Port 2014 - Pre-Season/General Discussion

Talk on the national game

Re: Port 2014 - Pre-Season/General Discussion

Postby Rik E Boy » Sat May 10, 2014 12:37 pm

Port will be loving this. Mitchell, Rioli out and maybe Roughie out suspended with Gibbo and Hodge not fully fit either. Port v Hawthorn is massive for the Hawks who don't make a habit of losing two games in a row. Hawthorn have elite kicking skills of course but Hill and Smith aside there isn't a lot of pace and Port's run and spread is a real weapon.

Hopefully the belt the living suitcase out of Fremantle today while my boys rest up in preparation for out trip West.

regards,

REB
Last edited by Rik E Boy on Sat May 10, 2014 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1705 times
Been liked: 1823 times

Postby valleys07 » Sat May 10, 2014 12:50 pm

Lobbe out
Renouf in.

**** does that throw the cat amongst the pigeons..
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 768 times
Been liked: 1174 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Rik E Boy » Sat May 10, 2014 12:55 pm

valleys07 wrote:Lobbe out
Renouf in.

**** does that throw the cat amongst the pigeons..

Sandilands will get his usual zillion ineffectual hit out wins. Changes nothing. Freo are all about the team defence (which will be weaker today) and midfield grunt. I reckon Mayne might go back today.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1705 times
Been liked: 1823 times

Postby Jim05 » Sat May 10, 2014 1:43 pm

Port by plenty. Freo will struggle to kick 7-8 goals
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1127 times
Been liked: 3570 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby GWW » Sat May 10, 2014 3:23 pm

If Port win, it will be by a goal or 2.

Freo look very, very good to half time, I think they'll win by about 4 goals, although Port not without a chance at all if they lift.
GWW

Has liked: 816 times
Been liked: 166 times

Postby carey » Sat May 10, 2014 6:18 pm

GWW wrote:If Port win, it will be by a goal or 2.

Freo look very, very good to half time, I think they'll win by about 4 goals, although Port not without a chance at all if they lift.

I thought we were shit house for the first 3 1/4's. Granted Freos pressure was very good but I thought our last 1/4 was outstanding.

Hinkleys move initially to rest Lobbe and effectively give him 2 weeks rest knowing we'd lose hit outs regardless was very smart although I believe the move to sub out Renouf and throw Trengrove in the ruck was a great move and went a long way to the result. But also highlights the importance of Lobbe.

Wingard was awesome and that mark! Wish he kicked the goal tho. Robbie Grays 2nd half was awesome, Boak worked hard, Mitchell runs and runs, Carlile was outstanding on Pav as was Impey on that little pest I'm also getting more and more impressed with Hombesh each game he plays. Is it just me or does Pittard look to second guess himself every time he gets the ball? I'm always nervous when the ball is in his hands although he plays in front of O'Shea everyday of the week.

I guess we really haven't strung together a full 4 1/4 effort at all this year slow starts against Geelong, GWS and Brissy we let the Crows in the front in the 3rd term, The roos in the last and then today's first 3 1/4's but hey were 7 and 1 we'll take that any day of the week.
you've gota keep on keep'n on .........
carey
Coach

Has liked: 2812 times
Been liked: 2999 times
Grassroots Team: Paralowie

Postby NO-MERCY » Sat May 10, 2014 6:19 pm

Gotta get Lobbe back ASAP as Renouf is a dead set dud.
NO-MERCY
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 15 times

Postby Jim05 » Sat May 10, 2014 6:27 pm

NO-MERCY wrote:Gotta get Lobbe back ASAP as Renouf is a dead set dud.

Any co-incidence their best quarter was when he was subbed out?
Masterstroke by Kenny
Jim05
Coach

Postby woodublieve12 » Sun May 11, 2014 11:04 am

Wowwee!! Just looked at ports draw, if they don't finish top it would be massive disapointment... Very helpful draw.
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3039 times
Been liked: 2407 times

Postby Jim05 » Sun May 11, 2014 11:35 am

woodublieve12 wrote:Wowwee!! Just looked at ports draw, if they don't finish top it would be massive disapointment... Very helpful draw.

Wouldnt matter what their draw is, Port are the best side in the comp currently
Jim05
Coach

Postby carey » Sun May 11, 2014 8:04 pm

Jim05 wrote:
woodublieve12 wrote:Wowwee!! Just looked at ports draw, if they don't finish top it would be massive disapointment... Very helpful draw.

No Jimbo ask the Crows supporters were top because of the draw we've got and all the injuries the other teams have :roll:

Apparently the only reason we win....
carey
Coach

Postby woodublieve12 » Sun May 11, 2014 8:13 pm

carey wrote:
Jim05 wrote:

No Jimbo ask the Crows supporters were top because of the draw we've got and all the injuries the other teams have :roll:

Apparently the only reason we win....

I'm not saying the reason you're top because of the draw.. I agree with jim... I just had a look at there draw today, and it's a bloody good draw.

And crow supporters should be banned for having a go at a side regarding a draw
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Postby carey » Sun May 11, 2014 8:18 pm

Nah I didn't think you were mate. I've just heard all afternoon for these crow supporters I was near at my lads footy at Salisbury North today.
carey
Coach

Postby jackpot jim » Sun May 11, 2014 8:23 pm

How have they a helpful draw compared to others?
At the start of the season it appeared to be a very tough draw for them. Looking at the 1st 9 rounds b4 round 1 these would have been the common predictions by most.
Rd 1 Carlton - Loss
Rd 2 Adelaide - 50/50
Rd 3 Kangaroos - Loss
Rd 4 Brisbane - Win
Rd 5 - West Coast - Loss
Rd 6 - Geelong - Loss
Rd 7 - GWS - Win
Rd8 - Fremantle - Loss maybe 50/50
Rd 9 - Hawthorn - Loss

So with that most would have been thinking Port may have been about 3 and 6 or 4 and 5 after 9 rounds. If that was the case, their future draw wouldn't look as easy. That fact that they are up and running and have had some upset wins to be 7 and 1, of course the draw then looks a lot easier as they'd expect to start favorite in a majority of those games. To call it a "helpful draw" is a bit off the mark i think.
jackpot jim
Coach

Has liked: 341 times
Been liked: 453 times

Postby carey » Sun May 11, 2014 8:25 pm

Very good point Jackpot but in fairness to Wood12 I believe he meant from here on in.

Saying that I haven't actually seen the draw from here on in.
carey
Coach

Postby valleys07 » Sun May 11, 2014 9:19 pm

Round 8 Review:

Undermanned or not, Freo are no pushovers. Any side coached by Ross Lyon are so incredibly difficult to counter offensively, that an 18 point victory left me leaving AO with a big smile on my face. I was unsure at 3/4 time that we would get it done. It was one of those annoying games we've seen in times gone by where we through everything at them but just can't get that extra goal we need to gain the momentum. To come out in the last and put on just a huge display of dominant football was incredible.

It was frustrating to watch us not capitalise further on our I50 dominance, but credit where credit is due to fremantle- They just choke your time with the ball, choke your space and you've got to think in a split second what to do. In saying that- it was dissapointing to see us just throw the footy on the boot mindlessly without factoring in freo's 1, maybe 2 extra behind the footy. The number of times I saw Mzungu or Johnson take uncontested marks in our F50 was frustrating. That will imo be Kenny's learning point out of today- patience with the footy in hand heading into the forward arc.

Best players:

Robbie Gray- Cripes he is in amazing form at the moment. His first half i thought Sutcliffe held him really well, but his 2nd half which netted 25 touches (15 in the last qtr), and 6 centre clearances, was faultless. His ability to manage effective disposals whilst being tackled is first rate, and his core strength and balance continues to amaze. His shimmy on the outer wing and delivery to Wingard was the clincher.

Jarman Impey- Ballantyne, despite his criticism and hatred within the fan circles, is no slouch. Freo are at their best when Walters and Balla run amok in their 50, and whilst Walters was missing, I felt this was a matchup we had to win to be a chance. 9 touches and 0.1 tells a significant story- Impey only had 10 himself, which still leaves plenty of room for offensive development, in particular disposal efficiency, but his pace and closing speed, complete with a little bit of mongrel, leaves me very confident he has a bright future at PAFC. Some fans on other forums were calling for his ommission- he isnt going anywhere.

Jackson Trengove- Broke even for the 1st 3 quarters I felt, with Zac Clarke getting the better of him in a few contests where Clarke was able to exploit his height advantage, but that last quarter! Was the reason we won the game imo, thanks to a 6-0 centre clearance count whilst he was rucking in the last term. Literally monstered Sandi (is that even possible?) and oozes leadership in the clutch moments. Pure Port Adelaide.

Chad Wingard- Its hard not to have movement in the trousers when this kid gets going, and I ask posters to find me a better first 50 games. I felt confident going into the game that one of Gus, Chad or Rob got going and that is exactly how it eventuated. His 3rd quarter was electric and deserved 7 straight. Cat like when the ball hits the deck, and can seriously leap, he has all the tricks. 18 goals from 8 games leaves him on track for 40+ and another AA selection is not out of the question.

Travis Boak- His duel with Crowley was always going to be an intriguing one, and 28 touches is a fair day out for the port skipper. With Gray, Wines and Polec taking care of the centre clearances (6 a piece), Boak needed to be damaging on the outside and i thought he was, setting up numerous attacking forays with link up handball.

Is it time to believe the hype- will a win against Hawthorn allow us to justify? Not sure, but one thing is for sure- this group is heading places, im sure of that. Its hopefully not a matter of if, but when.
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 768 times
Been liked: 1174 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby woodublieve12 » Sun May 11, 2014 10:25 pm

carey wrote:Very good point Jackpot but in fairness to Wood12 I believe he meant from here on in.

Spot on...
woodublieve12
Coach

Postby Booney » Mon May 12, 2014 10:42 am

woodublieve12 wrote:
carey wrote:Very good point Jackpot but in fairness to Wood12 I believe he meant from here on in.

Spot on...

With Hawthorn then Melbourne, St.Kilda and Sydney to come, by round 13 we'll have played last years top 4, West Coast, North Melbourne, Adelaide and Carlton.

That's not the hardest, but by no means the easiest draw possible either.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7536 times
Been liked: 10851 times

Postby bennymacca » Mon May 12, 2014 11:01 am

obviously you could adjust the relative toughness of the draw due to the fact that some teams have significantly improved or worsened from last year, but here is the draw "toughness" based on last year's ladder positions.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-11-01/t ... 14-fixture

Shows that Port have the 10th hardest draw.

What is interesting is that Richmond apparently have the easiest draw in the comp, and they are still struggling. (also shows the perception of the crows having an easy draw is true too)
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Booney » Mon May 12, 2014 11:06 am

bennymacca wrote:obviously you could adjust the relative toughness of the draw due to the fact that some teams have significantly improved or worsened from last year, but here is the draw "toughness" based on last year's ladder positions.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-11-01/t ... 14-fixture

Shows that Port have the 10th hardest draw.

What is interesting is that Richmond apparently have the easiest draw in the comp, and they are still struggling. (also shows the perception of the crows having an easy draw is true too)

Excellent link Benny.

Very interesting reading. =D>
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7536 times
Been liked: 10851 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL