Grade Cricket

Local cricket is the go here. Any talk about local comps, grade cricket, etc.

Re: Grade Cricket

Postby heater31 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:26 pm

The Angry Bull wrote:
Eagles2014 wrote:
heater31 wrote:
Eagles2014 wrote:
WT shattered by this. As a Club you do all the right things, meet all the criteria like teams in all competitions (Mens/Womens), good Juniors, etc and only reason getting punished is location of Club!

From a West Torrens point of view you are the strongest out of those 3. Decent junior program and decent numbers in the seniors. The other 2 juniors struggle for numbers and have issues with numbers from time to time in the lower senior mens competition.

Typical SACA thinking selecting 3 clubs to thrash out a merger, yet the club that contributes the least to junior development gets off....

How true. common sense says it should be Uni gone, and their players get shared around. They have no juniors so makes perfect sense.

Unfortunately they have many powerful people at that club (lots of Lawyers and Barristers) and SACA wont take them on!

WT are being penalized for our location, we are turning players away to Community clubs in our area, for both Seniors and Juniors.

Yes it certainly helps when you have the director of public prosecution drafting your clubs correspondence.

If WT were forced to merge that would be a complete crock IMO. They meet all the requisite markers that SACA uses to guide the success of a grade club and put on a great spread for afternoon tea. On the other hand, and i say this firmly with tongue in cheek... it would be nice to see the back of them [emoji38]

Still could have went down the Cricket Australia path for the logic of scheduling u/19 matches.....apparently Pertaringa is too far ;)
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1265 times

Postby Eagles2014 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:24 pm

TTG oval too far, but they played at Rostrevor College??
Eagles2014
Veteran

Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 532 times

Postby Eagles2014 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:27 pm

The Angry Bull wrote:
Eagles2014 wrote:
heater31 wrote:
Eagles2014 wrote:
WT shattered by this. As a Club you do all the right things, meet all the criteria like teams in all competitions (Mens/Womens), good Juniors, etc and only reason getting punished is location of Club!

From a West Torrens point of view you are the strongest out of those 3. Decent junior program and decent numbers in the seniors. The other 2 juniors struggle for numbers and have issues with numbers from time to time in the lower senior mens competition.

Typical SACA thinking selecting 3 clubs to thrash out a merger, yet the club that contributes the least to junior development gets off....

How true. common sense says it should be Uni gone, and their players get shared around. They have no juniors so makes perfect sense.

Unfortunately they have many powerful people at that club (lots of Lawyers and Barristers) and SACA wont take them on!

WT are being penalized for our location, we are turning players away to Community clubs in our area, for both Seniors and Juniors.

Yes it certainly helps when you have the director of public prosecution drafting your clubs correspondence.

If WT were forced to merge that would be a complete crock IMO. They meet all the requisite markers that SACA uses to guide the success of a grade club and put on a great spread for afternoon tea. On the other hand, and i say this firmly with tongue in cheek... it would be nice to see the back of them :lol:

Will pass that on about Arvo tea, the Mums that do it will be happy as they take great pride in it!

At least if we merge with Port that will continue as they do an awesome job too (as for Woodville though..........??).
Eagles2014
Veteran

Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 532 times

Postby helicopterking » Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:30 pm

Jim05 wrote:
Eagles2014 wrote:Seems SACA have decided it is down to three Clubs who will not be part of the 1st Grade comp next year, basically this will kill of the Club if they only have a 2nd Grade team.

Believe it is out of West Torrens, Port and Woodville. SACA still pushing for a merger between two of these clubs. So looks like Adelaide, Uni and Prospect are safe.

Reason being given is too many Clubs in Western area.

I have heard that they are still looking at getting rid of two teams. Possible Port/Woodville merger and also Uni/Prospect

Not a lot of distance between Glenelg,Adelaide and Sturt either.
helicopterking
Coach

Has liked: 298 times
Been liked: 673 times

Postby heater31 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:14 pm

Eagles2014 wrote:TTG oval too far, but they played at Rostrevor College??

And Sacred Heart, Adelaide High :shock:
heater31

Postby C Horse » Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:40 pm

Eagles2014 wrote:Seems SACA have decided it is down to three Clubs who will not be part of the 1st Grade comp next year, basically this will kill of the Club if they only have a 2nd Grade team.

Believe it is out of West Torrens, Port and Woodville. SACA still pushing for a merger between two of these clubs. So looks like Adelaide, Uni and Prospect are safe.

Aren't WT the reason there's too many clubs in that area?
Moved into Henley, took the prime real estate for junior base although that hasn't stopped them trying to sign every junior in the state.

I would have thought that Port Adelaide are in the gun.
Facilities, juniors, relative success as a club - all at the lower end of the scale.
Can't see SACA relegating Woodville who have possibly the best facilities and are very much cashed up from what I hear.
SD, ND, Prospect, Uni, even Adelaide all very fortunate I feel.
C Horse
Rookie

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 12 times

Postby heater31 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:08 pm

C Horse wrote:

Moved into Henley, took the prime real estate for junior base although that hasn't stopped them trying to sign every junior in the state.

Facilities, juniors, relative success as a club - all at the lower end of the scale.
Can't see SACA relegating Woodville who have possibly the best facilities and are very much cashed up from what I hear.

West Torrens were at Thebarton so I doubt that would have saved them. Plus the wasn't the reason for relocation due to the tired facilities and moving more central to their Junior catchment?

Woodville have in the past few seasons began to struggle for Juniors, Port have struggled with them for even longer. This is probably why they are in the frame. The Long term future is not looking great for either club have poured money into the seniors to paper over the cracks. West Torrens could be a victim of their President being pro merger and courting Glenelg for a long time?
heater31

Postby mickey » Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:38 pm

C Horse wrote:

What facilities are Port lacking in???????????
mickey
Coach

Has liked: 140 times
Been liked: 314 times
Grassroots Team: Seaton Ramblers

Postby heater31 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:49 pm

mickey wrote:
C Horse wrote:

What facilities are Port lacking in???????????

Decent sized visitors changerooms ;)
heater31

Postby mickey » Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:50 pm

Blame that on Portland [FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY]
mickey
Coach

Postby helicopterking » Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:13 pm

C Horse wrote:

Southern Districts and Northern Districts are in no danger with the size of their areas.
helicopterking
Coach

Postby Aerie » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:10 pm

So the SACA are trying to fear WT and Woodville in to a merger? Two well run clubs with reasonable success in the last decade or so. Woodville particularly at A Grade level and WT more so throughout the grades, especially juniors, but have consistently played finals and won an A Grade premiership also. Kensington and Tea Tree Gully would be the measuring stick, but these two clubs aren't far behind in what you'd want from a Grade club I wouldn't have thought. Woodville very good financially and West Torrens as strong financially as they have been for a long time with a healthy relationship with the Henley Footy Club.

Not to mention the women. Scorpions just crowned Champions of Australia with both the coach and captain being from the women's set up at West Torrens.

Port Adelaide the back up plan to demote if WT and Woodville don't come to the party? Or do SACA defy logic and kill off WT or Woodville, despite their efforts?

I feel for the hard working volunteers of all 3 clubs who now have to give up even more time to satisfy SACA's threat of expulsion.

If the SACA is going to be ruthless, why not do the job properly and get to 8 or 10 clubs with a swift strike of the sword.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 153 times
Been liked: 513 times

Postby mickey » Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:59 am

helicopterking wrote:
C Horse wrote:

Southern Districts and Northern Districts are in no danger with the size of their areas.

So just because clubs have a large zone they should be safe?

Southerns- been in the Comp for 20 years.

Produced 1 state cricketer, played 1 finals A grade campaign and are Bottom of the 16 reds.

Northerns- forfeited D grade cricket last year for a couple of games.

Haven't played finals in 5 years and had 7 out of 22 players in there A and B grade that were poms in round 1.
One being a girl.
Are second to bottom In the 16 reds.

Both clubs haven't got a representative in the under 19 squad.

Seems the western suburbs are getting shafted again
mickey
Coach

Postby helicopterking » Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:17 am

mickey wrote:
helicopterking wrote:
C Horse wrote:

Produced 1 state cricketer, played 1 finals A grade campaign and are Bottom of the 16 reds.

Haven't played finals in 5 years and had 7 out of 22 players in there A and B grade that were poms in round 1.
One being a girl.

I agree with the poor performance in relation to the clubs, but there is no doubt they will be not even be looked at.
helicopterking
Coach

Postby heater31 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:20 am

helicopterking wrote:
mickey wrote:
helicopterking wrote:
C Horse wrote:[quote="Eagles2014"]Seems SACA have decided it is down to three Clubs who will not be part of the 1st Grade comp next year, basically this will kill of the Club if they only have a 2nd Grade team.

One being a girl.

I agree with the poor performance in relation to the clubs, but there is no doubt they will be not even be looked at.[/quote]
Yet Port Adelaide have poor junior numbers and you expect them to be safe?
heater31

Postby mickey » Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:26 am

Using that as a measuring sick,then university have to be the 1st ones gone
mickey
Coach

Postby heater31 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:32 am

mickey wrote:Using that as a measuring sick,then university have to be the 1st ones gone

Naturally.....
heater31

Postby Tony Clifton » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:14 am

Is it definitely Woodville, Port Adelaide and West Torrens that are the three being looked at? I heard Woodville, Port and Prospect.

Either way it sucks. I hate the thought of losing a club and don't believe it will be the panacea for a stronger grade competition anyway.

I really wish SACA had made the smart call and got rid of University. It is just so blindingly simple. Leaves us with 12 clubs, 11 rounds, every club with a metro and country zone, every club with juniors. Uni could continue to exist in Adelaide Turf, the same as the Blacks Football Club play in the amateur league.

The dumbest thing ever was the country zoning. Prospect had been struggling for a while - they got given Broken Hill! Not many cricketers and about an 8 hour drive. Port struggling for longer - they got Eyre Peninsula! Just a 6 hour drive. Neither club gets any benefit from their country zone. The clubs with strong metro zones should have been given the smaller, far flung country areas. The clubs with the weaker metro zones should have got the larger, closer country zones. It would have helped balance the competition.

Merging two western suburbs clubs will simply make Grange, Woodville Rechabite, Flinders Park... stronger.

Southern Districts/Northern Districts is a different issue altogether. South Australian cricket needs both clubs to be strong however the dynamic has changed in the northern and southern suburbs. Used to be a strong cricket culture - now urban sprawl, more migrant families, social issues, lower participation in cricket.
This is Tony Clifton! A name to respect! A name to fear!
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1462 times
Been liked: 244 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide University

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:21 am

Tony Clifton wrote:Is it definitely Woodville, Port Adelaide and West Torrens that are the three being looked at? I heard Woodville, Port and Prospect.

Either way it sucks. I hate the thought of losing a club and don't believe it will be the panacea for a stronger grade competition anyway.

I really wish SACA had made the smart call and got rid of University. It is just so blindingly simple. Leaves us with 12 clubs, 11 rounds, every club with a metro and country zone, every club with juniors. Uni could continue to exist in Adelaide Turf, the same as the Blacks Football Club play in the amateur league.

The dumbest thing ever was the country zoning. Prospect had been struggling for a while - they got given Broken Hill! Not many cricketers and about an 8 hour drive. Port struggling for longer - they got Eyre Peninsula! Just a 6 hour drive. Neither club gets any benefit from their country zone. The clubs with strong metro zones should have been given the smaller, far flung country areas. The clubs with the weaker metro zones should have got the larger, closer country zones. It would have helped balance the competition.

Merging two western suburbs clubs will simply make Grange, Woodville Rechabite, Flinders Park... stronger.

Southern Districts/Northern Districts is a different issue altogether. South Australian cricket needs both clubs to be strong however the dynamic has changed in the northern and southern suburbs. Used to be a strong cricket culture - now urban sprawl, more migrant families, social issues, lower participation in cricket.

The Jets need to lose their "who you are" attitude, it's very off-putting seeing some of the kids they select vs ones that get overlooked.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4351 times
Been liked: 7956 times

Postby heater31 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:40 am

Tony Clifton wrote:Is it definitely Woodville, Port Adelaide and West Torrens that are the three being looked at? I heard Woodville, Port and Prospect.

It's defiantly WT, Woodville & Port. Andrew Capel, Nick Benton and Aaron Sayers are all having a whinge on Twitter this morning.

Throughout this whole mess we have been getting mixed messages from West Torrens. Depending on who you speak with the club was looking at a Merger or no they will stay as they are.

Yes the simple solution is to relegate University to the ATCA but I bet the SACA were scared off by the threat of Supreme Court injunctions.....
heater31

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Regional Cricket Comps