crickets survival

Local cricket is the go here. Any talk about local comps, grade cricket, etc.

crickets survival

Postby krustymirkin » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:16 pm

What is going to happen to cricket if clubs continue to struggle for juniors and these kids cant seem to enjoy all facets of the game,they either give it away or take up another sport.The diehards will say that the kids are soft and need to harden up but these juniors have to enjoy the game,how as clubs,players ,officials etc to we go about making our great game more enjoyable?.Clubs and assocs are all in the same path without juniors they is no future australia wide.I open it up for discussion from the state level to the primary schools what needs to be done?
krustymirkin
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Re: crickets survival

Postby dark & stormy » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:31 pm

ok, I coach under 9 at gepps cross (this year) my biggest problem is how do people expect under 9 to stay interested in a two day game ?
I know it is only 30 overs but they do not want to field one day then maybe bat the next week . weather has alot to do with it.
make all under 9 games a 20/20 match, they love it.
until we change things to suit ALL AGES we will struggle to keep kids interested ..... my thoughts anyway.
dark & stormy
Reserves

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 4 times

Postby no_remorse28 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:07 pm

Smasha wrote:ok, I coach under 9 at gepps cross (this year) my biggest problem is how do people expect under 9 to stay interested in a two day game ?
I know it is only 30 overs but they do not want to field one day then maybe bat the next week . weather has alot to do with it.
make all under 9 games a 20/20 match, they love it.
until we change things to suit ALL AGES we will struggle to keep kids interested ..... my thoughts anyway.

Thats what I would suggest, we lost both our junior sides at Kilburn this year after the Christmas break because they were not interested enough. Its hard getting some of these kids into it, a few were just out with friends when we needed numbers but didnt enjoy standing in the field all day and then wait a week to bat. If every week was a 20/20 or one dayer i think it would help retain interest, knowing you could bat and bowl all in one day. When i played in primary school it used to be 25 overs each, so 50 in a day and it was always enjoyable.
no_remorse28
Reserves

Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 71 times
Grassroots Team: Para Hills

Postby heater31 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:37 pm

All junior cricket should be 1 day cricket. Maximum 30 overs per side done and dusted in 1 day, The talented kids picked for Grade Cricket are the more serious ones and should play a longer version of the game.

20/20 cricket is breeding bad cricketers technically and in future our First Class sides (not that the Redbacks could get any worse) and National teams will suffer.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1265 times

Postby Goat Herder » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:49 am

heater31 wrote:All junior cricket should be 1 day cricket. Maximum 30 overs per side done and dusted in 1 day, The talented kids picked for Grade Cricket are the more serious ones and should play a longer version of the game.

20/20 cricket is breeding bad cricketers technically and in future our First Class sides (not that the Redbacks could get any worse) and National teams will suffer.

I agree that a 20/20 or even 15/15 format would be the way to go for U10's & 12's. Cricket at that stage is more about participation than grooming the next Callum Ferguson. IMO, U13/14 is where the technical grounding needs to happen, so maybe expand into longer formats around that age group. Getting 'em away from their Xbox's is the biggest battle.. :?
Goat Herder
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:41 pm

Goat Herder wrote:
heater31 wrote:All junior cricket should be 1 day cricket. Maximum 30 overs per side done and dusted in 1 day, The talented kids picked for Grade Cricket are the more serious ones and should play a longer version of the game.

I agree that a 20/20 or even 15/15 format would be the way to go for U10's & 12's. Cricket at that stage is more about participation than grooming the next Callum Ferguson. IMO, U13/14 is where the technical grounding needs to happen, so maybe expand into longer formats around that age group. Getting 'em away from their Xbox's is the biggest battle.. :?

PDCA under 11's play 25 overs each, up to 15 per side, each bowler must bowl and if numbers 7 & 8 are not out at the end of the innings, numbers 9 & 10 must start the following week and continue to work down the list.
Too many times in the past numbers 1 to 5 batted and bowled and the rest of the kids just basically fielded. works very well and there's no arguments. Failure to follow the rules results in no performance points.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4348 times
Been liked: 7942 times

Board index   Other Sports  Regional Cricket Comps