Week 1, 2015 AFL Finals Series

Talk on the national game

Re: Week 1, 2015 AFL Finals Series

Postby am Bays » Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:31 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
MW wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:
Just don't get to hear it in September!

I seen a meme saying that since 1982 Fitzroy have won more finals than Richmond.

It was on Facebook so it must be true.

it's false

They've won the same amount of finals since 1982

Fitzroy the Elimination and 1st Semi of 1986 (Essendon and Sydney)

Richmond the 1st Semi Final of 1995 (Essendon) and 2001 (Carlton).
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 1815 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:35 pm

am Bays wrote:
it's false

They've won the same amount of finals since 1982

Fitzroy the Elimination and 1st Semi of 1986 (Essendon and Sydney)

Richmond the 1st Semi Final of 1995 (Essendon) and 2001 (Carlton).

Damn.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4347 times
Been liked: 7936 times

Postby David Brent » Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:59 pm

Booney wrote:
stan wrote:
Although Grigg has been servicable at the very least I agree with your point. They are mid tier type players and not guys who will get them to the next level.

They're the type of players someone trying to stay at the top could use or someone like GWS who has the talent in the squad but just needs to target recruit a position player. Houli, for instance, would be much more useful to GWS than Richmond. Reasonable AFL players who can add depth to the list and play a role from time to time when needed with injuries to the top players in the group. They are not players to build a premiership side around.

As a Tigs supporter I think Houli has been more than serviceable for us. Cops some unfair criticism at times now & again. The others could be put into that category but Maric has been serviceable & our best ruck for 10 years (which Sums up our club). All clubs have these players though & you guys recruited one of our plonkers in Matty White who dropped back to his normal standards this year after a one off good season.

I'd like to see us get Adcock if we can get him in the pre season draft. 4 retirements already we can afford to get one more older player on our list. McBean must play before Griffths every game next year as our third tall forward.
If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation.
David Brent
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 98 times
Been liked: 161 times

Postby Spargo » Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:11 pm

Lindsay Thomas offered $1500 ($1000 with a guilty plea) after being reported for misconduct.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5498 times
Been liked: 5137 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Booney » Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:19 pm

David Brent wrote:
Booney wrote:
stan wrote:
Although Grigg has been servicable at the very least I agree with your point. They are mid tier type players and not guys who will get them to the next level.

They're the type of players someone trying to stay at the top could use or someone like GWS who has the talent in the squad but just needs to target recruit a position player. Houli, for instance, would be much more useful to GWS than Richmond. Reasonable AFL players who can add depth to the list and play a role from time to time when needed with injuries to the top players in the group. They are not players to build a premiership side around.

As a Tigs supporter I think Houli has been more than serviceable for us. Cops some unfair criticism at times now & again. The others could be put into that category but Maric has been serviceable & our best ruck for 10 years (which Sums up our club). All clubs have these players though & you guys recruited one of our plonkers in Matty White who dropped back to his normal standards this year after a one off good season.

I'd like to see us get Adcock if we can get him in the pre season draft. 4 retirements already we can afford to get one more older player on our list. McBean must play before Griffths every game next year as our third tall forward.

This is true, but it doesn't seem as though the recruiting staff have learnt from the last couple of years. You can't keep taking average players from average sides and think your average side is going to get better.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7503 times
Been liked: 10795 times

Postby David Brent » Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:47 pm

Booney wrote:
David Brent wrote:
Booney wrote:
stan wrote:

This is true, but it doesn't seem as though the recruiting staff have learnt from the last couple of years. You can't keep taking average players from average sides and think your average side is going to get better.

Agreed although some of these average players helped us improve form basket case to average. We now need to bring in top end talent, Trelor would have been perfect for us or Armitage who we went after last year. Just got to land one. Happy with our first round draft picks over the last 7 years or so finally got them right!
If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation.
David Brent
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 98 times
Been liked: 161 times

Postby MW » Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:10 pm

MW
Coach

Has liked: 2617 times
Been liked: 1856 times

Postby bennymacca » Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:49 pm

They are basically the same excuses that get trotted out by Melbourne every year.

Of course Richmond have had a decent season - but they only just missed out on a top 4 place, so to not win a final for the third year in a row is really not good enough.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Previous

Board index   Football  AFL