Open Mike

Talk on the national game

Re: Open Mike

Postby Booney » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:02 pm

Bum Crack wrote:
bennymacca wrote:It was amazing to think he has 220 goals in his first 50 games of footy, and when he kicked 129 in 1993 that was his second year of footy!

He was leading goalkicker for Renmark in 1990. Three years later, he's leading golakicker for the AFL. Amazing He was a dead set freak.

Had a bit to do with him when he first came down to Westies, played the year there and joined our cricket club who have had a long association with Westies footballers. He could hit a ball and bowled a reasonable clip off a few steps, clearly was just an all round talent on the sporting field(s).

This, mind you, was before he shot to fame at AFL level and the scrutiny that came with it so he was enjoying his off field time as much as he was on field with Westies. ;) We went on a winery tour with the cricket club around the Xmas break, plenty of stories from the day.

One highlight and recently revisited memory from the day was a mate calling Mods "Wax Head" all day. I've revisited that story a few times, sadly the mate I'm referring to passed away back in February after an all too brief battle with cancer.

Can still see the big guy sitting on a bar stool at the Hilton on South Road (when it was strippers and $2 schooners) and saying "Oi, Wax Head, fancy me kicking your ******* arse on the pool table?".....and then all in one motion as he goes to do up his shoe lace, he brings his foot up while sitting on the stool and his upper body moved the same amount as hit foot *BANG* flat on his back.

:lol:

RIP Wilson.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7519 times
Been liked: 10818 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:15 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:
@bumcrack, probably, and @ronburgundy, maybe, will be able to tell you more. But from the stories I've heard, Tony and Rick, the brother you're probably referring to, were different players. Rick was fearsome and brutal - a man you did not f*** with. He was massive, a man mountain. There was also another brother, Kym, who was apparently very talented. I think they all played rep footy together - the stories are legendary. Tony, from my understanding, was the youngest.
I think all three played at Renmark in a flag year, which was a drawn grand final. Rick missed one of the matches. My memories a bit fuzzy on this - BC will definitely know.

Yeah, I was referring to Rick.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4348 times
Been liked: 7942 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:54 pm

Booney wrote:
Bum Crack wrote:
bennymacca wrote:It was amazing to think he has 220 goals in his first 50 games of footy, and when he kicked 129 in 1993 that was his second year of footy!

He was leading goalkicker for Renmark in 1990. Three years later, he's leading golakicker for the AFL. Amazing He was a dead set freak.

Had a bit to do with him when he first came down to Westies, played the year there and joined our cricket club who have had a long association with Westies footballers. He could hit a ball and bowled a reasonable clip off a few steps, clearly was just an all round talent on the sporting field(s).

This, mind you, was before he shot to fame at AFL level and the scrutiny that came with it so he was enjoying his off field time as much as he was on field with Westies. ;) We went on a winery tour with the cricket club around the Xmas break, plenty of stories from the day.

One highlight and recently revisited memory from the day was a mate calling Mods "Wax Head" all day. I've revisited that story a few times, sadly the mate I'm referring to passed away back in February after an all too brief battle with cancer.

Can still see the big guy sitting on a bar stool at the Hilton on South Road (when it was strippers and $2 schooners) and saying "Oi, Wax Head, fancy me kicking your ******* arse on the pool table?".....and then all in one motion as he goes to do up his shoe lace, he brings his foot up while sitting on the stool and his upper body moved the same amount as hit foot *BANG* flat on his back.

:lol:

RIP Wilson.

He was a very handy cricketer with the Loxton Cricket Club. He played in senior ranks with another very talented young player named Michael Gutsche, who should have done lots more as a footballer, and I know that they very much enjoyed their social life.
Apparently, a few of the teachers at Loxton High used to cringe whenever he was mentioned as being a star and a role model, they well remembered his time at the school - where he still holds some athletic records.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Bum Crack » Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:46 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Dogwatcher wrote:
@bumcrack, probably, and @ronburgundy, maybe, will be able to tell you more. But from the stories I've heard, Tony and Rick, the brother you're probably referring to, were different players. Rick was fearsome and brutal - a man you did not f*** with. He was massive, a man mountain. There was also another brother, Kym, who was apparently very talented. I think they all played rep footy together - the stories are legendary. Tony, from my understanding, was the youngest.
I think all three played at Renmark in a flag year, which was a drawn grand final. Rick missed one of the matches. My memories a bit fuzzy on this - BC will definitely know.

Yeah, I was referring to Rick.

Rick was a very good full forward but he had nothing on Mods.
So you've seen everything have you?
Yep
Have you ever seen a man eat his own head?
No
Well you haven't seen everything then have you.
Bum Crack
Coach

Has liked: 321 times
Been liked: 894 times
Grassroots Team: Berri

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:28 am

Bum Crack wrote:Rick was a very good full forward but he had nothing on Mods.

OK, Dogleg used to rave about him, probably moreso about how much of a hard nut he was.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Bum Crack » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:34 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Bum Crack wrote:Rick was a very good full forward but he had nothing on Mods.

OK, Dogleg used to rave about him, probably moreso about how much of a hard nut he was.

He was as mad as they get. Man mountain and someone you didn't mess with.
So you've seen everything have you?
Yep
Have you ever seen a man eat his own head?
No
Well you haven't seen everything then have you.
Bum Crack
Coach

Has liked: 321 times
Been liked: 894 times
Grassroots Team: Berri

Postby bennymacca » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:24 pm

Billy brownless was quite interesting, especially the story he told about blighty turning the light off in the meeting room haha.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Jim05 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:28 pm

When Billy isnt being a goose he is quite good to listen to
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3562 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby bennymacca » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:34 pm

It was interesting how well he knew his place, (in the media that is) if that makes sense.

Also when he said he probably could have been a better husband and father because you can easily get self absorbed in the media. Made me instantly think of the Phil Walsh comments along the same lines.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby heater31 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:45 pm

bennymacca wrote:It was interesting how well he knew his place, (in the media that is) if that makes sense.

Also when he said he probably could have been a better husband and father because you can easily get self absorbed in the media. Made me instantly think of the Phil Walsh comments along the same lines.

Have heard Bill speak at a sportsmans night and that was a major reason why the wheel on the footy show was phased out. Some weeks he would leave on a Tuesday night and not get back until Saturday morning then had Saturday football commitments followed by Sunday ones. Of course he would get pissed each Thursday night at which ever club he was at.

Still laugh at him when at the same night he read out the winners of silent auction items but when the name was read out and they revealed themselves (I was one of them) he would look them in the eye then promptly announce that it was too cheap and launch into auctioneer mode [emoji38]
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1265 times

Postby woodublieve12 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:56 am

I thought Dale Lewis was really good... Wish there was more football talk though
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3034 times
Been liked: 2406 times

Postby wristwatcher » Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:30 pm

Gerard Nesham....12 minutes in - Seinfeld reruns
The PNU Falcs 2005,06,13 x 2,14 and Div 1 Premiers in 2019......The SA 3peat - 2003,04,05
wristwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 851 times

Postby daysofourlives » Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:03 pm

wristwatcher wrote:Gerard Nesham....12 minutes in - Seinfeld reruns

Everybody Loves Raymond here after the intro
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2425 times
Been liked: 1664 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:18 am

Must be running out of candidates.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Footy Smart » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:26 am

I didnt mind it, I had no idea about his playing/coaching background and its fantastic the work he is doing with Aboriginal communities in regards to education and using football as a tool to encourage attendance and retention.
Footy Smart
Coach

Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 118 times
Grassroots Team: Modbury

Postby Corona Man » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:43 am

Footy Smart wrote:I didnt mind it, I had no idea about his playing/coaching background and its fantastic the work he is doing with Aboriginal communities in regards to education and using football as a tool to encourage attendance and retention.

Couldn't agree more!
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1281 times
Been liked: 3494 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby Dogwatcher » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:52 am

One of the architects of modern footy.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby am Bays » Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:30 am

One of the better ones IMO last night

Certainly beats the run of the mill I drank beers, had a few fights, won a TV set off Lou Richards and played VFL footy but did F*** ALL really
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 1830 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:04 pm

am Bays wrote:One of the better ones IMO last night

Certainly beats the run of the mill I drank beers, had a few fights, won a TV set off Lou Richards and played VFL footy but did F*** ALL really

That's what I wanna hear, I want stories of the kid down the road that wasn't blessed with skills but worked hard and made it to the top, got involved in headlines and made some mistakes. I like hearing behind the scenes stuff.
Admittedly, I'm not much of a Lewy fan so I didn't watch him, same as Neesham, I have found though some of the shows that they've played where I didn't know much about the player I've quite enjoyed, the drug taking pisstank from Richmond I think it was I thoroughly enjoyed.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby JK » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:23 am

Whilst he's not a household name, I thought this week's episode with Bluey McGrath was pretty good .. Seems like a good bloke.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4465 times
Been liked: 2992 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL