AFL Round 12 - Who? Where? When?

Talk on the national game

Re: AFL Round 12 - Who? Where? When?

Postby mots02 » Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:44 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
mots02 wrote:Just read that Carlton are 0 - 7 against teams currently in the top 8.

Ouch.

The ole Port stat rehashed. :D

Not as bad as Port v Top 8 teams... now that's a new level of shambles!
mots02
League - Top 5

Has liked: 134 times
Been liked: 853 times
Grassroots Team: Reynella

Postby mots02 » Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:48 am

amber_fluid wrote:
mots02 wrote:Just read that Carlton are 0 - 7 against teams currently in the top 8.

Ouch.

Given our position on the ladder it’s not really ground breaking news.

Its not ground breaking news but 12 rounds into the season you'd think you might have jagged at least one against the top sides. Just one.
mots02
League - Top 5

Postby Armchair expert » Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:01 pm

Brodlach wrote:How long has McGovern got to go on his contract?

Losing Charlie Curnow from the front half, who I think looks a better player than McKay, is huge. I think it’s their lack of quality mids that brings them down.

The forward line has issues, Curnow is the great unknown, yes he has talent but is he ever doing to be fit, need to find out the last 5 games of this season, meant to be ready to play vfl (if it's on) after the bye. Small forwards are bare...Betts is the best we have got and he is ancient...Owies looks okay but its bare after that, best forward set up is probably

Betts McKay Owies
Martin Curnow ???

Mids lack depth, got Williams with the intention of playing as a mid but it just didn't work, he had the good run late 2019 as a mid but has shown he is just a half back, an expensive one at that.

Cripps isn't fit.

Centre line Fisher Cripps Docherty*
* Doc as a winger as already have Saad/Williams on the half back

Walsh is a gun, Pittonet is a good backup ruck but not a first picked...TDK shows promise, both can't kick for goal for shit though
Need another gun mid.........Stocker Dow O'Brien ain't it ..Fogarty was good first month but faded after that, shows promise.

Backs are probably the most solid line, as shown by not getting spanked every week

Saad Jones Williams
Plowman Weitering Parks

Young players undecided if they are any good or not

Stocker
Kemp
Durdin
Ramsay
Cunningham inj
Dow
Honey
Carroll
Philp inj

No good
Setterfield
McGovern
Kennedy
Obrien
Marchbank inj

Role Player not bad but not good either
Newman
Newnes
SOS

Tradebait
SPS

Retire/Delist
ECurnow
Murphy
Gibbons
Cottrell

Needs
Lock down small defender
Small forwards (get Stengle) I'll buy his coke if he kicks goals each week
Midfield quality + depth

Absolute must
BETTER COACHING
Dave Warner will be missed!
Armchair expert
Coach

Has liked: 379 times
Been liked: 1414 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby Booney » Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:49 pm

^ This very good assessment is exactly why I don't see how Carlton are expected to be finalists.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:17 pm

Carlton just need to stick with a coach for an extended period of time. accept the rollercoaster of results but they need to trust the plan.
the issue is, and they are not alone, not many clubs these days are willing to stick fat through the tough times
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11805 times
Been liked: 3582 times

Postby gadj1976 » Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:20 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:Carlton just need to stick with a coach for an extended period of time. accept the rollercoaster of results but they need to trust the plan.
the issue is, and they are not alone, not many clubs these days are willing to stick fat through the tough times

some sense! Chopping and changing coaches hasn't worked for us for 20 years, but no doubt we'll sack Teague and 'start again', again!
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 795 times
Been liked: 849 times

Postby Booney » Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:22 pm

gadj1976 wrote:
mighty_tiger_79 wrote:Carlton just need to stick with a coach for an extended period of time. accept the rollercoaster of results but they need to trust the plan.

some sense! Chopping and changing coaches hasn't worked for us for 20 years, but no doubt we'll sack Teague and 'start again', again!

It doesn't help but I'd be more worried about getting the list in order, Clarkson, Hardwick, anyone, they wouldn't get this list playing in September.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby gadj1976 » Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:54 pm

Booney wrote:
gadj1976 wrote:

It doesn't help but I'd be more worried about getting the list in order, Clarkson, Hardwick, anyone, they wouldn't get this list playing in September.

Not far away, just need a decent crack without injuries for a decent period of time. Locking in a back six is always paramount to having a crack in September and obviously bringing in Saad and Williams will need time to settle. Williams long term will be a midfield rotation but not yet - obviously not fit enough or not good enough - not sure. That would mean Doc would go back to half back. Having Newman back there on a regular basis will be a benefit as well as I think he's good enough to lock down a small forward - again he just can't get games in his body before it lets him down. I don't know if Marchbank is in our best back 6 and obviously an ACL will prevent us from knowing for a while further. Plowman is serviceable as is Jones but they're not stars, they're both good at taking a third tall but they're having to take a 1st or 2nd tall.

Our forward line was always going to struggle this year. Cas, Curnow, TDK and McGovern all got injured pre season or didn't have a pre season at all. Which meant it was up to SOS to play hit up half forward which he's incapable of. Cas got rushed back before he was fit and it became a dogs breakfast. Depth has been our issue for many years and we still haven't got it nailed. Our depth is very thin.

Mids - all 'same'ish'. I'd have SPS in there to add some speed. At the moment, Dow, Setterfield, Cripps, Curnow (Ed) are 'one paced'. That's not helping us. Walsh isn't lightning fast but needs help!

But the bit I keep coming back to are the skills. Wow..... I've seen Div 3 and 4 teams use the ball better than we do. We get the ball moving well from the backline but then butcher it going into our forward line. Our forward structure isn't great either which doesn't help the mids but crikey, Teague must be pulling his hair out at some of the butchering of the ball. No wonder the mids get caught out with the ball going back over their heads! It'd make anyone look slow.
gadj1976
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:58 pm

I don't think the list is that bad at Carlton.
But they need to define what type of team are they going to be. Defence first, like most of the others or be a little bit daring and play the corridor.
Geelong played the same way from 99 until 2011. We almost jumped at shadows at end of 06'.
If we dumped Bomber we wouldn't have had the success we did.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby gadj1976 » Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:02 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:I don't think the list is that bad at Carlton.
But they need to define what type of team are they going to be. Defence first, like most of the others or be a little bit daring and play the corridor.
Geelong played the same way from 99 until 2011. We almost jumped at shadows at end of 06'.

I think we are. Remembering that our greatest losing margin is 28 pts this season. My concern is that we look like we're going to lose every game by 28 pts and play accordingly.
gadj1976
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:11 pm

gadj1976 wrote:

I think we are. Remembering that our greatest losing margin is 28 pts this season. My concern is that we look like we're going to lose every game by 28 pts and play accordingly.

In my limited viewing of Carlton, when the game opens up they look OK.
By playing for honourable losses the team gets complacent.
I'd rather my team lose by 10 goals trying to kick 20. But that's not popular.

mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby gadj1976 » Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:20 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:
gadj1976 wrote:

I'm the same. I dislike the gameplans of Roos/Lyon etc. So I'm happy we're not conceding 20 goals and getting beaten by 10, but the honorable losses are hard to process because we think we're close/competitive enough but we don't have the killer instinct to win games. Someone on here said we haven't won a game by 10 goals for the longest of all AFL clubs. There is no coincidence in that stat.

I was looking at the ladder and before this week we had about 8th best For and about 13th best Against. So that's nothing to be embarrassed about, nor should we throw the game plan out, its the way we're losing is the concern. I don't think it's unfixable.
gadj1976
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:33 pm

gadj1976 wrote:
mighty_tiger_79 wrote:
gadj1976 wrote:

I'm the same. I dislike the gameplans of Roos/Lyon etc. So I'm happy we're not conceding 20 goals and getting beaten by 10, but the honorable losses are hard to process because we think we're close/competitive enough but we don't have the killer instinct to win games. Someone on here said we haven't won a game by 10 goals for the longest of all AFL clubs. There is no coincidence in that stat.

I was looking at the ladder and before this week we had about 8th best For and about 13th best Against. So that's nothing to be embarrassed about, nor should we throw the game plan out, its the way we're losing is the concern. I don't think it's unfixable.

Maybe the magnets need adjusting??

Get players who are on the list to play the positions they are there for.
Or add a more attacking flair.
Short term pain may mean more points against but may get more points for??

mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby Armchair expert » Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:35 pm

Teague tried playing ECurnow off half back, something different but when you already have a oversupply of halfbacks it was a strange move..playing Stocker who we traded up for (crows) in a back pocket doesn't make much sense to me.
Armchair expert
Coach

Postby amber_fluid » Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:07 pm

Armchair expert wrote:Teague tried playing ECurnow off half back, something different but when you already have a oversupply of halfbacks it was a strange move..playing Stocker who we traded up for (crows) in a back pocket doesn't make much sense to me.

Ed doesn’t have the foot skills nor the run to play half back.
Quite frankly he’s another one who just isn’t up to this level unfortunately.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2217 times
Been liked: 2508 times

Postby Armchair expert » Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:14 pm

amber_fluid wrote:
Armchair expert wrote:Teague tried playing ECurnow off half back, something different but when you already have a oversupply of halfbacks it was a strange move..playing Stocker who we traded up for (crows) in a back pocket doesn't make much sense to me.

Ed doesn’t have the foot skills nor the run to play half back.
Quite frankly he’s another one who just isn’t up to this level unfortunately.

Agreed, think this will be his last season.
Armchair expert
Coach

Postby gadj1976 » Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:19 am

Definitely MT. The magnets do need adjusting.

Here's my take on the positioning on Sunday. Although in saying that I can't work out Stocker on Ryan. I would've thought Newman on Ryan, maybe they thought Newman would be too slow or had a better matchup elsewhere (Petrocelli?). Curnow, lock down type on a back flank, would be my only thought, but FFS, we have three back flankers in the team already. A mate of mine said "why is Saad defending in the goal square all the time". That's cos opposition teams want him there and have found a way to isolate him one on one. We have to find a way to play team defence and free Saad up.

I'd put Docherty back to half back, as well as Williams who's not fit enough/good enough to run through the middle and play Saad off a wing with Dow/Fisher alternating between wing and half forward, leaving Cottrell out.

I can't believe we are again, 'in crisis' (as per the headlines this morning). FFS, stability breeds success.
gadj1976
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:47 pm

john barker has quit
the external review has been brought forward.
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby mots02 » Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:04 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:john barker has quit

First one off of the Teague Train

mots02
League - Top 5

Postby amber_fluid » Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:05 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:john barker has quit

They are going to pay someone lots of money to tell us we are shit!
I’ll do it for half that.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2217 times
Been liked: 2508 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL