1921 - 1963

Anything to do with the history of the SANFL

Re: 1921 - 1963

Postby robranisgod » Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:18 pm

Wedgie wrote:I'll ask zip zap where he would have gone next time he comes into my pub. I'll ask Ian Dettman too. :D

But would they know who they would have been tied to if Woodville hadn't come into the competition. ZipZap would have been 8 when the boundaries changed to include Woodville and Dettman would not have been born. I was told that Ralph Sewer came from the Wingfield area which had always been Port area up to 1959.
I don't know where Dettman came from.
I am sure that is what the great Mal wants to know. To which club they would have been tied.
robranisgod
League - Best 21

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 224 times
Grassroots Team: Flinders University

Postby Wedgie » Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:57 pm

robranisgod wrote:
Wedgie wrote:I'll ask zip zap where he would have gone next time he comes into my pub. I'll ask Ian Dettman too. :D

But would they know who they would have been tied to if Woodville hadn't come into the competition. ZipZap would have been 8 when the boundaries changed to include Woodville and Dettman would not have been born. I was told that Ralph Sewer came from the Wingfield area which had always been Port area up to 1959.
I don't know where Dettman came from.
I am sure that is what the great Mal wants to know. To which club they would have been tied.

I'll confirm exactly where they came from, easy. :D
Both are good blokes and easy to chat to. Plus I serve them beer so they have to listen to me. 8)
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2021 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby mal » Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:52 pm

To make it clear
Its not where the WDV players I mentioned wanted to play
its what teams boundaries they lived in that dictated where they had to play, unless they obtained a clearance
So yes RIG , that is what I am looking for, which club the WV plyers would have been tied to prior to the boundaries changing
The boundaries changed in the late 1950s when WV became a football entity

Heres an example
Wayne Carty resdided at Athol Park and played for WV in the 1970s
Pre 1960 if you resided in Athol Park you were aligned to PA
When it was changed, then you were aligned to WV

League footballers at Woodville High School in the 1970s ended up at either PA or WV, pending what suburbs they resided in
I once asked a Woodville High School ,teacher who was staunch PA barracker , about why kids were ending up at 2 different clubs
He replied in a very animated manner that WV were basically brought in to quell PAs dominance in the SANFL

Wayne Carty ended up a WV player whereas Andy Porplycia who lived in a similar postcode ended up at PA
Both attended Woodville High School

Another example is MALcolm Blight
Blighty was raised in Woodville South inthe 1950s which was a PA area, and barracked for PA
Theres every chance Blighty would have been a PA player, but the zones changed
By the time he was ready to play SANFL in 1968 he was zoned in the WV area
mal
Coach

Has liked: 1138 times
Been liked: 892 times

Postby robranisgod » Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:22 am

mal wrote:To make it clear
its what teams boundaries they lived in that dictated where they had to play, unless they obtained a clearance
So yes RIG , that is what I am looking for, which club the WV plyers would have been tied to prior to the boundaries changing

Heres an example

League footballers at Woodville High School in the 1970s ended up at either PA or WV, pending what suburbs they resided in
I once asked a Woodville High School ,teacher who was staunch PA barracker , about why kids were ending up at 2 different clubs
He replied in a very animated manner that WV were basically brought in to quell PAs dominance in the SANFL

Wayne Carty ended up a WV player whereas Andy Porplycia who lived in a similar postcode ended up at PA

Blighty was raised in Woodville South inthe 1950s which was a PA area, and barracked for PA

But Mal you may also remember that Milan Faletic and Neville Mead played league footy for Torrens whilst Woodville High School students. They came from the old Torrens heartland of Brompton and Croydon. It remained Torrens area until the early 70s when Torrens were given the Tea Tree Gully zone
Once again we are going off on a tangent but Woodville Highs zone spread from Bowden to Port Adelaide and always covered at least two teams and after Woodville came in, 3 teams.
Bob Simunsen was a WHS student who would have been tied to Torrens before the introduction of Woodville.
robranisgod
League - Best 21

Postby JK » Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:00 am

Ripper bloke Nev btw
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4440 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby robranisgod » Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:21 am

JK wrote:Ripper bloke Nev btw

Certainly was when I knew him as a young person.
robranisgod
League - Best 21

Postby JK » Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:24 pm

robranisgod wrote:
JK wrote:Ripper bloke Nev btw

Certainly was when I knew him as a young person.

Still is, I’d doubt he had an enemy in the world. What was he like as a footballer mate?
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby robranisgod » Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:06 pm

He was a vety good footballer.
The type who would have been even better in a better side.
He was a good athlete but probably that awkward height where you had to have some "tricks" to stand out. He wasn't quite tall enough for a key position.
Last edited by robranisgod on Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
robranisgod
League - Best 21

Postby JK » Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:17 pm

robranisgod wrote:He was a vety good footballer.
The type who would have been even better in a better side.
He was a good athlete but probably that awkward height where you had to have some "tricks" to stand out. He wasn't quite tall enough for a key position.He

Thanks RIG. I played night owls bowls at Henley for 20 odd years and there is and was a very strong Eagles and SANFL presence .. Greg Boyd, Russell Ebert, Chook Barrett, Freddy Bills, Nev, Steve Curtis, Bobby Enright, David Fairclough, Wayne Weideman, Max James and plenty of others over the years. All excellent blokes. Most were a bit before my time following footy or I caught them at the end of their careers, would love to have seen them all in action on footy fields.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby mal » Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:12 pm

robranisgod wrote:
mal wrote:To make it clear

Heres an example

But Mal you may also remember that Milan Faletic and Neville Mead played league footy for Torrens whilst Woodville High School students. They came from the old Torrens heartland of Brompton and Croydon. It remained Torrens area until the early 70s when Torrens were given the Tea Tree Gully zone
Once again we are going off on a tangent but Woodville Highs zone spread from Bowden to Port Adelaide and always covered at least two teams and after Woodville came in, 3 teams.
Bob Simunsen was a WHS student who would have been tied to Torrens before the introduction of Woodville.

Yes I remember Nev, a real swell lad he had a very very nice looking little sister
Milan used to have long hamstring length hair back in those days !

I was raised in the area
When I was born I was in a WT zone which ended up a WV zone
We shifted to another suburb, that was a PA zone and then became a WV zone
There are 2 conclusions
WT were weakened
If I was good enough I would have played league Football for WV, only 1 thing stopped me , ability ....

Now can anyone confirm this please
The deciding vote for a WV inclusion was given by NW ?
If so, In a quirky way with some justification , as NW took over a fair swag of WV footballers in time for NWs inaugural season in 1878
norWOOD even incorporated part of WOODvilles name !
WV was in the first SAFA season of 1877
WV re-appeared in league ranks 87 years later

Had WV survived after 1877, I wonder how the course of PA history would have taken
The amount of footballers PA might have had to share with WV may have eroded the PA successes in the coming years
mal
Coach

Postby robranisgod » Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:55 pm

mal wrote:There are 2 conclusions
WT were weakened
If I was good enough I would have played league Football for WV, only 1 thing stopped me , ability ....

Now can anyone confirm this please
The deciding vote for a WV inclusion was given by NW ?

I still disagree that West Torrens were weakened more than other clubs by Woodville coming in. In 1959, Port Adelaide and North Adelaide certainly lost more of their traditional area than West Torrens did. You would know this yourself, Mal, because you were still in the West Torrens area until the 1970 realignment of boundaries as I was.
West Torrens did lose their heartland in 1970, but this was a dying area full of immigrants who were often likely to play soccer, and instead West Torrens were given the fast growing Tea Tree Gully area. The problem was that to have made that area an absolute success they would have had to move out there, which is what the league wanted. As I explained before, Torrens were crippled by the $2,000 rule, but would have that happened had they moved out to Tea Tree Gully?
I know that I am a North supporter but I can never understand how in the 1970 recalibration of the boundaries, North Adelaide was left with half the male under 20 population of all other clubs. It seemed totally incongruous to me, and I will always maintain that North were more damaged by the inclusion of the new teams than Torrens. This was rectified in the next boundary change which happened In 1983.
Norwood may well have voted for the inclusion of Woodville, but they certainly didn't have the casting vote. As pointed out by RB, Tony Kenny, the league President had the casting vote when it was tied 4-4. I had never seen how the clubs had voted before but RB posted that Port, Torrens, Sturt and West voted for the status quo so accordingly Norwood must have voted for the new clubs. It could be said that if they had voted the other way, we would have kept the 8 team competition but the same could have been said for any of the 4 teams who voted to increase the competition to 10 teams.
One other thing I learnt from RBs post is that Tony Kenny, the League President voted against the wishes of his club, West Adelaide.
robranisgod
League - Best 21

Postby mal » Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:11 pm

1939 Grand Final
PA 16-28
WT 11-11

The 28 points only scores remains the most scored in a SANFL GF
Shine Hosking was the WT coach, won 2 Magarey Medals for PA.
Brick Hoffman played for PA, his daughter was a star squash player, Vicki Caldwell
Claude Greening played for PA his grandsons Brett, Paul and Roger James all played at Norwood

These are the total minor round points scored in the 1930s
I have no weather reports available for these stats
1930 11522
1931 11349
1932 11712
1933 12955
1934 13756
1935 13465
1936 14423
1937 13357
1938 13928
1939 14597

1939 was a BIG jump in scoring
What I do know about 1939 is it was a very hot Adelaide summer, and off course the start of a world conflict
Why the higher scoring in 1939 ?
mal
Coach

Postby FlyingHigh » Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:41 pm

Wedgie wrote:
mal wrote:
Wedgie wrote:Noarlunga Centre was only built in the 70s. Was stuff all down there except for Christie's and Port Noarlunga.
Wouldn't have been viable for a team down there till the 90s.

Without knowing which areas were aligned to which clubs in the mid 50s
Was there anywhere else deepish south for an Sanfl expansion ?
What about Mclaren Vale areas ?
Or could they have formed a team in the Adelaide Hills ?

If i go back down the hill and use say Reynella for a team, that might be a GL area back then ?
Having a team not deep enough south of town might bugger up GL ?

We had CD formed
Where else could a 10th team be located back then ?

I dont know what the 50s and 60s looked like much but as has been mentioned I would have gone with a TTG/Modbury team, ironically even thought North have a lot of support out there it would have probably hurt Norwood more.

Going to school and playing footy in the area in the mid 80-90's, Norwood and Port were by far the biggest supporter groups, with North comfortably next in line. A smattering of South, Torrens, Sturt and Woodville (believe it or not). Can't recall any Bays, Westies or Centrals fans. Even though there had been a couple like the Krieg's from the area play for Centrals, my impressions were the area didn't identify with Centrals.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 173 times

Postby robranisgod » Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:14 pm

FlyingHigh wrote:
Wedgie wrote:
mal wrote:
Wedgie wrote:Noarlunga Centre was only built in the 70s. Was stuff all down there except for Christie's and Port Noarlunga.
Wouldn't have been viable for a team down there till the 90s.

Without knowing which areas were aligned to which clubs in the mid 50s
Was there anywhere else deepish south for an Sanfl expansion ?
What about Mclaren Vale areas ?
Or could they have formed a team in the Adelaide Hills ?

If i go back down the hill and use say Reynella for a team, that might be a GL area back then ?
Having a team not deep enough south of town might bugger up GL ?

We had CD formed
Where else could a 10th team be located back then ?

I dont know what the 50s and 60s looked like much but as has been mentioned I would have gone with a TTG/Modbury team, ironically even thought North have a lot of support out there it would have probably hurt Norwood more.

Going to school and playing footy in the area in the mid 80-90's, Norwood and Port were by far the biggest supporter groups, with North comfortably next in line. A smattering of South, Torrens, Sturt and Woodville (believe it or not). Can't recall any Bays, Westies or Centrals fans. Even though there had been a couple like the Krieg's from the area play for Centrals, my impressions were the area didn't identify with Centrals.

We will never know, but if West Torrens had shifted to the Tea Tree Gully area, do you think the locals would have developed more of an affinity with the club? It was a long way to drive to Thebarton from Tea Tree Gully. Was there some thought to developing Modbury Oval as Torrens home base?
robranisgod
League - Best 21

Postby mal » Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:24 pm

FH
I lived in a WT zone in the 1960s, yet about 60% of the kids barracked for PA in primary school, and about 20% WT barrckers
In high school when i was in the WV zone, ends up mostly PA barrackers, and a splattering of supPORT for the other clubs
I cannot recall anyone at the schools I attended being a WV barracker , despite going to a school named Woodville !

Greg Anderson eventually ended up at Woodville High School
He did so to qualIfy to play for PA otherwise under an archiac ruling that exsisted at the time , that he was obliged to play for St Michaels College rather then being able to play for PA
mal
Coach

Postby mal » Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:03 pm

mal wrote:1939 Grand Final
PA 16-28
WT 11-11

Brick Hoffman played for PA, his daughter was a star squash player, Vicki Caldwell
Claude Greening played for PA his grandsons Brett, Paul and Roger James all played at Norwood

1930 11522
1931 11349
1932 11712
1933 12955
1934 13756
1935 13465
1936 14423
1937 13357
1938 13928
1939 14597

What I do know about 1939 is it was a very hot Adelaide summer, and off course the start of a world conflict

A possible reason for the higher scoring in 1939 , they brought back the boundary throw in
mal
Coach

Postby robranisgod » Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:30 pm

mal wrote:
mal wrote:1939 Grand Final
PA 16-28
WT 11-11

1930 11522
1931 11349
1932 11712
1933 12955
1934 13756
1935 13465
1936 14423
1937 13357
1938 13928
1939 14597

A possible reason for the higher scoring in 1939 , they brought back the boundary throw in

A lot of Ken Farmer detractors, cue G Cornes, maintain he only scored as many goals as he did because of the last touch free kick. Your stat gives a lie to that, Mal.
robranisgod
League - Best 21

Postby mal » Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:35 am

Ken Farmer
1929-62
1930-105
1931-126
1932-102
1933-112
1934-106
1935-128
1936-134
1937-108
1938-112
1939-113
1940 123
1941-86

1417 goals in only 242 games at an average of 6-3
The amazing thing is that in his SANFL career they only played 17 Minor round game seasons
in Ken Farmers 13 seasons NA only made the finals 5 times
From 1934-1941 NA made the finals once, yet Ken Farmer kicked 100 in each season until his last, when he only scored a pitiful 86 ...
In 1929 -1935 no teams scored 2000 points in the Minor round, the best was PA 1916 points in the year of 1934
Ken Farmer is clearly the best performed forward to have played in the SANFL

I think there is only one other forward who averaged 5+ in his SANFL career, that was NW forward Bruce Schultz
669 goals in only 124 matches
In 1941 Bruce Schultz kicked his 100th goal against WA in only round 13 ,
He got his ton in the first quarter, and was injured soon after, and never played again, aged 28
Norwood played another 7 matches including finals , Bruce averaged 5.4 goals in his career
If we do the maths, and he kept up his career average, he could have kicked another 37 goals for the season
That would have him scoring the most goals in a SANFL season at that time , surpassing Ken Farmers 134 goals in 1936

Imagine how many goals a season these guys would have kicked had they played 22 matches a season
In 1983 it was a 22 game season- and it featured 4 centurions
149 Rick Jumbo Davies
111 Neville Rocky Roberts
109 Grenville Dietrich
101 Roger Luders

Those 4 players also scored some of those goals in the 1983 SANFL finals
After 22 rounds
130 Davies
100 Roberts
99 Dietrich
94 Luders

The stat that shows how good Farmer and Schultz were
There was 24966 points scored in the 1983 minor round
The highest in Farmers career was 14597 in a minor round

I wonder how long the quarters went for in the 1930s ?
mal
Coach

Postby FlyingHigh » Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:28 am

robranisgod wrote:
FlyingHigh wrote:
Wedgie wrote:I dont know what the 50s and 60s looked like much but as has been mentioned I would have gone with a TTG/Modbury team, ironically even thought North have a lot of support out there it would have probably hurt Norwood more.

We will never know, but if West Torrens had shifted to the Tea Tree Gully area, do you think the locals would have developed more of an affinity with the club? It was a long way to drive to Thebarton from Tea Tree Gully. Was there some thought to developing Modbury Oval as Torrens home base?

If it was done in the early 70's I think it would have taken off. Before Torrens had too long in mediocrity and before the Gullies in particular, and Modbury to a lesser extent, became as big clubs as they did during the '80s onwards (I'm not sure of their history before this, but the Gullies were around div 5-6 when i started juniors there).
Given teen culture in the 70's and 80's, the quintessential Australian comfortable new middle-class suburbs and not having the English/soccer factor anywhere as much as the Elizabeth area I reckon it would have been a success. And things obviously snowball, because some of those players you've mentioned in previous posts would have been more inclined to go there if it was a successful, popular, more local club rather than leaving your area and crossing the city to play for a team that was struggling.
Heard there were plans for Pertargina but not sure how definite they were or if that was part of the broader discussion
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 173 times

Postby RB » Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:00 pm

mal wrote:Ken Farmer
1929-62
1930-105
1931-126
1932-102
1933-112
1934-106
1935-128
1936-134
1937-108
1938-112
1939-113
1940 123
1941-86

1417 goals in only 242 games at an average of 6-3

I always thought it was 1,419 goals for North plus 81 in state games making a total of 1,500.

However Wikipedia, the SANFL website and the NAFC History site all say different things. Perhaps RIG can confirm the correct figures.

What I do know is that he put 23 past Torrens in 1940.

Rather than his goalscoring having much to do with the out-of-bounds rule, I think he probably benefited from his marking ability in an era which favoured taller rather than shorter forwards, in contrast to the far lower-scoring early part of the twentieth century.

A phenomenally consistent effort considering that, as you pointed out Mal, in most seasons he wouldn't have played more than 17 matches.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 759 times
Been liked: 1073 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL History Forum