Open Mike

Talk on the national game

Re: Open Mike

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:55 pm

CoverKing wrote:LM I think the main reason for that is cause he is involved in the game still and at another AFL club. It would be good to get those not involved in the game anymore so they can answer everything honestly and hopefully give a greater insight

And he seem's to be a man of great integrity, he obviously prospered out of the "under the table" dealings so he chooses to let bygones be bygones.

Partners on payrolls.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4348 times
Been liked: 7942 times

Postby JK » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:00 pm

I've always been a big fan of SOS and still am, but when I saw he was the guest on OM I thought he's probably too nice a bloke for this to be interesting .. But it was again another good interview.

SOS looked a little under pressure at times, and as LM said clearly didn't want to address some of the questions in any skerrick of detail .. To his credit Sheahan didn't let him off the hook easily.

Was great also to see some of the vision from his playing days, what a fantastic player he was!!
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4465 times
Been liked: 2992 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby GWW » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:54 pm

Not OPEN MIKE, but still Mike Sheahan, on ON THE COUCH at the moment.

Speaking to Brock McLean, and interestingly mentions one of the reasons he left the Demons was that his perception that they were not trying 100%.

Amazing, totally amazing, that the AFL administration is the only body that can't see what was happening over the last decade %-( ^#(^ x_x
GWW

Has liked: 816 times
Been liked: 166 times

Postby Squids » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:57 pm

bit ironic that he went to Carlton :lol:
Squids
Coach

Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 205 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby valleys07 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:08 am

Squids wrote:bit ironic that he went to Carlton :lol:

:lol:
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 768 times
Been liked: 1171 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby dee man » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:45 pm

again on the couch and open mike were great
kevin sheedy was excellent and cant wait to see the extended version
brock was extremely impressive with his blunt and truthful answer to questions
he reminded me so much of his uncle who not only was a tough,straight shooter but a great bloke
i was lucky enough to spend time with ricky at werribee in my time with that club and not only did he have a great footy brain that alot of people would not have thought so but he was a great teacher of life and respect and i could clearly see that in brock
hope they replay all the open mike at end of season,best footy show on tv
we stand as one
we fight as one
we win and lose as one
we are one
dee man
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 8 times

Postby GWW » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:41 pm

Just watching the Kevin Sheedy interview that initially aired a little while ago.

Sheedy has irritated me at various times over the years, but he's never dull, and he is very good to listen to, a lot of what he says is quite insightful and even a touch controversial.
GWW

Has liked: 816 times
Been liked: 166 times

Postby stampy » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:23 pm

dee man wrote:again on the couch and open mike were great
he reminded me so much of his uncle who not only was a tough,straight shooter but a great bloke
i was lucky enough to spend time with ricky at werribee in my time with that club and not only did he have a great footy brain that alot of people would not have thought so but he was a great teacher of life and respect and i could clearly see that in brock

what a magnificent post

well said dee man
Go The Tiges!!!
stampy
Coach

Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 335 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby valleys07 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:31 pm

I enjoyed his interview last night with Warren Tredrea. Focused early on with his struggles in gaining respect from John Cahill and was ready to walk out. I was aware of his request to be traded to Carlton, but also disclosed his meetings with Eddie and Collingwood and even met with Sydney.

He was pretty receptive to mike's questions regarding his celebrations after kicking a goal, even making a few jokes here and there. Also opened up about his internal battles post the 2004 premiership with not being given the captaincy, his knee issues and some personal issues (his wife was going through IVF).

Very good interview i thought, and its a show im beginning to watch religiously!
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

valleys07
Coach

Postby gadj1976 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:45 pm

Have you ever watched Eddie McGuire interview anyone dee man? Watch him interview someone and you'll have a new respect for Mike Sheehan. He actually asks questions and lets the interviewee speak, after all it is the person we're wanting to hear from isn't it? Eddie talks over them, cuts them off and changes tack every 5 seconds.

This is the best Q&A type football show going around and from the ones I've seen I am enjoying them greatly. Neil Balme's was my favourite so far, closely followed by Blighty and Sam Newman. BUT I'm yet to see the full one hour versions of any of them yet. I see the half hour ones and feel like it's a trailer into the full movie.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 796 times
Been liked: 850 times

Postby JK » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:54 pm

gadj1976 wrote:

Have you ever watched Eddie McGuire interview anyone dee man? Watch him interview someone and you'll have a new respect for Mike Sheehan. He actually asks questions and lets the interviewee speak, after all it is the person we're wanting to hear from isn't it? Eddie talks over them, cuts them off and changes tack every 5 seconds.

This is the best Q&A type football show going around and from the ones I've seen I am enjoying them greatly. Neil Balme's was my favourite so far, closely followed by Blighty and Sam Newman. BUT I'm yet to see the full one hour versions of any of them yet. I see the half hour ones and feel like it's a trailer into the full movie.

Couldn't agree more .. Well said Gadj =D>
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby JK » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:57 pm

valleys07 wrote:I enjoyed his interview last night with Warren Tredrea. Focused early on with his struggles in gaining respect from John Cahill and was ready to walk out. I was aware of his request to be traded to Carlton, but also disclosed his meetings with Eddie and Collingwood and even met with Sydney.

He was pretty receptive to mike's questions regarding his celebrations after kicking a goal, even making a few jokes here and there. Also opened up about his internal battles post the 2004 premiership with not being given the captaincy, his knee issues and some personal issues (his wife was going through IVF).

Very good interview i thought, and its a show im beginning to watch religiously!

I enjoyed it too mate, and Tredders came across as being pretty open and honest.

One key thing he opined about, that I have to agree with, is that as a state (of footyheads) SA has become lazy!

I understand all teams attendances will be down when they struggle, the economy is tight for most, and there's so many options for entertainment available .. But my personal belief is that there's a large degree of that laziness he spoke of, at play.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby overloaded » Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:08 pm

All respect lost Tredders, keep ya trap shut

Thats what we do at Port
therealROSSCO wrote:Now listen to this loud and clear.....

I have not been approached to coach at the WFC this year, next year or any year. I have not approached the WFC to coach this year, next year or any year. This is an unconditional statement.
overloaded
2009 Punting Comp Winner

Been liked: 0 time

Postby valleys07 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:13 pm

JK wrote:One key thing he opined about, that I have to agree with, is that as a state (of footyheads) SA has become lazy!

I understand all teams attendances will be down when they struggle, the economy is tight for most, and there's so many options for entertainment available .. But my personal belief is that there's a large degree of that laziness he spoke of, at play.

Agree JK, especially with the difference between adelaide fans and melbourne fans. He is right though, with FTA and Fox, who would want to leave home?

valleys07
Coach

Postby dee man » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:51 am

gadj1976 wrote:

i hope i havent read you wrong mate but thats what i am saying,the best show on tv
i have seen eddie and agree with you 100%

mike is a journalist from the old school who doesnt have any real favs that he makes look great like eddie
just reports the facts
having played for the same club as mike,who was a good average footballer,he always knew the game really well and always seemed to know what was going on
when the wayne carey saga happened he was the only one that i really read because he kept it to facts,peoples emotions and feelings and didnt get personal
we stand as one
we fight as one
we win and lose as one
we are one
dee man
League Bench Warmer

Been liked: 8 times

Postby CUTTERMAN » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:27 am

JK wrote:
valleys07 wrote:I enjoyed his interview last night with Warren Tredrea. Focused early on with his struggles in gaining respect from John Cahill and was ready to walk out. I was aware of his request to be traded to Carlton, but also disclosed his meetings with Eddie and Collingwood and even met with Sydney.

I enjoyed it too mate, and Tredders came across as being pretty open and honest.

One key thing he opined about, that I have to agree with, is that as a state (of footyheads) SA has become lazy!

I'd agree with this also but I think attendences are down overall. If you could take away the manipulated draw that's been around for a few years now and compare it to attendences from the late 90's and early 2000's I think you'd find that it's down throughout the league. The effect of Fox, better viewing possibilities at home, a higher cost of living and higher cost of going to the footy itself all are factors. I'm amazed that Demitriou didn't cut the price of tickets after the last TV rights deal and when dealing with the PA wanting more of a cut from the deal.....he could've just said "Players aren't getting more money because we're cutting the cost of tickets to give something back to the fans", it would've stopped the PA's argument dead.
'PAFC don't want any advantages in the SANFL. It would only take away from any achievements we earned.'
Keith Thomas ABC 891 Radio, 21/6/14.
CUTTERMAN
League - Top 5

Has liked: 213 times
Been liked: 124 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:43 am

overloaded wrote:All respect lost Tredders, keep ya trap shut

Thats what we do at Port

We wish you would.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4348 times
Been liked: 7942 times

Postby Cash 123 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:23 am

overloaded wrote:All respect lost Tredders, keep ya trap shut

Thats what we do at Port

You do nothing at port but have the name under your profile has who you follow clown
Cash 123
Under 18s

Been liked: 22 times

Postby Mr66 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:13 pm

Did anyone latch on to Sheedy's statement about nearly joining
Centrals in the early 70s?
If one person does it, it's insanity. If millions do it, it's religion.

http://www.beyondblue.org.au
Mr66
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 12 times

Postby tigerpie » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:33 am

Fabulous Phil was interesting. Norwood far more professional than Collingwood, and that the standard wasnt what he expected!
And that his best footy moment was Sturts first victory after a whole bunch of crappy years in a row.
Stick that up ya a*** VFL/AFL.

Different cat Phil, but he sure could play.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 505 times
Been liked: 432 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL