ATCA

Local cricket is the go here. Any talk about local comps, grade cricket, etc.

Re: ATCA

Postby Reilly » Tue May 09, 2017 11:37 am

Trader wrote:If a coach is doing more than 20 hours a week for 25 weeks, something is wrong IMO.
Either the committee (for off field issues), or the captains (for on field stuff) need to start pulling their weight a bit more.

I would be interested to know what your coach does each week to fill that much time.

It's not an expectation at all and he does it all off his own bat. He'll be setting up for training before 5 and have the lads out there til just on dark. On game day if we're playing at home is often there at 8:30 in the morning. He sets everything up and ensure the players have to do as little as possible. It's his thing and he chooses to do it himself. He definitely goes above and beyond expectation and it's not something the club have asked him to do. Never met a bigger cricket tragic and I'm sure others that know him from other clubs will reaffirm this! Top bloke though and definitely the best coach in terms of his knowledge and passion that I have ever had.
Reilly

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 4 times
Grassroots Team: Flinders Park

Postby No kidding » Tue May 09, 2017 4:15 pm

Trader wrote:Yeah does depend on what the role is.

If you were doing the bare minimum, for a club with only senior teams 1 3 hour session on 6 sundays for preseason, then 6-8 Tuesday, 6-9 (inc selection) on Thursdays, 12-7 on Saturdays for 24 weeks = 306 hours over the season. $8,000 = $26/hr, possibly tax free depending on what you negotiated.

Other coaches will get more involved, do a longer preseason, that includes a mid-week indoor session as well as sunday, hang around a bit more after trainings and games, might get involved in finding players week to week, and dealing with general club politics, etc, might push them up closer to 450 or 500 hours a season, in which case the hourly rate drops towards $15.

Clubs with juniors means more sessions per week, and time on sundays as well, but those sort of clubs will often pay more than $8,000 too.

That said, there are also some clubs out there that would be having coaches do 400 hours, and only getting 4-5k. They are the ones certainly doing it for the love of the game.

Who is paying 8k for a coach in ATCA ???
No kidding

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 16 times

Postby Trader » Tue May 09, 2017 4:46 pm

A few of the A1 coaches are around that mark.

Assume a club has 5 sides, 60 players, $400 subs = 24k

$8,000 to a coach.
$5,500 on balls (5 teams, 15 balls per team @ $75/ball)
$2,500 to A-grade umpires (20 weeks at $125)
$2,000 to a scorer (20 weeks at $100) - often clubs will have an old fella happy to do it for less.
$3,000 to ATCA for affiliation, insurance, etc
$7,500 on grounds (20 weeks, 2.5 grounds, @ $150 per week) - many clubs the council will cover some/all of this, or schools for old scholars teams, etc.
---------

Leaves you only 4500 to make in sponsorship, fundraising etc. Most clubs can easily do that without blinking, leaving surplus for social events.

Clubs with bars or pokies make stacks more.
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 61 times
Been liked: 810 times

Postby WellLeft » Tue May 09, 2017 5:01 pm

Trader wrote:
$7,500 on grounds (20 weeks, 2.5 grounds, @ $150 per week) - many clubs the council will cover some/all of this, or schools for old scholars teams, etc.

This number seems low to me.
WellLeft
Mini-League

Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Greenacres

Postby Trader » Tue May 09, 2017 5:17 pm

WellLeft wrote:
Trader wrote:$7,500 on grounds (20 weeks, 2.5 grounds, @ $150 per week) - many clubs the council will cover some/all of this, or schools for old scholars teams, etc.

This number seems low to me.

Guess it depends a bit on what your set up is.
Is it a primary school oval that you play on in the afternoon? - You'd get it dirt cheap.
Is it an oval in the parklands, pepper corn lease + curator fees.
Is it a fully functional sports complex complete with clubrooms etc - you'll likely be up for more.
Do you outsource to a contractor to prepare the deck? Does the Council do it and backcharge you? Do you have an old clubbie who sits on a roller for the chance to get out of the house and away from the wife?
Trader
Assistant Coach

Postby threestars » Wed May 10, 2017 1:21 pm

Reilly wrote:
Trader wrote:If a coach is doing more than 20 hours a week for 25 weeks, something is wrong IMO.
Either the committee (for off field issues), or the captains (for on field stuff) need to start pulling their weight a bit more.

I would be interested to know what your coach does each week to fill that much time.

It's not an expectation at all and he does it all off his own bat. He'll be setting up for training before 5 and have the lads out there til just on dark. On game day if we're playing at home is often there at 8:30 in the morning. He sets everything up and ensure the players have to do as little as possible. It's his thing and he chooses to do it himself. He definitely goes above and beyond expectation and it's not something the club have asked him to do. Never met a bigger cricket tragic and I'm sure others that know him from other clubs will reaffirm this! Top bloke though and definitely the best coach in terms of his knowledge and passion that I have ever had.

Could not agree more....rocking up last year and seeing Flinders Park using mini hurdles for warm up, five different fielding drills, bowling markers etc all for pre game for an A3 team on 3/4 of the oval....someone would say is overkill but they've moved up to A2 and good luck to them!
threestars
Rookie

Been liked: 3 times

Postby Senor Moto Gadili » Wed May 10, 2017 3:28 pm

No kidding wrote:
Trader wrote:Yeah does depend on what the role is.

If you were doing the bare minimum, for a club with only senior teams 1 3 hour session on 6 sundays for preseason, then 6-8 Tuesday, 6-9 (inc selection) on Thursdays, 12-7 on Saturdays for 24 weeks = 306 hours over the season. $8,000 = $26/hr, possibly tax free depending on what you negotiated.

Other coaches will get more involved, do a longer preseason, that includes a mid-week indoor session as well as sunday, hang around a bit more after trainings and games, might get involved in finding players week to week, and dealing with general club politics, etc, might push them up closer to 450 or 500 hours a season, in which case the hourly rate drops towards $15.

Clubs with juniors means more sessions per week, and time on sundays as well, but those sort of clubs will often pay more than $8,000 too.

That said, there are also some clubs out there that would be having coaches do 400 hours, and only getting 4-5k. They are the ones certainly doing it for the love of the game.

Who is paying 8k for a coach in ATCA ???

I doubt that any of the Clubs that are advertising for a Coach have budgeted anywhere near that amount for a non playing Coach. Maybe, they could justify somewhere near that amount if they had an applicant who was a gun player who took on Coach/A Grade Captain, but even then $8K is a lot
Senor Moto Gadili
Veteran

Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 534 times

Postby Reilly » Wed May 10, 2017 3:37 pm

threestars wrote:
Reilly wrote:

Could not agree more....rocking up last year and seeing Flinders Park using mini hurdles for warm up, five different fielding drills, bowling markers etc all for pre game for an A3 team on 3/4 of the oval....someone would say is overkill but they've moved up to A2 and good luck to them!

There's certainly been a few comments from opposition teams when they've seen this :lol: We do have a very young A grade though most of whom have come straight from junior district clubs and his structure and the discipline he commands has made their transition pretty seamless for them coming to an Adelaide Turf club.
Reilly

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 4 times
Grassroots Team: Flinders Park

Postby tigerpie » Wed May 10, 2017 4:56 pm

Trader wrote:A few of the A1 coaches are around that mark.

$8,000 to a coach.
$2,000 to a scorer (20 weeks at $100) - often clubs will have an old fella happy to do it for less.
---------

Leaves you only 4500 to make in sponsorship, fundraising etc. Most clubs can easily do that without blinking, leaving surplus for social events.

Whos paying $7500 for doing 2 wicket blocks for 26 weeks not 20?
Great deal!
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 546 times
Been liked: 478 times

Postby Trader » Wed May 10, 2017 5:08 pm

Anyone that is smart enough to pair up with someone who is playing morning cricket. 1 deck prepared and shared between two games!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Postby Senor Moto Gadili » Wed May 10, 2017 5:23 pm

tigerpie wrote:
Trader wrote:A few of the A1 coaches are around that mark.

$8,000 to a coach.
---------

Whos paying $7500 for doing 2 wicket blocks for 26 weeks not 20?
Great deal!

We would be well under that mark, but if our curators read this it might change.....ssshhhhh!
Senor Moto Gadili
Veteran

Postby Whatsfordinner » Wed May 10, 2017 5:35 pm

What's a weekly curating wage at other clubs?
Our curator last year saw $140 a week + Extra for t20s. And I know he put in the time and effort.. and think he is seeking more this year or won't be continuing..
Whatsfordinner

Been liked: 3 times

Postby The Bedge » Wed May 10, 2017 5:37 pm

Senor Moto Gadili wrote:We would be well under that mark, but if our curators read this it might change.....ssshhhhh!

Aren't you one of the curators? ;)
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3216 times
Been liked: 4124 times

Postby Senor Moto Gadili » Wed May 10, 2017 5:41 pm

Zartan wrote:
Senor Moto Gadili wrote:We would be well under that mark, but if our curators read this it might change.....ssshhhhh!

Aren't you one of the curators? ;)

Oh yeah....in that case I'm going to ask for double what I was paid this year.
Last edited by Senor Moto Gadili on Wed May 10, 2017 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Senor Moto Gadili
Veteran

Postby Senor Moto Gadili » Wed May 10, 2017 5:44 pm

Whatsfordinner wrote:What's a weekly curating wage at other clubs?
Our curator last year saw $140 a week + Extra for t20s. And I know he put in the time and effort.. and think he is seeking more this year or won't be continuing..

For our main deck we pay a flat fee for the season which works out pretty similar to that. The hourly rate is pretty low and nobody does it to get rich.
Senor Moto Gadili
Veteran

Postby The Bedge » Wed May 10, 2017 6:01 pm

Senor Moto Gadili wrote:

For our main deck we pay a flat fee for the season which works out pretty similar to that. The hourly rate is pretty low and nobody does it to get rich.

You also don't prep for extra games on the main deck.. :P
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3216 times
Been liked: 4124 times

Postby Senor Moto Gadili » Wed May 10, 2017 6:12 pm

Zartan wrote:
Senor Moto Gadili wrote:

You also don't prep for extra games on the main deck.. :P

Haha....you need to let that one go. We have hosted quite a few Association games over the past few years....he's just not keen on preparing a pitch midweek for a practice match
Senor Moto Gadili
Veteran

Postby daysofourlives » Wed May 10, 2017 9:28 pm

I know in the B&L where 9 clubs have turf decks there is only one club that pays someone. One other is able to do wicket prep during work hours as his employer is a sponsor. The rest are purely players/volunteers.
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2457 times
Been liked: 1683 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu May 11, 2017 3:59 pm

daysofourlives wrote:

I know in the B&L where 9 clubs have turf decks there is only one club that pays someone. One other is able to do wicket prep during work hours as his employer is a sponsor. The rest are purely players/volunteers.

Same in the Riverland when I played there - players/volunteers. I spent many on our on a roller, which we'd bought off the council. Prior to that we had a roller that we had to push up and down the length of the pitch. It was relaxing in some ways.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Port Pirie Power » Thu May 11, 2017 6:57 pm

Steve Marks from Northerns signed at Pooraka
Josh Rosenthal from Port headed to Woody Recs

Any other movements?
Port Pirie Power
Rookie