AFL Round 8

Talk on the national game

Re: AFL Round 8

by dedja » Fri May 03, 2024 12:03 pm

I don’t support either side, but it seems that we’ve basically had only post match analysis from Crows supporters so far, so would be good to hear from the Port side (granted, Vamos has stepped up, apologies to anyone else who may have).

Anyone? Come out from under those rocks.
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 201 times
Been liked: 1017 times

by Eagles2014 » Fri May 03, 2024 12:15 pm

The Bedge wrote:Rozee's selection whilst in hindsight was poor, didn't cost Port the match last night.

Bad kicking for goal cost them the match. First quarter 20-8 Inside 50's, dominated play, Crows kick 5 goals from those 8 entries, Port wasted so many opportunities. Even in last quarter should have pinched it with McEntee and JHF missing would have got margin back to a goal with all the momentum.
Eagles2014
Veteran

Has liked: 126 times
Been liked: 527 times

by MW » Fri May 03, 2024 12:27 pm

Eagles2014 wrote:
The Bedge wrote:Rozee's selection whilst in hindsight was poor, didn't cost Port the match last night.

Bad kicking for goal cost them the match. First quarter 20-8 Inside 50's, dominated play, Crows kick 5 goals from those 8 entries, Port wasted so many opportunities. Even in last quarter should have pinched it with McEntee and JHF missing would have got margin back to a goal with all the momentum.

Yes but its a pattern not an event which would indicate they are not good enough in this space, but the Crows backs put enormous pressure on Ports forwards that can affect goal kicking as well.
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2633 times
Been liked: 1862 times

by Dutchy » Fri May 03, 2024 1:01 pm

Bum Crack wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
Bum Crack wrote:I still blame Ken. He makes the ultimate decision if they get picked or not. Just because the medical team may say he's ok to go, the coach can use some brains and think "hang on, we have a hammy issue here, he's having a week or two off to be safe"

Kens takes the blame, but he doesn't make this decision, if the S&C team say your best player is 100% and ready to go how do you over rule that?

You reckon Chris Scott would have overruled it?

No
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2331 times
Been liked: 3555 times

by bertiebeatle1 » Fri May 03, 2024 1:01 pm

Eagles2014 wrote:

Need to have a look at where a lot of the shots were taken & a lot of rushed points, the goal kicking issue is being over hyped. More of a concern is losing the same way when our ball movement becomes stifled & we do not have any answers off slow play entries. Add to that a lot of shots are taken from outside the V, makes it hard to convert compared to when the Crows kicked the first 5 just breaking our zone wide open.

Same tiresome issue that has been happening for the whole of Hinkley's tenure. When teams are able to stop our run & carry, we look like D Graders & we cannot get decent entries.

Off slow play, need Dixon to be the one leading to the pocket/flanks as the get out of jail and the athletic lead up fwds need to the ones going up the middle of the fwd 50 as they are the ones that can generate some spacing. It was evident early on that JHF or Rozee needed to go to FF to offer a different look down there as it opened the fwd 50, no idea why they waited to the last qtr. A Chad Cornes & Hinkley special.
bertiebeatle1

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 14 times

by Bum Crack » Fri May 03, 2024 1:10 pm

Dutchy wrote:
Bum Crack wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
Bum Crack wrote:I still blame Ken. He makes the ultimate decision if they get picked or not. Just because the medical team may say he's ok to go, the coach can use some brains and think "hang on, we have a hammy issue here, he's having a week or two off to be safe"

Kens takes the blame, but he doesn't make this decision, if the S&C team say your best player is 100% and ready to go how do you over rule that?

You reckon Chris Scott would have overruled it?

No

:lol:
So you've seen everything have you?
Yep
Have you ever seen a man eat his own head?
No
Well you haven't seen everything then have you.
Bum Crack
Coach

Has liked: 321 times
Been liked: 894 times
Grassroots Team: Berri

by amber_fluid » Fri May 03, 2024 1:23 pm

bertiebeatle1 wrote:
Eagles2014 wrote:

Need to have a look at where a lot of the shots were taken & a lot of rushed points, the goal kicking issue is being over hyped. More of a concern is losing the same way when our ball movement becomes stifled & we do not have any answers off slow play entries. Add to that a lot of shots are taken from outside the V, makes it hard to convert compared to when the Crows kicked the first 5 just breaking our zone wide open.

Same tiresome issue that has been happening for the whole of Hinkley's tenure. When teams are able to stop our run & carry, we look like D Graders & we cannot get decent entries.

Off slow play, need Dixon to be the one leading to the pocket/flanks as the get out of jail and the athletic lead up fwds need to the ones going up the middle of the fwd 50 as they are the ones that can generate some spacing. It was evident early on that JHF or Rozee needed to go to FF to offer a different look down there as it opened the fwd 50, no idea why they waited to the last qtr. A Chad Cornes & Hinkley special.

Only going to get worse when Dixon retires at years end.
I’d be bringing in Finlayson for Marshall as Marshall to me offers very little against the big bodied defenders.
Georgiadis is a space cadet but does offer that X factor at times.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2234 times
Been liked: 2527 times

by MW » Fri May 03, 2024 1:31 pm

I disagree. Dixon retiring is going to transform that forward line and give them a better look at it. The perceived belief in Dixon has ruined Port for years, banging it long on top of his head because "King Charlie", "Big Charlie" will mark and goal. They rest on the "but Charlie brings it to ground" mentality but clubs have switched onto that and pressure their small forwards enough to reduce their impact (hence all the behinds not goals from rushed attempts).

Three talls in Marshall, Georgiadis, Lord are much more dynamic than Dixon, Marshall, Finlayson and will get more mark and set shots from those three in the future.
MW
Coach

by Dutchy » Fri May 03, 2024 1:39 pm

MW wrote:I disagree. Dixon retiring is going to transform that forward line and give them a better look at it. The perceived belief in Dixon has ruined Port for years, banging it long on top of his head because "King Charlie", "Big Charlie" will mark and goal. They rest on the "but Charlie brings it to ground" mentality but clubs have switched onto that and pressure their small forwards enough to reduce their impact (hence all the behinds not goals from rushed attempts).

Three talls in Marshall, Georgiadis, Lord are much more dynamic than Dixon, Marshall, Finlayson and will get more mark and set shots from those three in the future.

Spot on, I get smashed by Port fans who always defend Dixon, but they have other options on their list but Kenny refuses to change. Dixon playing hasn't helped the development of their other talls.
Dutchy
Site Admin

by amber_fluid » Fri May 03, 2024 1:43 pm

MW wrote:I disagree. Dixon retiring is going to transform that forward line and give them a better look at it. The perceived belief in Dixon has ruined Port for years, banging it long on top of his head because "King Charlie", "Big Charlie" will mark and goal. They rest on the "but Charlie brings it to ground" mentality but clubs have switched onto that and pressure their small forwards enough to reduce their impact (hence all the behinds not goals from rushed attempts).

Port aren’t playing finals anytime soon if they’re relying on Marshall, Lord and Georgiadis.
All 3 are that 3rd forward so they’ll need another big forward when Dixon goes.

Marshall looks slow and uninterested at times this year
amber_fluid
Coach

by LaughingKookaburra » Fri May 03, 2024 2:05 pm

Eagles2014 wrote:

Don’t agree with that. You’re not winning many games of footy when you give the opposition a 4 goal head start in front of 40,000+ of their own fans. Hats off to Nicks who slammed the gate shut after they pinched the early lead and made Port work hard for everything for the remainder of the match.
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 73 times
Been liked: 747 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

by mots02 » Fri May 03, 2024 2:17 pm

The sun is certainly shining brightly today and the bird song seems extra melodious.
mots02
League - Top 5

Has liked: 141 times
Been liked: 898 times
Grassroots Team: Reynella

by am Bays » Fri May 03, 2024 2:27 pm

dedja wrote:I don’t support either side, but it seems that we’ve basically had only post match analysis from Crows supporters so far, so would be good to hear from the Port side (granted, Vamos has stepped up, apologies to anyone else who may have).

Mate, I think the interweb network collapsed in the greater Port Adelaide Enfield Council area about midnight last night due to overload on the socials

Telstra are working on the repairs as we speak. Expect it back up after Ports next game....
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 1826 times

by cracka » Fri May 03, 2024 2:43 pm

amber_fluid wrote:I only saw the 2nd half last night but I watched the Crows beat Carlton a few weeks back.
Are the crows back on track and finals bound?

No. Those 2 wins they were outplayed, just bad kicking for goal by Carlton & Port lost them the games. If the holding the ball against Draper was called & Tex kicked a goal it would have been bad kicking by Essendon that lost them that game. In reality Crows have only had 1 win where they've outplayed the opposition. Not good enough for making finals
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 462 times
Been liked: 567 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

by valleys07 » Fri May 03, 2024 2:51 pm

dedja wrote:I don’t support either side, but it seems that we’ve basically had only post match analysis from Crows supporters so far, so would be good to hear from the Port side (granted, Vamos has stepped up, apologies to anyone else who may have).

LOL.

Copy the post game analysis from any Port Adelaide loss over the past 7 years and paste it here. The glove fits.

Sack the useless pr*ck, already.
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 768 times
Been liked: 1171 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

by woodublieve12 » Fri May 03, 2024 2:52 pm

cracka wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:I only saw the 2nd half last night but I watched the Crows beat Carlton a few weeks back.

No. Those 2 wins they were outplayed, just bad kicking for goal by Carlton & Port lost them the games. If the holding the ball against Draper was called & Tex kicked a goal it would have been bad kicking by Essendon that lost them that game. In reality Crows have only had 1 win where they've outplayed the opposition. Not good enough for making finals

Don't think you were out played. You were the better team.
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3029 times
Been liked: 2404 times

by MW » Fri May 03, 2024 2:53 pm

woodublieve12 wrote:
cracka wrote:

Agreed. Didnt see the Carlton game, but last night we were definitely the better team.
MW
Coach

by amber_fluid » Fri May 03, 2024 2:54 pm

woodublieve12 wrote:
cracka wrote:

I’m with you. I hate to admit it but the Crows deserved the win against the Blues.
amber_fluid
Coach

by amber_fluid » Fri May 03, 2024 3:03 pm

Vamos is busy reheating his left over dimmies as he fell asleep at half time like most Power supporters.
amber_fluid
Coach

by Dutchy » Fri May 03, 2024 3:04 pm

valleys07 wrote:

LOL.

Copy the post game analysis from any Port Adelaide loss over the past 7 years and paste it here. The glove fits.

Sack the useless pr*ck, already.

Seen this movie before?
Dutchy
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL