From Country SA to the Big stage: an AFL debutant's story

Adelaide Footy League, Southern, Country Footy, VFL, WAFL, NTFL, etc.

From Country SA to the Big stage: an AFL debutant's story

Postby AD » Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:04 pm

This is just an article I wrote a while ago:

The roar of the crowd, the blare of the siren, the chirp of the umpire’s whistle, the realisation of a childhood dream.

To play an AFL game in front of thousands of screaming fans is what many Australian kids wish for as they kick the football in their backyard, pretending they are playing alongside their idols.

This wish came true for Lewis Johnston, a 20 year old who was plucked from his hometown of Port Pirie, where he played his junior footy at the Port Bulldogs, and thrown into the hustle and bustle of Australia’s biggest city.

On Saturday he made his AFL debut for the Sydney Swans against North Melbourne at Melbourne’s Etihad Stadium.

Johnston had to bide his time and wait for the opportunity to play a senior game.

He spent three years on the Swans’ list after being drafted from SANFL side North Adelaide at pick 12 in the 2008 National Draft before getting the call up.

It was at a meeting for a chat and cup of tea with the Swans’ head coach last Wednesday that Johnston found out he was in the side for the week.

“John Longmire (Sydney Swans AFL coach) rang me up and asked me to have a cup of tea with him, so I went into the club and we went into his office where he shook my hand and said congratulations,” Johnston said.

“I was so excited but extremely nervous as well as I knew it wasn’t going to be easy.”

Sydney Swans captain Jarrad McVeigh told the Herald Sun that Johnston’s elevation was well deserved by his young teammate, noting a change of attitude as a big factor in his selection.

“He’s listened to what the coaches and players have wanted from him, and this year he has really stepped up and learnt how to play senior footy,” McVeigh said.

“This year there has been a considerable change in his attitude to the previous two years.”

Despite the nerves and excitement Johnston prepared for the game as he would any other.

I don’t really have a set routine as I’m pretty laid back going into a game,” Johnston said.

“I just made sure I was hydrated and had eaten enough food.”

The game was played in front of a parochial North Melbourne Kangaroos crowd, which made for an intimidating atmosphere as Johnston ran out with the team for the first time.

“No-one cheered for us as everyone was Kangaroos fans,” he said.

With his parents in the crowd, Johnston began the game in unspectacular fashion.

The highlight of his game didn’t come until the third quarter, where he kicked his first ever AFL goal.

After receiving a free kick at the 50 metre mark, he found himself lining up the goals from a tough angle out on the flank.

At training I always have shots from that exact position so I was confident I’d kick it straight,” Johnston said.

“I thought it may have been touched on the line so I was just waiting for the umpire to signal the goal and when he did I was pretty excited, it was amazing how all the boys got around me.”

The Swans managed to hold on and win the game for a point, meaning Johnston and his teammates were able to sing the club song in the rooms.

He endured the traditional soaking in Powerade that many AFL players receive after their first win at AFL level, as they stand in the middle of the circle formed by their teammates.

“It was good fun, I didn’t get to sing the song much as I had Powerade all over me and it was stinging my eyes,” Johnston said.

“It was a great feeling though.”

Johnston finds himself back at the Sydney Reserves this weekend but the experience of playing on the big stage will certainly not be forgotten.
AD
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Border Districts

Re: From Country SA to the Big stage: an AFL debutant's story

Postby Media Park » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:33 pm

Good read AD!
Direct quote:
Wedgie wrote:I wear skin tight arseless leather pants, wtf do you wear?
Media Park
Coach

Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Boston

Re: From Country SA to the Big stage: an AFL debutant's story

Postby AD » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:51 pm

Media Park wrote:Good read AD!

Cheers.
AD
Rookie