Movie review : Unknown (2011)

Movies, TV Shows, Fringe, etc.

Movie review : Unknown (2011)

Postby Hondo » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:48 am

If Jason Bourne was 20 years older ...

Borrowing heavily from (inspired by?) the plot of the Bourne series, Liam Neeson stars as a Dr Martin Harris who, after an accident, becomes confused about his identity and is then chased by people who seemingly want him dead.

Dr Harris arrives in a snowy Berlin with his wife to attend a conference. He leaves the hotel to go back to the airport to get his bag which he left there by accident. During the drive back, he is in car accident. He wakes in hospital to find that identity appears to have been stolen. Even his wife claims not to know who he is while on the arm of a new husband now claiming to be Dr Harris complete with passport evidence of his identity. Like Bourne, Dr Harris seemingly goes through a moral transformation while unconscious. In contrast to Bourne however, Dr Harris has very selective amnesia. Conveniently, key memories are locked away while others such as the code to unlock his briefcase come immediately to his mind.

In the search for the truth, we comes across an ex-Stasi officer who agrees to help Dr Martin unravel the mystery. This is notable because I think the actor played the part of Adolf Hitler in "Downfall".

The action is fairly exciting leading to the expected (but not predictable by me) twist ending in which identities and the mystery are revealed and the plot resolves itself pretty well as long as you don't think through the logic too much.

Neeson is not the physical action star that Matt Damon is so he relies moreso on very impressive (for a doctor!) driving skills including reversing down an alleyway at what seemed like 60 kmh. Well, if you can't leap over 3m walls or do the 100m in 10 seconds then you need to have competition level driving skills :)

I recommend this one as being worth a look. 7/10.
In between signatures .....
Hondo
Coach

Has liked: 70 times
Been liked: 32 times

Re: Movie review : Unknown (2011)

Postby Q. » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:11 am

Nice plot twist, but the movie left me hankering for Neeson to bash some skulls like he did in Taken.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Re: Movie review : Unknown (2011)

Postby Hondo » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:16 am

Yes, the movie did a nice job of creating bad guys whose faces we wanted to see bashed in :)

The character who comes in at the end to apparently "help" Neeson sort his identity out is played by an actor who just reeks "bad guy" whenever I see him in a movie. Frank Langella - a very good character actor.
In between signatures .....
Hondo
Coach

Has liked: 70 times
Been liked: 32 times

Board index   General Talk  Entertainment