North Melbourne

Talk on the national game

Re: North Melbourne

Postby mots02 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:51 pm

Spargo wrote:We weren’t talking big names originally, remember? You asked which players were head hunted by other clubs, I named them. Maybe google when they re-signed & the interest shown.
I’m sorry if the Advertiser or 5AA didn’t report it.

No we weren't talking about big names originally, but i was responding to a claim that North had the best player retention record in recent times. My perception and comment on that is that you have to be consistently retaining something of value to back up that sort of statement. Your own conclusion that the list that you supplied to justify the claim doesn't include any big names kinda validates my original thought.

We can also discuss North's recent record on the other side of player retention though if you like... bringing in targeted recruiting?

How's that gone in recent times? any big names signed that i've missed whilst listening to 5aa and perusing my Advertiser? ;)
mots02
League - Top 5

Has liked: 141 times
Been liked: 898 times
Grassroots Team: Reynella

Postby Spargo » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:06 pm

mots02 wrote:
Spargo wrote:We weren’t talking big names originally, remember? You asked which players were head hunted by other clubs, I named them. Maybe google when they re-signed & the interest shown.
I’m sorry if the Advertiser or 5AA didn’t report it.

No we weren't talking about big names originally, but i was responding to a claim that North had the best player retention record in recent times. My perception and comment on that is that you have to be consistently retaining something of value to back up that sort of statement. Your own conclusion that the list that you supplied to justify the claim doesn't include any big names kinda validates my original thought.

We can also discuss North's recent record on the other side of player retention though if you like... bringing in targeted recruiting?

How's that gone in recent times? any big names signed that i've missed whilst listening to 5aa and perusing my Advertiser? ;)
Last edited by Spargo on Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5522 times
Been liked: 5156 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Spargo » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:12 pm

mots02 wrote:We can also discuss North's recent record on the other side of player retention though if you like... bringing in targeted recruiting?

And we could also bring up the amount of good footballers who’ve ditched the Crows and moved on or your drought since winning a flag or abysmal choke in last year’s GF - but that’s also beside the point & way off the original discussion.
We can all spin, champ.

Spargo
Coach

Postby mots02 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:35 pm

Spargo wrote:
mots02 wrote:We can also discuss North's recent record on the other side of player retention though if you like... bringing in targeted recruiting?

And we could also bring up the amount of good footballers who’ve ditched the Crows and moved on or your drought since winning a flag or abysmal choke in last year’s GF - but that’s also beside the point & way off the original discussion.
We can all spin, champ.

Discussion on player retention and player recruitment at North Melbourne on a dedicated North Melbourne thread is kinda more relevant than bringing up the Crows performances on and off field... which i agree have been far less than par in recent times.

Not looking to spin, just challenged a statement with a comment that i still stand by. You guys think North have excellent player management... looking at your list... i respectfully beg to differ.

And thanks for calling me Champ, personally i think im more of a Chump but that compliment means a lot coming from you, so cheers!
mots02
League - Top 5

Postby Spargo » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:07 pm

mots02 wrote:
Spargo wrote:

We can all spin, champ.

Discussion on player retention and player recruitment at North Melbourne on a dedicated North Melbourne thread is kinda more relevant than bringing up the Crows performances on and off field... which i agree have been far less than par in recent times.

Not looking to spin, just challenged a statement with a comment that i still stand by. You guys think North have excellent player management... looking at your list... i respectfully beg to differ.

And thanks for calling me Champ, personally i think im more of a Chump but that compliment means a lot coming from you, so cheers!

Player recruitment wasn’t the topic (relevance?), it was retention - remember?
Excellent Player management? They’ve kept who they wanted - looking at their list who should they have discarded?
Maybe I should’ve said chump ;)

Spargo
Coach

Postby Corona Man » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:18 pm

B-( B-(
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1281 times
Been liked: 3494 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby mots02 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:22 pm

Spargo wrote:
mots02 wrote:
Spargo wrote:

We can all spin, champ.

Player recruitment wasn’t the topic (relevance?), it was retention - remember?
Excellent Player management? They’ve kept who they wanted - looking at their list who should they have discarded?
Maybe I should’ve said chump ;)

Recruitment and retention go hand in hand - both working towards building your list. I think they're very relevant to each other. Chump logic i guess.

I believe you when you say that they've kept who they've wanted - but as i've said a couple of times now I think that job is made a bit easier when the outside demand isnt great.
mots02
League - Top 5

Postby Spargo » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:45 pm

mots02 wrote:the outside demand isnt great.

F*ck me, except for the numerous players I named :lol:

Spargo
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:50 pm

Your idea of outside demand is literally every crows player that comes out of contract.

So by that logic the crows also do well for player retention :)
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby mots02 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:56 pm

Spargo wrote:

I actually did the home work assignment you set me and googled the re-signing of Dumont, Simkin and Preuss.

The only article i could find for each was one published on the North Melbourne FC home page - it didnt mention the line up of clubs demanding to sign these three. The other media outlets must have been busy doing something else those days.

I've obviously got this wrong though. Clearly Dumont, Preuss and Simpkin are or atleast were in high demand and North have done brilliantly to keep them all.
mots02
League - Top 5

Postby Spargo » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:56 pm

bennymacca wrote:Your idea of outside demand is literally every crows player that comes out of contract.

So by that logic the crows also do well for player retention :)

Quite possibly true, benny.

Spargo
Coach

Postby mots02 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:06 pm

The only thing more surprising than discovering that North have impeccable player retention is the amount of time i've spent debating it today! I'm giving myself a time out :)
mots02
League - Top 5

Postby Dutchy » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:09 pm

mots02 wrote:
Spargo wrote:

I actually did the home work assignment you set me and googled the re-signing of Dumont, Simkin and Preuss.

The only article i could find for each was one published on the North Melbourne FC home page - it didnt mention the line up of clubs demanding to sign these three. The other media outlets must have been busy doing something else those days.

I've obviously got this wrong though. Clearly Dumont, Preuss and Simpkin are or atleast were in high demand and North have done brilliantly to keep them all.

With all of these we re-signed them well before they came out of contract, so other clubs didn't have a chance - hence no media attention.

Talk about recruiting? Higgins, Waite, Dal Santo took us to 1 win from the Granny recently.

Look at other recent bottom clubs - Carlton, Gold Coast, Brisbane, Melbourne have all had retention issues cause of where they are at, North haven't.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2333 times
Been liked: 3563 times

Postby mots02 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:27 pm

Dutchy wrote:
mots02 wrote:
Spargo wrote:

With all of these we re-signed them well before they came out of contract, so other clubs didn't have a chance - hence no media attention.

Talk about recruiting? Higgins, Waite, Dal Santo took us to 1 win from the Granny recently.

Look at other recent bottom clubs - Carlton, Gold Coast, Brisbane, Melbourne have all had retention issues cause of where they are at, North haven't.

Hang on, Spargo told me there was high demand for these guys and used them as three examples of how good your player retention was? Also asked me to google the re-signings to to educate myself? so which is it? Were they in demand and discussed in the market or locked away so other clubs didnt have a chance?

As you said, you've recently been a top club. Hopefully your new found time at the bottom doesn't bring out any retention issues for you guys then.
mots02
League - Top 5

Postby MW » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:31 pm

mots one thing you can't accuse NM of is not retaining players. Getting new ones there yes of late...but retaining existing ones no.
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2633 times
Been liked: 1862 times

Postby mots02 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:33 pm

MW wrote:mots one thing you can't accuse NM of is not retaining players. Getting new ones there yes of late...but retaining existing ones no.

I never said they haven't retained them. I've just said that i think their retention rate is made easier by having less stock that anyone else is trying to pinch!
mots02
League - Top 5

Postby Rik E Boy » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:24 am

Dutchy wrote:
mots02 wrote:
Spargo wrote:

Apples and oranges with Brisbane and Gold Coast though. Footy is dead up here.

Regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1699 times
Been liked: 1819 times

Postby Dutchy » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:04 am

mots02 wrote:[
Hang on, Spargo told me there was high demand for these guys and used them as three examples of how good your player retention was? Also asked me to google the re-signings to to educate myself? so which is it? Were they in demand and discussed in the market or locked away so other clubs didnt have a chance?

High demand but other clubs have been thwarted by us very early by extending them 12-18 months before they came out of contract, you will notice most media attention occurs when they get withing 6-8 months of contract end and there is no signature, as a Crows fan I thought I wouldn't have the spell that one out!
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2333 times
Been liked: 3563 times

Postby Booney » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:11 am

We can simplify this discussion, you're paying Wood, Preuss and Dumont way overs and they would have been lunatics to leave because they wouldn't get anywhere near that money elsewhere and that's because you haven't been able to attract any of the big name free agents you threw the kitchen sink at and you've got bags of money laying around that you have to give to someone.

Happy to help. ;)
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7519 times
Been liked: 10815 times

Postby Booney » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:13 am

Dutchy wrote:Talk about recruiting? Higgins, Waite, Dal Santo took us to 1 win from the Granny recently.

That's becoming less and less relevant by the day, unless of course getting to preliminary finals is measured as a success.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7519 times
Been liked: 10815 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL