Open Mike

Talk on the national game

Re: Open Mike

Postby superlative steve » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:18 am

whufc wrote:Yeah the second version was great, his comments about the WB do show what a joke they are. Laughed my head off at Adam Cooneys comments, and interesting to hear what he thinks about Bob Murphy. Loved his comments about what he had given up to play at the Dogs compared to the other players. What a bunch of knobs.

Much like the Jeff Kennett interview i agreed with lots of his views including ones about gay footballers etc etc.

Only caught the last 20 minutes of the interview, what did he have to say about Cooney and Murphy ?
superlative steve
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 30 times

Postby Shirtfront » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:58 pm

The Dermie interview a few weeks back was a ripper. Didn't know some of the history and life issues he had. Also asked him frankly about some of the hits he put on, his answers were really interesting.
Shirtfront
League Bench Warmer

Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Broadview

Postby carey » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:06 pm

I have recorded every open Mike thus far.

Haven't watched one yet I'm planning on watching them sunday of the long weekend and watch the lot.

Reading the feedback I'm looking forward to viewing them
you've gota keep on keep'n on .........
carey
Coach

Has liked: 2812 times
Been liked: 2999 times
Grassroots Team: Paralowie

Postby JK » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:08 pm

Yeah heard about the Dermie interview and spewing I missed it, sounded like a real eye opener.

As for the Aker interview re: the Bulldogs .. It did sound like a case of workplace bullying, and that Aker had given up more income than anyone, which he believed was his way of showing how committed he was to them.

Of course that was just the one side of the story, but fascinating nonetheless.

As for his comments on Murphy, I missed those and can't remember exactly what it was that he said about Cooney, so hopefully someone else can fill in the blanks.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4465 times
Been liked: 2992 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Baron Greenback » Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:02 pm

JK wrote:Yeah heard about the Dermie interview and spewing I missed it, sounded like a real eye opener.

As for the Aker interview re: the Bulldogs .. It did sound like a case of workplace bullying, and that Aker had given up more income than anyone, which he believed was his way of showing how committed he was to them.

Of course that was just the one side of the story, but fascinating nonetheless.

As for his comments on Murphy, I missed those and can't remember exactly what it was that he said about Cooney, so hopefully someone else can fill in the blanks.

Cooney said something like "If you give up the media, you'll be a 4-time premiership player".
Ham and eggs for breakfast, ham and eggs for tea
Baron Greenback
Coach

Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 26 times
Grassroots Team: Paringa

Postby whufc » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:56 pm

superlative steve wrote:
whufc wrote:Yeah the second version was great, his comments about the WB do show what a joke they are. Laughed my head off at Adam Cooneys comments, and interesting to hear what he thinks about Bob Murphy. Loved his comments about what he had given up to play at the Dogs compared to the other players. What a bunch of knobs.

Much like the Jeff Kennett interview i agreed with lots of his views including ones about gay footballers etc etc.

Only caught the last 20 minutes of the interview, what did he have to say about Cooney and Murphy ?

Cooney- the club sat him down in front of the entire playing group and told him what was to happen which included Akermanis having to give up his media work he was doing (which apparently was worth more money than what he was getting to play football). When Akermain told the playing group what he had given up to play at WB which included a handstand and a fair bit of coin and now the media work. Cooney responded that if Aker was to give up the media work he would become a 4 time premiership player.

Apparently the WB squad was that brittle that everything had to be working exactly perfectly.

He didnt say exact things about Bob Murphy but along the lines that he was the one splitting the playing group, start the rumours, causing all the dramas etc etc.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5611 times
Been liked: 2538 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Shirtfront » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:23 pm

carey wrote:I have recorded every open Mike thus far.

Haven't watched one yet I'm planning on watching them sunday of the long weekend and watch the lot.

Reading the feedback I'm looking forward to viewing them

Make sure you put that to DVD, i'll bloody buy a copy!
Shirtfront
League Bench Warmer

Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Broadview

Postby CUTTERMAN » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:14 pm

wish Fox would put up some past shows on their website to watch in full. Fknmoneyhungrymurdochs :roll:
'PAFC don't want any advantages in the SANFL. It would only take away from any achievements we earned.'
Keith Thomas ABC 891 Radio, 21/6/14.
CUTTERMAN
League - Top 5

Has liked: 213 times
Been liked: 124 times

Postby Baron Greenback » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:44 am

Malcolm Blight next week!
Ham and eggs for breakfast, ham and eggs for tea
Baron Greenback
Coach

Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 26 times
Grassroots Team: Paringa

Postby CoverKing » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:46 pm

CUTTERMAN wrote:wish Fox would put up some past shows on their website to watch in full. Fknmoneyhungrymurdochs :roll:

Or you can stop being a tightarse and get foxtel ;)
I Want to be a Western Youth Ranger!
CoverKing
Coach

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 11 times
Grassroots Team: Flinders Park

Postby Psyber » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:15 pm

CoverKing wrote:
CUTTERMAN wrote:wish Fox would put up some past shows on their website to watch in full. Fknmoneyhungrymurdochs :roll:
FOX have a website? Jeez and I'd never bothered to look for it... ;)
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 395 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby Booney » Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:25 pm

JK wrote:Yeah I don't think it's a surprise to anyone that Aker doesn't think before opening his mouth on many occasions .. It was good though to see him not just acknowledge it, but be the first to bring it up at times.

I had no idea about his personal background and the loss at a young age of his mum, and even his own health issues at a young age.

Also enjoyed his recollection of his onfield battles with Crouchy.

When I saw him speak at a golf day last year he had the room almost in tears, and not with laughter, but with the story he told of his mothers passing.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7519 times
Been liked: 10818 times

Postby CUTTERMAN » Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:59 pm

CoverKing wrote:

It's not about the money doofus, I object to the hijacking of the game by pay tv and the greedy sell off of our game by the AFL. People talk about being custodians of the game which actually means they've gained custody by default and pimped it off. It's a direction they've chosen based solely on money and profits, NOT what is good for the game and the punters/members that have invested so much of their lives and money into the clubs they love.
I'll have no part of it thanks and the day that there is no more FTA is the day I'll stop watching.
'PAFC don't want any advantages in the SANFL. It would only take away from any achievements we earned.'
Keith Thomas ABC 891 Radio, 21/6/14.
CUTTERMAN
League - Top 5

Has liked: 213 times
Been liked: 124 times

Postby Rik E Boy » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:38 pm

Peter Moore was a great footballer but it wasn't rivetting stuff on Open Mike. Essentially the guy said bugger all, especially in comparision to Mathews, Brereton and Balme who all really opened up. Surely after all this time Mike must have known that Moore was going to give bugger all away. The way he responded to 'so what are you doing nowadays' was almost 'a little bit of this a little bit of that nudge nudge wink wink'.

It's a good series Mike but it is not much point getting blokes from the past who are essentially not going to say anything. Pick your guests more carefully.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1699 times
Been liked: 1819 times

Postby Squids » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:44 pm

There are a few on youtube.
Squids
Coach

Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 205 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby dedja » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:38 am

The latest episode with Blighty is worth a look ...
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 207 times
Been liked: 1024 times

Postby Barto » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:35 pm

overloaded wrote:
dedja wrote:He's not allowed to earn some coin?

he is a leech

Yeah!! Why should he earn a living doing what he's good at!!!1?

Prick should be living in a homeless shelter! Amirite?

*grabs pitchfork and burning torch*
It's all the SANFL's fault.
Barto
Veteran

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 6 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:07 pm

dedja wrote:The latest episode with Blighty is worth a look ...

Especially the extended version.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4348 times
Been liked: 7942 times

Postby McAlmanac » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:32 pm

* Mike tries coaxing Blighty into naming any regrets. Blighty fobs him off with some answers then suddenly leans forward. *

“But hang on. I played for Woodville. That was my boyhood dream. Woodville and Adelaide – they’re my teams”. Absolute gold for old Woodville supporters. :D

Also excellent was the way he emphasised to Mike how great the SANFL was back in the day. Sheahan looks a bit puzzled, especially at the reference that we paid little attention to the VFL.

Other great bits:
    The “pathetic effort from Pittman” clip.
    The rant with Stephen Quartermain.
    The black and white clips, particularly the goals at the Western Oval – one particular screw punt goes as high as the famous Princes Park one.
Blighty Teasdale - SuperCoach former World No. 1
McAlmanac
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Postby whufc » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:26 pm

McAlmanac wrote:

* Mike tries coaxing Blighty into naming any regrets. Blighty fobs him off with some answers then suddenly leans forward. *

“But hang on. I played for Woodville. That was my boyhood dream. Woodville and Adelaide – they’re my teams”. Absolute gold for old Woodville supporters. :D

Also excellent was the way he emphasised to Mike how great the SANFL was back in the day. Sheahan looks a bit puzzled, especially at the reference that we paid little attention to the VFL.

Other great bits:
    The “pathetic effort from Pittman” clip.
    The rant with Stephen Quartermain.
    The black and white clips, particularly the goals at the Western Oval – one particular screw punt goes as high as the famous Princes Park one.

Isnt it great when you hear a club legend speak about his old club with such pride.

I loved it earlier in the year when Ian Callinan was asked "Would you give up your 4 SANFL premierships with Centrals to win 1 AFL premiership" ANSWER- NO!!!!!

Loved it the face on the journo was priceless.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5611 times
Been liked: 2538 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL