R6 Centrals v Norwood Saturday 3.05 PM

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: R6 Centrals v Norwood Saturday 3.05 PM

Postby StrayDog » Sun May 09, 2021 5:23 am

Locky wrote:
nwdfanparade wrote:but taking a rule of the thumb, as step or a pace being a metre


Ummm - maybe if you're walking, or if you're running, but you are about 5 years old.
For a typical bloke running at a decent pace, stride length would be 1.5 - 2m. Sprinters are up at around 2.5m.

I think average walking pace for a bloke is thought to be about 0.78m. Just saying.

Regarding sprinters, it does vary a bit. At 6' 5" (1.95m), Usain Bolt was about 2.44 metres per stride at his 9.27 second world record. Bloke that came last in that race was about 2.22m, but I have seen averages at closer to 2 metres (almost 50 paces) with some sprinters in high level meets. From fresh starts on Olympic standard surfaces.

But, a 1.87m, 80kg second tier league footballer, late in the game, on a damp day on thick spongy grass on a short burst?

:neutral:
"— here I opened wide the door; —
Darkness there, and nothing more."


- Edgar Allan Poe from " The Raven "

StrayDog
League Bench Warmer
 
 
Posts: 1308
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 5:26 pm
Location: Copping a "feel for the game"
Has liked: 818 times
Been liked: 169 times

Re: R6 Centrals v Norwood Saturday 3.05 PM

Postby Pseudo » Sun May 09, 2021 8:33 am

StrayDog wrote:
nwdfanparade wrote:When are Central District Football Club going to do about their ground clock losing time? I (as a supporter not an official game time keeper) started my stop watch at the start of each quarter. By the end of each quarter the ground clock was 7 seconds slow. Its been that way for some seasons. 7 seconds may not be much but its a discrepancy that affects the players and spectators.

When are you starting your watch, at the siren or immediately after the ball hits the turf at the opening bounce? Just curious.

... and does it take 7 seconds to wind it up?
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
User avatar
Pseudo
Coach
 
 
Posts: 10936
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:11 am
Location: enculez-vous
Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1252 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Re: R6 Centrals v Norwood Saturday 3.05 PM

Postby nwdfanparade » Sun May 09, 2021 12:36 pm

Pseudo wrote:
StrayDog wrote:
nwdfanparade wrote:When are Central District Football Club going to do about their ground clock losing time? I (as a supporter not an official game time keeper) started my stop watch at the start of each quarter. By the end of each quarter the ground clock was 7 seconds slow. Its been that way for some seasons. 7 seconds may not be much but its a discrepancy that affects the players and spectators.

When are you starting your watch, at the siren or immediately after the ball hits the turf at the opening bounce? Just curious.

... and does it take 7 seconds to wind it up?


I start my stopwatch the moment the ball touches the ground when the umpire bounces the ball or when the ball leaves his hands when throwing the ball up which is the same as when the 2 official timekeepers start their stopwatches. The siren just before the the start of each quarter is just the time keepers acknowledging the umpire holding the ball up to indicate the umpire is about to start the quarter by bouncing or throwing the ball up.

My stopwatch keeps par with other ground clocks at other grounds unless the ground clock starts early or late. but no other club's ground clock loses time. its only at Xconvenience oval that the ground clock loses time.

'
Next Doggies home game do a test yourself comparing your mobile phone's stop watch (or take a stopwatch to the game) and the ground clock at the oval.
User avatar
nwdfanparade
Under 18s
 
 
Posts: 540
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:07 pm
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 43 times

Re: R6 Centrals v Norwood Saturday 3.05 PM

Postby ferret » Sun May 09, 2021 12:47 pm

northerner wrote:Dogs 4 and a half goals down at 3 quarter.
Kick the first in the last and then the second... but the umpire calls East for running too far.
Momentum shaker.
Josh Hardy is the name... must not umpire league next week. (Though Harris also did us no favours all day)

Dogs win the clearances and win the inside 50s.
But efficiency was down and contested marks 3 to 17.


One of the most disgraceful decisions I've seen. How often in field play do players run 20-25 metres without bouncing and don't get penalised and how often do umpires award marks for kicks that have only gone 10-12 metres. Norwood players had given up on the play and would have been accepting of the goal. So what if the player had run a few metres more than allowed, the spirit of the game was scuttled by an officious umpire. The decision rated as poorly as the umpire who paid a mark to one of the Menzels when it clearly bounced a metre and a half in front of him, a goal resulted.
User avatar
ferret
Reserves
 
 
Posts: 775
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2005 2:16 pm
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 83 times

Re: R6 Centrals v Norwood Saturday 3.05 PM

Postby Psyber » Sun May 09, 2021 1:02 pm

nwdfanparade wrote:
Pseudo wrote:
Jim05 wrote:Worst decision of the year

Run too far? Agreed.


I watched the incident on my dvd recorder when I got home. Counted 11 steps from the time he received the ball to when he went to kick the ball.

Depends how long the strides were...

I watched it on TV live and I called it "too far" before the umpire did although I did not expect the umpire to call it.
It looked like he had meant to bounce it one stride earlier but changed his mind.
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
User avatar
Psyber
Coach
 
 
Posts: 11916
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:43 pm
Location: Now back in the Adelaide Hills.
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 319 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Re: R6 Centrals v Norwood Saturday 3.05 PM

Postby Hazydog » Sun May 09, 2021 3:42 pm

And how many times do we shout “how far” with no whistle resulting. At the game I didn’t even consider he had run too far...very poor decision which continued the trend of the day..
Players win touches, Teams win matches, Clubs win Premierships.
User avatar
Hazydog
Reserves
 
 
Posts: 867
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2005 10:02 pm
Location: Paralowie
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 102 times

Re: R6 Centrals v Norwood Saturday 3.05 PM

Postby nwdfanparade » Sun May 09, 2021 4:47 pm

Hazydog wrote:And how many times do we shout “how far” with no whistle resulting. At the game I didn’t even consider he had run too far...very poor decision which continued the trend of the day..


Doggie supporters didn't complain about the umpiring last year when they played Norwood at Xconvenience oval despite a controversial (poor?) decision concerning a goal which may or may not have been kicked after the siren.
User avatar
nwdfanparade
Under 18s
 
 
Posts: 540
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:07 pm
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 43 times

Re: R6 Centrals v Norwood Saturday 3.05 PM

Postby DOC » Sun May 09, 2021 4:49 pm

Hazydog wrote:And how many times do we shout “how far” with no whistle resulting. At the game I didn’t even consider he had run too far...very poor decision which continued the trend of the day..


I'll guess 5.
User avatar
DOC
Coach
 
 
Posts: 12227
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 7:15 pm
Has liked: 362 times
Been liked: 1266 times

Re: R6 Centrals v Norwood Saturday 3.05 PM

Postby StrayDog » Sun May 09, 2021 6:17 pm

nwdfanparade wrote:
Hazydog wrote:And how many times do we shout “how far” with no whistle resulting. At the game I didn’t even consider he had run too far...very poor decision which continued the trend of the day..


Doggie supporters didn't complain about the umpiring last year when they played Norwood at Xconvenience oval despite a controversial (poor?) decision concerning a goal which may or may not have been kicked after the siren.


From that game's thread:-
nwdfanparade wrote:
bulldogproud wrote: Perhaps strange to say, but I did feel a bit sorry for Norwood today. They were perhaps hard done by at the end of the third quarter when Benny Nason (in his best game for the season) was credited with a goal that appeared to be kicked after the siren. However, the rule does say that the quarter ends when the umpire in charge 'hears' the siren... so it was there, but very lucky! One second later and it may not have been counted.


Quarter ends when the umpire acknowledges the siren by placing his hands in the air. With 3 umpires such a situation can lead to confusion of who and when which umpire heard and acknowledged the siren.

3 and a 1/2 quarters to get on top of the bottom team, 3 and a 1/2 quarters of exchanging goals. Can't blame the last ten minutes for the loss.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=43173#p2449014


It looks like a few of us had a case of the pragmatics that day.

FWIW, that was certainly not the first time Centrals have been on the happy end of technical calls on our home ground. One free kick given against a South player in 2012 for deliberately disposing over the goal line at the southern end springs to mind. Opinion was divided on here on that one at the time, not the least among Centrals supporters. That is to say, there were certainly 'Dogs supporters "complaining" about that favourable call.

Far enough off topic but I think I think I've made my point.

It might also be noted that, regardless of its merits, 'Dogs fans haven't been lone voices on Saturday's call either.

Play on.
"— here I opened wide the door; —
Darkness there, and nothing more."


- Edgar Allan Poe from " The Raven "

StrayDog
League Bench Warmer
 
 
Posts: 1308
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 5:26 pm
Location: Copping a "feel for the game"
Has liked: 818 times
Been liked: 169 times

Re: R6 Centrals v Norwood Saturday 3.05 PM

Postby gazzamagoo » Sun May 09, 2021 8:13 pm

At this point in time, that looks like the only way we'll score goals, running in to an open one.
We DESPERATELY need........
another ruckman, the ruckman in the reserves is shorter than Marsh!
2 blokes over 6 foot 4 that can, if not mark the ball, keep it in the area.
Again we had more inside 50's but no-one to take the grab, it goes out as quick as it comes in.
These are the goals in the off-season, we get plenty of the ball but struggle to convert.
gazzamagoo
Reserves
 
 
Posts: 970
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:48 pm
Has liked: 755 times
Been liked: 279 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Re: R6 Centrals v Norwood Saturday 3.05 PM

Postby am Bays » Sun May 09, 2021 8:20 pm

Welcome to Glenelg circa 2011-2017
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
User avatar
am Bays
Coach
 
 
Posts: 15727
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2005 11:04 pm
Location: The back bar at Lennies
Has liked: 112 times
Been liked: 1144 times

Re: R6 Centrals v Norwood Saturday 3.05 PM

Postby whufc » Sun May 09, 2021 8:28 pm

gazzamagoo wrote:At this point in time, that looks like the only way we'll score goals, running in to an open one.
We DESPERATELY need........
another ruckman, the ruckman in the reserves is shorter than Marsh!
2 blokes over 6 foot 4 that can, if not mark the ball, keep it in the area.
Again we had more inside 50's but no-one to take the grab, it goes out as quick as it comes in.
These are the goals in the off-season, we get plenty of the ball but struggle to convert.


Sadly they should have been the goals for the last 5 years. I cannot fathom how we haven’t solved that problem that is so obvious to every supporter.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
User avatar
whufc
Coach
 
 
Posts: 22706
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:56 am
Location: Blakeview
Has liked: 4049 times
Been liked: 1773 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Re: R6 Centrals v Norwood Saturday 3.05 PM

Postby gazzamagoo » Sun May 09, 2021 8:51 pm

whufc wrote:
gazzamagoo wrote:At this point in time, that looks like the only way we'll score goals, running in to an open one.
We DESPERATELY need........
another ruckman, the ruckman in the reserves is shorter than Marsh!
2 blokes over 6 foot 4 that can, if not mark the ball, keep it in the area.
Again we had more inside 50's but no-one to take the grab, it goes out as quick as it comes in.
These are the goals in the off-season, we get plenty of the ball but struggle to convert.


Sadly they should have been the goals for the last 5 years. I cannot fathom how we haven’t solved that problem that is so obvious to every supporter.

I'll give you an idea as to why.
I was talking to one of the Norwood players back in the club after the match (BTW, thank you Norwood for ALL of your players coming back for presentations), he is/was a Central supporter, dad played for us, his reason for not wanting to play for us?
"Can't be stuffed travelling all that way for training & playing",
and that's a HUGE problem we now have, I know it never used to be a problem in the early 2000's, but kids have changed, times have changed.
And, apart from the brief successful period we had, it was a problem before that for years as well.
We need to dangle a much larger carrot but we need money & resources to do that.
The changing of the guard at the end of this season might be a step in the right direction, who knows & only time will tell.
gazzamagoo
Reserves
 
 
Posts: 970
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:48 pm
Has liked: 755 times
Been liked: 279 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Re: R6 Centrals v Norwood Saturday 3.05 PM

Postby Jim05 » Sun May 09, 2021 11:21 pm

gazzamagoo wrote:
whufc wrote:
gazzamagoo wrote:At this point in time, that looks like the only way we'll score goals, running in to an open one.
We DESPERATELY need........
another ruckman, the ruckman in the reserves is shorter than Marsh!
2 blokes over 6 foot 4 that can, if not mark the ball, keep it in the area.
Again we had more inside 50's but no-one to take the grab, it goes out as quick as it comes in.
These are the goals in the off-season, we get plenty of the ball but struggle to convert.


Sadly they should have been the goals for the last 5 years. I cannot fathom how we haven’t solved that problem that is so obvious to every supporter.

I'll give you an idea as to why.
I was talking to one of the Norwood players back in the club after the match (BTW, thank you Norwood for ALL of your players coming back for presentations), he is/was a Central supporter, dad played for us, his reason for not wanting to play for us?
"Can't be stuffed travelling all that way for training & playing",
and that's a HUGE problem we now have, I know it never used to be a problem in the early 2000's, but kids have changed, times have changed.
And, apart from the brief successful period we had, it was a problem before that for years as well.
We need to dangle a much larger carrot but we need money & resources to do that.
The changing of the guard at the end of this season might be a step in the right direction, who knows & only time will tell.
Was that a genuine thank you or a sarcastic one?
I’d like to think all our players stayed back. Travel is definitely a issue even though it shouldn’t be. Reality is that things go in cycles and after the success you had I don’t mind seeing you have a few years in the wilderness ;)
Jim05
Coach
 
 
Posts: 43759
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:03 pm
Has liked: 1114 times
Been liked: 2916 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Re: R6 Centrals v Norwood Saturday 3.05 PM

Postby beef » Mon May 10, 2021 8:15 am

gazzamagoo wrote:At this point in time, that looks like the only way we'll score goals, running in to an open one.
We DESPERATELY need........
another ruckman, the ruckman in the reserves is shorter than Marsh!
2 blokes over 6 foot 4 that can, if not mark the ball, keep it in the area.
Again we had more inside 50's but no-one to take the grab, it goes out as quick as it comes in.
These are the goals in the off-season, we get plenty of the ball but struggle to convert.

Maybe you should be looking at the two 200cm+ ruckman & full forward in the 18s to at least play reserves and start seriously promoting youth
The fact that Isiah Dudley is playing 18s is a joke
Dropping Cannizaro after 2 games to pick someone who walked out on the club is strange (even though hes tall - which seems to be every centrals supporters #1 selection criteria)
User avatar
beef
League - Best 21
 
Posts: 1589
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:34 pm
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 227 times

Re: R6 Centrals v Norwood Saturday 3.05 PM

Postby gazzamagoo » Mon May 10, 2021 8:25 am

Jim05 wrote:
gazzamagoo wrote:
whufc wrote:
gazzamagoo wrote:At this point in time, that looks like the only way we'll score goals, running in to an open one.
We DESPERATELY need........
another ruckman, the ruckman in the reserves is shorter than Marsh!
2 blokes over 6 foot 4 that can, if not mark the ball, keep it in the area.
Again we had more inside 50's but no-one to take the grab, it goes out as quick as it comes in.
These are the goals in the off-season, we get plenty of the ball but struggle to convert.


Sadly they should have been the goals for the last 5 years. I cannot fathom how we haven’t solved that problem that is so obvious to every supporter.

I'll give you an idea as to why.
I was talking to one of the Norwood players back in the club after the match (BTW, thank you Norwood for ALL of your players coming back for presentations), he is/was a Central supporter, dad played for us, his reason for not wanting to play for us?
"Can't be stuffed travelling all that way for training & playing",
and that's a HUGE problem we now have, I know it never used to be a problem in the early 2000's, but kids have changed, times have changed.
And, apart from the brief successful period we had, it was a problem before that for years as well.
We need to dangle a much larger carrot but we need money & resources to do that.
The changing of the guard at the end of this season might be a step in the right direction, who knows & only time will tell.
Was that a genuine thank you or a sarcastic one?
I’d like to think all our players stayed back. Travel is definitely a issue even though it shouldn’t be. Reality is that things go in cycles and after the success you had I don’t mind seeing you have a few years in the wilderness ;)


a genuine one!
gazzamagoo
Reserves
 
 
Posts: 970
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:48 pm
Has liked: 755 times
Been liked: 279 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Re: R6 Centrals v Norwood Saturday 3.05 PM

Postby Jim05 » Mon May 10, 2021 9:10 am

gazzamagoo wrote:
Jim05 wrote:
gazzamagoo wrote:
whufc wrote:[quote="gazzamagoo"]At this point in time, that looks like the only way we'll score goals, running in to an open one.
We DESPERATELY need........
another ruckman, the ruckman in the reserves is shorter than Marsh!
2 blokes over 6 foot 4 that can, if not mark the ball, keep it in the area.
Again we had more inside 50's but no-one to take the grab, it goes out as quick as it comes in.
These are the goals in the off-season, we get plenty of the ball but struggle to convert.


Sadly they should have been the goals for the last 5 years. I cannot fathom how we haven’t solved that problem that is so obvious to every supporter.

I'll give you an idea as to why.
I was talking to one of the Norwood players back in the club after the match (BTW, thank you Norwood for ALL of your players coming back for presentations), he is/was a Central supporter, dad played for us, his reason for not wanting to play for us?
"Can't be stuffed travelling all that way for training & playing",
and that's a HUGE problem we now have, I know it never used to be a problem in the early 2000's, but kids have changed, times have changed.
And, apart from the brief successful period we had, it was a problem before that for years as well.
We need to dangle a much larger carrot but we need money & resources to do that.
The changing of the guard at the end of this season might be a step in the right direction, who knows & only time will tell.
Was that a genuine thank you or a sarcastic one?
I’d like to think all our players stayed back. Travel is definitely a issue even though it shouldn’t be. Reality is that things go in cycles and after the success you had I don’t mind seeing you have a few years in the wilderness ;)


a genuine one![/quote]Good to hear. I know it’s been a issue in the past for the some clubs
Jim05
Coach
 
 
Posts: 43759
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:03 pm
Has liked: 1114 times
Been liked: 2916 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Re: R6 Centrals v Norwood Saturday 3.05 PM

Postby whufc » Mon May 10, 2021 9:21 am

Wonder why other clubs would find it an issue.

I get it if you are only going after a game that you win and not when you lose....that's a tad smug but if you are doing it each time regardless of results clubs should appreciate it
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
User avatar
whufc
Coach
 
 
Posts: 22706
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:56 am
Location: Blakeview
Has liked: 4049 times
Been liked: 1773 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Re: R6 Centrals v Norwood Saturday 3.05 PM

Postby JK » Mon May 10, 2021 9:51 am

ferret wrote:
One of the most disgraceful decisions I've seen. How often in field play do players run 20-25 metres without bouncing and don't get penalised and how often do umpires award marks for kicks that have only gone 10-12 metres. Norwood players had given up on the play and would have been accepting of the goal. So what if the player had run a few metres more than allowed, the spirit of the game was scuttled by an officious umpire.


Yep, this post pretty well sums up my thoughts. I'd have been filthy if I were a Dogs supporter.
FUSC
User avatar
JK
Coach
 
 
Posts: 36488
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2005 10:11 am
Location: Coopers Hill
Has liked: 3853 times
Been liked: 2614 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Re: R6 Centrals v Norwood Saturday 3.05 PM

Postby southernbulldog » Mon May 10, 2021 9:59 am

Jakob Thomson maybe shorter than Marsh but he has a good leap ,hes a good kick and does a bit around the ground and hes not frightened to throw his weight around either.May as well look at him i reckon we have nothing to lose by giving him a go .
southernbulldog
Under 16s
 
 
Posts: 375
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:30 pm
Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 99 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 3 guests