The SANFL's most infamous incident?

Anything to do with the history of the SANFL

Re: The SANFL's most infamous incident?

Postby Dogwatcher » Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:09 pm

Nah, I just wanted to have a shot at you. Fed up with your holier-than-thou, sensible attitude.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Booney » Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:11 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:Nah, I just wanted to have a shot at you. Fed up with your holier-than-thou, sensible attitude.

*BANG*
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7526 times
Been liked: 10831 times

Postby Booney » Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:12 pm

Magellan sitting, shaking his head thinking :

"Really thought that it was a topic worth discussing" :lol:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7526 times
Been liked: 10831 times

Postby gadj1976 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:13 pm

Grave Danger and Twiggy Caldwell
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 796 times
Been liked: 850 times

Postby JK » Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:13 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:Nah, I just wanted to have a shot at you. Fed up with your holier-than-thou, sensible attitude.

Always wondered if I'd bought you the wrong beer at the cricket a few years back.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4466 times
Been liked: 2992 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Dogwatcher » Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:15 pm

JK wrote:

Always wondered if I'd bought you the wrong beer at the cricket a few years back.

Mate, you must've been drunk. I don't remember a beer at the cricket. Definitely one at the Parade. We're due again, too.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby Dogwatcher » Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:16 pm

Booney wrote:

*BANG*

A new infamous incident?
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:17 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:
Booney wrote: Come on mate, you know the youngest child always gets the lightest treatment.

The Eagles?

#freekickcount
safooty Melbourne Cup Day Tipping Champion 2018 & 2019 #Back2Back
2018 safooty NFL Tipping Champion
PatowalongaPirate
2022 SA Footy Punter of the Year

Has liked: 451 times
Been liked: 1225 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Magellan » Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:18 pm

I'm happy for there to be any discussion on my topic of choice. ;)

Every year someone misses out on playing in a flag, for whatever reason - injury, form, match-ups, suspension. That's footy. I agree that you don't play, you don't get a medal. Don't take my word for it, though, my club barely knows when grand final day is. I know the above 'cos I read it on the back of a matchbox.

Speaking of people who missed out on playing in grand finals, or those who 'missed in' (so to speak - see what I did there?), how about Royce Hart's cameo for the Bays in the 1969 grand final? Before my time, but surely that must've caused a stir at least among the Sturt crowd?

I remember reading accounts that he'd been knocked out in the second quarter or something, but apparently that's wrong, and Hart actually played the game out and quite well.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby Magellan » Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:19 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:
Booney wrote: Come on mate, you know the youngest child always gets the lightest treatment.

The Eagles?

Crows' reserves.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Postby RB » Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:26 pm

Crows and Power reserves
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 773 times
Been liked: 1083 times

Postby beef » Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:29 pm

Magellan wrote:

I'm happy for there to be any discussion on my topic of choice. ;)

Every year someone misses out on playing in a flag, for whatever reason - injury, form, match-ups, suspension. That's footy. I agree that you don't play, you don't get a medal. Don't take my word for it, though, my club barely knows when grand final day is. I know the above 'cos I read it on the back of a matchbox.

Speaking of people who missed out on playing in grand finals, or those who 'missed in' (so to speak - see what I did there?), how about Royce Hart's cameo for the Bays in the 1969 grand final? Before my time, but surely that must've caused a stir at least among the Sturt crowd?

I remember reading accounts that he'd been knocked out in the second quarter or something, but apparently that's wrong, and Hart actually played the game out and quite well.

The medal itself it just a token. You can give one to everyone who played a game that year but only the blokes who take the field are truely premireship players. Im sure macca only considers himself a 2 time premireship winner (82 & 84). Sonny Bill Willaims gave a disabled kid in the crowd his rugby world cup medal. Pretty sure that kid isnt a medal winner. They could hand out lollipops its the actually playing that matters, the medal itself is irrelevant
beef
League - Best 21

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 256 times

Postby JK » Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:26 pm

Another infamous incident (although I think most consider it humorous folklore) would be the cutting down of the goalpost after a narrow GF victory by Port over Westies.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby Magellan » Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:32 pm

beef wrote:The medal itself it just a token.

Pity Downtown's now closed, Centrals and Port Magpies could've hogged the dodgem cars for a week!
Magellan
Coach

Postby Magellan » Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:38 pm

JK, you might know this - wasn't Craig Blame the first player to be sent off int he 1990s following the implementation of the send-off rule? If I'm right, can you recall the incident? Was it something to do with being reported twice?
Magellan
Coach

Postby JK » Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:40 pm

Magellan wrote:JK, you might know this - wasn't Craig Blame the first player to be sent off int he 1990s following the implementation of the send-off rule? If I'm right, can you recall the incident? Was it something to do with being reported twice?

Don't hold me to it mate, but I think he was the first send off, and I think his offence was bad enough (apparently a king hit on Romani Negri - I wasn't at the game) that it was a straight send off, or was reported by multiple umpires so got his marching orders.

There was a bit going on behind the scenes at Norwood late in the 80's and early 90's and I always wondered if that played a part in him losing the plot. He was a hard bugger (wouldn't expect anything else from a Balme I suppose), and he could give a clip here and there, but I never saw him properly belt someone from memory.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby Magellan » Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:45 pm

JK wrote:
Magellan wrote:JK, you might know this - wasn't Craig Blame the first player to be sent off int he 1990s following the implementation of the send-off rule? If I'm right, can you recall the incident? Was it something to do with being reported twice?

Don't hold me to it mate, but I think he was the first send off, and I think his offence was bad enough (apparently a king hit on Romani Negri - I wasn't at the game) that it was a straight send off, or was reported by multiple umpires so got his marching orders.

There was a bit going on behind the scenes at Norwood late in the 80's and early 90's and I always wondered if that played a part in him losing the plot. He was a hard bugger (wouldn't expect anything else from a Balme I suppose), and he could give a clip here and there, but I never saw him properly belt someone from memory.

Cheers.

Are you at liberty to elaborate on the 'behind the scenes' stuff?
Magellan
Coach

Postby JK » Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:55 pm

Magellan wrote:
JK wrote:

Cheers.

Probably not mate as Ive only heard some stories 3rd hand. Allegedly it was the type of stuff you'd expect at the Bay lol
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby Magellan » Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:01 pm

JK wrote:
Magellan wrote:
JK wrote:

Cheers.

Probably not mate as Ive only heard some stories 3rd hand. Allegedly it was the type of stuff you'd expect at the Bay lol

Nudge nudge, wink wink, say no more! ;)
Magellan
Coach

Postby Psyber » Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:24 pm

One of the nastiest I saw occurred in the late 1950s when West Adelaide full forward Peter(?) Phipps picked up a small dog that had strayed on to Adelaide Oval and threw it, forcefully from some distance away, at the picket fence that the oval had then. It was likely to have been skewered on a pointed picket had not a fan on the fence-line leaned over the pickets and caught it in time.
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 395 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL History Forum