Adelaide Hills Cricket (HCA, TVCA & A&EH)

Local cricket is the go here. Any talk about local comps, grade cricket, etc.

Re: Adelaide Hills Cricket (HCA, TVCA & A&EH) 2014/15.

Postby jackpot jim » Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:26 pm

Dutchy wrote:
batmanbegins wrote:
Kangys appear to have been robbed of victory against mt lofty, although it may have been their fault if they were to slow to get through the overs. It appears with 2 overs to go the game was called off due to time, with kangys in a strong position. Lofty would be disappointed not to get the chocolates against kangys but kangarilla appear to be getting their full side back and have some serious talent out on the park.

I believe Kangy's own fault, they were never going to get thru the overs and when Lofty lost a couple of wickets it made sense to shut up shop for the last 2 overs. After the Semi final debacle last year I would have thought the rules would be adjusted to allow for play to continue when a result is so close as long as light and conditions are fine.

So what happened?
Could you please explain the situation a bit clearer.
Is there a time limit to bowl overs?
jackpot jim
Coach

Has liked: 340 times
Been liked: 452 times

Postby saintal » Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:41 pm

6:30 is the "official" close of play in TVCA (used to be 7pm). Any game still running at this stage is declared a draw (if a result hasn't already been determined).

Having said that I cant remember a time in recent years where the rule has been enforced, and post 6:30 finishes are not unusual.

A few of the older guys tell stories about the days when stalling for time was the norm, especially when we were in the HCA.
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Has liked: 348 times
Been liked: 431 times

Postby daysofourlives » Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:53 pm

saintal wrote:6:30 is the "official" close of play in TVCA (used to be 7pm). Any game still running at this stage is declared a draw (if a result hasn't already been determined).

Having said that I cant remember a time in recent years where the rule has been enforced, and post 6:30 finishes are not unusual.

A few of the older guys tell stories about the days when stalling for time was the norm, especially when we were in the HCA.

We used to have that situation in the B&L of stalling for time so we just changed it too 75 overs must be bowled on each day, now teams rush through their overs to get them done early. We start at 1pm and most teams have bowled their overs by 5 30- 5 45.
It also used to be 75 overs minimum in a day and you had to keep bowling to a certain time so potentially might bowl 80 overs or adopt the aforementioned go slow policy
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2425 times
Been liked: 1663 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby jackpot jim » Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:30 pm

daysofourlives wrote:
saintal wrote:6:30 is the "official" close of play in TVCA (used to be 7pm). Any game still running at this stage is declared a draw (if a result hasn't already been determined).

We used to have that situation in the B&L of stalling for time so we just changed it too 75 overs must be bowled on each day, now teams rush through their overs to get them done early. We start at 1pm and most teams have bowled their overs by 5 30- 5 45.
It also used to be 75 overs minimum in a day and you had to keep bowling to a certain time so potentially might bowl 80 overs or adopt the aforementioned go slow policy

So how many overs in a day in HCA and what time do they start?
A&EHCA bowl 70 overs and start at 1.00pm. Generally finished before 5.30pm
Unless more than 30 minutes is lost to weather, 70 overs to be bowled.
If more than 30 minutes lost to weather, stumps shall be drawn at 6.30pm unless both captains agree to play on til overs are completed or too dark.
Have never had a problem as far as i can remember with this.
With last Saturday being a fine day, how does the required amount of overs not be bowled by 6.30pm ???????
jackpot jim
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:08 pm

It was a one day game 40 overs each starting at 1pm. If both teams bat their overs it is always going to be tight.

Last year in the Semi Final Lofty were all over Uraidla but lost half hour due to rain which meant if Uraidla could force a draw, by Lofty not bowling their full 70 overs, they would proceed to the GF due to finishing higher.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2333 times
Been liked: 3566 times

Postby jackpot jim » Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:41 pm

Dutchy wrote:It was a one day game 40 overs each starting at 1pm. If both teams bat their overs it is always going to be tight.

Last year in the Semi Final Lofty were all over Uraidla but lost half hour due to rain which meant if Uraidla could force a draw, by Lofty not bowling their full 70 overs, they would proceed to the GF due to finishing higher.

Cant believe 80 overs take to 6.30 pm. What the hell are they doing?
Pretty sure our 6.30pm finish in A&EHCA only applies to 2 day matches.
In 1 day matches the overs are just played out and cant remember ever finishing later than 6.30 anyway.
Must be something seriously wrong if teams are that slow. What are the umpires doing? Not their problem i suppose
but it sounds a ridiculous scenario.
jackpot jim
Coach

Postby saintal » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:20 pm

TVCA games start at 1:15. 6:30+ finishes are more common in the B's rather than A's- Plenty of sundries. Unnecessary drinks/smoke break at 20 over mark. Matches not starting on time. No umpire to hurry things along. Then you have a few grounds (i.e Lenswood) where hunting for lost balls kills time.

Having said that still get some A grade games going close to 6:30, especially when both teams score 160+.
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Has liked: 348 times
Been liked: 431 times

Postby Ramrod » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:35 am

As jackpot Said another 3 interesting games in the A&EHCA A Grade. Nairne V Woodside. Well to be honest i have been the biggest critic of woodsides batting and after saturday i still am a critic. To be roughly 2/220 then get bowled out for 260, is nothing short of appauling. Obviously some credit has to go to Nairne, in saying that it was rather warm on saturday and when you have a team on the ropes like they did, you need to take advantage and they didnt. Woodside have let this slip and i'm backing Nairne to get up from here. Ashbourne vs Lobey. Well Ashbourne let a great opportunity slip again, had Lobey 6/90, and allowed lobey to make to 260. Well done to Hacket on making a ton. I think with the runs on the board, lobey to get up here. Wistow V Langhorne Creek. Again Langhorne's let it slip as well, 1/100 off 20 overs on the Hill is a terrific start but then to be bowled out for 180 against a fairly poor bowling attack is terrible. I think they still will win, but if they dont they will be kicking themselves.
Dont Hate me cause you Aint me.
Ramrod
Rookie

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 10 times
Grassroots Team: Imperials

Postby Armytank » Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:34 pm

jackpot jim wrote:
Dutchy wrote:It was a one day game 40 overs each starting at 1pm. If both teams bat their overs it is always going to be tight.

In 1 day matches the overs are just played out and cant remember ever finishing later than 6.30 anyway.
Must be something seriously wrong if teams are that slow. What are the umpires doing? Not their problem i suppose

I believe bot sides were told at 6 o'clock that the game still had 9 overs to be bowled and that the game will be complete at 6:30.

Kangarilla only have themselves to blame.

It is also a technicality, but the game was actually a two day game that was shortened due to rain on the first day. There are seperate laws in a seperate section for these one day games, they do not fall under a normal one day game.

I believe that under the laws Kangarilla will also be fined 0.25% of their points for failing to bowl the required overs in time.
I hate Full Back.....................
Armytank
Under 18s

Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 21 times
Grassroots Team: Ironbank

Postby Roxy the Rat Girl » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:16 pm

Armytank wrote:
jackpot jim wrote:

I believe bot sides were told at 6 o'clock that the game still had 9 overs to be bowled and that the game will be complete at 6:30.

Kangarilla only have themselves to blame.

It is also a technicality, but the game was actually a two day game that was shortened due to rain on the first day. There are seperate laws in a seperate section for these one day games, they do not fall under a normal one day game.

I believe that under the laws Kangarilla will also be fined 0.25% of their points for failing to bowl the required overs in time.

Wow, loss of points as well :shock: Lost the game, lost additional points, bet they feel pretty p@#%ed off. They'll probably play 4 spinners next week.
"cricket is the most important activity in men's lives, the most important thread in the fabric of the cosmos"
Roxy the Rat Girl
Under 18s

Has liked: 41 times
Been liked: 34 times
Grassroots Team: Langhorne Creek

Postby batmanbegins » Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:23 pm

Another important week of cricket in the HCA this week;

Aldgate v meadows at aldgate. We could be in for one of the largest scores ever seen in hills cricket if meadows get going on the postage stamp of aldgate and against a pop gun attack, the meadows boys will be licking there lips and will post over 300 comfortably. Aldgate will make a few as thy have some decent bats but no chance are they beating meadows. Meadows by a lot.

SCIBS v uraidla big game for uri as they cant afford to lose their 3rd game of the year and expect a big score from dyl brown who hasnt made many this year. Scibs bowling will have to lift to stop him and their batting will be up against a gd bowling line up led by young kepa. Uraidla in a close one.

Happy valley v flaggies big game for both sides as they have to play some harder games on the run home, Turnbull and middleton the keys for happys but margitch is hard to play on their home ground. Dont know much bout flaggies but im tipping happy at home.

Stirling v lofty stirling blew a chance to beat scibs last week and will be looking to make up for it against the red caps. Alot depends on Gonzalez with the bat amd whether shaw plays for their bowling, whilst lofty have a bit more depth with the bat they rely on Sinclair and bennet with the ball so depends if stirling can see them off. Lofty in a close one.
batmanbegins
Reserves

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 187 times

Postby Roxy the Rat Girl » Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:48 am

After an unforecast overnight downpour of approximately 15mm at Ashbourne and the U16s match being abandoned in the morning as the pitch was too wet and unsafe, Ashbourne, under protest, were forced to bat on a pudding of a pitch you could literally push your finger into. Ashbourne made a valiant 164 chasing 260 with the end result being a good win for Lobethal who have not dropped a match this season. The pitch, which was considered the best of the four wickets, is now extremely damaged and may not be playable for the remainder of the season. It is disappointing that no consideration seemed to be given to the longer term impact play would have on such a wet pitch not to mention the safety of the players.

Other results?
Last edited by Roxy the Rat Girl on Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"cricket is the most important activity in men's lives, the most important thread in the fabric of the cosmos"
Roxy the Rat Girl
Under 18s

Postby Ramrod » Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:25 pm

Roxy the Rat Girl wrote:After an unforecast overnight downpour of approximately 15mm at Ashbourne and the U16s match being abandoned in the morning as the pitch was too wet and unsafe, Ashbourne, under protest, were forced to bat on a pudding of a pitch you could literally push your finger into. Ashbourne made a valiant 164 chasing 260 with the end result being a good win for Lobethal who have not dropped a match this season. The pitch, which was considered the best of the four wickets, is now extremely damaged and may not be playable for the remainder of the season. It is disappointing that no consideration seemed to be given to the longer term impact play would have on such a wet pitch, not to mention the safety of the players.

Other results?

Not good for Ashbourne after reading your post Roxy. Problem is the umpires in our comp don't have enough you know what to call off the game.So congrats to Lobey by default. Woodside defeated Nairne convincingly by looking the scores. I feel sorry for Langhorne creek next game cause Nairne will not be happy at all. Also I see Wistow got there first win against a disappointing Creek side. What happened Jackpot?
Dont Hate me cause you Aint me.
Ramrod
Rookie

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 10 times
Grassroots Team: Imperials

Postby Roxy the Rat Girl » Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:32 pm

Ramrod wrote:Also I see Wistow got there first win against a disappointing Creek side. What happened Jackpot?

I think it was difficult batting on any wicket in the hills yesterday given the conditions.
Roxy the Rat Girl
Under 18s

Postby jackpot jim » Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:10 pm

Ramrod wrote:
Roxy the Rat Girl wrote:After an unforecast overnight downpour of approximately 15mm at Ashbourne and the U16s match being abandoned in the morning as the pitch was too wet and unsafe, Ashbourne, under protest, were forced to bat on a pudding of a pitch you could literally push your finger into. Ashbourne made a valiant 164 chasing 260 with the end result being a good win for Lobethal who have not dropped a match this season. The pitch, which was considered the best of the four wickets, is now extremely damaged and may not be playable for the remainder of the season. It is disappointing that no consideration seemed to be given to the longer term impact play would have on such a wet pitch, not to mention the safety of the players.

Other results?

Not good for Ashbourne after reading your post Roxy. Problem is the umpires in our comp don't have enough you know what to call off the game.So congrats to Lobey by default. Woodside defeated Nairne convincingly by looking the scores. I feel sorry for Langhorne creek next game cause Nairne will not be happy at all. Also I see Wistow got there first win against a disappointing Creek side. What happened Jackpot?

Stuff Nairne! Creeks have more reason to be unhappy.
A terrible performance with the bat the 1st week always had the Creeks behind the 8 ball in this match.
Having said that, 184 would still have been enough for the Creeks to defend had they not inexplicably dropped a handfull of catches.
Wistow showed what can happen if ALL the batsmen in the team are prepared to GUTs it out. They rode their luck and were able to limp and crawl across the line for a deserving win. Creeks quickly took the ascendancy early on Day 2 taking 3/8 off the 1st 9 overs to have Wistow reeling but the Creeks failed to hold a number over relatively simple chances during the afternoon and paid the full price. Wistow still needed 30 with only 2 wickets in hand but held their nerve to get the win. Kinlough with 89 was the backbone for the Wistow Innnings Whilst Golding for the Creeks was brilliant with 4/22 off 24 overs which is amazing figures on the lightning Wistow hill. Youngster Jedd Rothe proved he will be a STAR of the future with 3/34 off 19. Will be interesting what team the Creeks come up with this week against Nairne. Golding generally has it all over the Wistow batsmen so could hold the key if he recovers from his exhausting stint yesterday.

In regards to the wet pitch at Ashbourne.
Without seeing it it's impossible to form a proper opinion of it.
Whether pitches are playable or not when rain affected has always been a bone of contention and always will be.
Umpires cant win what ever decision they make. one team will always be upset.
I suppose the thing is that clubs with turf have no one to blame but themselves if they dont have covers and even more so if they dont put them on. I know its a pain and we at the Creek have been caught out several times over the decades with unforecast rain BUT if your own team is batting as in Ashbournes case, its hard to blame others.
If you havent got covers and it was genuinely too wet to play on, then i have sympathy for you guys.
Thing is with the pitch, whist it is ideal and generally is similar from one week to the next. the very nature of turf pitches is that variances should be expected from week to week due to weather conditions and things may not always be fair. No different to playing on hard wickets with one team may to to bowl with a wet ball whist the other doesnt. or field in 39c heat as against 22c. Thats just the luck of the draw.
From my vast experiences, wet / damp pitches may be tricky and difficult to bat on and teams can rightly feel unlucky to cop those conditions compared to a team that bats on a flat, dry, hard and true pitch but i have to say that i dont consider them dangerous.
The state of the pitch i'd be calling it off would be if batsmen OR bowlers were unable to confidently secure their footing running between wickets or bowling off a full run whilst wearing spikes. I have NO sympathy for players that wear rubbers on turf and complain they cant hold their feet.
Other circumstance as Roxy has mentioned is if irrepairable damage is being done to the pitch.
As a former curator i would say that damage often looks a lot worse than what it is and generally within a few weeks you will hardly notice it.

With Woodsides win over Nairne, it would seem that the 4 may already be set sadly at such an early stage of the season.
Having said that, i feel that at least Ashbourne and Creeks are still capable of upsetting higher ranked opponents to shape the 4. It would be a mild shock to see Wistow win too many more games. No disrespect to them, its just that they dont have the quality but they do try hard which can see you steal a win if the opponent turns up with their C game as the Creeks just did.
jackpot jim
Coach

Postby Roxy the Rat Girl » Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:30 pm

jackpot jim wrote:
Having said that, i feel that at least Ashbourne and Creeks are still capable of upsetting higher ranked opponents to shape the 4.

especially when we turn out our rooted pitch to play on before it has been mended ;)
Roxy the Rat Girl
Under 18s

Postby Roxy the Rat Girl » Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:42 pm

jackpot jim wrote:
In regards to the wet pitch at Ashbourne.
Without seeing it it's impossible to form a proper opinion of it.
Whether pitches are playable or not when rain affected has always been a bone of contention and always will be.
Umpires cant win what ever decision they make. one team will always be upset.
I suppose the thing is that clubs with turf have no one to blame but themselves if they dont have covers and even more so if they dont put them on. I know its a pain and we at the Creek have been caught out several times over the decades with unforecast rain BUT if your own team is batting as in Ashbournes case, its hard to blame others.
If you havent got covers and it was genuinely too wet to play on, then i have sympathy for you guys.
Thing is with the pitch, whist it is ideal and generally is similar from one week to the next. the very nature of turf pitches is that variances should be expected from week to week due to weather conditions and things may not always be fair. No different to playing on hard wickets with one team may to to bowl with a wet ball whist the other doesnt. or field in 39c heat as against 22c. Thats just the luck of the draw.
From my vast experiences, wet / damp pitches may be tricky and difficult to bat on and teams can rightly feel unlucky to cop those conditions compared to a team that bats on a flat, dry, hard and true pitch but i have to say that i dont consider them dangerous.
The state of the pitch i'd be calling it off would be if batsmen OR bowlers were unable to confidently secure their footing running between wickets or bowling off a full run whilst wearing spikes. I have NO sympathy for players that wear rubbers on turf and complain they cant hold their feet.
Other circumstance as Roxy has mentioned is if irrepairable damage is being done to the pitch.
As a former curator i would say that damage often looks a lot worse than what it is and generally within a few weeks you will hardly notice it.

I agree you take the luck of the draw in 2 day cricket (even in 1 dayers sometimes) and umpires are placed in a very difficult position but the morning match was called off due to the pitch conditions and rain, It continued to drizzle for most of the morning and up to the start of play and the pitch was so wet and spongey that a bloke pushed his thongs into it and left indents. Anyway we'll butter up again in the new year and fight on another day.
Roxy the Rat Girl
Under 18s

Postby jackpot jim » Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:11 pm

Talking to the umpire in question today and he suggested the Ashbourne captain was happy to play whilst another Ashbourne player wasnt.
Anyway, i assume the Poms would have felt right at home in the conditions and would have wondered what the fuss was about? Lol
jackpot jim
Coach

Postby jackpot jim » Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:15 pm

Roxy the Rat Girl wrote:
jackpot jim wrote:
Having said that, i feel that at least Ashbourne and Creeks are still capable of upsetting higher ranked opponents to shape the 4.

especially when we turn out our rooted pitch to play on before it has been mended ;)

Im sure Cuzzy wil have it back in A1 condition before you know it.
At least before the BIG Double Header Ladies day weekend on Feb 7th & 8th where the Creeks will be back to exact some revenge for last years dismal effort. :oops:
jackpot jim
Coach

Postby jackpot jim » Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:19 pm

Results of todays Country Living Homes T20 Championships Semi Finals at Langhorne Creek.
Meadows chased down Encounter Bays 137 with a few balls to spare.
South Gambier SMASHED Freeling.
The Semi Final playoff saw Meadows restricted to 99 off their 20 overs which South Gambier comfortably chased down easily 3 wickets down to progress to the Grand Final at Adelaide Oval.
jackpot jim
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Regional Cricket Comps