Batsman tonk 302 in 40 over game

Local cricket is the go here. Any talk about local comps, grade cricket, etc.

Batsman tonk 302 in 40 over game

Postby Bluedemon » Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:08 pm

THE impressive part for Josh Platt was how many cricket balls they fetched from the long grass once he'd dispatched them there.

"The amount of times it went into the paddock next to the ground, every time they managed to come back with it," Platt said.

"I was surprised they only lost the one."

Everyone else at Young North Oval last weekend, it must be noted, was far more impressed with Platt; a battling country cricketer soon to be known the Tendulkar of the bush.

In a 40-over game last Saturday for the Young Blues against cross-town rivals Young Power, Platt scored an astonishing 302 from just 110 balls.Scorekeepers could only shake their head as the 27-year-old clattered 30 sixes - most into the paddock - for 180 runs, and 18 boundaries.

Platt's first century came after 15 overs, and his double just seven overs later.The Blues scored 3-458 in 40 overs and unsurprisingly, snuck home against the Power.

"To be honest mate, I just got my eye in after the first 10 balls. I was seeing them like basketballs," Platt told The Daily Telegraph yesterday. "I just lucky too I suppose. I had a chance on 180."

But wait ... the story only gets better. Platt is not even a batsman. He's a fast bowler, who normally takes the new ball for both the Blues and the Young senior rep team.

But with one of the Blues' opening batsman injured, and his replacement running late for the 1pm start, Platt - a middle order blade at best - was told to pad up and fill in.

No worries, thought Platt. He hit a six first ball.

"Me and my mate, my opening partner, we went in said: "If we play sensible, we can get hundreds here today"," Platt said.

"That was the plan."

His partner would score 91 but Platt was hitting them so flush he realised his innings could be Stick Cricket-big. By the time Platt blinked he was 50 and the Power's pace attack kept putting the ball in his zone.

"I had a couple of young quicks bowling and they just kept trying to hit me in the head," he said.

"I love the pull-shot mate, so I just hooked and pulled most of my sixes I think."

A kiddy oval and rubbish bowlers, right? Neither, said Young cricket official Luke Eldridge.

The Power's quicks were rep-standard and other than one short boundary, the ground is "a decent size", he said.

In 80 senior matches of Young cricket on that oval and three others last summer, there wasn't a single century.

The only hundred was scored in a seven-a-side game - by Josh Platt.

Eldridge arrived late on Saturday to watch Platt, but only saw him swat his last six and then come off.

"He wasn't even sweating," Eldridge said. "He goes: 'I didn't do a great deal of running mate'."

Platt, a young father and machinery spare parts man, backed up to take 3-15 the next day opening the bowling for Young the next day against Cootamundra.

In time it will change, but Platt can barely register his triple-century achievement, or the attention he's getting.

Right now Platt empathises more with the Power's bowlers.

"They were all a bit disheartened after the first 10-12 overs, to be honest," he says.

"It was a long day for the poor buggers."
SAFooty.net, where you hear the community football news first
Bluedemon
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 97 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Re: Batsman tonk 302 in 40 over game

Postby cheetah » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:14 am

wow an incrediable feat! I hope this brings up some other tails of massive scores. who cares about small oval sizes or bowling attacks you still need 2 score the runs
9km training
cheetah
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Solomontown

Postby Sonofbrowny25 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:35 am

i would love to see that scorecard
Sonofbrowny25
Under 18s

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 25 times

Postby Smashed Crab » Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:47 pm

cheetah wrote:wow an incrediable feat! I hope this brings up some other tails of massive scores. who cares about small oval sizes or bowling attacks you still need 2 score the runs

Was only last season on the Eyre Peninsula Tommy Davey smashed 315 in a 40 over game. 17 zacks over the fence. Backed it up with a hatrick bowling.
Smashed Crab
Rookie

Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 46 times

Postby cheetah » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:46 am

Smashed Crab wrote:
cheetah wrote:wow an incrediable feat! I hope this brings up some other tails of massive scores. who cares about small oval sizes or bowling attacks you still need 2 score the runs

Was only last season on the Eyre Peninsula Tommy Davey smashed 315 in a 40 over game. 17 zacks over the fence. Backed it up with a hatrick bowling.

which just had a bloke smash 180 in a 35 over match. not 2 shaw of finer details but scored 140 in his first match.
9km training
cheetah
Under 16s

Postby country nomad » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:01 pm

Pt Augusta cricketer Shane Cox smashed a quick fire 139 for Willsden against Central Stirling the other weekend in A-Grade cricket. He opened the batting and was dismissed in the 34th over, leaving another 15 overs for his team mates to have a good crack as well. Willsden finished up with the impressive score of 367 off their 50 overs. And they obviously won very easily.
country nomad

Board index   Other Sports  Regional Cricket Comps