Port Adelaide 2015

Talk on the national game

Re: Port Adelaide 2015

Postby Jim05 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:12 pm

Red Rocket wrote:I see Ryder is playing this Friday in the Indigenous Allstars v West Coast game.
Wouldnt think the club would be too happy with that, could affect any backdated penalties as that would have to be an official AFL game.

Dempsey and Ryder in the squad.
Would expect both to develop "general soreness" in the next day or so and pull out
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1128 times
Been liked: 3654 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby kickinit » Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:54 pm

Jim05 wrote:
Red Rocket wrote:I see Ryder is playing this Friday in the Indigenous Allstars v West Coast game.
Wouldnt think the club would be too happy with that, could affect any backdated penalties as that would have to be an official AFL game.

Dempsey and Ryder in the squad.
Would expect both to develop "general soreness" in the next day or so and pull out

They were apart of the squad that was invited to the camp. Squad of 40 was released today and both players are not playing.

http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2 ... tars-squad
We're on this journey together, One Heart, One Club and they will Never Ever Tear Us Apart.
kickinit
League - Top 5

Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 95 times

Postby marbles » Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:48 pm

ryder might be all the talk but krackers gonna own it this year!
marbles
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 287 times
Been liked: 263 times

Postby Spargo » Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:01 pm

marbles wrote:ryder might be all the talk but krackers gonna own it this year!

Not all of us were born post 1990 or are from the Bronx, so if we can keep the lingo in line with some partial normality that would be greatly appreciated for us older folk in our late 30's ;)
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5707 times
Been liked: 5276 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby marbles » Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:21 pm

Spargo wrote:
marbles wrote:ryder might be all the talk but krackers gonna own it this year!

Not all of us were born post 1990 or are from the Bronx, so if we can keep the lingo in line with some partial normality that would be greatly appreciated for us older folk in our late 30's ;)

ok i will say it in your lingo...

the introduction of patrick ryder is very much exciting as his presence has been very much endearing for not only port adelaide supporters but for south australian football as a whole, however the not so hyped second introduction of nathan "polly want a" kracker in my opinion will reap greater rewards as the year passes whilst you yourself at the same time hopefully will get moved into your own room at the nursing home instead of having to share a room with somebody else ;)
marbles
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 287 times
Been liked: 263 times

Postby Booney » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:10 am

Krakouer,@Spargo, Nathan Krakouer. The former Power listed player who left in, what can only be described as poor circumstances to join the Gold coast Suns, only to return to the Magpies last year and be rookie listed by the Power this year.

He's no gang bangin' cracker, that's fo shiz ma nizz.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7634 times
Been liked: 11101 times

Postby Failed Creation » Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:31 am

Booney wrote:Krakouer,@Spargo, Nathan Krakouer. The former Power listed player who left in, what can only be described as poor circumstances to join the Gold coast Suns, only to return to the Magpies last year and be rookie listed by the Power this year.

He's no gang bangin' cracker, that's fo shiz ma nizz.

Word.
Politicians kissing babies for good luck,
TV preachers sell salvation for a buck.
You don't need no golden cross to tell you wrong from right,
The world's worst murderers were those who saw the light.
Failed Creation
Coach

Has liked: 3307 times
Been liked: 615 times
Grassroots Team: Gawler Central

Postby Booney » Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:13 pm

Ken Hinkley will move to the back row of the coaches box for two NAB games, allowing Mathew Nicks to take the role as head coach, giving Nicks a chance to "develop his coaching".

http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2 ... -challenge

KEN Hinkley will step away from his usual seat in the coaching box for Port Adelaide's first two NAB Challenge games and instead allow the Power's defence coach Matthew Nicks to act as senior.

Nicks, 39, has been the Power's defensive coach since 2013 and will act as senior coach for the Power's games against West Coast and Richmond over the next fortnight.

Hinkley believes giving Nicks oversight of the team will benefit both his playing group and coaching panel on the eve of the 2015 home-and-away season.

“Nicksy's work as defensive coach has been of a very high quality and we think it's good for him, the coaching group and the players that he gets the chance to put the game plan together [during the NAB Challenge]," Hinkley said.

“I think anything we can do to develop our coaches is going to help the team.”

Nicks's primary role will be to "implement and coordinate" the learnings of the 2015 pre-season against the Eagles and Tigers.

"I appreciate the opportunity Ken and the Club have given me,” Nicks says.

"This is a great chance for me to continue to develop my own coaching skills, sitting in the seat of the senior coach."

Port Adelaide plays West Coast at Norwood Oval on Sunday 8 March at 4:10pm (ACDT), Richmond in Lavington, NSW at 4:40pm (AEDT) and the Crows - with Hinkley back at the helm - at AAMI Stadium at 3:40pm (ACDT)
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby valleys07 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:32 pm

If he Nicks off to another club at seasons end as a result of this exposure, i'll be Philthy.
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 769 times
Been liked: 1173 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Booney » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:59 pm

:lol:

"Hey Jimmy, you should change your name too. How about 'Ollie Wines'."
Attachments
Jimmy Toumpas.jpg
Jimmy Toumpas.jpg (32.03 KiB) Viewed 1208 times
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby valleys07 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:54 pm

NAB 1 Review vs. West Coast- Invade the Parade!

PA 1.11.14.89
WC 7.7.49

First off- it was great to see the boys in action for 2015. Obviously one can’t read too much into the results during the NAB series, with games heavily compromised by best 22 omissions. In my opinion, the following (if fit), would all play for their respective sides:

PA- Chad Wingard, Paddy Ryder, Jackson Trengove, Jared Polec, Matthew Broadbent, Angus Monfires, Jack Hombsch.

WC- Nic Naitanui, Jack Darling, Eric Mackenzie, Will Schofield, Shannon Hurn, Scott Selwood, Chris Masten.

The 40 point win to be honest is probably slightly below what I was hoping for/expecting given the outs that West Coast had (I was thinking an 8-9 goal win). The game for mine was a good first up hit out for Port, their first serious chance to dust off the cobwebs after 4 months of another torturous Burgess/Hinkley pre-season. There were plenty of positives to take out of today, but I will touch on those later.

Some areas of improvement for mine:

Port controlled possession, winning the disposal count 347-275. Not indicative of the result, more indicative of Port’s overuse. See handballs:

West Coast very good in the contested stakes, winning tackles 62-49. Contested possessions were even. Shuey, Yeo, McInnes each with 7 tackles and Priddis with 5. For mine, it wasn’t so much the tackle count, but the way both sides tackled- too many Power tackles were just brushed aside, something that I’m sure will be reviewed.

Handballs- Port 172>142. Didn’t like the way we used the handball for much of the game today. Tim Ginever aptly described it in the AA post match summary, “we tried to play like millionaires”. Robbie Gray is the exponent of the look away handball in the Port squad- leave it to him. We tried fancy ball movement, often trying to unnecessarily bring team mates into the game. It throws forward’s leads out of sync, often leaving opposition players the opportunity to get back and defend the target/space. Get it in quick!

My top 5:

Robbie Gray- All superlatives were covered last year, but this bloke is and was today, an out and out superstar. Best on ground by the length of the Flemington Straight. 28 touches and 3 goals at 85% D/E. Wizardry with ball in hand and brings team mates into the game with creative use of the footy and exquisite footwork. Honestly tempting @ $26 for the Chas.

Travis Boak- Sensing a pattern here? Same names, same output. Boak again lead from the front brilliantly, his gut running a highlight for all 9212 to see. 22 touches (11 contested) 5 tackles and 3 I50’s rounded out a welcome start to the 2015 season.

Brad Ebert- Was really taken aback by him today. Set up multiple attacking forays with some excellent link-up, and trade mark gut running that we have come to expect. 24 touches (17 uncontested) and 6 I50’s are some pretty solid numbers. His D/E still down on what we need him to be (70%), but getting his hands on the cod is crucial for him in the early stages, as Port can’t afford to have a repeat of his 2014 form slump, which I’m sure he will attest.

Paul Stewart- His start to the season has really surprised me (as well as impressed me), and could be a shock starter in round 1. Stood out in the match simulation and was excellent again today, seemingly having found a new lease playing across half back. 16 disposals at 100% efficiency, 4 R50’s and a game high 6 1% acts will certainly have him amongst discussions. A round 1 smokey for mine if Jacko doesn’t come up.
Ollie Wines- Not a great return looking at his numbers (18D, 9CP, 4CL), but showed enough to suggest he will play a big hand in transitioning our midfield from bloody good to elite this season. Just an absolute bull around the contest and even after a couple of knocks was still able to influence. Has added a bit of breakaway speed to his game, so not only are we going to see him collect more footy on the outside, his centre clearance and stoppage work will go to new levels this year with his ability to collect, spread and link up with our receivers.

Of our other players:

Karl Amon, Andrew Moore, Aaron Young and Jarman Impey were fringe players slash youngsters that impressed today. Karl hit Robbie Gray with a left foot bullet that wouldn’t have gone higher than 3 meters from the ground in the last quarter which had me crossing my legs with excitement, and Jarman looks to have really elevated his defensive pressure, forcing WC players in making many forced errors throughout the day. Moore and Young did some good things, but still have a way to go to force their way into the side on a regular basis.

Other notes- The Krak did enough to suggest a senior game pends a recall to the senior list, it’s evident he belongs at the level. We need clean users of the footy from the back half and his 7 touches at 100% from 38% game time had me leaving the parade with a smile. He looked to have a few extra seconds up his sleeve enabling him to make astute decisions. John Butcher did some nice things- yeah ok, I’m going to cop some flack here- but his importance to the side will never come from the goals he kicks (or doesn’t kick for that matter), but for the contest he creates. 2 Contests that he crashed resulted in crumbing goals today, and he took some fair pack marks. The likelihood that we will be without Ryder for at least the first half of the year increases by the week, so we have to look at a foil for that long kick into the forward 50. We are not always going to be able to hit Schulz or Westhoff lace out, and will be without Wingard and Monfries for R1, so we are going to have to try something. With his version of a full pre-season (90%), a first since he was drafted- the time is now for John Butcher. Watch the next 2 games with interest. Tom Jonas is an incredible defender 1 on 1- completely towelled Josh Kennedy once Nicksy made the switch from Carlisle after Bobby got his colours well and truly lowered against Kennedy for the 2nd pre-season game in 3 years. I for one can’t wait to see how Ken manoeuvres our back 6 when we add Ryder to the line-up. An area of concern once again is our depth in our back 6, Clurey doing himself no favours IMO with another less than impressive performance.

A touch of disappointment to an otherwise great day was the news of a groin strain to Hamish Hartlett. Hammer was in good spirits after the match, confident he will be up for round 1. More on his injury here:

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-03-08/p ... d-hartlett

I’m already looking forward to our next match next Saturday at Lavington Sports Ground in Albury NSW against the Tigers. Ken has previously declared intent to take a fairly young squad over, considering the travel factor to Perth in round 1 when deciding when to rest our guns during the NAB series. Expect a close to full strength side for NAB 3 against the Crows.

Until next time, carn the Pear!

Valleys.
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

valleys07
Coach

Postby valleys07 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:52 pm

Tom Clurey looking to stay at Alberton beyond this season:

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl ... 7255356241

valleys07
Coach

Postby Booney » Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:48 pm

Membership over 55,600.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Booney » Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:56 am

Over 56,000 this morning.

Tuesday March 11 - 800+ memberships sold.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby heater31 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:23 pm

Beginning to think the administration of this club are getting a little too big for its boots.....in the past 48 hours or so they have whinged about getting no compensation for its former Essendon players, now in today's rag wanting to dictate terms if they will play a practice match at Footy Park.

Who do they think they are? Collingwood?
heater31

Has liked: 526 times
Been liked: 1273 times

Postby Fricky » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:25 pm

heater31 wrote:Beginning to think the administration of this club are getting a little too big for its boots.....in the past 48 hours or so they have whinged about getting no compensation for its former Essendon players, now in today's rag wanting to dictate terms if they will play a practice match at Footy Park.

I don't think Thomas was saying they wanted top up players. More that they and the Bulldogs should have been involved in the conversations about top up players, which is a fair enough comment to make.
Fricky
League - Best 21

Has liked: 95 times
Been liked: 120 times
Grassroots Team: Walkerville

Postby wristwatcher » Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:08 pm

valleys07 wrote:NAB 1 Review vs. West Coast- Invade the Parade!

PA 1.11.14.89
WC 7.7.49

First off- it was great to see the boys in action for 2015. Obviously one can’t read too much into the results during the NAB series, with games heavily compromised by best 22 omissions. In my opinion, the following (if fit), would all play for their respective sides:

PA- Chad Wingard, Paddy Ryder, Jackson Trengove, Jared Polec, Matthew Broadbent, Angus Monfires, Jack Hombsch.

WC- Nic Naitanui, Jack Darling, Eric Mackenzie, Will Schofield, Shannon Hurn, Scott Selwood, Chris Masten.

The 40 point win to be honest is probably slightly below what I was hoping for/expecting given the outs that West Coast had (I was thinking an 8-9 goal win). The game for mine was a good first up hit out for Port, their first serious chance to dust off the cobwebs after 4 months of another torturous Burgess/Hinkley pre-season. There were plenty of positives to take out of today, but I will touch on those later.

Some areas of improvement for mine:

Port controlled possession, winning the disposal count 347-275. Not indicative of the result, more indicative of Port’s overuse. See handballs:

West Coast very good in the contested stakes, winning tackles 62-49. Contested possessions were even. Shuey, Yeo, McInnes each with 7 tackles and Priddis with 5. For mine, it wasn’t so much the tackle count, but the way both sides tackled- too many Power tackles were just brushed aside, something that I’m sure will be reviewed.

Handballs- Port 172>142. Didn’t like the way we used the handball for much of the game today. Tim Ginever aptly described it in the AA post match summary, “we tried to play like millionaires”. Robbie Gray is the exponent of the look away handball in the Port squad- leave it to him. We tried fancy ball movement, often trying to unnecessarily bring team mates into the game. It throws forward’s leads out of sync, often leaving opposition players the opportunity to get back and defend the target/space. Get it in quick!

My top 5:

Robbie Gray- All superlatives were covered last year, but this bloke is and was today, an out and out superstar. Best on ground by the length of the Flemington Straight. 28 touches and 3 goals at 85% D/E. Wizardry with ball in hand and brings team mates into the game with creative use of the footy and exquisite footwork. Honestly tempting @ $26 for the Chas.

Travis Boak- Sensing a pattern here? Same names, same output. Boak again lead from the front brilliantly, his gut running a highlight for all 9212 to see. 22 touches (11 contested) 5 tackles and 3 I50’s rounded out a welcome start to the 2015 season.

Brad Ebert- Was really taken aback by him today. Set up multiple attacking forays with some excellent link-up, and trade mark gut running that we have come to expect. 24 touches (17 uncontested) and 6 I50’s are some pretty solid numbers. His D/E still down on what we need him to be (70%), but getting his hands on the cod is crucial for him in the early stages, as Port can’t afford to have a repeat of his 2014 form slump, which I’m sure he will attest.

Paul Stewart- His start to the season has really surprised me (as well as impressed me), and could be a shock starter in round 1. Stood out in the match simulation and was excellent again today, seemingly having found a new lease playing across half back. 16 disposals at 100% efficiency, 4 R50’s and a game high 6 1% acts will certainly have him amongst discussions. A round 1 smokey for mine if Jacko doesn’t come up.
Ollie Wines- Not a great return looking at his numbers (18D, 9CP, 4CL), but showed enough to suggest he will play a big hand in transitioning our midfield from bloody good to elite this season. Just an absolute bull around the contest and even after a couple of knocks was still able to influence. Has added a bit of breakaway speed to his game, so not only are we going to see him collect more footy on the outside, his centre clearance and stoppage work will go to new levels this year with his ability to collect, spread and link up with our receivers.

Of our other players:

Karl Amon, Andrew Moore, Aaron Young and Jarman Impey were fringe players slash youngsters that impressed today. Karl hit Robbie Gray with a left foot bullet that wouldn’t have gone higher than 3 meters from the ground in the last quarter which had me crossing my legs with excitement, and Jarman looks to have really elevated his defensive pressure, forcing WC players in making many forced errors throughout the day. Moore and Young did some good things, but still have a way to go to force their way into the side on a regular basis.

Other notes- The Krak did enough to suggest a senior game pends a recall to the senior list, it’s evident he belongs at the level. We need clean users of the footy from the back half and his 7 touches at 100% from 38% game time had me leaving the parade with a smile. He looked to have a few extra seconds up his sleeve enabling him to make astute decisions. John Butcher did some nice things- yeah ok, I’m going to cop some flack here- but his importance to the side will never come from the goals he kicks (or doesn’t kick for that matter), but for the contest he creates. 2 Contests that he crashed resulted in crumbing goals today, and he took some fair pack marks. The likelihood that we will be without Ryder for at least the first half of the year increases by the week, so we have to look at a foil for that long kick into the forward 50. We are not always going to be able to hit Schulz or Westhoff lace out, and will be without Wingard and Monfries for R1, so we are going to have to try something. With his version of a full pre-season (90%), a first since he was drafted- the time is now for John Butcher. Watch the next 2 games with interest. Tom Jonas is an incredible defender 1 on 1- completely towelled Josh Kennedy once Nicksy made the switch from Carlisle after Bobby got his colours well and truly lowered against Kennedy for the 2nd pre-season game in 3 years. I for one can’t wait to see how Ken manoeuvres our back 6 when we add Ryder to the line-up. An area of concern once again is our depth in our back 6, Clurey doing himself no favours IMO with another less than impressive performance.

A touch of disappointment to an otherwise great day was the news of a groin strain to Hamish Hartlett. Hammer was in good spirits after the match, confident he will be up for round 1. More on his injury here:

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-03-08/p ... d-hartlett

I’m already looking forward to our next match next Saturday at Lavington Sports Ground in Albury NSW against the Tigers. Ken has previously declared intent to take a fairly young squad over, considering the travel factor to Perth in round 1 when deciding when to rest our guns during the NAB series. Expect a close to full strength side for NAB 3 against the Crows.

Until next time, carn the Pear!

Valleys.

Great review chief. You must have been well coached at some point in your career ;)

I'm looking forward to next weekends pre-season Showdown at Aami. Unfortunately I'm working at the game until half time but should be good to see the boys before the season proper. I assume all the usual suspects will be present??? Boony, Carey and FC?
The PNU Falcs 2005,06,13 x 2,14 and Div 1 Premiers in 2019......The SA 3peat - 2003,04,05
wristwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 861 times

Postby stan » Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:12 pm

heater31 wrote:Beginning to think the administration of this club are getting a little too big for its boots.....in the past 48 hours or so they have whinged about getting no compensation for its former Essendon players, now in today's rag wanting to dictate terms if they will play a practice match at Footy Park.

If the ground is a bit average then they should have a say if they play on the surface or not. Wouldn't have thought there was much of a problem with that.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1271 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby heater31 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:49 pm

stan wrote:

If the ground is a bit average then they should have a say if they play on the surface or not. Wouldn't have thought there was much of a problem with that.

Even when the AFL turf consultant says it's fine?
heater31

Has liked: 526 times
Been liked: 1273 times

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:26 am

Don't get me started on any club complaining on some turf issues. It's a game of football ffs. I can understand if a ground is rock hard as it causes injuries but otherwise carry on.
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 773 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL