2015 Royal Adelaide Show

Movies, TV Shows, Fringe, etc.

Re: 2015 Royal Adelaide Show

Postby Failed Creation » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:24 pm

Mrs. Creation and I will be going late tomorrow afternoon.

We haven't been for 4-5 years, so we thought we'd do it, but on a strict budget.
Politicians kissing babies for good luck,
TV preachers sell salvation for a buck.
You don't need no golden cross to tell you wrong from right,
The world's worst murderers were those who saw the light.
Failed Creation
Coach

Has liked: 3307 times
Been liked: 613 times
Grassroots Team: Gawler Central

Postby The Ash Man » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:35 pm

My little fella would rather pack up the caravan and go away for the weekend which suits me fine
The Ash Man
Coach

Has liked: 381 times
Been liked: 260 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby wristwatcher » Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:37 am

Jase wrote:School has their Show Day tomorrow so th boys are going with a family friend and her kids... all teachers and us support staff are still at school... the boys have their $65 pocket money they have saved, organised their show bags... going to do the yellow brick road and are taking a packed lunch... they are excited...

That's a great school day for a kid. If they budget well $65 will go ok. If they get sucked in by a clever carny it could be gone in 6 minutes

I will also be embarking on the YBR when we head in. Fun, healthy and educational all for $10. :)
The PNU Falcs 2005,06,13 x 2,14 and Div 1 Premiers in 2019......The SA 3peat - 2003,04,05
wristwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 844 times

Postby wristwatcher » Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:52 am

Failed Creation wrote:Mrs. Creation and I will be going late tomorrow afternoon.

We haven't been for 4-5 years, so we thought we'd do it, but on a strict budget.

If you like sideshows let me know as I worked the Royal Show for a year as a carny and therefore was privy to the many secrets of the various games. Whilst many punters assume to know the secrets and insist you can't win or it's rigged it's actually not the case. They can't be impossible to win. They are still under the fair trade agreement or some enterprise agreement by law be required to offer the opportunity to be won.

So much of what they do is in the positioning. You need often to observe them before they begin spruking to you. A good carny makes thousands for his boss in a day but invariably takes home about $150 of it. You would be surprised what you can find out by having a chat, a laugh and being nice to them. They also are under silent video surveillance so they will and can tell you were too shoot, pluck the duck, throw, aim or which balloon to hit if they choose too.

Having said that some of the semi professionals take a bit of pride in spotting their mark and finding a pidgeon not unlike that episode of the Simpsons. In 2007 I had a girl drop a $50 on one of my games In about 7 minutes. She just wouldn't stop. I probably made it worse when I told her which balloon to hit and she simply couldn't hit it.
The PNU Falcs 2005,06,13 x 2,14 and Div 1 Premiers in 2019......The SA 3peat - 2003,04,05
wristwatcher
Coach

Postby Failed Creation » Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:20 am

wristwatcher wrote:
Failed Creation wrote:Mrs. Creation and I will be going late tomorrow afternoon.

If you like sideshows let me know as I worked the Royal Show for a year as a carny and therefore was privy to the many secrets of the various games. Whilst many punters assume to know the secrets and insist you can't win or it's rigged it's actually not the case. They can't be impossible to win. They are still under the fair trade agreement or some enterprise agreement by law be required to offer the opportunity to be won.

So much of what they do is in the positioning. You need often to observe them before they begin spruking to you. A good carny makes thousands for his boss in a day but invariably takes home about $150 of it. You would be surprised what you can find out by having a chat, a laugh and being nice to them. They also are under silent video surveillance so they will and can tell you were too shoot, pluck the duck, throw, aim or which balloon to hit if they choose too.

Having said that some of the semi professionals take a bit of pride in spotting their mark and finding a pidgeon not unlike that episode of the Simpsons. In 2007 I had a girl drop a $50 on one of my games In about 7 minutes. She just wouldn't stop. I probably made it worse when I told her which balloon to hit and she simply couldn't hit it.

My dexterity is woeful, so Mrs. Creation and I generally steer clear of the sideshows.

We had a budget of $140 for the day, and we managed to stick to it.

So after $23 each for admission, we each bought a Dagwood Dog and split a Waffle Dog, and headed to the Taste SA exhibits in the IGA Pavilion. I love going around and tasting things (and with my size, you wouldn't be surprised!), and it was here many years ago that I fell in love with olive oil and dukkah. We bought a box of Aunty Joan's Gourmet Toffee, as well as some Spring Gully Hot English Orange Mustard and some Honey Lady Chai Spiced Blended Honey.

From there, we caught up with my brother and his missus and hit the Jubilee Pavilion. Mrs. Creation bought a Jon Snow picture for $10 (I wanted Tyrion... :( ).

After that, the wife and I split a Pork Hock for dinner. At $14, it was a great value feedm but unfortunately the plastic cultery was virtually useless. So after some fultile attempts at cutting the bastard (I told you my dexterity was shithouse), we resorted to taking turns at eating it with our bare hands.

We did some looking around through the Goyder Pavilion, and went to look at some animals, but by then (7:30pm) most of them were closed.

If we had more money, I'm sure we'd have bought more stuff, but we didn't feel like we'd missed out on anything.

Scrap that, I want more of that Aunty Joan's toffee!
Failed Creation
Coach

Postby wristwatcher » Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:26 am

Failed Creation wrote:
wristwatcher wrote:

My dexterity is woeful, so Mrs. Creation and I generally steer clear of the sideshows.

So after $23 each for admission, we each bought a Dagwood Dog and split a Waffle Dog, and headed to the Taste SA exhibits in the IGA Pavilion. I love going around and tasting things (and with my size, you wouldn't be surprised!), and it was here many years ago that I fell in love with olive oil and dukkah. We bought a box of Aunty Joan's Gourmet Toffee, as well as some Spring Gully Hot English Orange Mustard and some Honey Lady Chai Spiced Blended Honey.

From there, we caught up with my brother and his missus and hit the Jubilee Pavilion. Mrs. Creation bought a Jon Snow picture for $10 (I wanted Tyrion... :( ).

After that, the wife and I split a Pork Hock for dinner. At $14, it was a great value feedm but unfortunately the plastic cultery was virtually useless. So after some fultile attempts at cutting the bastard (I told you my dexterity was shithouse), we resorted to taking turns at eating it with our bare hands.

We did some looking around through the Goyder Pavilion, and went to look at some animals, but by then (7:30pm) most of them were closed.

If we had more money, I'm sure we'd have bought more stuff, but we didn't feel like we'd missed out on anything.

No showbags :shock:
wristwatcher
Coach

Postby Failed Creation » Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:36 pm

wristwatcher wrote:
Failed Creation wrote:
wristwatcher wrote:

No showbags :shock:

Not this year. There was nothing that really screamed at us.
Failed Creation
Coach

Postby wristwatcher » Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:51 pm

The Show was awesome. We had a ball. Cost us a total of $165 all inclusive and that included $50 of showbags for us, family and friends.

Highlights included ;

- going on one ridiculously scary ride with a mate. Imagine two footballers who thought they were tough screaming like bitches. He plays for North though so not to much of a surprise there ;)
- the food was good this year. Maybe because we waited until we were really hungry but started with sharing a plate of string fries in cheese sauce and chicken salt and later had the footlong Dagwood mofo Dawg. Actually didn't get through it. Mrs had those fancy mini pancaked, posejas or whatever they are called and they were inhaled. Chocolate donut and thick shake also made brief appearances
- IGA tasting pavilion was not busy so we were able to try everything and went back at the end to purchase the obligatory small goods
- dog shows, dog pavilion and the other dog hall were all good. Got to play, hold and nearly had a nap with a 12 week Lab. Awesome pup.
- checked out some main arena stuff and a few shows. All ok to watch
- parked off Rose street about 100 metres from the show at 1pm, moved the car at 3pm about 3 foot. It was a 2 hour park from 9-5
- pretty much got to see every hall and pavilion and caught a bit of wood chopping and sheep shearing

Looking back we spent a lot on food, drinks and Showbags but we had a ball and considering how much I enjoyed and how much the wife loved it, it was money well spent. I will say this though, I simply would not go if it was a weekend as the number of reptiles would increase ten fold. It was not busy and the whole atmosphere was very enjoyable.

See you next year when I'm going to be the a$$hole who stands in the middle of walkways with the pram oblivious to the fact I will be the one holding up the entire flow of the show. There is a bit of that I must admit
wristwatcher
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:58 am

If they had a designated pram free day I'd consider going. Its gone backwards markedly in the the last 40 years, used to have a great vibe when it was more enclosed.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2023 times
Been liked: 3867 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby JK » Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:34 pm

wristwatcher wrote:

Remember going 20 odd years ago with the missus (at the time) and a couple of mates, and a bloke in sideshow alley sucked us all into having a crack at particular game.

All these floating plastic cups, mostly White, a few Red, a few Yellow and the 1 x Blue which was smaller and made of Porcelain. Had to try and land your Ping Pong ball in them.

Everyone kept going straight for the Blue one and of course being made of porcelain they'd instantly bounce a mile in the air. I sat tight and picked my moment and with my first throw aimed at one immediately next to the Blue number, and bounced it off the neighbouring cup, so it entered the Blue one at a lower height.

I could see the look of surprise from the sideshow dude, but he duly coughed up the Big Gorilla with Boxing Gloves. I duly handed it to my missus. She duly ensured that evening made my efforts all worthwhile :D

Gave me whole new appreciation of the Royal Show.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4440 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby bennymacca » Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:39 pm

so you gave her the big gorilla when you got home too?
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby JK » Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:50 pm

bennymacca wrote:so you gave her the big gorilla when you got home too?

Indeed, minus the gloves though :D
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4440 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Corona Man » Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:56 pm

Not been for 15 years, hopefully wont go for another 15 years.... pass!
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1275 times
Been liked: 3461 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby Johno6 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:48 pm

Corona Man wrote:Not been for 15 years, hopefully wont go for another 15 years.... pass!

whats so special about the 2030 Royal Adelaide Show?
R.I.P Mum 28/02/12

Asterix Users - Squibs
Johno6
Coach

Has liked: 344 times
Been liked: 604 times
Grassroots Team: Golden Grove

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:57 pm

Took my two Monday after work, they had the app where they could map out what rides they were going on and what showbags they were getting as they had a $150 budget each.
I took $400, it cost us $53 to get in and given that it wasn't very crowded we were out the gates in 2 hours and 15 minutes with around $100 left over, the kids didn't have to line up for any rides and they couldn't be bothered with one of their budgeted rides and decided to not bother with a couple of showbags that looked better on paper than in real life.
I lashed out and bought 4 bags, they were 3 for 15 and seemed like decent value plus I can't go there without getting a licorice showbag.

All up, it's once a year so it doesn't bother me doing something for the kids, they've had to come and spend afternoons doing shit that I like often enough so all good, plus the rides were 25% cheaper when you bought 2 tickets which they didn't factor in initially.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Johno6 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:08 pm

As expensive as these things may be, altho I don't go now, when I eventually have kids I will go

I don't mind forking out for over riced stuff so someone else can be happy when its a yearly thing
would I do this evey month? no
would I do it once a year knowing its over priced? more than likely yes.

im hoping when I have kids I will be more than happy to get ripped off to see them happy.
R.I.P Mum 28/02/12

Asterix Users - Squibs
Johno6
Coach

Has liked: 344 times
Been liked: 604 times
Grassroots Team: Golden Grove

Postby Spargo » Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:14 pm

Johno6 wrote:As expensive as these things may be, altho I don't go now, when I eventually have kids I will go

I don't mind forking out for over riced stuff so someone else can be happy when its a yearly thing
would I do this evey month? no
would I do it once a year knowing its over priced? more than likely yes.

im hoping when I have kids I will be more than happy to get ripped off to see them happy.

I'm in this boat now - once a year is fine for the sake of paying overs of $100-$150.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5459 times
Been liked: 5089 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Corona Man » Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:20 pm

Johno6 wrote:
Corona Man wrote:Not been for 15 years, hopefully wont go for another 15 years.... pass!

whats so special about the 2030 Royal Adelaide Show?

Nothing... nothing at all!
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1275 times
Been liked: 3461 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby Keefy » Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:22 pm

My eldest asked if were going and I said no as we went to the Gold Coast and Sydney in January.

I got a friend who has gone everyday bar Sunday when they went to the footy
Keefy
League - Best 21

Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 181 times
Grassroots Team: Ironbank

Postby wristwatcher » Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:41 pm

Keefy wrote:My eldest asked if were going and I said no as we went to the Gold Coast and Sydney in January.

I got a friend who has gone everyday bar Sunday when they went to the footy

Are you telling me they have forked out $20 six times to get in :shock:

I love the show but more than twice a year it would lose its appeal big time
wristwatcher
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Entertainment