ATCA

Local cricket is the go here. Any talk about local comps, grade cricket, etc.

Re: ATCA

Postby Punter707 » Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:05 pm

A1 - Team of the year will be a tough one this year as well imo
Few players have been a little inconsistent which makes judging these teams open to debate.

I wouldn't like to be the one picking it this season.
Punter707
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby Senor Moto Gadili » Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:21 pm

Latest forecast is for rain on Saturday morning with 1 to 5mm. Pooraka aren't using their covers are they?
Senor Moto Gadili
Veteran

Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 532 times

Postby tigerpie » Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:59 pm

Senor Moto Gadili wrote:Latest forecast is for rain on Saturday morning with 1 to 5mm. Pooraka aren't using their covers are they?

They do when it matters.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 502 times
Been liked: 431 times

Postby Trader » Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:34 am

tigerpie wrote:
Senor Moto Gadili wrote:Latest forecast is for rain on Saturday morning with 1 to 5mm. Pooraka aren't using their covers are they?

They do when it matters.

Correct, Pooraka are not a nominated covers club for minor rounds, will have them on for finals though.

Rain should fall between 2am and 1pm, grounds with covers might have a late start but should play you would think.
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 794 times

Postby Bluedemon » Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:01 pm

Trader wrote:
tigerpie wrote:

They do when it matters.

Correct, Pooraka are not a nominated covers club for minor rounds, will have them on for finals though.

Rain should fall between 2am and 1pm, grounds with covers might have a late start but should play you would think.

Depends on the outfield also.
SAFooty.net, where you hear the community football news first
Bluedemon
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 83 times
Been liked: 97 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby no_remorse28 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:15 pm

Grange defeated Scotch

The final points tally between them and Ingle Farm would be quite close Grange maybe jumping them
no_remorse28
Reserves

Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 71 times
Grassroots Team: Para Hills

Postby Senor Moto Gadili » Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:07 pm

no_remorse28 wrote:Grange defeated Scotch

The final points tally between them and Ingle Farm would be quite close Grange maybe jumping them

Grange jump Farmers to 4th and Old Scotch relegated to A2. A shame that most games washed out.
Senor Moto Gadili
Veteran

Postby no_remorse28 » Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:36 am

Senor Moto Gadili wrote:
no_remorse28 wrote:Grange defeated Scotch

Grange jump Farmers to 4th and Old Scotch relegated to A2. A shame that most games washed out.

Yeah not an ideal way to finish a very even season, cricket is a peick sometimes.
no_remorse28
Reserves

Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 71 times
Grassroots Team: Para Hills

Postby tigerpie » Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:28 pm

Not sure where I'm at with this.
If more than 50% of games are abandoned, even with covers on then call it off?
Or bad luck, that's cricket, move on?
Sucks to be ingle farm, or scotch for that matter.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Postby amber_fluid » Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:04 pm

Gepps Cross in A3 also the beneficiary of covers at Trinity and gone from 6th to 3rd in the final round.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2229 times
Been liked: 2523 times

Postby Reilly » Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:54 am

Yeah I don't agree with this decision by ATCA. If it wasn't the last round I dare say it would have been called off across the board. To miss finals or be relegated for that matter because one game out of the six went ahead is unfair IMO.
Reilly

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 4 times
Grassroots Team: Flinders Park

Postby Senor Moto Gadili » Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:08 pm

Reilly wrote:Yeah I don't agree with this decision by ATCA. If it wasn't the last round I dare say it would have been called off across the board. To miss finals or be relegated for that matter because one game out of the six went ahead is unfair IMO.

It does seem a little unfair to have so few games proceed when there is so much on the line, however, I don't believe ATCA would have called all games if it wasn't the last game of the minor round. They have been very open about clubs being able to proceed if they have covers. Clubs invest heavily to get covers and then have them in place each week. Saturday was an opportunity for them to get a return on their investment. Some clubs benefitted and some didn't. In some cases it was the luck of the draw. Across the ATCA 2-Day comp, only 10 games out of 42 were able to play, which includes the C1 game, Adelaide Uni v Blue Brigade, which is the only game to proceed on an uncovered wicket. Yes, the wicket was trashed and Blue Brigade were bowled out for 80 and 32. Of the 16 grounds with covers, 9 were able to play.
The big winners ....
Grange chased down 267 against Old Scotch and displaced Ingle Farm in 4th spot
Marion beat Trinity and avoided relegation, while Trinity's bonus points from playing Saturday enabled them to stay up over Old Scotch
In A2, Port Districts chased down Payneham's 261 and displaced Woodville Rechabites in 4th spot.
In A3, Gepps Cross beat Tinity OS outright to jump from 6th to 3rd, which meant Old Concordians missed out.
In B!, Goodwood got away and as a result jumped Pooraka into top spot.
The big losers ....
Ingle Farm .... they were looking pretty comfortable after making 313, but Walkerville only have a single pitch cover, so they don't really have covers at all.
Old Scotch
Woodville Rechabites
Senor Moto Gadili
Veteran

Postby daysofourlives » Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:15 pm

I don't understand why all clubs in A1 wouldn't be made to have adequate covers?
Surely the priorities are wrong if clubs can afford to pay players but not be able to afford covers?
They're not that expensive anyway
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2424 times
Been liked: 1660 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby Senor Moto Gadili » Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:01 pm

daysofourlives wrote:I don't understand why all clubs in A1 wouldn't be made to have adequate covers?
Surely the priorities are wrong if clubs can afford to pay players but not be able to afford covers?
They're not that expensive anyway

I agree. It's not just the cost. It also requires a few humans to help out, which well organised clubs should be able to overcome. At the moment, it is left to the clubs, so it's easy for a club to opt out of having covers. I would be in favour of ATCA mandating that all A1 sides have adequate covers and site screens. By adequate, I mean big enough to cover the whole square, not just a single wicket. Of course, having covers doesn't guarantee you will play, as we saw on Saturday where a number of grounds with covers weren't fit to play. Same in SACA. However, it gives you more chance and evens up the playing field.
Senor Moto Gadili
Veteran

Postby tigerpie » Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:32 pm

Senor Moto Gadili wrote:
Reilly wrote:Yeah I don't agree with this decision by ATCA. If it wasn't the last round I dare say it would have been called off across the board. To miss finals or be relegated for that matter because one game out of the six went ahead is unfair IMO.

It does seem a little unfair to have so few games proceed when there is so much on the line, however, I don't believe ATCA would have called all games if it wasn't the last game of the minor round. They have been very open about clubs being able to proceed if they have covers. Clubs invest heavily to get covers and then have them in place each week. Saturday was an opportunity for them to get a return on their investment. Some clubs benefitted and some didn't. In some cases it was the luck of the draw. Across the ATCA 2-Day comp, only 10 games out of 42 were able to play, which includes the C1 game, Adelaide Uni v Blue Brigade, which is the only game to proceed on an uncovered wicket. Yes, the wicket was trashed and Blue Brigade were bowled out for 80 and 32. Of the 16 grounds with covers, 9 were able to play.
The big winners ....
Grange chased down 267 against Old Scotch and displaced Ingle Farm in 4th spot
Marion beat Trinity and avoided relegation, while Trinity's bonus points from playing Saturday enabled them to stay up over Old Scotch
In A2, Port Districts chased down Payneham's 261 and displaced Woodville Rechabites in 4th spot.
In A3, Gepps Cross beat Tinity OS outright to jump from 6th to 3rd, which meant Old Concordians missed out.
In B!, Goodwood got away and as a result jumped Pooraka into top spot.
The big losers ....
Ingle Farm .... they were looking pretty comfortable after making 313, but Walkerville only have a single pitch cover, so they don't really have covers at all.
Old Scotch
Woodville Rechabites

There's been a couple of times when our pitches have been covered, and we're down south, and we've been able to play but all clubs north of us got the majority of the rain. Atca called it off.
We could've played and I think one time we even had a centre hit.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Postby bulldogs » Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:58 am

I’m with Tiger pie, I believe association would of cancelled all games if it wasn’t last minor round game. This is what should of happened, totally unfair that so little games get away. Strange that the only two games that got away in A1was those games that had so much to play for.
I also believe Atca need to look out how they award points for washouts. Teams that didn’t get away got to split the 10 points and get there bonus points from first day, these teams are severely hampered by not getting bonus points on the 2nd day. Grange jumped Ingle farm by the bonus points they received on the 2nd day. Maybe each side should get 8 points for a washout. Being washed out really should see you only being approx 5 points behind a team playing that wins not 8 or 9 , also teams playing and losing end up with similar points to a side washed out, hardly seems fair
bulldogs
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 15 times

Postby Down the Hill » Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:24 am

Forecast was for up to 5mm and by 9am it was hard to tell just how much rain was still going to fall. ATCA policy is to try and make a call by 9am and they would have looked stupid if they called off and more games could got on than what eventually did. Swings and roundabouts as to what can unfold during a season with wash outs. A shame it happened in R11 but it is what it is.
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 276 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby the smokey » Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:28 am

Slightly different from my perspective I'm all for cancelling Day 1 of a two-day game if the weather is bad across the state but once games are all underway I have no issues with ATCA continuing with the round and allowing clubs with covers and geographical advantage to try and get away. I don't play for one of the clubs that was affected by this but at the end of the day what will be will be -

some of the sides that missed out by small margins I'm sure can look back at the year and question other parts of the year rather than the final day. let's not forget we started the season with a wet week where very few one day's games got away as well.
the smokey
Rookie

Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 27 times

Postby Reilly » Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:33 am

Down the Hill wrote:Forecast was for up to 5mm and by 9am it was hard to tell just how much rain was still going to fall. ATCA policy is to try and make a call by 9am and they would have looked stupid if they called off and more games could got on than what eventually did. Swings and roundabouts as to what can unfold during a season with wash outs. A shame it happened in R11 but it is what it is.

Wouldn't have been the first time they were caught out if they had made the call... I just think, given it was the last day of the last round it was the only 'fair' thing to do. I know if I was a member of the IF A1 team I'd be pretty disappointed.
Reilly

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 4 times
Grassroots Team: Flinders Park

Postby Tony Clifton » Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:07 am

If a World Cup match in Manchester gets rained out but the game in London on the same day gets played it's bad luck
This is Tony Clifton! A name to respect! A name to fear!
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1462 times
Been liked: 244 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide University

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Regional Cricket Comps