Round 14's PESTIFEROUS LOGORRHOEA

Talk on the national game

Re: Round 14's PESTIFEROUS LOGORRHOEA

Postby woodublieve12 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:52 pm

Spargo wrote:Outplayed most of the night but still only a goal down at 3qt.
Simply ran out legs which was no surprise in the last.
Adelaide move the ball very well.

Whys that?
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3039 times
Been liked: 2407 times

Postby Spargo » Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:59 pm

woodublieve12 wrote:

Whys that?

Worst training regime in the league.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5569 times
Been liked: 5189 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby helicopterking » Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:12 am

Spargo wrote:
woodublieve12 wrote:

Whys that?

Worst training regime in the league.

WTF. Is that an excuse?
helicopterking
Coach

Has liked: 298 times
Been liked: 671 times

Postby Spargo » Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:22 am

Taking the piss mate.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5569 times
Been liked: 5189 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Bum Crack » Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:47 am

Well that's 3 losses in a row for North. 3 more to go to make it 6 in a row and find themselves at 7 or 8 after minor round. May win first final but nothing after that. Average team who has had an easy draw and starting to get found out. Always on the cards. And no, i don't dislike north Melbourne, they're just shit.
So you've seen everything have you?
Yep
Have you ever seen a man eat his own head?
No
Well you haven't seen everything then have you.
Bum Crack
Coach

Has liked: 321 times
Been liked: 896 times
Grassroots Team: Berri

Postby Bum Crack » Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:52 am

MW wrote:what a scoreline....and what to take away from tonights game.
that many scoring shots is a good thing I guess, but some of those missed goals...wow. For those that went, was it blustery? They had no idea how to convert.
Another solid last quarter to put away some quality opposition, despite what Bruce and co were trying to make everyone believe.

They're not quality opposition. FFS!!!!
So you've seen everything have you?
Yep
Have you ever seen a man eat his own head?
No
Well you haven't seen everything then have you.
Bum Crack
Coach

Has liked: 321 times
Been liked: 896 times
Grassroots Team: Berri

Postby Booney » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:14 am

Bum Crack wrote:Well that's 3 losses in a row for North. 3 more to go to make it 6 in a row and find themselves at 7 or 8 after minor round. May win first final but nothing after that. Average team who has had an easy draw and starting to get found out. Always on the cards. And no, i don't dislike north Melbourne, they're just shit.

With North and the Eagles looking shaking the losses to Carlton and ******* Fremantle are going to ******* haunt me all ******* summer.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7536 times
Been liked: 10848 times

Postby valleys07 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:58 am

Booney wrote:
Bum Crack wrote:Well that's 3 losses in a row for North. 3 more to go to make it 6 in a row and find themselves at 7 or 8 after minor round. May win first final but nothing after that. Average team who has had an easy draw and starting to get found out. Always on the cards. And no, i don't dislike north Melbourne, they're just shit.

With North and the Eagles looking shaking the losses to Carlton and ******* Fremantle are going to ******* haunt me all ******* summer.

Whilst at the start of the year, it was widely agreed that Port simply should have played finals with our draw. You have (rightfully) gone on record saying that Ryder's suspension all but snuffed a top 4 chance, and this seasons results (particularly the aforementioned) have shown the fans exactly where this group is at. We are a few players short all over the field, and the group is mentally weak.

Looking long term, i'd rather these sorts of results occur rather than us sneak into the 8 on the back of others slipping up. I don't want to see Port wallow forever in that 6-12 range. Make some tough calls regarding list management, hit the draft hard and inject some youth into the list. A mini re-build if you will.
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 768 times
Been liked: 1174 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Brodlach » Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:03 am

I know it is hard to predict but with Ryder and Monfries in the team do you still think they would be a top 4 team with what they have shown so far?Without the suspensions who knows if round one Ryder does an ACL
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4217 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby woodublieve12 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:07 am

Ryder isn't THAT good... Port have a decent list and with that list should be to 8 but it just looks like their game plan hasn't evolved since 2014.
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3039 times
Been liked: 2407 times

Postby Booney » Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:08 am

Brodlach wrote:I know it is hard to predict but with Ryder and Monfries in the team do you still think they would be a top 4 team with what they have shown so far?Without the suspensions who knows if round one Ryder does an ACL

Ryder would have made a huge difference, without question. Top 4? Probably not if you take the Schulz, Wingard, Gray, Hombsch and Jonas missed matches along with Carlile not really being sighted.

Monfries? Probably would have meant Young or Neade would be out of the side, most likely Young and we wouldn't have seen what he has shown us, then again Monfries may have as many majors as Young by now so no win, no loss in that hypothetical.

And yes, "Carlile isn't in your best 18" will get thrown around, maybe he is, maybe he isn't, but if he and Trengove are back then Hombsch, Jonas and Stewart aren't having to play as key defenders.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:16 am

Freo just shortened into equal favs....
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11981 times
Been liked: 3658 times

Postby valleys07 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:16 am

woodublieve12 wrote:Ryder isn't THAT good... Port have a decent list and with that list should be to 8 but it just looks like their game plan hasn't evolved since 2014.

It's obvious that we lack a quality Ruckman. Whilst Ryder isn't anywhere near the competitions elite- he is more than serviceable in giving our midfielders first use, and can also drift forward.

I was one who had confidence in the fact 2015 was an off year, and was convinced we were a 5-8 side without Paddy. Yes- injuries haven't been kind to us this year, but we cannot hide from the fact we are still a key forward short (Schulz retiring and Westhoff just far too inconsistent), we are a couple of midfielders short (both inside and outside), and we are a key defender short.
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 768 times
Been liked: 1174 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Brodlach » Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:17 am

I keep hearing injuries but other teams have a far worse injury list. Depth is the concern and that's because Port keep trading their early picks for established players with a little past history (not saying they have done bad things) for being lazy or whatever rather than putting in the hard work of developing a youngster which recently they don't have a great record of.

Not trolling Booney just a conversation I had with a die hard Port supporter yesterday
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:24 am

woodublieve12 wrote:it just looks like their game plan hasn't evolved since 2014.

this is an interesting point. Their gameplan was pretty new back then and opposition teams didnt really know how to deal with it. Extremely quick ball movement has become the norm these days, and more importantly the defensive structures to counter this have improved a lot.

dont watch port as closely as some but it seems like their defensive structures might not be top 8 standard just yet?
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Booney » Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:30 am

Brodlach wrote:I keep hearing injuries but other teams have a far worse injury list. Depth is the concern and that's because Port keep trading their early picks for established players with a little past history (not saying they have done bad things) for being lazy or whatever rather than putting in the hard work of developing a youngster which recently they don't have a great record of.

Not trolling Booney just a conversation I had with a die hard Port supporter yesterday

Agreed, we have given up early picks, but would you question trading for Ryder and Dixon? At this point, no, you wouldn't. Our investment in Ryder is on hold and Dixon is showing he's been worth the investment in him.

Yes, depth is an issue, most clubs in the middle of the table will find depth an issue if it's your #1 and #2 ruckman, full forward and full back on the injury list. It's not just the number of injuries it's the positions they play that has hurt us the most.

On developing youngsters, we haven't needed to blood too many kids because we don't have many on our list over 26. The core group is around the 25-27 age bracket with several in the 23-25 bracket, not like you need to turn over quickly with that age profile, so trading for big names is possible when you have a core that has 5-7 years in front of them.

We'll be back in the draft this year and next. If we trade it will be players for picks only.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Booney » Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:31 am

bennymacca wrote:
woodublieve12 wrote:it just looks like their game plan hasn't evolved since 2014.

this is an interesting point. Their gameplan was pretty new back then and opposition teams didnt really know how to deal with it. Extremely quick ball movement has become the norm these days, and more importantly the defensive structures to counter this have improved a lot.

dont watch port as closely as some but it seems like their defensive structures might not be top 8 standard just yet?

It's all about the midfield's willingness to work and ours needs to be paraded in front of some articulate members and be asked some direct questions.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:48 am

Crows too good last night but thought our boys fought it out well after a very poor first quarter, we dominated the 2nd quarter and gave ourselves a big chance kicking to the scoring end in the last but Crows legs predictably took over. Missed the outside run of Wells big time, our inside game was great. Mason Wood and McKenzie look like 200 gamers and have really come on this season.

While we are losing at the moment, the draw hasn't been kind but we are still going OK I reckon, need the bye and can still have a good influence in the 2nd half I reckon.

Crows were quite impressive, but have the luxury of having their best 22 out there which is gold in mid winter.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2350 times
Been liked: 3624 times

Postby Mr Beefy » Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:12 pm

Dutchy wrote:Crows too good last night but thought our boys fought it out well after a very poor first quarter, we dominated the 2nd quarter and gave ourselves a big chance kicking to the scoring end in the last but Crows legs predictably took over. Missed the outside run of Wells big time, our inside game was great. Mason Wood and McKenzie look like 200 gamers and have really come on this season.

While we are losing at the moment, the draw hasn't been kind but we are still going OK I reckon, need the bye and can still have a good influence in the 2nd half I reckon.

Crows were quite impressive, but have the luxury of having their best 22 out there which is gold in mid winter.

It's "golder" come finals!
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 407 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby Brodlach » Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:21 pm

Booney wrote:
Brodlach wrote:I keep hearing injuries but other teams have a far worse injury list. Depth is the concern and that's because Port keep trading their early picks for established players with a little past history (not saying they have done bad things) for being lazy or whatever rather than putting in the hard work of developing a youngster which recently they don't have a great record of.

Agreed, we have given up early picks, but would you question trading for Ryder and Dixon? At this point, no, you wouldn't. Our investment in Ryder is on hold and Dixon is showing he's been worth the investment in him.

Yes, depth is an issue, most clubs in the middle of the table will find depth an issue if it's your #1 and #2 ruckman, full forward and full back on the injury list. It's not just the number of injuries it's the positions they play that has hurt us the most.

On developing youngsters, we
haven't needed to blood too many kids because we don't have many on our list over 26. The core group is around the 25-27 age bracket with several in the 23-25 bracket, not like you need to turn over quickly with that age profile, so trading for big names is possible when you have a core that has 5-7 years in front of them.

We'll be back in the draft this year and next. If we trade it will be players for picks only.

Tough on Dixon as it is early. Polec, Toumpas and White all came with ???? over their heads. Couple of them have played good footy at times but do go missing a lot. To have Butcher, Mitchell and too a lesser extent Carlise who looked a bit cooked last year still on your list amazes me when a kid could be developed.
Adelaide have a couple in the same boat but they do seem to develop kids a little more often. Fox Footy had a picture of where the Crows players had come from, no top 10 drafted kids but lots of lower picks and rookies. There were traded players too
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL