Wolf Creek

Movies, TV Shows, Fringe, etc.

Wolf Creek

Postby Magpiespower » Sun Nov 06, 2005 3:17 pm

Technically, the best Australian film made this year.

By a long way.

In terms of direction, cinematography, editing, soundtrack, it's brilliant.

(Though it is missing a second act.)

Morally, well, that's another story.

And why the 'based on real events' deceit?

Definitely 'inspired' by Milat/Falconio (especially the 'head on a stick' reference.)

But it's a work of fiction.
Magpiespower
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 125 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Re: Wolf Creek

Postby Jimmy » Sun Nov 06, 2005 3:45 pm

Magpiespower wrote:Technically, the best Australian film made this year.

By a long way.

In terms of direction, cinematography, editing, soundtrack, it's brilliant.

(Though it is missing a second act.)

Morally, well, that's another story.

And why the 'based on real events' deceit?

Definitely 'inspired' by Milat/Falconio (especially the 'head on a stick' reference.)

But it's a work of fiction.

whos in it?
Carn the blues!!!!!
Jimmy
Coach

Has liked: 125 times
Been liked: 44 times

Postby Magpiespower » Sun Nov 06, 2005 4:06 pm

John Jarratt (as Mick Taylor - the Ivan Milat/Bradley Murdoch bastard child.)

You'll never let him into your home and garden after seeing this.

Also...

Nathan Phillips (Australian Rules, Under the Radar, You and Your Stupid Mate)
Cassandra Magrath (SeaChange)
Kestie Morassi (Dirty Deeds, Thunderstruck, The Illustrated Family Doctor)
Magpiespower
Coach

Postby zipzap » Sun Nov 06, 2005 5:16 pm

Saw it last night and came THIS close to walking out, seriously. A few people did.
I found it absolutely sickening I have to say...and I'm no prude.
Cinematography, music and acting aside (all wonderful), this is a nasty piece of work IMO.
In fact *BOB FRANCIS MODE - ON* I can't believe a government funded film commission invested in such a dark, dirty film that will certainly do nothing for the Oz tourism industry.*BOB FRANCIS MODE - OFF*

MAybe I am a prude after all but I felt dirty watching it. I think it's gonna be one of those movies like Bad Boy Bubby that some people are going to say "Bravo! Brilliant!" while others will say "WTF???".
"A no vote from any club means there is some sort of risk involved in our entry into the competition not working," Steven Trigg.
zipzap
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 248 times
Been liked: 39 times

Postby Punk Rooster » Sun Nov 06, 2005 5:30 pm

Bad Boy Bubby is one of the best movies ever! You're a sexy woman Flo...
Ralph Wiggum wrote:That's where I saw the leprechaun. He told me to burn things

Ken Farmer>John Coleman

Hindmarsh Pest Control
Punk Rooster
Coach

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 16 times
Grassroots Team: Fitzroy

Postby zipzap » Sun Nov 06, 2005 10:04 pm

Punk Rooster wrote:Bad Boy Bubby is one of the best movies ever! You're a sexy woman Flo...

LOL! See what I mean?

As for Wolf Creek being the best Oz fillum this year, I thought the Proposition left it for dead. Like WC it is very violent and graphic but it serves the story and it's not gratuitous. I can't think of a single reason, artistic or otherwise, why it was necessary to depict some of the nasty gear in WC the way it was. I suppose you could argue how authentic it was and how it helped explain the protagonists' pain and fear but to me the best horror/suspense films are the ones that leave you guessing or pondering what MIGHT be happening behind closed doors rather than going into every grisly detail. John Jarratt was pretty cool though :twisted:
"A no vote from any club means there is some sort of risk involved in our entry into the competition not working," Steven Trigg.
zipzap
Assistant Coach

Postby Jimmy » Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:17 am

zipzap wrote:
Punk Rooster wrote:Bad Boy Bubby is one of the best movies ever! You're a sexy woman Flo...

LOL! See what I mean?

As for Wolf Creek being the best Oz fillum this year, I thought the Proposition left it for dead. Like WC it is very violent and graphic but it serves the story and it's not gratuitous. I can't think of a single reason, artistic or otherwise, why it was necessary to depict some of the nasty gear in WC the way it was. I suppose you could argue how authentic it was and how it helped explain the protagonists' pain and fear but to me the best horror/suspense films are the ones that leave you guessing or pondering what MIGHT be happening behind closed doors rather than going into every grisly detail. John Jarratt was pretty cool though :twisted:

i hear what your saying...like in Jaws, you didnt see the shark till near the end...im was scared to go into my own ******* pool alone after that....MY OWN ******* POOL!!!!!!!! :shock:
Carn the blues!!!!!
Jimmy
Coach

Has liked: 125 times
Been liked: 44 times

Postby Magpiespower » Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:39 am

Can see where you're coming from zipzap. At times, I felt like it was a voyeuristic celebration of murder.

I really enjoyed the first hour or so because of the tension and overwhelming sense of dread. But then the killings started and it became just another slasher film.

It amazes me that so many filmmakers don't realize that fear of the unknown that's truly scary. Hitchcock did, Polanksi does but then they are great filmmakers and not exploitative hacks.

Anyway, this film will be a huge hit, especially in North America. Over here, it will continue to divide, simply because we know more about the real life events and are a bit more sensitive to filmmakers cashing in.

BTW, Elizabethtown is a horror film in the truest sense. More people walked out of that movie than Wolf Creek!
Magpiespower
Coach

Postby MagicKiwi » Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:58 pm

Hmmm, Mr MK and I went to see it Saturday and it was exhausting. Two people walked out as soon as the violence was "suggested" let alone when it actually started which was interesting. We found the film confronting and you can also get a sense of how easy some situations can come about.

Same Producer as Bad Boy Bubby.
Red (and White)
Red (Backs)
All (Blacks)
MagicKiwi
League Bench Warmer

Been liked: 1 time
Grassroots Team: Broadview

Postby zipzap » Mon Nov 07, 2005 4:04 pm

Magpiespower wrote:Can see where you're coming from zipzap. At times, I felt like it was a voyeuristic celebration of murder.

I really enjoyed the first hour or so because of the tension and overwhelming sense of dread. But then the killings started and it became just another slasher film.

It amazes me that so many filmmakers don't realize that fear of the unknown that's truly scary. Hitchcock did, Polanksi does but then they are great filmmakers and not exploitative hacks.

Spot on. A good example is Mel Gibson's 'Signs' which scared the bejeezus out of me when there's the pitter patter of little feet on the roof and only brief glimpses of spooky things out in the corn fields, but when the alien is standing buck naked in the living room at the end it all came undone. The first Alien film is another example in which you really only see the Alien once or twice and very sparingly and the tension is built around what might be lurking in the shadows, whereas the follow ups overdosed on showing the xenomorph (!) and suffered because of it.

In the first hour of WC I couldn't wait for those arseholes to get slapped around a bit, but once it was on I really felt for the characters which I guess is one of the strengths of the movie.

Swing away Merrill...
zipzap
Assistant Coach

Board index   General Talk  Entertainment