Grade Cricket

Local cricket is the go here. Any talk about local comps, grade cricket, etc.

Re: Grade Cricket

Postby Minimum Chips » Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:40 am

tigerpie wrote:
heater31 wrote:The Southern Districts rebuilding has begun

Nigel Smart has been appointed interim president and will nominate for the position at the AGM.

Also Marty Clifton has joined the management committee.

The Nigel Smart?
Wow he'll kick them into gear. Takes no prisoners and says it like it is.
Good to hear Cliffo has stepped up. Tough competitor on field but good bloke off it.
Let's hope the biggest protestors step up as well.

From Ben Hook's page in yesterday's Sunday Mail:

Legends take over reins for Stingrays
ADELAIDE premiership hero Nigel Smart is set to be announced as the new chairman of the Southern District Cricket Club, after members voted against a merger with Adelaide Cricket Club last month.

And club legend Harvey Jolly is the new interim president of the Stingrays, after this week taking on the role for a second time. Port Adelaide football boss Chris Davies and another Crows premiership star, Rod Jameson, are part of an advisory group and have confirmed they will provide ongoing support to the club.

Jolly, a former SA cricketer who was instrumental in the development of the Stingrays, put his hand up to return to the interim leadership role at the club, after merger talks with Adelaide were called off at a special general meeting last month.

Ten board members stood down in the aftermath.

A widely respected figure in SA cricket, Jolly was president of the Stingrays when the club won its first A-grade premiership in 2015-16.
Minimum Chips
Under 18s

Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 51 times
Grassroots Team: Bute

Postby oldeagle » Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:47 pm

Hookey was sort of on the right track. Smart has been appointed intermediate President and will stand for election at the AGM. Harvey has moved in to the committee on a temporary basis to assist the club.
oldeagle
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby Arch44 » Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:46 pm

I heard a whisper that ex SANFL umpire Richard Williams is looking to become a SACA cricket umpire. Surely he doesn't get allocated West Torrens games with strong passion towards the club or even Woodville with his particular dislike towards certain players.
Hogg Shield Div IV 2018 Winner
Arch44
League - Top 5

Has liked: 717 times
Been liked: 272 times

Postby ferret » Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:15 pm

Arch44 wrote:I heard a whisper that ex SANFL umpire Richard Williams is looking to become a SACA cricket umpire. Surely he doesn't get allocated West Torrens games with strong passion towards the club or even Woodville with his particular dislike towards certain players.

What an absolutely stupid question and he wouldn't want to umpire them anyway.
He is also an SANFL umpire observer and isn't allowed to adjudicate on his son's matches.
ferret
Reserves

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 136 times

Postby Minimum Chips » Sat May 01, 2021 8:48 am

ferret wrote:
Arch44 wrote:I heard a whisper that ex SANFL umpire Richard Williams is looking to become a SACA cricket umpire. Surely he doesn't get allocated West Torrens games with strong passion towards the club or even Woodville with his particular dislike towards certain players.

He is also an SANFL umpire observer and isn't allowed to adjudicate on his son's matches.

I reckon he'd do quite well.
Minimum Chips
Under 18s

Postby Shark_Hunter » Sat May 01, 2021 7:29 pm

ferret wrote:

They never stopped Colin d'Cruz umpiring Clive's games. Not suggesting there was any bias, always thought he was a good umpire, just saying it was allowed that I always thought was odd.
Shark_Hunter
Under 16s

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 27 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon May 03, 2021 12:36 pm

Shark_Hunter wrote:
They never stopped Colin d'Cruz umpiring Clive's games. Not suggesting there was any bias, always thought he was a good umpire, just saying it was allowed that I always thought was odd.

Played a lot of juniors against Clive and worked with his brother for a while not long ago, nice blokes.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby The Hound » Wed May 12, 2021 11:44 am

Heard Botha to coach East Torrens ?, not sure how true though.
After season talk always throws up some curly's :lol:

Buffs advertising for a lot of committee / board roles due to some members stepping down
Be interesting to see who takes on there 3 year role as coach as advertised on Seek
The Hound
Reserves

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 35 times

Postby Eagles2014 » Mon May 17, 2021 10:07 am

Seems ex Woodville player could be in bit of trouble in Darwin, charged with serious child sex offences :shock:

Name will no doubt come out once faces court this week.

Rumours been around the Grade scene for couple of years so no surprise, had sent couple of 16 year old boys from Adelaide CC private messages after playing against them.

What a sicko, going to have fun in prison he is :shock:
Eagles2014
Veteran

Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 524 times

Postby Minimum Chips » Mon May 17, 2021 12:54 pm

Eagles2014 wrote:Seems ex Woodville player could be in bit of trouble in Darwin, charged with serious child sex offences :shock:

Name will no doubt come out once faces court this week.

Rumours been around the Grade scene for couple of years so no surprise, had sent couple of 16 year old boys from Adelaide CC private messages after playing against them.

What a sicko, going to have fun in prison he is :shock:

Read about that in the NT News. Not named but article did say a 25 year-old was arrested on Friday.
Not good.
Minimum Chips
Under 18s

Postby no_remorse28 » Mon May 17, 2021 5:45 pm

Sydney morning herald

A former Big Bash League and state cricketer fronted court in Darwin on Monday, charged with possessing child abuse material and grooming a minor after his alleged behaviour was brought to the attention of cricket authorities.

Aaron Summers, 25, appeared in front of the Darwin Local Court, with police alleging that his mobile phone contained child abuse videos.
no_remorse28
Reserves

Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 71 times
Grassroots Team: Para Hills

Postby Brodlach » Mon May 17, 2021 5:46 pm

I don’t remember him in either competition

Edit played for Tasmania not for SA
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4206 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Armchair expert » Mon May 17, 2021 8:17 pm

Brodlach wrote:I don’t remember him in either competition

Edit played for Tasmania not for SA

Bowled quick but sprayed it
Dave Warner will be missed!
Armchair expert
Coach

Has liked: 379 times
Been liked: 1414 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby heater31 » Mon May 17, 2021 9:03 pm

no_remorse28 wrote:Sydney morning herald

A former Big Bash League and state cricketer fronted court in Darwin on Monday, charged with possessing child abuse material and grooming a minor after his alleged behaviour was brought to the attention of cricket authorities.

Aaron Summers, 25, appeared in front of the Darwin Local Court, with police alleging that his mobile phone contained child abuse videos.
Fortunately his NT club Darwin had the bye on the weekend....

Guess a fair number of former team mates and opponents feeling uneasy tonight.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby am Bays » Mon May 17, 2021 9:22 pm

F*** that’s my club

Never met him haven’t been down there all year

Just rocked up Sat and played in the 3rds, LO4-5 standard if that.

Played with the President he’s F***ing good didn’t let on at all.

Shocked but slightly relieved it wasn’t someone else.
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1804 times

Postby Trader » Sat May 22, 2021 3:05 am

More trouble for the southern stingrays it seems.

After blocking the merger that not only would have helped SA cricket as a whole, but also would have given the combined Adelaide Stingrays a massive leg up in terms of players, facilities and finances, the “no voters” now have a bigger mess to clean up.

Strong reports circulating that the women’s players have left en masse.
As the current div 1 runners up and the div 2 premiers, all but a small minority have decided they will not be playing at Southerns next year.
The ladies are less than impressed with the appointment of Nigel Smart and the “footy club” culture he brings.
One senior player was quoted as saying “the man’s a pig, I won’t be playing so long as he’s involved with the club”. Sounds like she’s not alone in those thoughts.

Interestingly I’ve been advised that the Adelaide Cricket Club have commenced the application process for a women’s license.
Seems the girls are all but keen to move in with the buffalos with or without the merger!
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 794 times

Postby Tony Clifton » Sat May 22, 2021 1:22 pm

Trader wrote:More trouble for the southern stingrays it seems.

After blocking the merger that not only would have helped SA cricket as a whole, but also would have given the combined Adelaide Stingrays a massive leg up in terms of players, facilities and finances, the “no voters” now have a bigger mess to clean up.

Strong reports circulating that the women’s players have left en masse.
As the current div 1 runners up and the div 2 premiers, all but a small minority have decided they will not be playing at Southerns next year.
The ladies are less than impressed with the appointment of Nigel Smart and the “footy club” culture he brings.
One senior player was quoted as saying “the man’s a pig, I won’t be playing so long as he’s involved with the club”. Sounds like she’s not alone in those thoughts.

Interestingly I’ve been advised that the Adelaide Cricket Club have commenced the application process for a women’s license.
Seems the girls are all but keen to move in with the buffalos with or without the merger!

Wowsers... is that off the back of Smart's "just right" social media post last year?

Heard that a big name from their men's team may be on the way to the Blues (girlfriend plays there I believe)
This is Tony Clifton! A name to respect! A name to fear!
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1462 times
Been liked: 244 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide University

Postby maxi » Sat May 22, 2021 3:15 pm

I’m led to believe up to 10 southern juniors were at recent rival clubs trials obviously they’ve got a lot of work to rebuild club
maxi
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 8 times

Postby Tony Clifton » Sat May 22, 2021 4:12 pm

maxi wrote:I’m led to believe up to 10 southern juniors were at recent rival clubs trials obviously they’ve got a lot of work to rebuild club

It's tough when there's even a whiff of instability at a club or doubts about the future

People hop off even if they like the club just because they don't want the uncertainty

The call needed to be made on structure from above (SACA). Leaving it up to clubs to organise will just see them tear themselves apart.

Has there ever been an overall SACA vision published with X number of clubs, situated in these places?
This is Tony Clifton! A name to respect! A name to fear!
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1462 times
Been liked: 244 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide University

Postby whitepointers » Sun May 23, 2021 1:10 am

Trader wrote:

That is true. An email went out Friday.
I heard up to 16 ladies have decided to play cricket elsewhere next season.
If Adelaide do not gain a license to play in the SACA Premier Cricket competition then the girls could be lost to the game forever.

Not sure if Nigel Smart is a pig or not and will bring a footy club culture to the club but he did play cricket for SDCC in it's foundation years.
whitepointers
Rookie

Has liked: 27 times
Been liked: 31 times
Grassroots Team: Port Noarlunga

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Regional Cricket Comps