How good would we be now, if we played today?

Local cricket is the go here. Any talk about local comps, grade cricket, etc.

How good would we be now, if we played today?

Postby #hashtag » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:23 pm

I'm sure some other cricketers whose heyday was 30 odd years ago, like me, would be questioning how they would compare to current day cricket standards.

I have seen several games this year, and let me tell you, I believe I would dominate.

#notwhatitusedtobe
#dontmakethemlikethayusedto
#bigballsnothelmets
#hashtag

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Re: How good would we be now, if we played today?

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:00 am

#hashtag wrote:I'm sure some other cricketers whose heyday was 30 odd years ago, like me, would be questioning how they would compare to current day cricket standards.

I have seen several games this year, and let me tell you, I believe I would dominate.

#notwhatitusedtobe
#bigballsnothelmets

dont think this thread has been given the credit it deserves... i agree hashtag i think cricketers of yesteryear would dominate these days. No one has patience anymore, blokes want to score 100s in minimum overs, want to show how big they can hit bombs while bowers rarely bowl in partnerships, blokes who bowl pedestrian snot too self indulged trying to bouncers or shit ass yorkers instead of working out a batsman and setting him up over a few overs to knock him over!
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Has liked: 402 times
Been liked: 285 times

Postby auto » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:58 am

Phantom Gossiper wrote:
#hashtag wrote:I'm sure some other cricketers whose heyday was 30 odd years ago, like me, would be questioning how they would compare to current day cricket standards.

#notwhatitusedtobe
#bigballsnothelmets

dont think this thread has been given the credit it deserves... i agree hashtag i think cricketers of yesteryear would dominate these days. No one has patience anymore, blokes want to score 100s in minimum overs, want to show how big they can hit bombs while bowers rarely bowl in partnerships, blokes who bowl pedestrian snot too self indulged trying to bouncers or shit ass yorkers instead of working out a batsman and setting him up over a few overs to knock him over!

interesting concept
auto
League - Top 5

Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 29 times
Grassroots Team: Fitzroy

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:00 am

auto wrote:
Phantom Gossiper wrote:

#notwhatitusedtobe
#bigballsnothelmets

interesting concept

wish i had more friends setting me up :P
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Postby gadj1976 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:15 am

i was only thinking the other day whether a Boycott or Tavare still had a place in test cricket today. I suspect not but wonder what others think.

Just reading the forum title and where it's placed, I think hashtag might be suggesting that he'd dominate the local comp. I was thinking more at a national/international level.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 796 times
Been liked: 850 times

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:31 am

gadj1976 wrote:i was only thinking the other day whether a Boycott or Tavare still had a place in test cricket today. I suspect not but wonder what others think.

Just reading the forum title and where it's placed, I think hashtag might be suggesting that he'd dominate the local comp. I was thinking more at a national/international level.

i think the standard of cricket has dropped across the board. Sure you have some quality cricketers at national level, but they are gifted baggy greens these days instead of working hard and earning it like the good ol days through dominant performances year after year!

At community level, the standard is definately much lower than it was say 10 years ago, see some of the clowns running around playing in high grades now and you think wow really?! SPAZ!
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Postby #hashtag » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:25 pm

Phantom Gossiper wrote:

#notwhatitusedtobe
#bigballsnothelmets

Thank you for backing this thread, I thought that it could bring all of the community together to openly debate, present vs past.

You know, there are so many things going for the batsmen these days:
bigger bats,
scosa umpires
Shorter boundarys

the balls arnt hand stitched anymore, not as much movement

the bowlers bowl from further back, instead of dragging the back foot

covered wickets

better rollers

more protection

better protection

And to the other reply, I was talking about amateur cricket, not international cricket, im not that arrogant.

#mightaswellbowlunderarm
#youblokeshaventlived
#banhelmets
#andheadprotection
#hashtag

Postby Yardy Lard » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:48 am

Think this thread was started by somebody who wants to be better than they were, or did not achieve what they wanted out of the game. I think we have to be fair to the guys who play today.

After 35 years in the game, I feel qualified to give a fair assessment, without going back to the thoughts of our day and potting the players of today.

Players today are fitter and stronger and their fielding is 200% better than players when I played.

I played at a Grade club for 20+ years, went and coached at ATCA level for 10 years and then back at Grade level,. The fielding back when playing, consisted of 20 catches, a few long balls and go in for a beer. A bit of running and not much else. The guys today field for hours, and do much work on their fitness.

They are 200% better athletes than we were. The fielding today is much, much better.

I do think the game has gone off in batting and bowling however. Grade Cricket now is still excellent at A Grade standard, with not much changing in standard over the years, BUT it drops off quickly when you get to B Grade and C Grade. D Grade is simply appalling.

Many of the good Grade players have headed to ATCA level, for a variety of reason. Relaxed training, less Sundays, less T20 and mid week games, less training and also the financial gain these days at ATCA clubs. Also, only 80 overs in a day is a huge benefit, as opposed to the 96 overs at Grade level. Many grade players have to be at the ground now at 9.30am for a normal 11.00am start and this often is a problem for employment, for those working Saturday mornings.

ATCA cricket has been smart enough to work out that 80 overs in days play and staring at 1.00pm allows more players to play, and sooner or later is attractive to Grade players.

Grade cricket has not worked out the the extra 16 overs and 3 sessions does nothing more than give bowlers 5-6 and 7 to bowl crap in the middle of an innings. This does nothing for the bowlers and nothing for the batsmen to face 16 overs of shit in the middle of an innings. The sooner that they go back to bowling 80 overs, this will eliminate the shit being bowled which does nothing for anyone. Bowlers can bowl hard for 80 overs and just 4 bowlers and a possible fifth bowler is sufficient. The quality of a days play is kept for the duration of the day. This was only brought in when Greg Chappell changed Grade cricket, when he was the Redbacks coach and should revert instantly.

It most certainly is no where near as good a quality from B Grade standard and down. I think the standard of ATCA however has got much better and that the top level of ATCA level is as good as Grade Cricket B Grade. The better players are filtering to the ATCA clubs much earlier in life now and the quality is not at a Grade club, as the older blokes do not stay around any more. The kids play B Grade cricket at at Grade club when not ready for it, and also without the experienced old heads around.

All up the standard of player is still here today. The quality has filtered to ATCA level and unfortunately at Grade Cricket, it has dropped off markedly.

The Futures League which Mr Cox and the SACA, are hoping will improve the standard will IMO actually do the opposite. Not many Grade players who you talk to are in favour of the new system that will be around next year. Grade cricket certainly cant afford to have a D Grade other than for 2 ovals, as another 4-5 players will be missing from the elite Grade clubs.

Maybe just have Under 16 Reds sharing the oval with a C Grade side and getting rid of the D Grade and Under 16 Whites, to avoid the extra oval.

In all - I don't think I would have been a better player now.
Yardy Lard
Under 16s

Postby Tony Clifton » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:12 pm

How good?

Probably as good as the guys who played in the 1950's and 60's thought they'd have been if they'd played in the 1970's and 80's.

Yardy Lard wrote:Think this thread was started by somebody who wants to be better than they were, or did not achieve what they wanted out of the game. I think we have to be fair to the guys who play today.

After 35 years in the game, I feel qualified to give a fair assessment, without going back to the thoughts of our day and potting the players of today.

Players today are fitter and stronger and their fielding is 200% better than players when I played.

I played at a Grade club for 20+ years, went and coached at ATCA level for 10 years and then back at Grade level,. The fielding back when playing, consisted of 20 catches, a few long balls and go in for a beer. A bit of running and not much else. The guys today field for hours, and do much work on their fitness.

They are 200% better athletes than we were. The fielding today is much, much better.

I do think the game has gone off in batting and bowling however. Grade Cricket now is still excellent at A Grade standard, with not much changing in standard over the years, BUT it drops off quickly when you get to B Grade and C Grade. D Grade is simply appalling.

Many of the good Grade players have headed to ATCA level, for a variety of reason. Relaxed training, less Sundays, less T20 and mid week games, less training and also the financial gain these days at ATCA clubs. Also, only 80 overs in a day is a huge benefit, as opposed to the 96 overs at Grade level. Many grade players have to be at the ground now at 9.30am for a normal 11.00am start and this often is a problem for employment, for those working Saturday mornings.

ATCA cricket has been smart enough to work out that 80 overs in days play and staring at 1.00pm allows more players to play, and sooner or later is attractive to Grade players.

Grade cricket has not worked out the the extra 16 overs and 3 sessions does nothing more than give bowlers 5-6 and 7 to bowl crap in the middle of an innings. This does nothing for the bowlers and nothing for the batsmen to face 16 overs of shit in the middle of an innings. The sooner that they go back to bowling 80 overs, this will eliminate the shit being bowled which does nothing for anyone. Bowlers can bowl hard for 80 overs and just 4 bowlers and a possible fifth bowler is sufficient. The quality of a days play is kept for the duration of the day. This was only brought in when Greg Chappell changed Grade cricket, when he was the Redbacks coach and should revert instantly.

It most certainly is no where near as good a quality from B Grade standard and down. I think the standard of ATCA however has got much better and that the top level of ATCA level is as good as Grade Cricket B Grade. The better players are filtering to the ATCA clubs much earlier in life now and the quality is not at a Grade club, as the older blokes do not stay around any more. The kids play B Grade cricket at at Grade club when not ready for it, and also without the experienced old heads around.

All up the standard of player is still here today. The quality has filtered to ATCA level and unfortunately at Grade Cricket, it has dropped off markedly.

The Futures League which Mr Cox and the SACA, are hoping will improve the standard will IMO actually do the opposite. Not many Grade players who you talk to are in favour of the new system that will be around next year. Grade cricket certainly cant afford to have a D Grade other than for 2 ovals, as another 4-5 players will be missing from the elite Grade clubs.

Maybe just have Under 16 Reds sharing the oval with a C Grade side and getting rid of the D Grade and Under 16 Whites, to avoid the extra oval.

In all - I don't think I would have been a better player now.

Great post. The 80 overs thing is spot on. The extra 16 overs of bullshit medium pace and dart offies with a ring field adds nothing.

The biggest thing I've noticed changing is the age of the players. C and D Grade in particuar is predominantly teenagers. The odd gnarled veteran still getting around but very few players between the ages of 22-35. When I started the bulk of players were in this age group.

I think a big part of it is gender equality. It used to just be a given that the man played cricket every Saturday and got smashed saturday night at the club while the wife looked after the kids or the girlfriend was on-hand to drive the boyfriend home later. It wasn't questioned. Try and suggest that now... how does get f***ed sound? So now grade cricket below A Grade is just divorcees, blokes who wish they were divorcees and are trying to get away, single blokes and kids.
This is Tony Clifton! A name to respect! A name to fear!
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1462 times
Been liked: 244 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide University

Postby Dogwatcher » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:46 am

Tony Clifton wrote: The biggest thing I've noticed changing is the age of the players. C and D Grade in particuar is predominantly teenagers. The odd gnarled veteran still getting around but very few players between the ages of 22-35. When I started the bulk of players were in this age group.

I think a big part of it is gender equality. It used to just be a given that the man played cricket every Saturday and got smashed saturday night at the club while the wife looked after the kids or the girlfriend was on-hand to drive the boyfriend home later. It wasn't questioned. Try and suggest that now... how does get f***ed sound? So now grade cricket below A Grade is just divorcees, blokes who wish they were divorcees and are trying to get away, single blokes and kids.

That is so true. I saw that change in the short time I was playing senior cricket between 1997 and 2007.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Booney » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:18 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:
Tony Clifton wrote: The biggest thing I've noticed changing is the age of the players. C and D Grade in particuar is predominantly teenagers. The odd gnarled veteran still getting around but very few players between the ages of 22-35. When I started the bulk of players were in this age group.

That is so true. I saw that change in the short time I was playing senior cricket between 1997 and 2007.

Yep, agreed. The time poor ( family men between 25-35 ) simply have bigger things on their plate than some hit a giggle on the weekends and that full day ( face it, nobody is away from home from 12-6 only ) on a Saturday is too precious to give up for many.

I know thats what saw to the end of my days. Work commitments during the week coupled with my own kids junior sporting commitments on weekends ( I have had my day in the sun, time to put time and effort into their pursuits ) meant my own sporting involvement had come to an end. I can tell you I wasn't happy about it, but I knew my time had come.

I've since taken up having a hit of baseball, which, only playing for 2 hours is a little more palatable as far as time away from home goes. Even this has suffered by helping out with some junior coaching, but I love being involved with my kids sport and would have it no other way.

My lad is going on 17 and I dont see a time when I wont want to be involved or be interested in seeing him play.

As for the topic at hand, anyone who thinks would be better than the people they have watched play the game today probably thought the same thing plodding around in the C grade when they played themselves.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7538 times
Been liked: 10856 times

Board index   Other Sports  Regional Cricket Comps