1960's SANFL

Anything to do with the history of the SANFL

Re: 1960's SANFL

Postby mal » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:19 pm

nickname wrote:Mal, can you check your budget again because no one called Zanker played for West.
Also, it was Ian Della Pollina, not Polonia.

Both Wronggggggggggggggggg !!!!!!!!!!
His name is
DELLA-POLINA.I.R.
he was listed as the 19th man that DAY
That was a squad of 22 named in the budget

19TH MAN : WALLACE
20TH MAN : LOVEDAY
RESERVE: DELLA POLINA
RESERVE : ZANKER J
mal
Coach

Has liked: 1168 times
Been liked: 926 times

Postby robranisgod » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:34 pm

nickname wrote:Mal, can you check your budget again because no one called Zanker played for West.

You have sparked a number of memories.

I was surprised to see that Ian Della Pollina played for Westies. He had won the Reserves Magarey Medal for Norwood in 1964, but of course had to compete with rovers of the ilk of Haydn Bunton, Robert Oatey, Peter Minervini and Peter Oatey. Norwood seemed to have a surfeit of rovers right through the 1960s.

Also interesting to note that Denis Errrey wore number one, I think he may have been the last non captain of Port to wear that guernsey. Geof Motley wore number 17, even as captain and it was only when John Cahill became captain that Errey and Cahill swapped numbers.

Many of the younger posters may not be aware of David Jonas. David Jonas was an outstanding young Centre Half Back and then Full Forward recruited from Saddleworth. He was the much older brother of Peter Jonas. In May of 1966 he played an absolutely outstanding game against North at Prospect. In the last few minutes of the game he had to be replaced virtually through exhaustion. As he walked around the boundary (as the player coming off the ground often did in those days) my father and his friends, all North supporters, gave Jonas a polite round of applause commenting on what a fine game he had played. I don't know whether that sort of thing would happen today.

As an aside this game was five years after West's 1961 premiership. There are only two players in the West side who played in the 1961 Grand Final. I would be most surprised if anyone could identify the two West premiership players who were in the 1966 side (without looking up the records).
robranisgod
League - Best 21

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 231 times
Grassroots Team: Flinders University

Postby robranisgod » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:36 pm

Mr Beefy wrote:Why are Woodville wearing white shorts and Sturt black shorts?

Woodville's home uniform in the 1960s included white shorts. As did North, Central, South, Torrens and West. It used to annoy me greatly when North played West at richmond and North had to wear black shorts and West wore white shorts.
robranisgod
League - Best 21

Postby Adelaide Hawk » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:26 pm

robranisgod wrote: interesting to note that Denis Errrey wore number one, I think he may have been the last non captain of Port to wear that guernsey. Geof Motley wore number 17, even as captain and it was only when John Cahill became captain that Errey and Cahill swapped numbers.

As an aside this game was five years after West's 1961 premiership. There are only two players in the West side who played in the 1961 Grand Final. I would be most surprised if anyone could identify the two West premiership players who were in the 1966 side (without looking up the records).

So far as official numbers are concerned, you are correct about Port captains with number 1. However, on a technicality, I remember once Russell Ebert was playing in the state team, and another player from the reserves wore number 1. I'd have to look up Football Budgets to see who it was.

So far as the West players, I know one is Brian DeBroughe, and I'm guessing the other one, but I'll wait and see if anyone else comes up with it.
Adelaide Hawk
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby Jimmy » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:28 pm

Adelaide Hawk wrote:
GWW wrote:The Buckley playing for Woodville is presumably Nathan's father.

The MacVicar playing is presumably Colin, who was still playing a decade or so later for the Peckers and then Glenelg.

Correct on both counts. Also big Dean Ottens (27) for Sturt is the father of Geelong's Brad Ottens. Nice to see footage of Woodville, Big Noel Teasdale who won a Brownlow Medal with North Melbourne, the brilliant Bob Simunsen, Malcolm Blight, Ray Huppatz, Rodney Allen, Craig McKellar, even big Freddie Hansch, the veteran ruckman. Woodville had some great players, just not enough of them.

Lovely to see torpedos, drop kicks, etc, far more exciting than drop punt, drop punt, drop punt of the contemporary game. And the umpiring ... did anyone notice it? Umpires just did their jobs and remained as inconspicuous as possible.

Did anyone notice early in the clip Tilbrook take a mark? As he went back a Woodville player strolled across the mark. Didn't upset anyone, nobody cared. These days you'd have umpires running in flapping their arms like it was the crime of the century, and pulling him back 50 metres.

Another thing I wonder if people picked up on. No out of bounds on the full. That wasn't introduced until 1970 in the SANFL, although it was first trialed in and end of season game between Norwood Reserves and University, curtain raiser to the 1969 SANFL Grand Final.

And the jumpers ..... lace-ups completely devoid of advertising logos .... how sweet it is.

Even tho I am a child of the 80s I think I would have preferrd footy in this age. Tilbrooks torp was a massive shank too. Bagshaw looked as tho he had a bit of a mean streak in him.

Wish we still had lace ups.
Carn the blues!!!!!
Jimmy
Coach

Has liked: 125 times
Been liked: 44 times

Postby Jimmy » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:30 pm

mal wrote:In the 1960s I used to collect Coca Cola bottle tops with the footballers faces in them
I collected these as a primary school kid
I still have 8 of them now, used to have hundreds , but dunno what happened to them all
In alphabetical order

INGLIS JOHNNY [NW]
KANTILLA DAVID [SA]
KERLEY NEIL WA]
MODRA DENNIS [NW]
NYGAARD DAMIEN [NW]
PORRITT ROSS NW]
SMITH BARRY [NW]
WEDDING BILL [NW]

Ironically I have Kerley and Nygaard
In the mid to late 60s Nygaard switched positions from half back to become a brilliant half forward
Nygaard had his jaw broken by Neil Kerley, it certainly created a great deal of controversy at the time

Did anyone else collect these Coca cola bottle tops, and have the folder booklet ?
I recall using clag glue to stick the players in the appropriate spots

My old man grew up in the Woodville area and used to walk the train line and pick them up, old bus tickets too. He went to school with malcolm blight as well!
Carn the blues!!!!!
Jimmy
Coach

Has liked: 125 times
Been liked: 44 times

Postby robranisgod » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:23 pm

Adelaide Hawk wrote:
robranisgod wrote: interesting to note that Denis Errrey wore number one, I think he may have been the last non captain of Port to wear that guernsey. Geof Motley wore number 17, even as captain and it was only when John Cahill became captain that Errey and Cahill swapped numbers.

So far as official numbers are concerned, you are correct about Port captains with number 1. However, on a technicality, I remember once Russell Ebert was playing in the state team, and another player from the reserves wore number 1. I'd have to look up Football Budgets to see who it was.

So far as the West players, I know one is Brian DeBroughe, and I'm guessing the other one, but I'll wait and see if anyone else comes up with it.

Brian DeBroughe is correct. I think that he kicked 5 goals in the 1961 win. I think the other player was employed by the same organisation as DeBroughe
robranisgod
League - Best 21

Postby nickname » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:50 pm

mal wrote:

His name is
DELLA-POLINA.I.R.

Well the Westies record book spells it Della Pollina.
Adelaide Hawk has, of course, come up with the explanation about Zanker: listed in the budget but never played a League game.

The other guy from the 61 premiership side would be Wallace.
nickname
League Bench Warmer

Postby robranisgod » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:10 pm

nickname wrote:The other guy from the 61 premiership side would be Wallace.

Correct. John Wallace was very much a fringe player for West but played Centre Half Forward in West's 1961 premiership. He was a wonderful club man as evidenced by the fact that he was still with the club 5 years later, but he only played in the flag because of injury to Don Roach. I guess there are always the lucky and unlucky ones in a premiership team.

The other thing I do find remarkable is that the team did only have only two premiership players 5 years later. The turnover of players is remarkable.
robranisgod
League - Best 21

Postby Adelaide Hawk » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:33 pm

robranisgod wrote:

Correct. John Wallace was very much a fringe player for West but played Centre Half Forward in West's 1961 premiership. He was a wonderful club man as evidenced by the fact that he was still with the club 5 years later, but he only played in the flag because of injury to Don Roach. I guess there are always the lucky and unlucky ones in a premiership team.

The other thing I do find remarkable is that the team did only have only two premiership players 5 years later. The turnover of players is remarkable.

I was thinking John Ryan. Wasn't he still at the club in 1966?
Adelaide Hawk
Coach

Postby mal » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:44 pm

nickname wrote:
mal wrote:

His name is
DELLA-POLINA.I.R.

Well the Westies record book spells it Della Pollina.
Adelaide Hawk has, of course, come up with the explanation about Zanker: listed in the budget but never played a League game.

The other guy from the 61 premiership side would be Wallace.

Np probs, the Budget has his name misprinted
mal
Coach

Postby robranisgod » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:02 am

Adelaide Hawk wrote:
robranisgod wrote:

He certainly isn't in Mal's budget. I thought that he left as part of the exodus from West after the 1963 season. West have an incredibly interesting history and the mass exodus of players after their premierships especially soon after 1947 and 1961 as well as during and after their golden years around 1910 were amazing. I am always reminded of what Jeff Pash wrote when West finally started playing at Richmond in 1958. Pash wrote "West now have a home from where their champions can leave".
robranisgod
League - Best 21

Postby McAlmanac » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:35 am

Adelaide Hawk wrote:Nice to see footage of Woodville, Big Noel Teasdale who won a Brownlow Medal with North Melbourne, the brilliant Bob Simunsen, Malcolm Blight, Ray Huppatz, Rodney Allen, Craig McKellar, even big Freddie Hansch, the veteran ruckman. Woodville had some great players, just not enough of them.

John Cummins, David Christie, Dennis Syvertsen (underrated), Barrie Barbary (love that barrel chested trot back to centre after his goal) - even Ralph was playing that day, while the equally underrated Eddie Holland (who was in the State squad that year) was missing.

If you ever see the whole clip, you'll see Blighty take a trademark speccy over Greg Wild about 35 metres out before proceeding to boot his set shot almost onto the Port Road for a goal. Also, Noel Teasdale takes mark after mark in defence and is chaired off the ground after the game.
Blighty Teasdale - SuperCoach former World No. 1
McAlmanac
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Postby McAlmanac » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:42 am

mal wrote:NYGAARD
Nygaard in the 1970s tried out as the punter in the NFL
I have read this on another illustrious footy website , posted by an illustrious poster
Nygaard was in Canada
he was spotting kicking a ball
He was asked to attend a practice session with a Canadian team
The person who spotted Nygaard became his agent
He tried out with the Green Bay Packers [either 74 or 75 depending where you read about this]
Damians average kick was 41 yards [39 yards is the minimum ]

From what I gather he had some trials, but didnt make the grade
B4 he went to Canada he spent time playing footy with West Perth in the early 70s

Nygaard, from memory , did not play at his best after suffering THAT broken jaw

Damien was in the roofing game; I had him come around for a quote some 15 years ago. Although my small job was inappropriate for his restoration business, he was most polite and professional and seemed a bit chuffed when I asked him if he was that bloke who used to play for Norwood.
Blighty Teasdale - SuperCoach former World No. 1
McAlmanac
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Postby mal » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:54 am

Dont forget that was the players listed to play in round 18 PA V WA 1966
I have 2 more names in round 19 listed for WA the following weeks budget in round 19

ODRISCOLL.L
PURSER.B.

Perhaps John Ryan and others didnt play in rounds 18+ 19 but were at the club ?

Did anyone attend this function ?

WEST TORRENS FOOTBALL SOCIAL CLUB
A Cabaret will be held at the Findon Hotel 20/8/1966
Floor Show Jack Blacks Orchestra
Make up a party, but be early, as the Cabaret is limited
Tickets 60 cents
SJB SMITH Secretary[57-7524]
Vic Page Social Secretary [57-7524]

Can you believe it 60 cents admission !
The Findon Hotel a decade later had a popular disco called Fiesta Villa
It was a favored hang out for me , and for several Woodville Footballers
mal
Coach

Postby nickname » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:48 am

Adelaide Hawk wrote:

He was, yes. He played 7 games in 1966.
And Mal, his name is also spelt "Della-Polina" elsewhere in the book, so who knows.

O'Driscoll also played in the 61 Premiership.
nickname
League Bench Warmer

Postby Adelaide Hawk » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:30 am

As mentioned in an earlier post, the most noteworthy event in the 1960s would have to be the 1964 season and Grand Final. South Adelaide coached by Neil Kerley, and with no real additions to their playing list (except Kerley), a club who ad won 12 wooden spoons and risen no higher than 6th since WW2, went from bottom to Premiers in one season.

The team:
Coach: Neil Kerley
F: David Kantilla, Dick Roennfeldt, Alan White
HF: Alf Skuse, Bruce Alexander, Lester Ross
C: Warren Ploenges, Lindsay Backman, Gerry O'Brien
HB: Bob Schmidt, Dick Jackson, Keith Stewart
B: Tony Shaw, Graham Durbridge, Graham Christie
Ruck: Peter Darley, Neil Kerley, Ian Day
Res: Peter Judd, Chris Thredgold

Not exactly a "who's who" of SA football, but if you look closely at the cream of the side, there are some real stars.

Peter Darley: A great player, and one wonders how good he would have been had he not suffered a serious knee injury earely in his career, and had his off-field activities been a little less sociable.
Neil Kerley: A great player in his day,rugged and highly skilled.
David Kantilla: Once they convinced him to wear footy boots, became a champion, and still one of the best indigenous players I've seen.
Bob Schmidt: A strong, close checking HB flanker who played state footy.
Alf Skuse: HF flanker/rover with incredible speed and goal scoring potential.
Lindsay Backman: Strong overhead mark and good kick for goal.
Alan White: Former North Adelaide player and boxer who played in 66 Carnival team.
Ian Day: Former West Adelaide player who captained the club in 1963.
Graham Christie: Former captain of South, great team man who played mainly in defence.

As a kid, to me South was THE team, and I am still amazed to this day how they sacked Kerley as coach at the end of 1966, and has rarely threatened since.
Adelaide Hawk
Coach

Postby CK » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:18 am

AH (and others of this era), you touch upon how Kerley was sacked from South in this instance. He was also sacked twice from West in difficult circumstances and while he left West Torrens, the terms and conditions put to him as a condition of staying were so onerous (in his words), that he felt compelled to leave there also. Would it be fair to say that his personality and benchmarks were just too much for some clubs to handle?

Bear in mind, I only saw Kerley coaching "live" from 1979 onwards, so while have read plenty of anecdotal evidence from before that period, I would love to hear from those that were there at the time.
Can you guess where I'm calling from, the Las Vegas Hilton...
CK
Veteran

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 3 times

Postby Adelaide Hawk » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:38 am

CK wrote:AH (and others of this era), you touch upon how Kerley was sacked from South in this instance. He was also sacked twice from West in difficult circumstances and while he left West Torrens, the terms and conditions put to him as a condition of staying were so onerous (in his words), that he felt compelled to leave there also. Would it be fair to say that his personality and benchmarks were just too much for some clubs to handle?

Bear in mind, I only saw Kerley coaching "live" from 1979 onwards, so while have read plenty of anecdotal evidence from before that period, I would love to hear from those that were there at the time.

Well, I don't know about that, all I know is what I've been told. From what I hear, Kerley's style of coaching was to weed the men out from the boys. He would take a list, run them into the ground and wait for the 'sofies' to stop turning up. At South he did this with great success.

I heard that he grew tired of South committee members interupting practice to see if players had sold their raffle tickets, etc. His tunnel visioned approached upset many at South, as it had at West, so they sacked him. Both clubs have never been the same since. More interesting was South's choice as replacement coach .. Peter Darley, a very 'social' person. They went from one extreme to the other.

Kerley went to Glenelg with the same approach. Peter Marker talks about the fact the number of players at training halved in the first week. Glenelg were like South, easybeats, laconic social club, and Kerley turned things around, ushering the club into their most successful 20 year period in the club's history. That could have been South, who knows?
Adelaide Hawk
Coach

Postby CENTURION » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:48 am

yep, when he was coaching Central, the players were often seen leaning on the fence, throwing up. His coaching methods went out with the dinosaurs.
Member No. 988 & PROUD to sponsor The CDFC!!
CENTURION
Coach

Has liked: 204 times
Been liked: 112 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL History Forum