2017 AFL Season

Talk on the national game

Re: 2017 AFL Season

Postby human_torpedo » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:23 am

Booney wrote:
Jim05 wrote:
Booney wrote:
Dogwatcher wrote:At least we're top of something.

Carlton - the sleeping giant. Those memberships are pretty dire for a club with such a large fan base.

Carlton - Where to for them? 7 wins last year and only 5 this year with Hawthorn and Sydney to come. Playing a very ordinary brand of football, looks like they could lose Casboult and perhaps Gibbs ( depending on what happens in Adelaide's list management ) and while they've had several rising star nominees this year they look to be a long, long way off a resurrection.

I think they are on the right track. They have finally decided against the quick fix and have started a long rebuild. Have started building there defence and look to have 5-10 year decent defence together, they will move on to the midfield over the next couple of years. Still a big concern that by time the kids get up to speed their best players like Gibbs, Murphy, Kreuzer will be gone

Long gone indeed and they're coming from a long, long way back and they, I think, are in the unenviable position that Brisbane are in where talented younger players might not hang around to see the process out when clubs at the pointy end of the ladder come talking cash and success.

Usually pretty close to the mark Boon, but I reckon you may have missed a bit with the Carlton summary. They are tracking about where they expected to be. Game plan wise they are solidifying defensively and getting that sharp before they try and open up and attack, similar to what Melbourne were doing a few years back. Playing within limitations with a group like they possess is clever. They have a raft of early picks coming through, if they nail the next 2 drafts they will be fine. A couple of experienced additions wont hurt in a few years time. So long as SOS stops trying to pick off the GWS scraps they will be fine I reckon
human_torpedo
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 371 times

Postby MW » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:36 am

That's been the review on Carlton for the last 10 years
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2639 times
Been liked: 1868 times

Postby Brodlach » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:42 am

I like Benny would like it to be shown as actual members (season members) and then 3 games/pet/ etc separate

The Crows cannot have many or any 3 game members as there is no room unlike a Victorian team who have the MCG with a 100,000 capacity

In the end the only thing that counts is who is on top in October
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4217 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Booney » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:54 am

human_torpedo wrote:Usually pretty close to the mark Boon, but I reckon you may have missed a bit with the Carlton summary. They are tracking about where they expected to be. Game plan wise they are solidifying defensively and getting that sharp before they try and open up and attack, similar to what Melbourne were doing a few years back. Playing within limitations with a group like they possess is clever. They have a raft of early picks coming through, if they nail the next 2 drafts they will be fine. A couple of experienced additions wont hurt in a few years time. So long as SOS stops trying to pick off the GWS scraps they will be fine I reckon

Here's the kicker, who will be interested in moving to Carlton? What key forward could be lured there in their current, or even 3 year from now guise?

Melbourne's "rebuild" ( they still might miss finals this year ) is into it's 4th year ( Roos '14-'16 ) and they've got considerably more talent at their disposal than the Blues. I'd think Carlton are 5+ years from anything of note. Minimum.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7526 times
Been liked: 10831 times

Postby MW » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:56 am

If you can't retain Casboult, what hope do you have...
MW
Coach

Postby human_torpedo » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:03 pm

Booney wrote:
human_torpedo wrote:Usually pretty close to the mark Boon, but I reckon you may have missed a bit with the Carlton summary. They are tracking about where they expected to be. Game plan wise they are solidifying defensively and getting that sharp before they try and open up and attack, similar to what Melbourne were doing a few years back. Playing within limitations with a group like they possess is clever. They have a raft of early picks coming through, if they nail the next 2 drafts they will be fine. A couple of experienced additions wont hurt in a few years time. So long as SOS stops trying to pick off the GWS scraps they will be fine I reckon

Here's the kicker, who will be interested in moving to Carlton? What key forward could be lured there in their current, or even 3 year from now guise?

Melbourne's "rebuild" ( they still might miss finals this year ) is into it's 4th year ( Roos '14-'16 ) and they've got considerably more talent at their disposal than the Blues. I'd think Carlton are 5+ years from anything of note. Minimum.

You have to start somewhere. I think they have bottomed right out and are on the way up. Things can change quickly in todays game. I like Brendan Bolton and I would back him in to get it right, with the obvious assistance from the list management team

Will agree they have a 23-28 year old player issue. But free agency can change that pretty quickly these days
human_torpedo
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 371 times

Postby Booney » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:10 pm

human_torpedo wrote:
Booney wrote:

You have to start somewhere. I think they have bottomed right out and are on the way up. Things can change quickly in todays game. I like Brendan Bolton and I would back him in to get it right, with the obvious assistance from the list management team

Will agree they have a 23-28 year old player issue. But free agency can change that pretty quickly these days

Free agents go to destination clubs, not Carlton.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:33 pm

The women get a state of origin match.....
If its good enough for them...
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11938 times
Been liked: 3639 times

Postby MW » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:34 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:The women get a state of origin match.....

With all due respect to the women, would many be too concerned if they did a knee and missed the season?
MW
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:36 pm

MW wrote:

With all due respect to the women, would many be too concerned if they did a knee and missed the season?
Yes.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11938 times
Been liked: 3639 times

Postby bennymacca » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:44 pm

MW wrote:

It's a different level in terms of the money surrounding it. A 25k investment get injured is a lesser risk than their million dollar investment.

Both for the club and the player.

The women are still forging their own identity and exposure so they would be much more willing participants too
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Feenix » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:51 pm

MW wrote:

The men play International rules so surely that's not the concern. I think the issue is when state of origin would be played and how it affects playing for a premiership rather then injuries. Its obvious Origin means a hell of a lot more to rugby league then it does too AFL. Until we have that sort of passion it just won't happen, the players need to be the driving force not fans
Feenix
Reserves

Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 66 times

Postby Rik E Boy » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:29 pm

Feenix wrote:
MW wrote:

The men play International rules so surely that's not the concern. I think the issue is when state of origin would be played and how it affects playing for a premiership rather then injuries. Its obvious Origin means a hell of a lot more to rugby league then it does too AFL. Until we have that sort of passion it just won't happen, the players need to be the driving force not fans

It was the clubs, and the loss of Ted Whitten that killed origin. The passion for the Big V was Teddy and the players. Once clubs started holding players back and Teddy passed away State of Origin was doomed.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1705 times
Been liked: 1821 times

Postby bennymacca » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:11 pm

Feenix wrote:
MW wrote:

Yeah fair.

The "others" will always be an issue. No Tasmanian wants to be reduced to an "allies" team and both wa and SA would want to play Victoria every year.

So it's a lot harder to work out how to do it compared with league where the other states are too small to worry about.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby morell » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:26 pm

MW wrote:

I wouldn't want Port players playing in a SOO. or International Rules.
morell
Coach

Has liked: 2017 times
Been liked: 1143 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby Brodlach » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:09 pm

Geez the big players keep on retiring this season, the biggest of them all today.....

Zac Dawson :D
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4217 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Booney » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:19 pm

Retired '17

B : Kelly Dawson Gibson
HB : Boyd Hodge Murphy
C : Watson Priddis Thompson
HF : White Reiwoldt Johnson
F : Monfries* Petrie* Le Cras*
R - Maric Mitchell Montagna*

Int : Armfield ?? ?? ??

*Assumed they'll pull the pin

Coach - Eade
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:23 pm

Booney wrote:Retired '17

B : Kelly Dawson Gibson
HB : Boyd Hodge Murphy
C : Watson Priddis Thompson
HF : White Reiwoldt Johnson
F : Monfries* Petrie* Le Cras*
R - Maric Mitchell Montagna*

*Assumed they'll pull the pin

Coach - Eade

Not a bad side!

I'm pretty sure Daryl white retired a long time ago though ;)
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Booney » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:24 pm

There's only one Jesse White. ( Only one Jesse Whiiiite )
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby nuggety goodness » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:20 pm

Does Neil Craig get a gig in the coaches box?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
I am not talking to you for 3 minutes because you punched me in the head and it hurt and that was not okay for you to do
nuggety goodness
League - Top 5

Has liked: 329 times
Been liked: 219 times
Grassroots Team: Ovingham

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL