Media's footy write up efforts?

Adelaide Footy League, Southern, Country Footy, VFL, WAFL, NTFL, etc.

Media's footy write up efforts?

Postby Media Park » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:57 am

Someone posted something in Generals about the writing I've been bragging about, so I'll post one here.

Feel free to bag me out, give advice, or anything else...

Tigers win thriller
Written by James Gloyn

With Tasmans boasting a who’s who of outs, a few pundits thought an upset may have been on the cards, and the outcome was one of the closest games in recent times, with the Tigers winning by just three points. One could have been forgiven for thinking it was the Masters Games, with Tasmans stalwart David Stoeckel, and Boston veteran Brett Watherston lining up for their respective sides.
In-form Tasman midfielder Pat Brown lined up on Bostons Stephen Rees early and this was a very good duel throughout the day, whilst playmaker Matt Dodd began the match loose on the half back line.
Rhys Marsh got the Tigers moving forward early, however points were the early flavour of the day, and instead of being three goals up early, the Tigers had just three behinds. Dale Gericke and Michael Tabe continued their form from the previous week, finding plenty of the ball, whilst Dodd and Scott Forrest controlled the Tasman half back line with a lot of contested ball.
The revamped Tasman defence, which at times included regular forward Brad Cimarosti, was under siege early in the second term, although goals were at a premium, with Adam Hywood snapping a classy goal under pressure; however Andrew Frick got an immediate reply, a rare highlight in his duel with Tabe.
Steven Craige, in his second game of the day, was put onto Paul Franklin, who had begun impressively, and did a fair job of shutting him down, and Tasmans Sean Emery, in his second League game of the season, did enough to show that he will be a future talent for the Roosters.
Towards the end of the second term, David Stoeckel joined the fray, going into the ruck, and turning back the clock, and not looking out of place at all.
Pat Brown began the third term with plenty of disposal, and one would have thought that he was winning the duel with Rees, despite the latter kicking a vital goal after earning a free kick. Jayden Roderick proved again he is the Tigers “Premiership quarter player,” after continuing the goal scoring after busting through the pack, and getting possessions at will. Ky Miller then kicked his first and only goal after a good passage of play involving Rees and Marsh, and it was the Tigers last score of the match.
Tasmans got an early goal through Cimarosti; his second of the day, but the tight contested play meant that this goal was the last of the day, although the impressive Emery had a difficult shot on goal late, which could have won the match for the Roosters. Late in the term Raikiwasa began to find the ball, but it was too little, too late for the Roosters, as Brett Watherston marked just before the siren, and the match finished with the ball in his hands, with the resultant after the siren kick well and truly off-line, giving the Tigers their second win of the season.
The under-manned Roosters were well served by Pat Brown who garnered possession at will, and Cimarosti, switching between forward and defence.
Bostons would have been happy with the output of Damon King and Larry Stimson, who both played their best games at this level, and the old-firm of Miller and Marsh, who were at their brilliant best all day.
Next week Tasmans travel to Mallee Park, and will look forward to a few players returning in this big clash, whilst Bostons will take on Marble Range at Ravendale, in a match that now carries a lot of interest for the fourth spot battle.
Direct quote:
Wedgie wrote:I wear skin tight arseless leather pants, wtf do you wear?
Media Park
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Boston

Re: Media's footy write up efforts?

Postby Sky Pilot » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:16 am

that reads okay to me MP? Are you saying this is a good example of country footy reporting or a bad example. Like, some of the stuff that gets written by amateur "correspondents" in many regional tabloids is truly appalling. Have a look at the Transcontinental in Pt Augusta and the Recorder in Pt Pirie - ewwww!
People who bought this book also bought a stool and some rope. Unknown literary critic
Sky Pilot
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: BMW

Postby Brodlach » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:18 am

Sky Pilot wrote:that reads okay to me MP? Are you saying this is a good example of country footy reporting or a bad example. Like, some of the stuff that gets written by amateur "correspondents" in many regional tabloids is truly appalling. Have a look at the Transcontinental in Pt Augusta and the Recorder in Pt Pirie - ewwww!

This is a report MP wrote for the local newspaper. He did a great job.
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4217 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Sky Pilot » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:22 am

Brodlach wrote:
Sky Pilot wrote:that reads okay to me MP? Are you saying this is a good example of country footy reporting or a bad example. Like, some of the stuff that gets written by amateur "correspondents" in many regional tabloids is truly appalling. Have a look at the Transcontinental in Pt Augusta and the Recorder in Pt Pirie - ewwww!

This is a report MP wrote for the local newspaper. He did a great job.

Yeah I thought it read okay. Good on him for having a go
People who bought this book also bought a stool and some rope. Unknown literary critic
Sky Pilot
Assistant Coach

Postby Media Park » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:14 pm

Cheers Sky Pilot...

I did a preview for one of the junior finals this week, and gave a kid a huge wrap...

He facebooked how embarrassed he was!!!
Direct quote:
Media Park
Coach

Postby AD » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:41 pm

Was that for the Port Lincoln Times, MP?

I did the season preview for all the clubs when I was doing my internship there earlier this year.
AD
Rookie

Grassroots Team: Border Districts

Postby Media Park » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:22 am

Yeah mate, PLT... :D
Direct quote:
Media Park
Coach

Postby AD » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:21 am

Media Park wrote:Yeah mate, PLT... :D

It's a good paper. I'm from Port Pirie originally and did some work experience at the Recorder as a 16 year old about 5 years ago now. Was at the PLT just before the season started. Almost can't compare them. I guess because much more happens in Lincoln.

Was good footy to cover, too. I spoke to everyone but Waybacks (Horgan was busy the week I was there) and Mallee Park (the older journos said they'd take care of it themselves). Troy Hull, Glynne Owen and Phil Vivian especially were good coaches to work with from a media point of view.

I might end up back there some day. Or at least I'd like to. Look out for the initials AD.
AD
Rookie

Postby Sky Pilot » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:49 pm

Media Park wrote:Cheers Sky Pilot...

I did a preview for one of the junior finals this week, and gave a kid a huge wrap...

He facebooked how embarrassed he was!!!

I took a photo of a lawn bowler few years ago who later came up to me and asked that I not put it in the paper because he shouldn't be there as he was out on parole. I nearly cacked my pants
Sky Pilot
Assistant Coach

Postby Media Park » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:30 am

AD wrote:I might end up back there some day. Or at least I'd like to. Look out for the initials AD.

So you're not the CEO of the AFL?
Direct quote:
Media Park
Coach

Postby AD » Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:53 am

Media Park wrote:
AD wrote:I might end up back there some day. Or at least I'd like to. Look out for the initials AD.

So you're not the CEO of the AFL?

Only by day.
AD
Rookie

Postby Media Park » Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:27 pm

http://www.portlincolntimes.com.au/news ... torypage=0

From our local under 17 grand final.
Direct quote:
Media Park
Coach

Postby Brodlach » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:57 pm

Nice work MP
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4217 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues