Best local bowler's you have seen/faced?

Local cricket is the go here. Any talk about local comps, grade cricket, etc.

Re: Best local bowler's you have seen/faced?

Postby Ripdschitlaz » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:14 pm

Goat Herder wrote:Ask Dougie or Pelter about Freebag Friday and the jukebox at the Maid'n Magpie.. :shock: ;) :lol: Oh, and tell him Wino said g'day, and no, not Neil or Brett. ;)

Someone needs to write a book about the exploits of Berri and Districts at the second carny. That Jukebox story is right up there with the best of them. :lol:
Ripdschitlaz
Under 16s

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:18 pm

Might have to share it some time Rip ;)
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Ripdschitlaz » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:36 pm

Doug Stewart. Where do yo you start? The bloke is an ornament to the game.
I remember watching Doug play for SA Country against the West Indies at Loxton in the early 80's. I'm pretty sure that he claimed the wicket of Ritchie Richardson.
Fast forward 10 years and we are at the Berri nets chucking down some pop tarts at the Windies in preparation for their world cup match against Sri Lanka at Berri oval. Ritchie Richardson strides into the nets and faces the first ball from D Stewart, he pauses for a while, then says in a thick Caribean accent " Hey man, I remember you". :lol:
Pretty amazing when you think of how many bowlers Richardson would have faced over ten years of international cricket.
Ripdschitlaz
Under 16s

Postby Ripdschitlaz » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:37 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:Might have to share it some time Rip ;)

Its vintage Stewart DW. :lol:
Ripdschitlaz
Under 16s

Postby Ripdschitlaz » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:48 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:
Goat Herder wrote:Played about half a dozen Country Carnivals (the drinking ones) with Dougie Stewart and it was hilarious watching batsmen play his first delivery. :lol: :lol: Not half as hilarious as playing a whole week in the same team as Dougie, had to ice my jaws at the end of the week from laughing so much. ;) Dougie would be without question in my favourite team of Xl players to play with in my time. 8)

Very funny man. Although, he didn't have much to laugh about in the SANFL finals last season, being a Bays man.

I must find my way into one of these drinking carnival teams one day. I've heard it's a lot of fun and given how much fun I had in the proper carnival, it could only get better!

There is still a couple of spots left for this year DW, its not too late!
Ripdschitlaz
Under 16s

Postby killer instinct » Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:03 pm

luke henderson.
killer instinct
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Adelaide University

Postby Dutchy » Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:15 pm

running forward wrote:Aaron Galvin and Tarque Willimson would be the quickest ive seen in the hills
Maybe Stu Hanson in his day

I faced Galvin last season and he wasnt quick but I believe he has had some back problems, Stu Hanson was quick yes....

When I was a junior I faced Peter Gladigau in the Glenelg training nets in fading light, most scared Ive ever been....

Also got to face Peter Sleep about 7-8 years ago when he played a bit of Hills cricket
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2333 times
Been liked: 3563 times

Postby Bag The Points » Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:24 pm

Keep hearing stories about a seriously good bowler from Strathalbyn called Perry Jones. Does anyone remember playing with or against him ?
My mail is he was extremely quick, could move the ball both ways and really made it talk.
Bag The Points
League Bench Warmer

Postby a.chucka » Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:37 pm

Several to speak of...

Travis Bahr
Aaron Galvin
Tarque Williamson
Mick Hailstone
Matt Skrokov
Peter Gladigau
a.chucka
Rookie

Grassroots Team: Burra-Booborowie-Hallett

Postby jackpot jim » Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:29 pm

Bag The Points wrote:Keep hearing stories about a seriously good bowler from Strathalbyn called Perry Jones. Does anyone remember playing with or against him ?
My mail is he was extremely quick, could move the ball both ways and really made it talk.

Was at his peak through the 1970s.
I faced him a few times in the early 80s and you r right btp, very quick and moved the ball both ways off the pitch. Some of his bowling feats are legendary including taking all 10 wickets in an innings, ALL CLEANED BOWLED :shock: in a final and strangely enough, Strathalbyn still lost. :shock:
Dominated country carnivals thru the 70s and early 80s.
1974 - 54 wickets
1977 - 47 wickets @ 5.68
1978 - 36 wickets @ 6.44
1980 - 55 wickets @ 5.12
1982 - 36 wickets @ 6.02
1985 - 39 wickets @ 5.79

quite remarkables stats those.
jackpot jim
Coach

Has liked: 340 times
Been liked: 452 times

Postby Ripdschitlaz » Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:18 am

jackpot jim wrote:
Bag The Points wrote:Keep hearing stories about a seriously good bowler from Strathalbyn called Perry Jones. Does anyone remember playing with or against him ?

I faced him a few times in the early 80s and you r right btp, very quick and moved the ball both ways off the pitch. Some of his bowling feats are legendary including taking all 10 wickets in an innings, ALL CLEANED BOWLED :shock: in a final and strangely enough, Strathalbyn still lost. :shock:
1974 - 54 wickets
1977 - 47 wickets @ 5.68
1978 - 36 wickets @ 6.44
1980 - 55 wickets @ 5.12
1982 - 36 wickets @ 6.02
1985 - 39 wickets @ 5.79

:shock: Jeezus!
Ripdschitlaz
Under 16s

Postby Jabber » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:35 am

Surely one Darren Marsh would have to be one of the better bowlers that ever played local hard-wicket cricket... I only played with him when he was well past his prime and he still put blokes on stretchers with blood all over their faces.

i witnessed a match in section one when he made a comeback to a grade and he told the batsmen that he was going to knock him out the next ball he faced and he did.

scary, scary man!
Jabber
League Bench Warmer

Been liked: 15 times
Grassroots Team: Plympton

Postby Richard Chee Quee » Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:59 am

Ripdschitlaz wrote:
jackpot jim wrote:

1974 - 54 wickets
1977 - 47 wickets @ 5.68
1978 - 36 wickets @ 6.44
1980 - 55 wickets @ 5.12
1982 - 36 wickets @ 6.02
1985 - 39 wickets @ 5.79

:shock: Jeezus!

the thing those stats dont tell you is he used to hand water one end of the strath pitch so the end he was bowling from always had a little bit extra in it. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Richard Chee Quee
Under 16s

Been liked: 1 time
Grassroots Team: Wingfield Royals

Postby DILLIGAF » Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:29 pm

i hated facing john hopkins i would get stuck watching him great action quickest bolts from sullys he didnt no where they were goin either and andy richards was sharp for a little dude
Does It Look Like I Give A F**k
SEE YA LATER!!!
DILLIGAF
Under 16s

Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby PPLions » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:49 pm

Wayne Prior played a few seasons for Springton in the Torrens Valley Cricket Association after he finished at Salisbury.
'Fang' was still quicker off two steps than pretty well anyone else I faced in that comp at the time
PPLions
Under 18s

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 1 time
Grassroots Team: West Augusta

Postby RyderCourtney » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:25 am

jackpot jim wrote:

1974 - 54 wickets
1977 - 47 wickets @ 5.68
1978 - 36 wickets @ 6.44
1980 - 55 wickets @ 5.12
1982 - 36 wickets @ 6.02
1985 - 39 wickets @ 5.79

Was only discussing him on the weekend. The old man faced him a few times and said he was probably the one bowler that when he edged the ball to the keeper he was happy to walk ala Gilchrist, Scary fast and especially with no helmets in the day.

Also said that he killed a man whilst bowling. Not sure if it was true but he seemed pretty certain he did.
RyderCourtney
Under 16s

Has liked: 6 times

Postby Yoda.jr » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:15 am

Allan border only missed one game as captain for Australia, thanks to dave burgess
Your ally is the Force. A powerful ally it is
Yoda.jr
Mini-League

Grassroots Team: Hectorville

Postby Silky Johnson » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:42 pm

Most of the comments on here are focussing on quickest rather than best...

The best bowler I have faced without a doubt (in my opinion) was Brett Swain. Not the quickest by a long shot but could do anything with the ball.

The quickest I faced was Jonathon Brookes from West Torrens. The old nets at Kings Reserve were quite bouncy & facing a fired up Brooksey (as a result of coach Pyke constantly sledging him) was not my idea of fun. Honourable mentions to a guy named Afzaal Haider who used play at East Torrens, & a fired up Warren Mitchell from AHOS a couple of years ago (Shark Hunter will remember witnessing all of those!!)
Silky Johnson
Mini-League

Postby jackpot jim » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:00 pm

RyderCourtney wrote:
jackpot jim wrote:

1974 - 54 wickets
1977 - 47 wickets @ 5.68
1978 - 36 wickets @ 6.44
1980 - 55 wickets @ 5.12
1982 - 36 wickets @ 6.02
1985 - 39 wickets @ 5.79

Was only discussing him on the weekend. The old man faced him a few times and said he was probably the one bowler that when he edged the ball to the keeper he was happy to walk ala Gilchrist, Scary fast and especially with no helmets in the day.

Also said that he killed a man whilst bowling. Not sure if it was true but he seemed pretty certain he did.

He ALMOST killed a batsman with a bouncer, heard that the fellow stopped breathing and turned blue before being revived on the pitch.
Apparently it shook Perry up as it would anyone and he rarely bowled bouncers from that point on, only to top class batsmen that had hung around too long. Thankfully he kept the ball pitched up to me at all times and i just copped a hammering on the thigh as i was silly enough not to wear a thigh pad back then and paid the penalty of hardly being able to walk the following days. :oops:
Without doubt, Perry Jones was one of the best country bowlers ever from my sources and own observations.
jackpot jim
Coach

Has liked: 340 times
Been liked: 452 times

Postby adelaide bank » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:31 pm

remember being 15 years old playing seniors at glenelg and tarque williamson would bowl at you off two steps to warm up.Then when you slapped him he would go tropo and steam in at 100 mile an hour and try to kill you with the sun glare coming in very scary times
adelaide bank
Rookie

Been liked: 2 times
Grassroots Team: Morphettville Park

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Regional Cricket Comps