1960's SANFL

Anything to do with the history of the SANFL

Re: 1960's SANFL

Postby robranisgod » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:26 pm

mal wrote:QUESTIONS
R PAYZE is he related to Andrew the Crows/Eagles player ?
IS J BILLS is he related to Freddy and Brenton Bills ?
G BLIGHT is he related to MALcolm Blight ?
P ELFENBEIN , I played with a couple of lads named D + J ELFENBEIN in cricket [both worked for Australia Post] its a longshot, anyone know if this guy is related to them ?

Rodney Payze is Andrew Payze's father. Rodney was Commissioner of Highways as well as being a football administrator.

I believe that George Blight is a cousin of Malcolm Blight. Another relative Horrie Blight had also played for Torrens, but Malcolm was an avid Port supporter.
robranisgod
League - Best 21

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 231 times
Grassroots Team: Flinders University

Postby mal » Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:14 am

MAGAREY MEDAL

HALBERT V HEAD 1955 -1961
1955 is when Halbert started his league career at ST
HALBERTS MEDAL VOTES
1959 ...7
1961 ...20
TOTAL 91 VOTES

HEAD in the same seasons polled 81 votes
Ive listed Heads 2 medal winning seasons
1955 ...20
Both of those years Halbert was runner up in the medal
Also Barrie Barbary won with 24 votes in 1960, Halbert also ran 2nd in the medal that season

John Halbert had been runner up on 3 occasions in his first 7 seasons, with 1 win
That he could be in the Quinella 4 times in his first 7 seasons means he must have 1 hec of a player
mal
Coach

Has liked: 1167 times
Been liked: 922 times

Postby mal » Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:54 am

1960 BARRIE BARBARY MAGAREY MEDAL
Played about 70 games when he won
Debuted in 1957 and played for SA that season
First wingman to win the medal
3RD, 2ND + 1ST preferences first read out in 1960
Barbary waited in a car when the count was concluded,whilst his feMALe friend was doing a modelling course, she heard the result, and she ran out to tell Barbary he had won
Barbary also won the NA B/F in 1960

RELATIONS
Barbarys mother was the sister of Laurie Cahill the SA + RI footballer
Laurie Cahill won Premierships with both clubs
Laurie also coached SA + WA
Laurie is Johnny Cahill's [PA] uncle
Barrie Barbary and Johnny Cahill are cousins

1961 JOHN HALBERT MAGAREY MEDAL
Was listening to the count on the radio with his dad and brother
"' When my last first preference vote was read out i wanted the counting to stop.""
"" Then when it was over I just wanted to cry.""
Shortly after he won Bert Day from C7 interviewed Halbert outside his home, and then Halbert was whisked to C7 where he was interviewed by Blair Schwartz
Halbert also won 2 District cricketer of the year awards in 1961-62 + 1964-65
The more I read about John Halbert the more I am impressed

RELATIONS
John Halberts Grandfather, George Halbert, played for West Torrens
mal
Coach

Postby mal » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:13 am

STURT 1961 PLAYERS USED

19 CUNNINGHAM
18 HALBERT
18 RICHARDSON R
18 SCHOFF
17 GOODGHILD
17 McCARTHY
17 HICKS
16 SHORT
16 THOMSON
15 WILLIAMS
14 BLOWS
14 FEDEROWYTCH
12 CAUST
12 HUNTER
12 SMITH
11 HALE
11 KUTCHER
10 DAVID
9 HEATH
9 KING
8 GUERIN
8 HARRIS
8 KEMP
8 RICHARDSON A
7 FREUNDT
7 RIGNEY
7 SAWFORD
6 KRIEWALDT
6 HEITMAN
6 MArshalL
3 JONES
3 MARTIN
2 SANGSTER
2 GREEN
2 JARRETT
2 MITCHELL J
2 PERROTT
1 GRAHAM P
1 GeorGE
1 PAHL
1 ROMNEY

LEADING GOALKICKERS
26 SCHOFF
22 CAUST
20 THOMSON
14 R RICHARDSON

100+ GAMES B4 1962
110 CAUST
111 HARRIS
121 HALBERT
123 KUTCHER
128 GOODCHILD
140 HUNTER
151 THOMPSON
Lots of experienced players, and only 3 wins

QUESTIONS
Are R + A Richardson related to Victor Richardson the ST footballer, and AU cricketer ?
D David is this the famous doctor ?
R Heath is this Ron the tyre man ?
mal
Coach

Postby Adelaide Hawk » Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:33 am

mal wrote:The more I read about John Halbert the more I am impressed

Yes, be very impressed. Not only was he a fine footballer but he is a very educated man with a healthy sense of humour. I have spent time with him discussing football and cricket, and his knowledge and story telling ability makes him very enjoyable company. His Wally May stories are sensational. He's currently the President of the Sturt District Cricket Club and can be seen at all matches.
Adelaide Hawk
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby robranisgod » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:11 am

mal wrote:STURT 1961 PLAYERS USED

19 CUNNINGHAM
18 HALBERT
18 RICHARDSON R
18 SCHOFF
17 GOODGHILD
17 McCARTHY
17 HICKS
16 SHORT
16 THOMSON
15 WILLIAMS
14 BLOWS
14 FEDEROWYTCH
12 CAUST
12 HUNTER
12 SMITH
11 HALE
11 KUTCHER
10 DAVID
9 HEATH
9 KING
8 GUERIN
8 HARRIS
8 KEMP
8 RICHARDSON A
7 FREUNDT
7 RIGNEY
7 SAWFORD
6 KRIEWALDT
6 HEITMAN
6 MArshalL
3 JONES
3 MARTIN
2 SANGSTER
2 GREEN
2 JARRETT
2 MITCHELL J
2 PERROTT
1 GRAHAM P
1 GeorGE
1 PAHL
1 ROMNEY

LEADING GOALKICKERS
26 SCHOFF
22 CAUST
20 THOMSON
14 R RICHARDSON

100+ GAMES B4 1962
110 CAUST
111 HARRIS
121 HALBERT
123 KUTCHER
128 GOODCHILD
140 HUNTER
151 THOMPSON
Lots of experienced players, and only 3 wins

QUESTIONS
Are R + A Richardson related to Victor Richardson the ST footballer, and AU cricketer ?
D David is this the famous doctor ?
R Heath is this Ron the tyre man ?

D David is in fact David David.

R Heath isn't Ron Heath the tyre man. Ron Heath the tyre man was a Glenelg trainer when Graham Cornes first started at the Bay. Much to Graham's chagrin Ron Heath later became a Port vice President.
robranisgod
League - Best 21

Postby robranisgod » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:19 am

mal wrote:1960 BARRIE BARBARY MAGAREY MEDAL
Barbary waited in a car when the count was concluded,whilst his feMALe friend was doing a modelling course, she heard the result, and she ran out to tell Barbary he had won

Barrie Barbary represented South Australia in more games for South Australia than any other North Adelaide player ever. When you consider the champs North have had I find that stat remarkable. He won the O'Halloran trophy as voted by the Victorian selectors as best player for SA in the famous win at the MCG in 1963. As I have said before Cahill, Barbary and Eustice as a trio were probably the greatest trio of wingmen ever to play in SA at the same time. Barbary was only beaten once in his Magarey Medal year. Ken Eustice beat him at Richmond but Barbary got his revenge at Prospect. My father and his friends used to salivate at the thought of watching Barbary stand Eustice on a wing. Unfortunately these man-on-man battles no longer occur. In fact how many true wingmen do we have these days?
robranisgod
League - Best 21

Postby GWW » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:26 am

I didn't realise Dr David was a footballer :)

Does anyone have a first name or initial for the Heitman listed, I'm curious as to whether its one of the Heitmans from Murray Bridge.
GWW

Has liked: 816 times
Been liked: 166 times

Postby mal » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:30 am

GWW wrote:I didn't realise Dr David was a footballer :)

Does anyone have a first name or initial for the Heitman listed, I'm curious as to whether its one of the Heitmans from Murray Bridge.

I Heitman
Played 6 games in 1961, the only 6 games of his career at that stage

Doctor David played 10 games in 1961, for a then total of 21 games
mal
Coach

Postby mal » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:44 am

robranisgod wrote:

Barrie Barbary represented South Australia in more games for South Australia than any other North Adelaide player ever. When you consider the champs North have had I find that stat remarkable. He won the O'Halloran trophy as voted by the Victorian selectors as best player for SA in the famous win at the MCG in 1963. As I have said before Cahill, Barbary and Eustice as a trio were probably the greatest trio of wingmen ever to play in SA at the same time. Barbary was only beaten once in his Magarey Medal year. Ken Eustice beat him at Richmond but Barbary got his revenge at Prospect. My father and his friends used to salivate at the thought of watching Barbary stand Eustice on a wing. Unfortunately these man-on-man battles no longer occur. In fact how many true wingmen do we have these days?

Barrie Barbary played 149 games for NA between 1957-1964
He then was the playing coach of Kybybolite for 2 seasons [and led them to a flag in his 2nd season]
It has been said that he returned to NA in 1967, but then decided to play for Woodville instead

QUESTIONS
Why would a champion footballer coach in a Country competition ?
And why did he go to Woodville[and play a total of 66 games there] in 1967 ?
I would imagine his leaving NA would have disappointed NA followers ?

I remember seeing Barrie playing in his Woodville days, but until this thread, had not realised what a star footballer he was
mal
Coach

Postby mal » Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:04 pm

SA 16-13
WA 15-17
1961 Carnival game in Brisbane
SA was down by 21 points at 3/4 time
Bill Wedding [NW] and Don Lindner [NA] played big last quarters to help SA to a great win
There was an incident that has been said that changed the course of this match

BARBARY SAID :
Rogers was the Kerley of WA
This guy was big...he had to be 2 stone heavier than Ken
Hes tucked the ball under his arm and hes taken off and Eustice came at him
I think he might have thought ''Well I'll just go over the top of him."'
And he certainly didnt go straight over the top of him
Kenny turned the shoulder, took him straight down the middle, knocked him over onto the ground, nearly knocked him out, but the best part of it he hit him, he took the ball with him
So hes gone through this bloke, put him on the ground, taken the ball, kept running
Ill never forget that
Unbelievable , the bloke would have been bigger than Kerley and he was rough and tough and physical as well
Anyone who saw that would remember it as 1 of the best things you could see on a footy field
Barbary is a long time friend of Eustice

KERLEY SAID :
Ken left his man and attacked him..went straight at this big bloke
He was so quick that as Rogers went for his 3rd or 4th bounce, Ken virtually intercepted the ball as it was between the ground and coming back into his hands
And he just cut thru his legs virtually and took the ball clean and kicked it down to Bill wedding who took a big mark in the forward pocket on an acute angle
With Bill it was even money for the ball to hit his boot and it was 5/1 to kick the goal
And he kicked the goal

EUSTICE SAID:
Fos Williams had me running on the ball and Rogers grabbed the ball
he just fumbled it a bit, and looked up
I was coming flat out and Im sure he didnt think I would keep going
But I cleaned him up
You wouldnt believe the luck...the ball bounced into my arms as I was going flat out
I then kicked it down and Bill Wedding took a mark near goals

FOS WILLIAMS
Was the State coach
After the game, during the dressing room celebrations he put his arm around Ken and told him it was the best bump he had seen
Ive read a few times that Fos Williams really admired Ken as a footballer, and tried a few times to get Eustice to play under him at PA

HALBERT
The 1961 State players, it has been written, were a close well bonded team
What John Halbert had to say about the team just about sums it up :

The 61 Carnival had a big impact on us
We were thrown together for a week and played pool and we had a couple of pinball machines
2 blokes who went to that carnival hardly played- Paul Garnett and Dick Jackson
They played pinball and became really good at it
Every time you got a particular score you would win a bottle of beer
They won enough beer for us to have a party at the end of the carnival without spending a cent .
mal
Coach

Postby robranisgod » Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:24 pm

mal wrote:
robranisgod wrote:

Barrie Barbary played 149 games for NA between 1957-1964
He then was the playing coach of Kybybolite for 2 seasons [and led them to a flag in his 2nd season]
It has been said that he returned to NA in 1967, but then decided to play for Woodville instead

QUESTIONS
And why did he go to Woodville[and play a total of 66 games there] in 1967 ?
I would imagine his leaving NA would have disappointed NA followers ?

I remember seeing Barrie playing in his Woodville days, but until this thread, had not realised what a star footballer he was

At the end of 1964 Barrie was appointed captain coach of Kybybolite in the Upper South East. For some reason he did not need a clearance to go to the league they were in. Kybybolite was (and still is) a very rich area and Barrie was able to be set up financially better than North could offer. Also even though he was only 26 it seemed that he was past his prime. He had began to put on weight and had slowed down fractionally. In fact he had missed state selection for the 1964 interstate match against WA, something that would never have happened a few years before. After a couple of years at Kyby, Barrie returned to Adelaide where he was named on both North and Woodville's training lists. Woodville were able to find him good employment and Barrie was a bit disappointed at North's lack of effort in that regard. Thus he ended his career at Woodville, but he was only a shadow of the player that he had once been. He said his biggest regret at not returning to North was that he didn't get to play with Barrie Robran.

As an aside it was quite common for players in their prime to quit League footy to coach in the country. It certainly happened here with Jimmy Deane and in Melbourne with collingwood legends of the calibre of Bob Rose and Murray Weidemann. It even happened with Doug Thomas mid career when he coached Dimboola in country Victoria.
robranisgod
League - Best 21

Postby McAlmanac » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:48 pm

robranisgod wrote:I believe that George Blight is a cousin of Malcolm Blight. Another relative Horrie Blight had also played for Torrens, but Malcolm was an avid Port supporter.

Horrie Blight also captain-coached Woodville in Amateur League - I think he stands as Woodville's only senior premiership coach.
Blighty Teasdale - SuperCoach former World No. 1
McAlmanac
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Postby robranisgod » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:43 pm

mal wrote:QUESTIONS

It happened a lot in the 1960s. Others who I can remember leaving the SANFL to go to coach whilst still young included Colin Richens and Harry Kernahan who both went to the Spencer Gulf league as did Bob Hammond. Bob would only have been 23 or 24 when he had a 2 year stint coaching Port in Port Pirie. Harry Kernahan too returned to Glenelg for a number of years after spending about 3 years up North. Colin Richens came back for finals but I don't think he resumed his career proper with Glenelg.

I had never thought of it before but Bob Hammond had already captain coached a premiership in probably the second strongest comp in the state when Norwood appointed him coach in 1974. I say that the Spencer Gulf League was the second strongest in the state when you consider at that stage it had 4 clubs from each of Port Pirie, Port Augusta and Whyalla.

Then there was Malcolm Hill from Sturt. He had already played in Hawthorn's first ever premiership before he came over to Sturt. After a few good seasons with Sturt he transferred to Berri as playing coach but Sturt brought him back for the 1966 Grand Final. I think that they sat him on the fence in 1968 as well, but I don't think that he got a run.
robranisgod
League - Best 21

Postby Adelaide Hawk » Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:44 pm

1961 Finals
1st Semi Final: Norwood 11-15 (81), d. West Torrens 7-18 (60)
2nd Semi Final: West Adelaide 11-24 (90), d. Port Adelaide 9-19 (73)
Preliminary Final: Norwood 13-13 (91), d. Port Adelaide 11-23 (89)

1961 Grand Final: West Adelaide v Norwood, Adelaide Oval, 30/9/1961

West Adelaide
Coach: Neil Kerley
Captain: Neil Kerley
F: Brian DeBroughe, Doug Thomas, Frank Hogan
HF: Paul Garnett, John Wallace, Ron Benton
C: Ken Eustice, John Ryan, Bert Johnson
HB: Trevor Reu, Jeff Bray, Jeff Bennetts
B: Leon Lovegrove, Alan Tregenza, Trevor Barker
Ruck: Neil Kerley, Leon O’Driscoll, Jim Wright
Res: Tom Shrubole, Peter Phipps

Norwood
Coach: Alan Killigrew
Captain: Peter Aish
F: Geoff Feehan, Gerry Harrison, Robert Oatey
HF: Brian Sawley, John Lill, John Vickers
C: Bob Fosdike, Lester Ross, Denis Modra
HB: George Dellar, Ron Kneebone, John Inglis
B: Bob Kite, Peter Aish, Bruce Johnson
Ruck: Bill Wedding, Glen McMahon, Peter Minervini
Res: Kevin Cousins, Bob Ashby

Umpire: Lawrie Sweeney
Attendance: 40,409

Peter Aish (Norwood) won the toss and elected to kick to the scoreboard end aided by a strong northerly breeze. The temperature registered at 95.1 degrees as Aish smiled at Kerley and quipped, “Norwood will bat”.

1st Quarter
Norwood opened with several goals but West Adelaide fought back late with three late goals into the breeze. It was clear that Norwood hadn’t made anywhere enough use of the wind. Norwood 4-5, West Adelaide 3-2

2nd Quarter
The second term was the tightest for the match with both teams slugging it out. West didn’t hit the lead for the first time of the match until late in the term. Jeff Bray hobbled off the ground with a pulled leg muscle, and Trevor Rue replaced him at CHB, a move that would have a significant effect on the game. West Adelaide 9-5, Norwood 7-6.

3rd Quarter
Tempers became frayed under the intense heat and players began to lose their cool. A number of incident occurred but not prolonged, so umpire Sweeney saw now need to make a report. Norwood’s ace ruckman Bill Wedding was suffering gastro and the heat rendered him ineffective as Kerley took control, giving West an unexpected ascendancy in ruck. West’s mosquito fleet began to take control with their centre line Eustice, Ryan and Johnson clearly on top. West outscored Norwood into the breeze in a match winning quarter. West Adelaide 12-8, Norwood 9-7.

Final Quarter
A 19 point lead in most Grand Finals is a handy one. In what was to be known as the “Turkish Bath” Grand Final, it was insurmountable as players became fatigued. Norwood were unable to make any impression in the final term, West Adelaide running out deserving winners by 36 points.

Final Score: West Adelaide 16-13 (109), d. Norwood 11-7 (73)
Best Players
WA: Kerley, Reu, Eustice, Benton, Ryan, DeBroughe, Hogan, Johnson
N: Aish, Lill, Oatey, Johnson, Minervini, Kneebone

Incidents in the third term, as well as the intense heat, took it’s toll on a number of players. In the Norwood camp, Fosdike and Harrison sustained broken noses, Aish received 4 stitches in gash above the right eye, Inglis 5 stitches in a split chin, Vickers burst a blood vessel in his right thigh, and Kite collapsed with exhaustion after the game. In the West camp, Bray had a torn hamstring and Lovegrove received 3 stitches in a split left ear.

I recall Neil Kerley reminding us in those days it was verboten to drink water during the match as we knew little about re-hydration. After the match, Kerley quaffed down 2 large bottles of soft drink, then headed off to a TV station for after match interviews.

Kerley was feeling unwell, so they cut for a quick commercial break, in which Kerley vomited all over the desk. Can you imagine playing 4 quarters of fluid and energy sapping footy and not being able to drink?

Players were certainly tough in those days.
Adelaide Hawk
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby robranisgod » Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:46 pm

Adelaide Hawk wrote:1961 Finals
1st Semi Final: Norwood 11-15 (81), d. West Torrens 7-18 (60)
2nd Semi Final: West Adelaide 11-24 (90), d. Port Adelaide 9-19 (73)
Preliminary Final: Norwood 13-13 (91), d. Port Adelaide 11-23 (89)

1961 Grand Final: West Adelaide v Norwood, Adelaide Oval, 30/9/1961

West Adelaide
Captain: Neil Kerley
F: Brian DeBroughe, Doug Thomas, Frank Hogan
HF: Paul Garnett, John Wallace, Ron Benton
C: Ken Eustice, John Ryan, Bert Johnson
HB: Trevor Reu, Jeff Bray, Jeff Bennetts
B: Leon Lovegrove, Alan Tregenza, Trevor Barker
Ruck: Neil Kerley, Leon O’Driscoll, Jim Wright
Res: Tom Shrubole, Peter Phipps

Norwood
Coach: Alan Killigrew
Captain: Peter Aish
F: Geoff Feehan, Gerry Harrison, Robert Oatey
HF: Brian Sawley, John Lill, John Vickers
C: Bob Fosdike, Lester Ross, Denis Modra
HB: George Dellar, Ron Kneebone, John Inglis
B: Bob Kite, Peter Aish, Bruce Johnson
Ruck: Bill Wedding, Glen McMahon, Peter Minervini
Res: Kevin Cousins, Bob Ashby

Umpire: Lawrie Sweeney
Attendance: 40,409

Peter Aish (Norwood) won the toss and elected to kick to the scoreboard end aided by a strong northerly breeze. The temperature registered at 95.1 degrees as Aish smiled at Kerley and quipped, “Norwood will bat”.

1st Quarter
Norwood opened with several goals but West Adelaide fought back late with three late goals into the breeze. It was clear that Norwood hadn’t made anywhere enough use of the wind. Norwood 4-5, West Adelaide 3-2

2nd Quarter
The second term was the tightest for the match with both teams slugging it out. West didn’t hit the lead for the first time of the match until late in the term. Jeff Bray hobbled off the ground with a pulled leg muscle, and Trevor Rue replaced him at CHB, a move that would have a significant effect on the game. West Adelaide 9-5, Norwood 7-6.

3rd Quarter
Tempers became frayed under the intense heat and players began to lose their cool. A number of incident occurred but not prolonged, so umpire Sweeney saw now need to make a report. Norwood’s ace ruckman Bill Wedding was suffering gastro and the heat rendered him ineffective as Kerley took control, giving West an unexpected ascendancy in ruck. West’s mosquito fleet began to take control with their centre line Eustice, Ryan and Johnson clearly on top. West outscored Norwood into the breeze in a match winning quarter. West Adelaide 12-8, Norwood 9-7.

Final Quarter
A 19 point lead in most Grand Finals is a handy one. In what was to be known as the “Turkish Bath” Grand Final, it was insurmountable as players became fatigued. Norwood were unable to make any impression in the final term, West Adelaide running out deserving winners by 36 points.

Final Score: West Adelaide 16-13 (109), d. Norwood 11-7 (73)
Best Players
WA: Kerley, Reu, Eustice, Benton, Ryan, DeBroughe, Hogan, Johnson
N: Aish, Lill, Oatey, Johnson, Minervini, Kneebone

Incidents in the third term, as well as the intense heat, took it’s toll on a number of players. In the Norwood camp, Fosdike and Harrison sustained broken noses, Aish received 4 stitches in gash above the right eye, Inglis 5 stitches in a split chin, Vickers burst a blood vessel in his right thigh, and Kite collapsed with exhaustion after the game. In the West camp, Bray had a torn hamstring and Lovegrove received 3 stitches in a split left ear.

I recall Neil Kerley reminding us in those days it was verboten to drink water during the match as we knew little about re-hydration. After the match, Kerley quaffed down 2 large bottles of soft drink, then headed off to a TV station for after match interviews.

Kerley was feeling unwell, so they cut for a quick commercial break, in which Kerley vomited all over the desk. Can you imagine playing 4 quarters of fluid and energy sapping footy and not being able to drink?

Players were certainly tough in those days.

The main thing I remember of the day other than the stifling heat was the incredible dust storm as the game ended.
robranisgod
League - Best 21

Postby mal » Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:21 pm

Excellent post on the 61 Grand Final Hawky
I almost felt like I was there when reading it
2 Grand Final losses in a row to Norwood in 1960-1961 :(

Some other snippets from the game

The Governor Sir Edric Bastyan presented the Magarey Medal pre game
Neil Kerleys plea to Umpire Sweeney
"" When are you going to sound the bloody siren Laurie.""
Bill Wedding[NW] played the game with an injury and hay fever
Bert Johnson[WA] was in the most of the excusable skirmishes in the first half but then lifted his side with a typical whirlwind 3rd quarter
Glen Mcmahon [NW] collapsed head -first when the siren sounded, oblivious to the crowd steaming all around him
mal
Coach

Postby Look Good In Leather » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:46 pm

Adelaide Hawk wrote:As mentioned in an earlier post, the most noteworthy event in the 1960s would have to be the 1964 season and Grand Final. South Adelaide coached by Neil Kerley, and with no real additions to their playing list (except Kerley), a club who ad won 12 wooden spoons and risen no higher than 6th since WW2, went from bottom to Premiers in one season.

The team:
F: David Kantilla, Dick Roennfeldt, Alan White
HF: Alf Skuse, Bruce Alexander, Lester Ross
C: Warren Ploenges, Lindsay Backman, Gerry O'Brien
HB: Bob Schmidt, Dick Jackson, Keith Stewart
B: Tony Shaw, Graham Durbridge, Graham Christie
Ruck: Peter Darley, Neil Kerley, Ian Day
Res: Peter Judd, Chris Thredgold

Should that be Brian Thredgold, not Chris Thredgold sitting on the fence?
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Previous

Board index   Football  SANFL History Forum