Stanley Cricket Association

Local cricket is the go here. Any talk about local comps, grade cricket, etc.

Stanley Cricket Association

Postby Hazbeen » Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:19 pm

Is there anyone with any news on movements and line ups for the new Stanley season?

Pulling out of the Super League Comp....Good Idea?
Hazbeen
Veteran

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 122 times
Grassroots Team: Hummocks-Watchman

Re: Stanley Cricket Association

Postby the bearded wonder » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:17 pm

What is the super league comp ?
the bearded wonder

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby Hazbeen » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:55 pm

caleb wrote:What is the super league comp ?

For the past two seasons Stanley(Clare) has been part of the Northern Areas super league comp which comprises all the sides from the Stanley, Rocky River (Crystal Brook), Belalie Mokata (Burra) associations which play off in 3 or 4 divisions for the first part of the season before they break off into their own comps.

This season Stanley decided to pull out to allow for both the A's & B's to play the same amount of matches. Under the Super League the A's start early October but the B's weren't starting until mid November when the SL finished and with the extensive travel involved (as far north as Pekina, Orroroo etc) some clubs were struggling to fill decent teams for the away games.

Stanley commences this Saturday for both grades.
Hazbeen
Veteran

Postby Hazbeen » Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:05 pm

Half way thru the season.

Lower North looking good and can only get stronger as all the farmers play full time, will miss Ryan Darling as pre-season with Sturt intensifies.

Not sure on ladder. Clare Red, Lower North, Auburn-Mintaro and Brinkworth looking the teams to beat.
Hazbeen
Veteran

Postby Hazbeen » Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:58 am

Finals started on the weekend;

1st Semi Lower North vs Auburn/Mintaro
2nd Semi Brinkworth vs Clare Red

Will update full scores when I have them
Hazbeen
Veteran

Postby Hazbeen » Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:02 pm

2nd Semi Brinkworth d Clare Red
1st Semi Lower North d Auburn/Mintaro

This week, Prelim Final, Lower North vs Clare Red, Balaklava Oval
Hazbeen
Veteran

Postby Hazbeen » Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:15 am

Lower North defeated Clare Red by 7 wickets.

G.F. Brinkworth vs Lower North @ Balaklava this Saturday
Hazbeen
Veteran

Postby Hazbeen » Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:19 am

Lower North are premiers for 07/08, defeated Brinkworth on Sat, 9/144 d 118.
Hazbeen
Veteran

Postby KS41 » Sun Mar 30, 2008 4:42 pm

Which towns make up Lower North?
KS41
Rookie

Has liked: 4 times
Grassroots Team: Moorook-Kingston

Postby Hazbeen » Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:11 am

KS41 wrote:Which towns make up Lower North?

Lower North is made up of the three remaining teams from the old Lower North Association based around Balaklava. The three teams were Watchman (Balak footballers), Nantawarra (Hummocks) and Lochiel (Hummocks). All players either live in Balaklava or are farmers from around the district.
Hazbeen
Veteran

Postby The Jack » Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:02 pm

Good to see someone interested enough to start a topic about Stanley, good on ya Hazbeen!

Just to keep everyone updated, this season will feature only one A grade side from Clare (previous years there have been Clare Red and Clare Blue) and two B grades (previous years only one). This apparently is to do with the amount of serious knee injuries suffered by some of their better players during the footy season just gone. Not exactly sure, but I think Ben Seymon, Matt Vandeleur and maybe his brother Josh (?) are the victims I'm aware of. All requiring recons apparently. There is talk that they will get back to two A grade sides in time, but I think that's doubtful myself. Once something like this is done, its pretty hard to get it going again. Especially considering the internal issues that Clare cricket has had to overcome. Although maybe those internal issues will be what makes two sides happen again! Also of concern is how players going between two B grade sides and the A grade during the season will affect qualification for B grade finals. Apparently there will be a magic number (7) which once you've played that many games for that B grade side, that's who you play for for the rest of the season.

In other news, Lower North Cricket Club are in the process of turning the white elephant that is the Ralli Pavilion in the Balaklava Showgrounds into an indoor cricket training centre. I haven't seen the progress so far, but it should be ready for a Yorke Peninsula Junior cricket camp in the first week of the school holidays. So it should be basically finished by now! This will give Lower North facilities that will be the envy of all other clubs in the comp I should think, with 3 full length pitches with pull-back nets allowing for two groups of bowlers and a bowling machine at the same time. In any conditions!

Blyth Cricket Club are again only entering a B Grade senior cricket team, much to the chagrin of most opposition. This seems to be a pretty soft option, considering towns such as Watervale and Sevenhill keep fronting up year after year with smaller populations. As they keep saying at the meetings, "Maybe next year!"

Junior numbers in all clubs but Clare and Lower North are a worry with most only reporting 5 or 6. There will be two divisions of junior cricket this season so that Clare and Lower North with full teams of close to 16 year olds won't be playing against teams with maybe one or two older kids and the rest 8-12s. It will be interesting to see how this works, but in the meantime if there are any kids out there who are looking for a game, if you live in Clare you could probably go just down the road to Watervale or Sevenhill and you would get a game every week. I think Lower North will be entering a team in each division.

I think that's all I can think of at the moment (thank God I hear you cry!), but would love to hear about new recruits, general gossip etc. (such as progress with the Clare main oval resurfacing) for Stanley teams. Lower North's side could be fairly different to last year's, depending on where the terrible twosome Higgs and Darling decide to show their wares. There will be some new faces, but whether in A's or B's is yet to be determined. Lower North are participating in a 20/20 tournament in Kadina against the Yorke Peninsula leagues and Lower Gilbert on Sunday the 19th October which should be a handy warm-up before the first game on Sat 25th Oct.

Ciao for now! :partyman:
The Jack
Under 18s

Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 18 times

Postby Hazbeen » Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:50 pm

Lower North has lost Wicket Keeper and Top Order batsman, Lian Whitwell, from last years Premiership side to Mallala (Lower Gilbert comp) where he is A Grade footy captain.

Rest of the side should be returning.
Hazbeen
Veteran

Postby The Jack » Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:58 am

Except for Gongy, who has just had another knee reconstruction. Retired from all sport he reckons! We'll see...

Lower North played in the inter-association 20/20 tournament yesterday over at Paskeville. Were meant to play Lower Gilbert in the morning game, but they forfeited leaving Lower North to play the winner of the two Yorke Peninsula sides, which was Lower Yorke. Lower North could only manage 92 off their 20 overs batting first, which was never enough to beat Lower Yorke who passed the score in the 15th over. Some handy match practice though for Lower North in readiness for this Saturday's first round.
The Jack
Under 18s

Postby The Jack » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:52 am

BUMP!

Due to unprecedented interest over the last year ( ;) ), I thought I'd better keep everyone updated as to the goings on in the Stanley Cricket Association for the coming season. From a Lower North Cricket Club point of view of course! Judging by the slow pace of the North Eastern Football League forum, I'm not sure if anyone in the Clare Valley actually owns a PC. Anyhoo...

A1 competition will have 7 teams this year including Lower North, Brinkworth/Koolunga, Clare, Blyth (their first year of having A1, after many years of "encouragement"), Sevenhill, Watervale and Auburn/Mintaro. A2 competition will have 8 teams with all of the above involved and Clare having 2 teams (Red and Blue).
Season starts tomorrow with the following games in A1:
Brink/Kool v Clare at Brinkworth
Watervale v Aub/Min at Watervale
Blyth v Sevenhill at Blyth
Lower North - Bye

A2:
Sevenhill v Brink/Kool at Sevenhill
Aub/Min v Watervale at Auburn
Clare Blue v Blyth at Clare High School
Lower North v Clare Red at Balaklava
The Jack
Under 18s

Postby The Jack » Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:53 pm

With the Lower North A1's having the bye in the first week of the season, they are once again taking part in 20/20 inter-association comp at Ardrossan on Sunday. This will be a round robin comp against the two Yorke Peninsula leagues. It will be interesting, 1 team vs the best of Yorkes, but it keeps our foot in the door as far as being part of the Yorke Peninsula zone. Which gives our kids more opportunities to make development squads and the like. But, as we've seen recently, in 20/20 anything can happen, and that's what we're banking on! I just hope that Goody isn't that keen on playing association cricket, after starring for Stansbury at the start of their season. Although, having said that, it would be a challenge to play against him, and an experience for our young guys.

It will be interesting to see who turns out for which team in Stanley this opening round, as there are some rumblings that all is not well at Clare Cricket Club, which should by rights have the best A1 side by far this season after knee injuries prevented them from having some of their best players last time out. Some of these players have now got the brace 'n' bits apparently, and could be turning out for Sevenhill. Only what we've heard from over the hill mind you! And by the sob story that Hummingbird came out with at the meeting, Brinky might have lost some 7 regulars from last season, not sure if A1 or A2 though. Either way, it makes it hard to field 2 competitive sides. Blyth will find out this season how tough it is to come up with 2 sides every week, after years of only fielding an A2 side. But good on them for trying! As for us, this season will see a changing of the guard somewhat, in that some of our more senior A1's from years past, will be playing A2 every week, which should give some of our up-and-coming juniors the chance to shine in A1. Exciting times ahead we hope, with more than a few speed bumps as well I'm sure, as these youngsters can now take ownership of the senior team. If nothing else, the fines master is sure to be busy! I'll endeavour to give results of games as each round is played, even if for nothing else but my own amusement!
The Jack
Under 18s

Postby Lazarus » Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:57 pm

When do you get to go out to Auburn?

I wouldn't be looking forward to fielding on that oval.
Lazarus
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time

Postby The Jack » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:19 am

B's are there on 5/12 followed by the A's on 19/12. Could be a few grazes on the knees still for Christmas perhaps Lazarus? You've gotta pick your moments (and surfaces) for diving in the field though. You do learn a thing or two once you get to my age!
The Jack
Under 18s

Postby Hazbeen » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:03 pm

Jack, Are you one of the Senior Cits taking semi-retirement in the 2's this year? Might have to make a comeback from golf if the are letting wobbly knee'd left handed opening bats play again.
Hazbeen
Veteran

Postby The Jack » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:49 pm

No HB, someone's gotta try and keep the kids in line. Tough job that one. The B's had a good win on the weekend though, getting over Clare Red by 15 runs. Despite Pinky's 5 wickets, which was answered by 5 wickets for us by Weasel. Believe it or not... :roll:

Tim Moulds got 57 to get us to 150 batting first, before Clare Red were all out for 135, after giving the home side some nervous moments, even when 9 down.
The Jack
Under 18s

Postby Swamp Donkey » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:52 pm

I'll show some moral interest lads. Most importantly how did Hazbeen and The Jack fair with the bat and ball on the weekend?
Swamp Donkey
League - Top 5

Has liked: 112 times
Been liked: 129 times
Grassroots Team: Wunkar

Next

Board index   Other Sports  Regional Cricket Comps