BAROSSA & LIGHT CRICKET 2012/13

Local cricket is the go here. Any talk about local comps, grade cricket, etc.

WHO WILL PLAY IN THE GRAND FINAL

Angaston
25%
Freeling
15%
Gawler Central
31%
Gilbert Valley
10%
Kapunda
4%
Light Pass
No votes
Nuri
4%
Sandy Creek
12%

Total votes : 52

Re: BAROSSA & LIGHT CRICKET 2012/13

Postby TimmiesChin » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:45 pm

james07 wrote:junior cricket is an interesting one, I think will the current focus is on under 16s I believe the problems actually starts at an earlier age. being involved with the 10s and 12s I notice the kids get really bored in the field they love to bat and bowl but the in field kills them especially the kids that aren't cricket die hards. they generally stick at it through under 14s but finally give it away at 16s either due to footy or other options are more accessible to them for Sat mornings. If we consider reducing the number of players on the field/team for 10s and 12s in would create several things. Firstly there would be more runs scored as there is more gaps, less kids to chase the ball hence each kids is involved more often in the game and also depending on the number per side kids could potentially bowl for 3 overs and bat for 6 per pair which would mean more development for the kids as they are involved in the game more. If clubs are struggling for numbers this would also help and would create more teams amongst the younger age groups. If the kids get the chance to develop the skills the likely hood of them remaining in the game is greater.

That's interesting and left field thinking.

I also have a theory that because we have made our primary school aged sport very much a "have a go" type model, meaning the kids that show aptitude, lose their hunger as their ability doesn't result in longer sessions at the crease. Basically its the balance of giving everyone an even go, with the option of letting those that show talent "dominate".

I also suspect that having 14's and 16's dilutes the number of kids available in the high school age group. Shooting from the hip and thinking as I type, but returning to U15's in favour of U14/U16, and allowing permits for any kids in the U16 age group that are not playing A3 cricket or higher in the afternoons, would mean a largely U15 competition, with the ability for the "lesser skilled" 16 year olds to also have that extra year as overage players.

Perhaps an U10 model similar to your proposal, with the U12 group somehow being modelled to allow talent to be developed a bit more (????) to allow them to prepare for U15. Then the U15's with the model listed above - or tweaked slightly to prevent 1 or 2 players absolutely dominating... whether that be based on batting retirement and over limits or "nominated" players I dunno.
TimmiesChin
Under 18s

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 14 times

Postby james07 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:50 pm

TimmiesChin wrote:
james07 wrote:junior cricket is an interesting one, I think will the current focus is on under 16s I believe the problems actually starts at an earlier age. being involved with the 10s and 12s I notice the kids get really bored in the field they love to bat and bowl but the in field kills them especially the kids that aren't cricket die hards. they generally stick at it through under 14s but finally give it away at 16s either due to footy or other options are more accessible to them for Sat mornings. If we consider reducing the number of players on the field/team for 10s and 12s in would create several things. Firstly there would be more runs scored as there is more gaps, less kids to chase the ball hence each kids is involved more often in the game and also depending on the number per side kids could potentially bowl for 3 overs and bat for 6 per pair which would mean more development for the kids as they are involved in the game more. If clubs are struggling for numbers this would also help and would create more teams amongst the younger age groups. If the kids get the chance to develop the skills the likely hood of them remaining in the game is greater.

That's interesting and left field thinking.

I also have a theory that because we have made our primary school aged sport very much a "have a go" type model, meaning the kids that show aptitude, lose their hunger as their ability doesn't result in longer sessions at the crease. Basically its the balance of giving everyone an even go, with the option of letting those that show talent "dominate".

I also suspect that having 14's and 16's dilutes the number of kids available in the high school age group. Shooting from the hip and thinking as I type, but returning to U15's in favour of U14/U16, and allowing permits for any kids in the U16 age group that are not playing A3 cricket or higher in the afternoons, would mean a largely U15 competition, with the ability for the "lesser skilled" 16 year olds to also have that extra year as overage players.

Perhaps an U10 model similar to your proposal, with the U12 group somehow being modelled to allow talent to be developed a bit more (????) to allow them to prepare for U15. Then the U15's with the model listed above - or tweaked slightly to prevent 1 or 2 players absolutely dominating... whether that be based on batting retirement and over limits or "nominated" players I dunno.

all worth discussing at the next AGM definitely
james07
Under 16s

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 13 times

Postby Extractor » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:35 pm

I dont mind those ideas for the younger grades but I think we need to be careful about where we go with that...

I get worried when I hear ideas and suggestions for making Under 16s more of a grade where everyone gets a go. The whole point of junior cricket is to develop kids into senior cricketers. Senior cricket is played for 40 overs per innings in the one day comps and a minimum of 65 in the other grades. We should be trying to develop kids to participate in these sort of competitions instead of prolonging the period where they get to rock up each Saturday and are assured of getting a bat and a bowl.

It sucks when you get out for a golden duck and have to sit and watch all day but those are the rules of cricket. If you don't like it then you can try to bat longer next time you get a hit. If you aren't keen to do that then maybe cricket isn't the right game for you...A kid who needs to be assured of batting for 4 overs each Saturday by the time he reaches under 14 or under 16 level is probably not going to make a senior cricketer...
Extractor
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 15 times
Grassroots Team: Gawler Central

Postby TimmiesChin » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:41 pm

Extractor wrote:I dont mind those ideas for the younger grades but I think we need to be careful about where we go with that...

I get worried when I hear ideas and suggestions for making Under 16s more of a grade where everyone gets a go. The whole point of junior cricket is to develop kids into senior cricketers. Senior cricket is played for 40 overs per innings in the one day comps and a minimum of 65 in the other grades. We should be trying to develop kids to participate in these sort of competitions instead of prolonging the period where they get to rock up each Saturday and are assured of getting a bat and a bowl.

It sucks when you get out for a golden duck and have to sit and watch all day but those are the rules of cricket. If you don't like it then you can try to bat longer next time you get a hit. If you aren't keen to do that then maybe cricket isn't the right game for you...A kid who needs to be assured of batting for 4 overs each Saturday by the time he reaches under 14 or under 16 level is probably not going to make a senior cricketer...

Agree 100%
TimmiesChin
Under 18s

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 14 times

Postby Failed Creation » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:41 pm

Extractor wrote:I dont mind those ideas for the younger grades but I think we need to be careful about where we go with that...

Spot on.
Politicians kissing babies for good luck,
TV preachers sell salvation for a buck.
You don't need no golden cross to tell you wrong from right,
The world's worst murderers were those who saw the light.
Failed Creation
Coach

Has liked: 3307 times
Been liked: 615 times

Postby Dogmatic » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:20 pm

Failed Creation wrote:

Spot on.

Furthermore, if you can't bat or bowl or have patience to learn the game do not play cricket.
For every one I miss I am closer to a hole in one.
Dogmatic
League - Best 21

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 32 times
Grassroots Team: Brahma Lodge

Postby Tony Clifton » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:46 pm

Dogmatic wrote:
Failed Creation wrote:

Spot on.

Furthermore, if you can't bat or bowl or have patience to learn the game do not play cricket.

This all seems a bit contradictory.

On one hand we are worried about the numbers in junior cricket, on the other we think if the kids don't like the rules that's too bad, go and do something else?

Yes, we want to develop senior cricketers. But there are some smaller steps that need to occur for this to happen. Namely we need the kids to want to come back next week as a first step. Then the next month, then the next season...

The super talented kids will always have association cricket, rep cricket, grade cricket, state cricket, playing up in senior cricket... to accommodate them and extend them. Having these kids beat up on less talented kids on Saturday mornings isn't necessary. Any rule change that ensures each player has a role to play with bat and ball each week is a good thing I reckon.
This is Tony Clifton! A name to respect! A name to fear!
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1465 times
Been liked: 245 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide University

Postby norm11 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:34 pm

Few players have left gawler centrals I've heard.
Back to the creek it is.
norm11
League - Top 5

Has liked: 470 times
Been liked: 53 times

Postby import » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:32 pm

norm11 wrote:Few players have left gawler centrals I've heard.

and who would they be Norm???
import
Mini-League

Been liked: 0 time

Postby norm11 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:43 pm

import wrote:

These are not made by me. I know it could be all bull shit. Macaferty back to sals west. Pete thomas and fraca also moving on.
Back to the creek it is.
norm11
League - Top 5

Postby beeroclock » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:48 pm

norm11 wrote:
import wrote:

These are not made by me. I know it could be all bull shit. Macaferty back to sals west. Pete thomas and fraca also moving on.

Surly not another cap to Frac.
Maybe he can just get his green & white one back out.
beeroclock
League - Best 21

Has liked: 29 times

Postby Extractor » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:06 pm

Don't believe everything you read on the forum Norm....
Extractor
Under 16s

Been liked: 15 times

Postby norm11 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:11 pm

Extractor wrote:Don't believe everything you read on the forum Norm....

Didn't read it on the forum. Like I said what I was told.
Back to the creek it is.
norm11
League - Top 5

Postby Wizard of Oz » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:36 pm

Last I heard Frack was staying...
Wizard of Oz
League - Best 21

Been liked: 5 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:19 pm

norm11 wrote:
Extractor wrote:Don't believe everything you read on the forum Norm....

Didn't read it on the forum. Like I said what I was told.

Thomas retiring, going to spend his weekends supporting his sons cricket. Serle won't play either, McCafferty back to Westies and Fracka staying... Take it to the bank.
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Has liked: 402 times
Been liked: 285 times

Postby happyhawk » Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:47 pm

Any news on ins and outs around the comp? Sounds like we may have picked up a couple and no weddings during the season at this stage should put us in a better position across all grades Than last year.
happyhawk
Rookie

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 22 times
Grassroots Team: RSMU

Postby Red Rocket » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:29 pm

Word around the valley that Sandy have signed a new coach that will be bringing a couple of handy players with him.
Wonder if the coaches son will suit up, very good cricketer and would be a huge pickup for the Cockies
Red Rocket
Under 18s

Been liked: 72 times
Grassroots Team: Kapunda

Postby james07 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:27 pm

Red Rocket wrote:Word around the valley that Sandy have signed a new coach that will be bringing a couple of handy players with him.
Wonder if the coaches son will suit up, very good cricketer and would be a huge pickup for the Cockies

you might be on the money there, Kym Mclean has agreed to coach the club this season and his experience will be a valuable asset to the club.
james07
Under 16s

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 13 times

Postby Bag & Sledge » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:59 pm

james07 wrote:
Red Rocket wrote:Word around the valley that Sandy have signed a new coach that will be bringing a couple of handy players with him.

you might be on the money there, Kym Mclean has agreed to coach the club this season and his experience will be a valuable asset to the club.

Yes Chris McLean and Kym McLean are handy pick ups for Sandy Creek.
Definitely the early premiership favourites under the guidance of Kym. Association medallist Stephen Hands again putting the shoes on and word is Bomber is as fit as he has ever been.
Would expect Chris McLean to bat at three and tipping a huge season from him at the creek.
Bag & Sledge
Under 18s

Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 31 times

Postby UNDERthePACK » Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:52 pm

Bag & Sledge wrote:
james07 wrote:

Yes Chris McLean and Kym McLean are handy pick ups for Sandy Creek.
Definitely the early premiership favourites under the guidance of Kym. Association medallist Stephen Hands again putting the shoes on and word is Bomber is as fit as he has ever been.
Would expect Chris McLean to bat at three and tipping a huge season from him at the creek.

I heard Gawler Centrals were chasing very hard for his sevices aswell. I thought with his son being mates with Fracka though that would be where he ended up. Obviously I was wrong on that assumption.
Ango will simply continue to look at promoting juniors again ;)
UNDERthePACK
Under 16s

Been liked: 0 time

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Regional Cricket Comps