another couple of affiliated clubs to ditch their AFL partnerships they will get a seperate comp going.
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3554 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby bennymacca » Thu May 22, 2014 1:22 pm

That would provide impetus for crows and power to join vic reserves I would think
bennymacca
Coach

Postby mal » Thu May 22, 2014 1:24 pm

"Port Adelaide is an AFL team playing in the SANFL
It has a side predominantly made up of full time footballers, benefiting from professional coaching and preparation."

This is not a quote from any of us on this thread
Its from a Port Adelaide Historian
mal
Coach

Has liked: 1164 times
Been liked: 916 times

Postby CUTTERMAN » Thu May 22, 2014 2:02 pm

Unless it comes from Lord Father Kock they won't believe anything.
'PAFC don't want any advantages in the SANFL. It would only take away from any achievements we earned.'
Keith Thomas ABC 891 Radio, 21/6/14.
CUTTERMAN
League - Top 5

Has liked: 213 times
Been liked: 124 times

Postby topsywaldron » Thu May 22, 2014 2:47 pm

Macca19 wrote:Actually, muppet, the agreements havent been signed and are up for review in July. You can expect them to change if Adelaide made no money out of a 50k crowd.

What interests me is how these so called professional clubs finds these kinds of costs a mystery.

Lots of complaining afterwards, big surprise there, but what's the use of all the fancy MBAs in the world if you don't bother to look at the costs borne in concert with the revenue.

It would come as no surprise to the club that traffic management expenses would be incurred, why are they complaining now? It implies they didn't know what they were actually going to be before the first invoice turned up.

As always with the AFL clubs they like to barrel on about best practice but when reality hits you realise they've not got a clue.
'People are not stupid. They know when they are being conned. And two reserves teams operating in a League competition will reduce it to a farce, a competition without a soul.'

Dion Hayman 24th July 2013
topsywaldron
Veteran

Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 218 times

Postby TimmiesChin » Thu May 22, 2014 2:54 pm

You never received a quote which ended up being different to final cost ?

That being said, there's a lot we don't know. Ie - what is included in match day revenue....
TimmiesChin
Under 18s

Postby topsywaldron » Thu May 22, 2014 3:00 pm

TimmiesChin wrote:You never received a quote which ended up being different to final cost ?

The two AFL franchises are squealing in a way that indicates they never even got a quote.

Most muppets know closing roads in Adelaide is ludicrously expensive, apart from the financial gurus at Port and the Cows apparently.

I wonder which other 'surprising' expenses will be next to be moaned about.
'People are not stupid. They know when they are being conned. And two reserves teams operating in a League competition will reduce it to a farce, a competition without a soul.'

topsywaldron
Veteran

Postby TimmiesChin » Thu May 22, 2014 3:00 pm

mal wrote:Quote

"Port Adelaide is an AFL team playing in the SANFL
It has a side predominantly made up of full time footballers, benefiting from professional coaching and preparation."

This is not a quote from any of us on this thread
Its from a Port Adelaide Historian

well lets be honest, its from Michaelangelo Rucci.
TimmiesChin
Under 18s

Postby Macca19 » Thu May 22, 2014 3:03 pm

topsywaldron wrote:
Macca19 wrote:Actually, muppet, the agreements havent been signed and are up for review in July. You can expect them to change if Adelaide made no money out of a 50k crowd.

What interests me is how these so called professional clubs finds these kinds of costs a mystery.

Lots of complaining afterwards, big surprise there, but what's the use of all the fancy MBAs in the world if you don't bother to look at the costs borne in concert with the revenue.

It would come as no surprise to the club that traffic management expenses would be incurred, why are they complaining now? It implies they didn't know what they were actually going to be before the first invoice turned up.

As always with the AFL clubs they like to barrel on about best practice but when reality hits you realise they've not got a clue.

I think its fair to say an $18k traffic bill is a mystery when its more than 18x what gets charged in Victoria, and 20x what gets charged in WA.

I think its fair to call it a mystery how a club cant make any money on a sell out, 50k crowd. If you cant make any money with almost every single seat taken, how do you make money on game days?
Macca19
League - Best 21

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 10 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby TimmiesChin » Thu May 22, 2014 3:08 pm

topsywaldron wrote:
TimmiesChin wrote:You never received a quote which ended up being different to final cost ?

The two AFL franchises are squealing in a way that indicates they never even got a quote.
Most muppets know closing roads in Adelaide is ludicrously expensive, apart from the financial gurus at Port and the Cows apparently.
I wonder which other 'surprising' expenses will be next to be moaned about.

Well we don't really know exactly what they are squealing about, we just know they have concerns about the revenue.

The mention of traffic control was made by a Port Adelaide historian.

We don't know what arrangement they signed up to under the covers.
We don't know what falls under the banner of match day revenue etc....

I mean, if the revenue drop is simply because patrons aren't spending as much in bars and food outlets, then that's bad luck for them, but if its because they were told they would get a 50% cut of something, but they are now getting only 20% of it, then this is an entirely different matter.

Money is obviously important to them, and they aren't alone... if I recall correctly, 7 of the 9 SANFL clubs sold out the comp for 40K extra a year.
TimmiesChin
Under 18s

Postby dedja » Thu May 22, 2014 4:06 pm

$100k extra
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 188 times
Been liked: 1002 times

Postby dedja » Thu May 22, 2014 4:07 pm

And LOL at those who take the Tuscan Boy's figures as gospel.
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 188 times
Been liked: 1002 times

Postby topsywaldron » Thu May 22, 2014 4:19 pm

Macca19 wrote:I think its fair to say an $18k traffic bill is a mystery when its more than 18x what gets charged in Victoria, and 20x what gets charged in WA.

I think its fair to call it a mystery how a club cant make any money on a sell out, 50k crowd. If you cant make any money with almost every single seat taken, how do you make money on game days?

I reckon the bigger mystery is why they didn't do their homework before agreeing to play there then.

That road closure bills are eighteen times Victoria is neither here nor there in this case, that it came as a surprise to the AFL clubs should frighten people who believe in their financial infallibility.

topsywaldron
Veteran

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL