PAFC 150th Anniversary

Anything to do with the history of the SANFL

Re: PAFC 150th Anniversary

Postby robranisgod » Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:42 pm

Magellan wrote:Interesting views, RiG - as a youngster in the 80s hearing about the great SANFL players, it seemed to me that Bagshaw was routinely considered the best player never to win a Magarey.

I was a kid in the 1960s and I never heard that said about Baggy. Don't get me wrong, he was a great player but he seemingly needed a challenge.
Baggy was always considered a great finals player but as I said I can never remember him being in Magarey Medal calculations, nor did he win any of the media awards for Footballer of the Year.
I was surprised to see that he played 14 interstate games. He seemed to be out of the state team more often than he was chosen. Whether Interstate football didn't interest him was another question that could be asked.
I know it was only two journalists opinion but when Mike Coward and Geoff Kingston chose their best 40 players of the first 100 years of South Australian football they rated John Cahill at 17 and Baggy at 30.
I would be interested to see how many Magarey Medal votes Baggy did get and what was the closest he came to winning.
robranisgod
League - Best 21

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 224 times
Grassroots Team: Flinders University

Postby Magellan » Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:54 pm

robranisgod wrote:
Magellan wrote:Interesting views, RiG - as a youngster in the 80s hearing about the great SANFL players, it seemed to me that Bagshaw was routinely considered the best player never to win a Magarey.

I was a kid in the 1960s and I never heard that said about Baggy. Don't get me wrong, he was a great player but he seemingly needed a challenge.

I'm sure you're right. Perhaps it was who I was hearing and reading this from at the time, and perhaps there were some opinions about him expressed through 'rose-coloured glasses' by the time the 1980s had come around - i.e. focusing on the 'Mr Magic' aspects of his game.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby robranisgod » Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:08 pm

Magellan wrote:
robranisgod wrote:

I'm sure you're right. Perhaps it was who I was hearing and reading this from at the time, and perhaps there were some opinions about him expressed through 'rose-coloured glasses' by the time the 1980s had come around - i.e. focusing on the 'Mr Magic' aspects of his game.

I know that I am labouring a point, but as far as I can ascertain Baggy was never even runner up for the Medal. Cahill certainly was in 1970, in his 13th season when he ran second to the greatest player any of us are ever likely to see.
robranisgod
League - Best 21

Postby mal » Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:47 am

1878-1882
Port had not beaten Norwood in their first 9 matches
The tally was
0 Port Adelaide
3 Draws
6 Norwood

The 10th time the 2 sides met was round 4 at Adelaide Oval 27/5/1882
The scores were
NW 1-16
PA 2-11

According to a googled Wikipedia Port Norwood rivalry internet page :
This match was deemed Result Annulled

Why ?
mal
Coach

Has liked: 1138 times
Been liked: 892 times

Postby Mr Beefy » Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:05 pm

mal wrote:1878-1882
Port had not beaten Norwood in their first 9 matches
The tally was
0 Port Adelaide
3 Draws
6 Norwood

The 10th time the 2 sides met was round 4 at Adelaide Oval 27/5/1882
The scores were
NW 1-16
PA 2-11

According to a googled Wikipedia Port Norwood rivalry internet page :
This match was deemed Result Annulled

Why ?

Seems the Norwoods had a sook
norwood port.png
norwood port.png (368.93 KiB) Viewed 3479 times

norwood port 2.png
norwood port 2.png (169.34 KiB) Viewed 3479 times
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 404 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby mal » Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:04 pm

Nice work Mr Beefy
Protest upheld

1882 LADDER [no finals were played]
13-1.... NORWOOD
11-2-1. SOUTH
7-7...... PORT
4-8-2... VICTORIAN
4-9-1 ..SOUTH PARK
0-10 ...ROYAL PARK[only played 10 matches]

Round 8
1-3 Norwood
2-7 South

That South win ends up being Norwoods only defeat for the season

History was created 21/7/1883 on the Adelaide Oval
Port Adelaide won their first SAFA game against Norwood
This happened on the 13th meeting between the clubs
1-9 NW
5-7 PA
mal
Coach

Postby mal » Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:34 pm

PA 10-2 finished minor premier
However PA were disqualified for the finals
The second semi game against SA never eventuated, with SA being gifted a Grand Final berth
The official victory was termed a Walkover in those days

Was this the reason why ?
PA refused to play the second semi as didnt want Umpire Kneebone, for whatever reasons , to officiate the match
mal
Coach

Postby Booney » Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:19 pm

Some really good content coming out of the club at the moment :

Episode 1 - Ginever and Mark Tylor

https://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/video ... 5639045001

Episode 2 - Ginever and David Arnfield

https://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/ ... d-arnfield
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby robranisgod » Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:28 pm

mal wrote:1902
PA 10-2 finished minor premier
However PA were disqualified for the finals
The second semi game against SA never eventuated, with SA being gifted a Grand Final berth
The official victory was termed a Walkover in those days

Was this the reason why ?
PA refused to play the second semi as didnt want Umpire Kneebone, for whatever reasons , to officiate the match

You are right about Port refusing to play under Umpire Kneebone. As far as I can ascertain, Kneebone had umpired the previous season but in 1902 he hadn't register to umpire. Somehow the SAFA decided to appoint him to the second semi final. Port smelt a rat and refused to play under him. Thus South were awarded the win and played North who had finished second at the end of the Minor Round. North had beaten Torrens the previous week in the first semi final. North then beat South in the Grand Final. Port challenged North but the SAFA wouldn't allow the game to go ahead and declared North the premier.
Some cynics would say that Port got their revenge on the league a bit over 50 years later when Lawrie Sweeney umpired a number of finals. Doug Thomas used to say that Sweeney wore a black singlet after his white umpires shirt as West lost a number of Grand Finals narrowly to Port.
Even as late as the 1960 Second Semi Final the story went that Sweeney singlehandedly got Port back to within 3 points with 10 minutes to gp after being over 5 goals down against North. Sweeney then went down with stomach cramps and was stretchered from the ground. WIth Brenton Whitford umpiring North steadied and won by 10 points. Whitford umpired the Preliminary Final as well and Norwood defeated Port comfortably thus ending Port's premiership run of 6 premierships. Whitford umpired the Grand Final as well which North won by 5 points.
I don't remember 1902 but I certainly remember 1960 well.
robranisgod
League - Best 21

Postby robranisgod » Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:35 pm

Booney wrote:Some really good content coming out of the club at the moment :

Episode 1 - Ginever and Mark Tylor

https://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/video ... 5639045001

Episode 2 - Ginever and David Arnfield

https://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/ ... d-arnfield

The Ginever and Tylor interview is fantastic. I was very glad to hear that there was no ill will between Tylor and Scott Hodges. Seriously I don't like hearing unfounded rumours like used to do the rounds about Tylor and Hodges feuding. Port were so lucky to have a champion full forward and another of the ilk of Tylor at the same time. I think it speaks volumes for Tylor that he stayed at Port after missing selection for the first 4 flags. He could have so easily "spat the dummy" and went to another club. I know he did go to Glenelg at the end of his career but that was after he had played in a premiership for Port.
robranisgod
League - Best 21

Postby robranisgod » Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:40 pm

mal wrote:The official victory was termed a Walkover in those days

A walkover was still a common term in the 1960s. As a child at that time I was at the Strathalbyn trots when there was only horse left in the race after all the other horses were scratched. The horse still had to complete the course but it was reported next day that it had won in a walkover. I thought it an odd term at the time and still do.
robranisgod
League - Best 21

Postby Booney » Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:19 pm

UNCORK the champagne. Strike up the band, as they did in 1870 for Port Adelaide games. The moment has come. April 20 - the day, 150 years ago, when three men started a football club - and no ordinary football club.

John Albert Rann.

Richard William John Leicester.

And George Henry Ireland.

It was a Wednesday. They met at North Parade at Port Adelaide. They had a vision for their growing community, its people - and the new game of Australian football that was less than a decade-old in Adelaide.

By May 12, Rann had set up this new football club at the Port Adelaide Cricket Club, where he was president. The club's first committee was established with the presidency taken up by John Hart junior, the son of South Australia's 10th Premier, John Hart.

Leicester was the club's first secretary. Ireland, the first treasurer. Rann became a committee member, along with Messrs. R. Carr and F. Bridgeman.

The first practice game was played two days later on the Hart's family estate at Glanville.

And, as they say, the rest is history with 37 premierships - and eight other titles - making the Port Adelaide Football Club the most successful in Australian football.

Unfortunately, not all the early history of the Port Adelaide Football Club - particularly from the club's first three decades - is under a glass cabinet for all to see. As Rann told The Advertiser, while seeking to put the club's early days on record in 1908, "official records of the history of the club were inadvertently burnt some years ago ..."

Can there be a greater tragedy in Australian football?

So who were these three wise men who met on an autumn Wednesday in the heart of Port Adelaide to bring forward a football club that 150 years later "exists to win premierships and to make its community proud"?

Ireland is recorded with 27 games, from the start in 1870 to the last season (1876) before Port Adelaide became a founding member of SA's first organised football competition, the SA Football Association.

Leicester played six, in the first two seasons. His tenure at Port Adelaide in its foundation years was shortened by a work transfer to Port Pirie in 1875.

Rann had the longest playing career, 38 games - and was the only Port Adelaide pioneer to feature in the club's first SAFA season in 1877. He also captained the club in 1874.

All three had significant administrative roles in the club's foundation seasons.

JOHN ALBERT RANN was born in Dudley, Staffordshire in England on June 9, 1845. His obituary, following his death on April 27, 1912, recorded Rann was "an old and respected resident of Port Adelaide; (he) died at his residence, Church Place, (Port Adelaide) after about 18 months' illness. He took an active interest in athletics at Port Adelaide in former years. He was one of the founders of the Port Adelaide Football Club. A widow, one son, and five daughters survive him."

Four years before his death, Rann told The Advertiser of the club's formation years "as well as if it happened yesterday".

From his memory, the club's first practice game was at Buck's Flat on Saturday, May 14. This is in line with newspaper advertisements placed by Leicester.

The club's first game against the short-lived Young Australian Football Club was, in Rann's memory, at the North Park Lands on July 30, 1870 (and not as recent accounts have it at Buck's Flat on May 24, 1870 - a Tuesday public holiday for the Queen's Birthday celebrations).

Rann's recalled Port Adelaide first home game - the return bout with the Young Australians - on August 20, 1870 was "remarkable for having been decided in a blinding dust storm".

Also notable in his "reminiscences" of Port Adelaide's early years is Rann's thought that the change from the "Magentas" to the famous black-and-white bars jumper in 1902 had "the effect of which to make the men look heavier than they really are."

RICHARD WILLIAM JOHN LEICESTER was born in London in 1850 and immigrated to Australia on the Daylesford in 1853. He died on September 28, 1928 at his home at Rose Terrace, Wayville. His obituary in The News was titled "Port Football Pioneer".

A graudate of the Port Adelaide Grammar School, Leicester became a prominent community leader in Port Adelaide, Gawler and Port Pirie where he became the first town clerk. His first job, in 1865, was in the offices of John Hart & Co - and a decade later he was the company's branch manager at Port Pirie when the township had few houses and was a wheat shipping centre.

Leicester returned to Port Adelaide - via Gawler where he was stationed for 23 years - in 1907 to take charge of the Hart's large milling plant that had merged with the Adelaide Milling Company in 1882.

Beyond his interest in sport and duty in public service, Leicester also commanded attention in the arts, winning first prizes when exhibiting his paintings.

GEORGE HENRY IRELAND was born on December 5, 1847. He died, aged 80, at his famous Woodville residence - "The Grove" - on August 19, 1928.

Ireland was captain of Port Adelaide's "Blue" team - in the end-of-season match between "Blues" and "Whites", in recognition of the club's first colours - when the 1870 campaign ended at Buck's Flat on Saturday, October 1 with the Port Adelaide Artillery Band present.

Ireland was part of the Port Adelaide side for the opening game of the 1871 season on April 15 against Adelaide in the North Park Lands with the Concordia Band engaged to add to the entertainment.

Like Leicester, Ireland also moved from Port Adelaide to Port Pirie - to continue his extensive employment at the Globe Timber Mills. He also had a notable service record in cricket.

These are the three wise men who gave the Port Adelaide Football Club its start on April 20, 1870. If they were able to gather again, 150 years later, at North Parade with Pirate Life ale at their table, what would they make of the football club that stands today at Alberton?

They had walked the Port Adelaide docks in 1870 watching the new colony of South Australia export is wealth to the world. More than a century later, their football club ambitiously created a first by taking the game of Australian football off shore to China.

When they went to the North Park Lands in late July 1870 to play their first competitive game as Port Adelaide footballers, they could never have imagined more than a century later their football club would have played a pivotal part in redeveloping a grand sporting venue at Adelaide Oval.

How would have they sat on April 20, 1997 - the 127th anniversary of their North Parade meeting - while their Port Adelaide Football Club made a statement on a national stage by winning the first Showdown against a different version of the Adelaide Football Club to the one they had known in the Adelaide parklands in 1870?

When they closed the inaugural season in 1870 - having played three competitive matches against Young Australian and two "internals" - there was no premiership to have been won. On the 150th anniversary of their first meeting at North Parade, there are 37 premiership flags on display at their Port Adelaide Football Club.

All this seems far, far more than could have been the vision of Messrs. Ireland, Leicester and Rann on April 20, 1870. But it stays true to the Port Adelaide theme of its centenary season in 1970 - Proud of the past, confident of the future. And as the club says in 2020: Proud past, bold future.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby am Bays » Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:47 pm

Is this one of those Gregorian/Julian calendar c0ck ups that makes 1870 really 1997.... :D
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1804 times

Postby Booney » Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:54 pm

am Bays wrote:Is this one of those Gregorian/Julian calendar c0ck ups that makes 1870 really 1997.... :D

Just my Twitter and Insta to go, UK.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby am Bays » Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:00 pm

Booney wrote:
am Bays wrote:Is this one of those Gregorian/Julian calendar c0ck ups that makes 1870 really 1997.... :D

Just my Twitter and Insta to go, UK.

:lol: :lol:

It's OK this luddite doesn't do Insta or Twit!

I see the censors are out and about on facey….
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1804 times

Postby Booney » Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:09 pm

Are they?

Obviously not very tolerant.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby RB » Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:33 pm

Booney wrote:Port Adelaide Football Club made a statement on a national stage by winning the first Showdown against a different version of the Adelaide Football Club

Different version? Just a bit...
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 759 times
Been liked: 1073 times

Postby gazzamagoo » Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:56 pm

Booney wrote:UNCORK the champagne. Strike up the band, as they did in 1870 for Port Adelaide games. The moment has come. April 20 - the day, 150 years ago, when three men started a football club - and no ordinary football club.

John Albert Rann.

It was a Wednesday. They met at North Parade at Port Adelaide. They had a vision for their growing community, its people - and the new game of Australian football that was less than a decade-old in Adelaide.

By May 12, Rann had set up this new football club at the Port Adelaide Cricket Club, where he was president. The club's first committee was established with the presidency taken up by John Hart junior, the son of South Australia's 10th Premier, John Hart.

Leicester was the club's first secretary. Ireland, the first treasurer. Rann became a committee member, along with Messrs. R. Carr and F. Bridgeman.

The first practice game was played two days later on the Hart's family estate at Glanville.

And, as they say, the rest is history with 37 premierships - and eight other titles - making the Port Adelaide Football Club the most successful in Australian football.

Unfortunately, not all the early history of the Port Adelaide Football Club - particularly from the club's first three decades - is under a glass cabinet for all to see. As Rann told The Advertiser, while seeking to put the club's early days on record in 1908, "official records of the history of the club were inadvertently burnt some years ago ..."

So who were these three wise men who met on an autumn Wednesday in the heart of Port Adelaide to bring forward a football club that 150 years later "exists to win premierships and to make its community proud"?

Ireland is recorded with 27 games, from the start in 1870 to the last season (1876) before Port Adelaide became a founding member of SA's first organised football competition, the SA Football Association.

Leicester played six, in the first two seasons. His tenure at Port Adelaide in its foundation years was shortened by a work transfer to Port Pirie in 1875.

Rann had the longest playing career, 38 games - and was the only Port Adelaide pioneer to feature in the club's first SAFA season in 1877. He also captained the club in 1874.

All three had significant administrative roles in the club's foundation seasons.

JOHN ALBERT RANN was born in Dudley, Staffordshire in England on June 9, 1845. His obituary, following his death on April 27, 1912, recorded Rann was "an old and respected resident of Port Adelaide; (he) died at his residence, Church Place, (Port Adelaide) after about 18 months' illness. He took an active interest in athletics at Port Adelaide in former years. He was one of the founders of the Port Adelaide Football Club. A widow, one son, and five daughters survive him."

Four years before his death, Rann told The Advertiser of the club's formation years "as well as if it happened yesterday".

From his memory, the club's first practice game was at Buck's Flat on Saturday, May 14. This is in line with newspaper advertisements placed by Leicester.

The club's first game against the short-lived Young Australian Football Club was, in Rann's memory, at the North Park Lands on July 30, 1870 (and not as recent accounts have it at Buck's Flat on May 24, 1870 - a Tuesday public holiday for the Queen's Birthday celebrations).

Rann's recalled Port Adelaide first home game - the return bout with the Young Australians - on August 20, 1870 was "remarkable for having been decided in a blinding dust storm".

Also notable in his "reminiscences" of Port Adelaide's early years is Rann's thought that the change from the "Magentas" to the famous black-and-white bars jumper in 1902 had "the effect of which to make the men look heavier than they really are."

RICHARD WILLIAM JOHN LEICESTER was born in London in 1850 and immigrated to Australia on the Daylesford in 1853. He died on September 28, 1928 at his home at Rose Terrace, Wayville. His obituary in The News was titled "Port Football Pioneer".

A graudate of the Port Adelaide Grammar School, Leicester became a prominent community leader in Port Adelaide, Gawler and Port Pirie where he became the first town clerk. His first job, in 1865, was in the offices of John Hart & Co - and a decade later he was the company's branch manager at Port Pirie when the township had few houses and was a wheat shipping centre.

Leicester returned to Port Adelaide - via Gawler where he was stationed for 23 years - in 1907 to take charge of the Hart's large milling plant that had merged with the Adelaide Milling Company in 1882.

Beyond his interest in sport and duty in public service, Leicester also commanded attention in the arts, winning first prizes when exhibiting his paintings.

GEORGE HENRY IRELAND was born on December 5, 1847. He died, aged 80, at his famous Woodville residence - "The Grove" - on August 19, 1928.

Ireland was captain of Port Adelaide's "Blue" team - in the end-of-season match between "Blues" and "Whites", in recognition of the club's first colours - when the 1870 campaign ended at Buck's Flat on Saturday, October 1 with the Port Adelaide Artillery Band present.

Ireland was part of the Port Adelaide side for the opening game of the 1871 season on April 15 against Adelaide in the North Park Lands with the Concordia Band engaged to add to the entertainment.

Like Leicester, Ireland also moved from Port Adelaide to Port Pirie - to continue his extensive employment at the Globe Timber Mills. He also had a notable service record in cricket.

These are the three wise men who gave the Port Adelaide Football Club its start on April 20, 1870. If they were able to gather again, 150 years later, at North Parade with Pirate Life ale at their table, what would they make of the football club that stands today at Alberton?

They had walked the Port Adelaide docks in 1870 watching the new colony of South Australia export is wealth to the world. More than a century later, their football club ambitiously created a first by taking the game of Australian football off shore to China.

When they went to the North Park Lands in late July 1870 to play their first competitive game as Port Adelaide footballers, they could never have imagined more than a century later their football club would have played a pivotal part in redeveloping a grand sporting venue at Adelaide Oval.

How would have they sat on April 20, 1997 - the 127th anniversary of their North Parade meeting - while their Port Adelaide Football Club made a statement on a national stage by winning the first Showdown against a different version of the Adelaide Football Club to the one they had known in the Adelaide parklands in 1870?

When they closed the inaugural season in 1870 - having played three competitive matches against Young Australian and two "internals" - there was no premiership to have been won. On the 150th anniversary of their first meeting at North Parade, there are 37 premiership flags on display at their Port Adelaide Football Club.

All this seems far, far more than could have been the vision of Messrs. Ireland, Leicester and Rann on April 20, 1870. But it stays true to the Port Adelaide theme of its centenary season in 1970 - Proud of the past, confident of the future. And as the club says in 2020: Proud past, bold future.

Yeah yeah,
happy birthday black and white scum :D
I feel dirty now,
but I must say, I had the best times when we played Port, whether we won or got smashed,
hangin' behind the goals with Harold, Wrighty, Donga etc etc.
By the way, & correct me if I'm wrong, but does Central hold the record for the longest winning streak against The Maggies?
Was it 11 matches?
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1656 times
Been liked: 643 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby Jim05 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:04 pm

gazzamagoo wrote:
Booney wrote:UNCORK the champagne. Strike up the band, as they did in 1870 for Port Adelaide games. The moment has come. April 20 - the day, 150 years ago, when three men started a football club - and no ordinary football club.

John Albert Rann.

Yeah yeah,
I feel dirty now,
but I must say, I had the best times when we played Port, whether we won or got smashed,
By the way, & correct me if I'm wrong, but does Central hold the record for the longest winning streak against The Maggies?
Was it 11 matches?
Norwood won their first 12 straight against Port
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby gazzamagoo » Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:34 pm

Jim05 wrote:
gazzamagoo wrote:

John Albert Rann.

Yeah yeah,
I feel dirty now,
Was it 11 matches?
Norwood won their first 12 straight against Port

Just checked, Central won 14 in a row, between 2007 & 2012.
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1656 times
Been liked: 643 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL History Forum