2017 Ladder predictions

Talk on the national game

Re: 2017 Ladder predictions

Postby valleys07 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:40 pm

Brodlach wrote:
valleys07 wrote:
JK wrote:There's that unexpected bolter every season, and Im beginning to wonder if it might be Gold Coast this year. Not to win the flag or anything, but near or in the 8 maybe?

I am starting to think that the Saints could be the bolter into the top 4 from outside of the 8.

Roo is looking as fit as he has ever been, and Bruce, Membrey and McCartin look to be developing nicely.

I like their mids. I rate Tom Hickey and think he is set for a big season. Steven, Armitage & Montagna are proven accumulators. Ross & Dunstan are developing into solid B grade mids, and they have some silk in Billings to rotate through there, who i think is ready to go bang this season.

Their key posts down back look a bit thin, which might be their undoing against the pacesetters. Carlisle will be a good inclusion, but they do lack a 2nd genuine tall.

I think Freo will be the side that could return to the 8 in 2017 from the bottom half, along with Port.

I was agreeing with everything until you said this

:lol:

I just re-read the post. It should have read "I think Freo could return to the 8 in 2017 from the bottom half, along with Port".

I think North definitely drop out, and potentially Geelong also, leaving St. Kilda, Melbourne, Freo, Port & Geelong all in contention for the 2 questionable spots in the 8. Port the most likely to miss (can't blame me for trying to be optimistic- lets re-visit that when we are 1-3 haha), St.Kilda should play finals, so Melbourne, Freo and Geelong fighting it out for 8th for mine.
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 768 times
Been liked: 1171 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

2017 Ladder predictions

Postby Jim05 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:43 pm

Can't see the love for Freo, their list is rubbish bar a few. Can't see them rising up the ladder too far at all
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3554 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Booney » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:46 pm

I just can't see Fremantle bouncing back into the 8 as many have predicted. It all starts in the middle and Sandilands, who just turned 34, isn't going to keep up with the premier ruckman of the competition anymore, IMO.

Key defender Johnson is 32 going 33, Zac Dawson is still Zac Dawson and I don't believe Fremantle have the history, pride in their guernsey to bounce back like Essendon may be capable of doing. Still room for tradition and pride in the guernsey and I don't think the purple army truly have that.

I think their forwards and backs are thin and the middle ok to good. 10th at best for mine.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7508 times
Been liked: 10802 times

Postby JK » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:45 pm

I'm in one of those tipping comps at the pub, where you tip the winner of every minor round game for the season. Hardly picked Freo, but picked GC and Port a fair bit more than I thought I would have.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4464 times
Been liked: 2992 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:02 am

Jim05 wrote:Can't see the love for Freo, their list is rubbish bar a few. Can't see them rising up the ladder too far at all

Their list hasn't changed too much since their Grand Final year, they have arguably the best player in the AFL to add to last years squad and Harley Bennell can get rid of the distractions in his life he could be anything.

Additions to 2016:
Nat Fyfe
Harley Bennell
Aaron Sandilands
Michael Johnson
Cam McCarthy
Shane Kersten
Joel Hambling

I think they done well by getting game time into their second tier players last season.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4347 times
Been liked: 7937 times

Postby Booney » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:05 am

Additions to 2016:
Nat Fyfe - Top 5 in the comp.
Harley Bennell - Who knows?
Aaron Sandilands - Nearly 34
Michael Johnson - Nearly 33
Cam McCarthy - Who knows?
Shane Kersten - Hahahahahaha
Joel Hambling - Worthy addition

4 wins last year, will these additions win them an extra 10-12 games on top of that to get them into the 8?

For mine, no.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7508 times
Been liked: 10802 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:09 am

Booney wrote:Additions to 2016:

4 wins last year, will these additions win them an extra 10-12 games on top of that to get them into the 8?

For mine, no.

They rorted the system.

I thought Kersten was handy at times, new club could see improvement.

I hear Zac Dawson is looking super fit and is only 47 games away from being able to poll a Brownlow vote.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby whufc » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:44 pm

Booney wrote:I just can't see Fremantle bouncing back into the 8 as many have predicted. It all starts in the middle and Sandilands, who just turned 34, isn't going to keep up with the premier ruckman of the competition anymore, IMO.

Key defender Johnson is 32 going 33, Zac Dawson is still Zac Dawson and I don't believe Fremantle have the history, pride in their guernsey to bounce back like Essendon may be capable of doing. Still room for tradition and pride in the guernsey and I don't think the purple army truly have that.

I think their forwards and backs are thin and the middle ok to good. 10th at best for mine.

Like you said it starts in the middle and while Sandilands won't match these ruckmen around the ground the new 3rd man up rule suits the big unit to an absolute tee

If Sandilands can win 35 plus hitouts a game and Fyfe is back to his ball winning best along side Neale, Suban, Mundy there going to get a lot of quick inside 50's that will suit the mosquito fleet of Ballantyne, Walters, Hill

I don't expect them to make the 8 but wouldn't be surprised to can see them finish anywhere between 7-11
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5602 times
Been liked: 2535 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Jim05 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:55 pm

Jim05 wrote:Can't see the love for Freo, their list is rubbish bar a few. Can't see them rising up the ladder too far at all

And my point still stands. Poor list with a average coach. How scribes have thought that the return of Fyfe would launch them up the ladder has me staggered
Jim05
Coach

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:39 pm

No coach has suffered more from the interchange cap than Ross. It's the best rule I have ever seen introduced. I personally would like it to be seen tightened again. It brings real footballers who position themselves correctly through the game back to the frey.
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 73 times
Been liked: 747 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby Rik E Boy » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:01 am

For mine, no.

Kersten played his best game for Geelong last night.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1698 times
Been liked: 1819 times

Postby Rik E Boy » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:05 am

whufc wrote:
Booney wrote:I just can't see Fremantle bouncing back into the 8 as many have predicted. It all starts in the middle and Sandilands, who just turned 34, isn't going to keep up with the premier ruckman of the competition anymore, IMO.

Like you said it starts in the middle and while Sandilands won't match these ruckmen around the ground the new 3rd man up rule suits the big unit to an absolute tee

If Sandilands can win 35 plus hitouts a game and Fyfe is back to his ball winning best along side Neale, Suban, Mundy there going to get a lot of quick inside 50's that will suit the mosquito fleet of Ballantyne, Walters, Hill

I don't expect them to make the 8 but wouldn't be surprised to can see them finish anywhere between 7-11

Suban is an absolute shit truck and always has been.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1698 times
Been liked: 1819 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:17 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:

For mine, no.

They rorted the system.

I thought Kersten was handy at times, new club could see improvement.

I hear Zac Dawson is looking super fit and is only 47 games away from being able to poll a Brownlow vote.

I am hanging my head in shame, how dare I try to find a positive with Freo, bottom 4.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby daysofourlives » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:51 pm

daysofourlives wrote:Pretty much every year there is a team that comes from outside the 8 and makes the top 4.

Who is that likely to be this year?

I reckon it could be the Saints, Dont think Melbourne have that potential

Going to be Richmond or Port, the theory stands up again. Just a matter of identifying that team and loading up
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2424 times
Been liked: 1660 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby daysofourlives » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:52 pm

Spargo wrote:
Booney wrote:
am Bays wrote:
Booney wrote:Did he throw them in the air and write down what landed? :lol:

Collingwood, Melbourne and St Kilda in the 8, Adelaide and Geelong not? Collingwood.... :lol:

I did raise an eye-brow at his rationale for Collingwood, "surely they can't have another bad injury run season..."

Shit coach and shit game plan trump injuries every time.

Hope so, I've got a $1000 bet with a bloke at work that North will finish higher than Collingwood at the end of the minor round.

Game on
daysofourlives
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:02 pm

daysofourlives wrote:
Spargo wrote:
Booney wrote:
am Bays wrote:[quote="Booney"]Did he throw them in the air and write down what landed? :lol:

Collingwood, Melbourne and St Kilda in the 8, Adelaide and Geelong not? Collingwood.... :lol:

I did raise an eye-brow at his rationale for Collingwood, "surely they can't have another bad injury run season..."

Shit coach and shit game plan trump injuries every time.

Hope so, I've got a $1000 bet with a bloke at work that North will finish higher than Collingwood at the end of the minor round.

Game on[/quote]
Pies will win tomorrow to give themselves some breathing room :)
Jim05
Coach

Postby Spargo » Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:05 pm

North losing 4 games by less than a goal may come back to bite me on the arse.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5501 times
Been liked: 5141 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby daysofourlives » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:16 pm

Spargo wrote:North losing 5 games by less than a goal may come back to bite me on the arse.

EFA
daysofourlives
Coach

Postby daysofourlives » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:21 pm

Heres my nostradamous prediction, The Crows to just sneak in the 8 with just the 2 more wins for the season, i give them Port and Collingwood.

Losses to Melbourne (Darwin) Geelong and Sydney at home, Essendon under the roof and WC in Perth, a loss in the showdown will see them miss the 8. Real tough draw.
daysofourlives
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:30 pm

daysofourlives wrote:Heres my nostradamous prediction, The Crows to just sneak in the 8 with just the 2 more wins for the season, i give them Port and Collingwood.

Losses to Melbourne (Darwin) Geelong and Sydney at home, Essendon under the roof and WC in Perth, a loss in the showdown will see them miss the 8. Real tough draw.

Like your thinking but they will destroy an injury riddled Melbourne next week and they will have us covered so I still think they will win 4 atleast
Jim05
Coach

Previous

Board index   Football  AFL