Womens Teams Announced

Talk on the national game

Re: Womens Teams Announced

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:21 pm

Who said this and where did you hear this comment, LK?
It can't have been someone too intimately involved in sport - as they'd have experienced exactly what LM posted above.

I would think that suggesting that all men are potentially perverts is, actually, quite Un-PC.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:47 pm

It was on Perth talkback Tuesday night. Karl Langdon absolutely spat it but if someone high profile took it to task it would just halt the development of the league and the sports development. As I said just let the girls play. The other instances I'd prefer not to say on here to be honest. None of it was made formal and the said clubs probably wouldn't appreciate me putting it on here. it's just unnecessary comments which are always from uninformed idiots with a chip on their shoulder
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 73 times
Been liked: 747 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:54 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
LaughingKookaburra wrote:I think a potential issue is the feminazi's that will make this new comp too politically correct. I heard a bird on talk back last week saying that men shouldn't have any place in the involvement in coaching and support staff because there will be perverts in the change rooms. I've heard small snipets over the past couple years of other clueless idiots saying similar things at grassroots level too. Just let the girls play for god sake there is things in place already. Hopefully this generates more coin and funding so we can have a proper reserves comp too at AFL level.

I've been involved in women's footy for near 10 years, there are mainly male coaches and mainly male umpires, quite often while umpiring our change rooms are attached to the home teams change room and there have never been any awkward moments.

The team managers bring the team sheets into the umpires rooms and if you need to take a slash before you go out the coach is usually addressing the players 10 minutes prior to the game.

There is very little need for umpires or officials to be around the change rooms during the times that the women need to be getting changed either before or after the game, mind you, there are some women who just walk around the changerooms in the nick for quite some time with no care of who is around.

If someone is going to tarnish their credibility by being a pervert I'd be astonished, it's no different to women trainers or male nurses.

Totally agree. I love the atmosphere you get at the girls matches. It's something that all levels of the male side of the game could seriously take a leaf from. The crowds especially are exceptional when compared to men's and junior boys games.
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Postby Brodlach » Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:56 pm

Has anyone seen a costing for this?
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4217 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:00 pm

LaughingKookaburra wrote:
Totally agree. I love the atmosphere you get at the girls matches. It's something that all levels of the male side of the game could seriously take a leaf from. The crowds especially are exceptional when compared to men's and junior boys games.

Ummmm, we wont pretty it up too much, I cop far more on-field garb in a women's match than I do in men's or junior matches, I try to be a little more lenient as far as getting a disposal out in heavy traffic and the littler aspects of the game.

The standard did take me by surprise initially and continually grows each season, as does the the SAWFL competition as it gains a few new clubs each season along with the strong clubs get stronger.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4348 times
Been liked: 7942 times

Postby marbles » Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:03 pm

who's gonna pay $50 to go see a game of womens footy?
marbles
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 276 times
Been liked: 259 times

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:03 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:Who said this and where did you hear this comment, LK?
It can't have been someone too intimately involved in sport - as they'd have experienced exactly what LM posted above.

I would think that suggesting that all men are potentially perverts is, actually, quite Un-PC.

No, you're right. Maybe over protective is a better way of putting it. Like society in general people find fear in things they don't have an understanding of. So your suggestion that it's somebody who wouldn't have the intimate knowledge of how any footy club is run would be spot on.
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Postby heater31 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:04 pm

Brodlach wrote:Has anyone seen a costing for this?

Reckon the AFL you have to be tapping into some federal government money as well.

With Cricket Australia launching a successful women's 20/20 league with TV Rights it's kicked the AFL's behind into action.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1265 times

Postby stan » Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:04 pm

gossipgirl wrote:
carey wrote:Total waste of time and money.

Funds would be fair better used saving grassroots clubs and grassroots competitions, where plenty of Comps are currently on there knees.

Yes they should just stay in the kitchen, it's just crazy they can vote as well...... I thought dinosaurs were extinct !

Calm down. Hes just having an opinion. Hes not having a go at the idea because he is old fashioned, he made a good point about better use of resources.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1255 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby marbles » Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:05 pm

be worth paying to go see the adelaide girls play footy, than going to watch the redbacks
marbles
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 276 times
Been liked: 259 times

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:06 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:

Ummmm, we wont pretty it up too much, I cop far more on-field garb in a women's match than I do in men's or junior matches, I try to be a little more lenient as far as getting a disposal out in heavy traffic and the littler aspects of the game.

The standard did take me by surprise initially and continually grows each season, as does the the SAWFL competition as it gains a few new clubs each season along with the strong clubs get stronger.

Wow really? That genuinely surprised me. All games I have seen I couldn't speak highly enough of the player and crowd behaviour.
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:15 pm

Brodlach wrote:Has anyone seen a costing for this?

Each club getting $1m from the AFL for starters
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3556 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:18 pm

Wow really? That genuinely surprised me. All games I have seen I couldn't speak highly enough of the player and crowd behaviour.

In SA or WA?
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:20 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:

In SA or WA?

Saw a couple games in WA when I was there. I mainly see junior girls matches but saw a game last year too. All pretty consistent in their behaviour.
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Postby BZB27 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:37 pm

I see that marquee players will get 25k per season and drop off on a sliding scale from draft order.

Also they got father/daughter rule.
BZB27
League - Best 21

Has liked: 216 times
Been liked: 173 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:24 pm

BZB27 wrote:I see that marquee players will get 25k per season and drop off on a sliding scale from draft order.

Also they got father/daughter rule.

It will be like the BBL, all wrapped up in a few weeks from what I've gathered.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Booney » Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:51 pm

So the season is 8 weeks from Feb-March next year.

In my view, that's not really giving the ladies the best exposure, is it? Most football fans are just coming out of hibernation around Feb/March and I don't think most will be inspired to go and see a stand alone ladies game. Most people care very little about the NAB Cup or make an effort to go to the games at that time of year. Cricket is wrapping up, soccer too.

Why not play the competition as curtain raisers around the mid season byes? Why not have, lets say this weekend in Adelaide where there is no AFL game, a double header with Adelaide hosting a Vic side and Fremantle hosting a Vic side?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7519 times
Been liked: 10817 times

Postby am Bays » Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:00 pm

Zartan wrote:Womens footy will open the door to a new range of sponsors, supporters, members etc etc.. Like it or not it's here to stay.

Not to mention ensure ongoing Governmant grants and new ones....
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 1830 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:24 pm

Booney wrote:So the season is 8 weeks from Feb-March next year.

In my view, that's not really giving the ladies the best exposure, is it? Most football fans are just coming out of hibernation around Feb/March and I don't think most will be inspired to go and see a stand alone ladies game. Most people care very little about the NAB Cup or make an effort to go to the games at that time of year. Cricket is wrapping up, soccer too.

Why not play the competition as curtain raisers around the mid season byes? Why not have, lets say this weekend in Adelaide where there is no AFL game, a double header with Adelaide hosting a Vic side and Fremantle hosting a Vic side?

I'm sure that's a long term goal, maybe they looked at it the other way and thought it would be perfect timing for the footy starved public.

I'm with you though, why not play curtain raisers to games that are unlikely to pack a full house.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Booney » Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:49 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Booney wrote:So the season is 8 weeks from Feb-March next year.

I'm sure that's a long term goal, maybe they looked at it the other way and thought it would be perfect timing for the footy starved public.

I'm with you though, why not play curtain raisers to games that are unlikely to pack a full house.

I guess to draw revenue they need to be stand alone games, if it's a curtain raiser the season ticket holders don't pay to see it.

Surely though they won't open up AO, MCG, Gabba etc for a ladies game on it's own just yet?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7519 times
Been liked: 10817 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL