Carlton

Talk on the national game

Re: Carlton 2015

Postby JK » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:42 am

Suri wrote:
JK wrote:Most, if not all, at AFL headquarters and on the commission absolutely lauded Trigg and rated him massively as an administrator until the Tippett fiasco emerged.

Carlton might have seen an opportunity to pick up someone they think has the know-how at less $$ than would usually be commanded, because his value had taken a big drop?

I think that Trigg may look better than he actually is. At the Crows, I don't think he had to work hard for memberships, sponsorships, crowd numbers etc as they were always high. At Carlton he actually has to work his arse off to increase these parts of the footy club. A red flag for me was that people complained that they were ringing up Carlton to renew/become members and the phones were ringing out, so that cracked it and didn't sign up. Trigg even came out and said that they didn't put enough focus on the membership side of things.

Time will tell over the next few years if Trigg is worth it.

Fair call - He is probably now in the role where we will see his true colours. I can't stand the bloke, but for the sake of having a competitive Carlton I want the club to improve, meaning his performance will be quite important.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4468 times
Been liked: 3009 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby bennymacca » Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:51 am

Fwiw I always thought he was pretty good until the Tippett debacle. And then when he pulled a James Hird and refused to resign I lost the respect I had for him.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby stan » Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:51 pm

bennymacca wrote:Fwiw I always thought he was pretty good until the Tippett debacle. And then when he pulled a James Hird and refused to resign I lost the respect I had for him.

He did offer to resign. The Crows wouldn't accept it.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1271 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby gossipgirl » Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:01 pm

stan wrote:
bennymacca wrote:Fwiw I always thought he was pretty good until the Tippett debacle. And then when he pulled a James Hird and refused to resign I lost the respect I had for him.

there is no room for Facts on a witch hunt :D
Adelaide Crows World champions 2017 - Crows 4.11 to Lions 4.5
gossipgirl
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1451 times
Been liked: 57 times
Grassroots Team: Boston

Postby bennymacca » Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:04 pm

stan wrote:

nobody can stop you from walking out of a place.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby gadj1976 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:31 pm

JK wrote:Most, if not all, at AFL headquarters and on the commission absolutely lauded Trigg and rated him massively as an administrator until the Tippett fiasco emerged.

Carlton might have seen an opportunity to pick up someone they think has the know-how at less $$ than would usually be commanded, because his value had taken a big drop?

6-800k I heard
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 781 times
Been liked: 846 times

Postby JK » Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:34 pm

gadj1976 wrote:

6-800k I heard

Well that faarks my theory
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4468 times
Been liked: 3009 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby stan » Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:58 pm

bennymacca wrote:
stan wrote:

nobody can stop you from walking out of a place.

He offered to resign but Chapman didn't want him to. So he stayed.
stan
Coach

Postby stan » Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:59 pm

gossipgirl wrote:
stan wrote:

there is no room for Facts on a witch hunt :D

Sorry its been a long day and I forgot where I was posting. [emoji6]
stan
Coach

Postby marbles » Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:57 pm

Blues could get em this week
marbles
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 287 times
Been liked: 262 times

Postby kneedeepinthehoopla » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:01 pm

marbles wrote:Blues could get em this week

Big chance
kneedeepinthehoopla
Under 16s

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 54 times

Postby marbles » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:03 pm

kneedeepinthehoopla wrote:

Big chance

Especially with hartigan in for the crows lol ;) only kidding kyle
marbles
Assistant Coach

Postby Spargo » Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:38 pm

Couldn't win if they started now.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5701 times
Been liked: 5272 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby gadj1976 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:40 pm

So now that Malthouse is gone and Judd isn't part of the picture for 2016, it's time to look at what we can aim for.

On the chopping block for one reason or another are Watson, Ellard, Carazzo, Holman and possibly Curnow and Armfield. Hopefully Warnock gets moved on too. On top of that, Yarran and Henderson are being touted as trade bait or being head hunted.

Priorities, as I've said for the past nearly 10 years, a key back and forward and now a small goal kicking forward as well.

The problem we have is that we have zero salary cap space available given that we've signed Gibbs, Murphy and Thomas on long term deals. Alongside that, Jones and Tutt both got longer term deals than they deserved last draft/trade period. So we're looking to fill voids with lower key players from other clubs as well as getting decent draft picks (almost impossible).

So the ones I think we can get from other clubs to increase/better our list. Hurley and Carllsle (Ess), Walters (Freo), Sinclair (WCE), Stokes (Gee), Garland (Melb), Dixon (GC), Tarrant (NM). Obviously not all of them but we should have a crack at a few of them.

Each of them will have their reasons for staying and Carlton aren't exactly a club that is sought after so SOS is going to have to work hard to get anyone with any experience to us. Mind you, Barks is restoring some respect to the club which is good.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 781 times
Been liked: 846 times

Postby marbles » Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:31 pm

Dangerfield and Jake Lever to Carlton :)
marbles
Assistant Coach

Postby Jim05 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:43 pm

gadj1976 wrote:So now that Malthouse is gone and Judd isn't part of the picture for 2016, it's time to look at what we can aim for.

On the chopping block for one reason or another are Watson, Ellard, Carazzo, Holman and possibly Curnow and Armfield. Hopefully Warnock gets moved on too. On top of that, Yarran and Henderson are being touted as trade bait or being head hunted.

Priorities, as I've said for the past nearly 10 years, a key back and forward and now a small goal kicking forward as well.

The problem we have is that we have zero salary cap space available given that we've signed Gibbs, Murphy and Thomas on long term deals. Alongside that, Jones and Tutt both got longer term deals than they deserved last draft/trade period. So we're looking to fill voids with lower key players from other clubs as well as getting decent draft picks (almost impossible).

So the ones I think we can get from other clubs to increase/better our list. Hurley and Carllsle (Ess), Walters (Freo), Sinclair (WCE), Stokes (Gee), Garland (Melb), Dixon (GC), Tarrant (NM). Obviously not all of them but we should have a crack at a few of them.

Each of them will have their reasons for staying and Carlton aren't exactly a club that is sought after so SOS is going to have to work hard to get anyone with any experience to us. Mind you, Barks is restoring some respect to the club which is good.

Hurley signed until 2017 on big coin.
Carlisle's contract up at end of this year, Hawks were keen last year. Im OS currently but before I left there was talk the club was in talks with him over a new 5 year $3.5m deal
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1128 times
Been liked: 3650 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby beef » Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:28 am

Stokes is the only one you could get "cheap" but being probably his last contract he'd want more money for his retirement fund. Walters is a gun who would probably demand $700k, Tarrant and Dixon similar as bigs dont grow on trees, however Dixon would be the one as his price may go down slightly with his off field issues recently. The major issue i see is we dont have anything to offer other clubs. Everyone you mentioned would be lucky to get a third round draft pick for. Only Cripps and Menzel have any currency at the trade table and if we give them up i'd be very upset and surprised, as far as im concerned everyone else is up for trade but no point making a deal just for the sake of it if it doesnt better Carlton. Way too many blokes in the side that up to AFL standard. Cant understand why you would go after Jacksch so hard and then play him in the VFL, surely he gets given a game for the rest of the season to see if he is up to it. Jones and Tutt were horrible pick ups and the most upsetting thing about Judd going off on Saturday was not that he was gone but that Tutt came on, Judd on one leg would've been better.
beef
League - Best 21

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 257 times

Postby helicopterking » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:34 am

beef wrote:Stokes is the only one you could get "cheap" but being probably his last contract he'd want more money for his retirement fund. Walters is a gun who would probably demand $700k, Tarrant and Dixon similar as bigs dont grow on trees, however Dixon would be the one as his price may go down slightly with his off field issues recently. The major issue i see is we dont have anything to offer other clubs. Everyone you mentioned would be lucky to get a third round draft pick for. Only Cripps and Menzel have any currency at the trade table and if we give them up i'd be very upset and surprised, as far as im concerned everyone else is up for trade but no point making a deal just for the sake of it if it doesnt better Carlton. Way too many blokes in the side that up to AFL standard. Cant understand why you would go after Jacksch so hard and then play him in the VFL, surely he gets given a game for the rest of the season to see if he is up to it. Jones and Tutt were horrible pick ups and the most upsetting thing about Judd going off on Saturday was not that he was gone but that Tutt came on, Judd on one leg would've been better.

Your right, you don't have a lot to trade.
Go to draft, make sure you get it right. You do not want to trade your picks. I'd start planning for 4/5 years time, no way would trade for anyone over the age of 26.
helicopterking
Coach

Has liked: 298 times
Been liked: 683 times

Postby Rik E Boy » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:36 pm

You can have Stokes. Can't remember the last time he genuinely impacted a game.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1727 times
Been liked: 1831 times

Postby MatteeG » Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:19 pm

Rik E Boy wrote:You can have Stokes. Can't remember the last time he genuinely impacted a game.

regards,

REB

Reckon he played a good final for the Eagles in the early 2000s... 8)
helicopterking wrote:Flaggies will choke. Always have.
MatteeG
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 519 times
Been liked: 510 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL