Grade Cricket

Local cricket is the go here. Any talk about local comps, grade cricket, etc.

Re: Grade Cricket

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:52 am

Tony Clifton wrote:Para Districts used to be stronger too though. I remember at those junior carnivals (CUSA Cup?) that Para Districts used to destroy all the other associations. Now they are one of the weakest. I know they've lost a couple of clubs to the Barossa but it seems that numbers/standard has dropped?

Or has it just improved in the other associations?

There's more clubs for the other comps to choose from, north eastern generally sets the benchmark, I expect this years under 11's PDCA outfit to put up a strong showing though.
The 13's tends to be a poorly represented age group for the 13's, I heard that Eastern Park have refused to send kids out this season and they probably boast 4 or 5 certain starters.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4352 times
Been liked: 7969 times

Postby Down the Hill » Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:56 am

When I was a teenager (30 plus years ago) the majority of very good junior cricketers were also your very good junior footballers. But the demands on the very good to elite junior footballers these days, and the dreams of making the big league, means that cricket gets dropped early in the teenage years. The higher proportion of lads at colleges these days also means many get their cricket fix with school cricket and don't bother with club cricket. Not sure if this is an issue all around Australia but in SA there is nowhere near the depth of talent in junior cricket these days than there was 25 to 30 years ago.
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 288 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:05 am

Down the Hill wrote:When I was a teenager (30 plus years ago) the majority of very good junior cricketers were also your very good junior footballers. But the demands on the very good to elite junior footballers these days, and the dreams of making the big league, means that cricket gets dropped early in the teenage years. The higher proportion of lads at colleges these days also means many get their cricket fix with school cricket and don't bother with club cricket. Not sure if this is an issue all around Australia but in SA there is nowhere near the depth of talent in junior cricket these days than there was 25 to 30 years ago.

The way junior cricket has been sanitized wouldn't help too much either, little Johnny must bat and bowl regardless of whether he throws it or not.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:05 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Tony Clifton wrote:Para Districts used to be stronger too though. I remember at those junior carnivals (CUSA Cup?) that Para Districts used to destroy all the other associations. Now they are one of the weakest. I know they've lost a couple of clubs to the Barossa but it seems that numbers/standard has dropped?

Or has it just improved in the other associations?

There's more clubs for the other comps to choose from, north eastern generally sets the benchmark, I expect this years under 11's PDCA outfit to put up a strong showing though.
The 13's tends to be a poorly represented age group for the 13's, I heard that Eastern Park have refused to send kids out this season and they probably boast 4 or 5 certain starters.

What has happened to all the juniors in the PDCA LM?
I see there is only 4 U16 sides and ATCO has 2 of those and only 7 U14 sides. That seems a fair drop off from past numbers
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1127 times
Been liked: 3575 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:10 am

Jim05 wrote:What has happened to all the juniors in the PDCA LM?
I see there is only 4 U16 sides and ATCO has 2 of those and only 7 U14 sides. That seems a fair drop off from past numbers

Under 16's has been a shambles for quite some time, despite usually having more teams, there were heavy defeats as some clubs struggled to field full sides, even now, I know Salisbury West have 12 year olds in their 16's. Kids don't want to front up at 8am on a Saturday morning, especially for under 16's where a lot would work at Macca's etc.
I think the 14's are in the same boat, the early morning Saturday start wouldn't be too appealing along with the fact that by under 14's the kids generally have to fend for themselves and don't get a token bowl or bat.
It could also do with coaches, I know clubs really struggle to find junior coaches, it's a thankless task and half the time you're just a cheap babysitter.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby daysofourlives » Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:13 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Down the Hill wrote:When I was a teenager (30 plus years ago) the majority of very good junior cricketers were also your very good junior footballers. But the demands on the very good to elite junior footballers these days, and the dreams of making the big league, means that cricket gets dropped early in the teenage years. The higher proportion of lads at colleges these days also means many get their cricket fix with school cricket and don't bother with club cricket. Not sure if this is an issue all around Australia but in SA there is nowhere near the depth of talent in junior cricket these days than there was 25 to 30 years ago.

The way junior cricket has been sanitized wouldn't help too much either, little Johnny must bat and bowl regardless of whether he throws it or not.

Does the fall away in the JETS juniors have any correlation to the time Trinity started demanding their kids play for the school?
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2437 times
Been liked: 1672 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:23 pm

daysofourlives wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:

Does the fall away in the JETS juniors have any correlation to the time Trinity started demanding their kids play for the school?

Wouldn't think so, as it's not necessarily a new thing.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby daysofourlives » Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:25 pm

The juniors have been shit for quite some time, how long has Trinty had 1st dibs on kids. Im pretty sure its not that long and by that i mean it wasnt always the way. My estimation would be about 10 years max
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2437 times
Been liked: 1672 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby heater31 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:46 pm

daysofourlives wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:

Interestingly there is some momentum gaining from parents regarding this......had a Saints parent telling me the other day that he told the coach not to select his son in the First XI unless he was selected to bat in the top 3. Mind you he does have a point when the kid has batted in those positions most of his life and wants to continue to do so.

Also overheard Scotch kids bagging the standard of the comp.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1265 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:12 am

daysofourlives wrote:The juniors have been shit for quite some time, how long has Trinty had 1st dibs on kids. Im pretty sure its not that long and by that i mean it wasnt always the way. My estimation would be about 10 years max

Gav McIver got involved for a while and it started looking good, it seems as though if someone form the Barossa is at the helm they get a great run and vice versa if there's a PDCA person at the helm, just looking at the surnames and form sums it up.
I had an interesting conversation with a couple of Barossa based parents at my daughters state training the other day, we had the same things to say but from each side of the fence.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:03 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
daysofourlives wrote:The juniors have been shit for quite some time, how long has Trinty had 1st dibs on kids. Im pretty sure its not that long and by that i mean it wasnt always the way. My estimation would be about 10 years max

Gav McIver got involved for a while and it started looking good, it seems as though if someone form the Barossa is at the helm they get a great run and vice versa if there's a PDCA person at the helm, just looking at the surnames and form sums it up.
I had an interesting conversation with a couple of Barossa based parents at my daughters state training the other day, we had the same things to say but from each side of the fence.

We have Barossa kids driving to the Gullies or Kensi rather than play for the Jets
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1127 times
Been liked: 3575 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:06 am

Jim05 wrote:We have Barossa kids driving to the Gullies or Kensi rather than play for the Jets

Yep, that's been the norm for quite some time, Travis Head is a classic example of who has slipped through the system, I'm sure someone's son was getting a fair crack though averaging 12 with the bat and playing B grade hard wicket somewhere now, if at all.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Dogwatcher » Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:23 am

I wonder about a lot of those kids going to Gullies and Kensi - is that about opportunity and better coaching or is there a social status to having your kids at these clubs? I also see lots of kids bypassing northern suburbs clubs for Sunday footy so they can play at Gullies or Golden Grove.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby heater31 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:38 am

Dogwatcher wrote:I wonder about a lot of those kids going to Gullies and Kensi - is that about opportunity and better coaching or is there a social status to having your kids at these clubs? I also see lots of kids bypassing northern suburbs clubs for Sunday footy so they can play at Gullies or Golden Grove.

Or is it just the coaching programs on offer by those clubs?
heater31

Postby Dogwatcher » Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:40 am

heater31 wrote:
Dogwatcher wrote:I wonder about a lot of those kids going to Gullies and Kensi - is that about opportunity and better coaching or is there a social status to having your kids at these clubs? I also see lots of kids bypassing northern suburbs clubs for Sunday footy so they can play at Gullies or Golden Grove.

Or is it just the coaching programs on offer by those clubs?
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:55 am

Yes, because they are better ran clubs as far as the footy is concerned, as for the cricket, I think it's less of a "boys club" atmosphere and reputations are earnt.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Computer Crashed » Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:44 pm

All of the above I would suggest.
Throw in the fact that successful clubs do their homework far better and target the good ens.
Been there done that,you can get the best cricketers if you put some time into it.
Computer Crashed
Reserves

Has liked: 213 times
Been liked: 124 times
Grassroots Team: Moonta

Postby heater31 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:48 pm

Forecast 44 tomorrow and SACA have pulled the pin on all Grades :shock:

I know I have played in hotter but **** me it was hard work
heater31

Postby Tony Clifton » Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:38 pm

heater31 wrote:Forecast 44 tomorrow and SACA have pulled the pin on all Grades :shock:

I know I have played in hotter but **** me it was hard work

Could they have played Sunday? Going to be quite a bit cooler. Difficult to organise at late notice I guess. Assume the games will be replayed.
This is Tony Clifton! A name to respect! A name to fear!
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1462 times
Been liked: 244 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide University

Postby Tony Clifton » Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:40 pm

Computer Crashed wrote:

All of the above I would suggest.
Throw in the fact that successful clubs do their homework far better and target the good ens.
Been there done that,you can get the best cricketers if you put some time into it.

I think what happens sometimes is that someone at an Adelaide Turf or Barossa or country club will have a negative experience at a grade club.

Eg their kid comes out to trials and doesn't get picked.

The parent gets the shits. If that parent is a coach or helps run the junior cricket locally they will tell everyone how poorly run the grade club is, how the selectors have no idea and would encourage them to go anywhere else
This is Tony Clifton! A name to respect! A name to fear!
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1462 times
Been liked: 244 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide University

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Regional Cricket Comps