pound for pound toughest s.a footballers

Adelaide Footy League, Southern, Country Footy, VFL, WAFL, NTFL, etc.

Re: pound for pound toughest s.a footballers

Postby woodublieve12 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:10 pm

Gino Pegoraro
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3037 times
Been liked: 2407 times

Postby Signman1972 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:31 am

GWW wrote:Leroy Kennedy, RMFL in late 80's and early 90's, played for I think Jamestown or somewhere before that I think.

Leroy played for Peterborough, he played in the Saint Shine in 1979 Premiership side with my Dad, Dennis Russell, Doggy O'Dea and other greats with Mike Underwood as coach (Kelly Underwood Channel 10 - Dad.)

In 1980 when Port Broughton entered the Northern Areas Competition as Premiers from another league (Upper Yorke Peninsular), they had a great rivalry, Peterborough beat them by 10 goals at Broughton - Later that night a massive fight broke out and an ex-con (Player from PB) got the shits with Leroy & glassed his face. I was (8) and there in the Port Broughton Hotel.

Yes he was tough!!!!!!!
Signman1972
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: North Clare

Postby Signman1972 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:43 am

Hazbeen wrote:Gary Wehr at Balaklava got smashed from pillar to post every week and still won B & F's and a Mail Medal.

David Shegog was the toughest I seen. He was from Encounter Bay & Balaklava also, he was National Bull riding Champion 1979-81, he rode rodeos, but played football to keep fit, In 1984 he played 5 Reserves games to qualify. The 2nd Semi in the too's, his first A-Grade game for the season was Grand Final day - You know who won BOG that day - David shegog
He had buckets for hands & wasn't scared to throw them!
One Saturday night a bloke bumped into his Misses in the Local Pub & he refused to apologise - he crawled out on hands &
knees picking his teeth up as he went!
Signman1972
Rookie

Postby Signman1972 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:45 am

Mick Kluske - Another Bull Rider from Mypolonga was another tough one!
Signman1972
Rookie

Postby overloaded » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:46 am

Les Mundy from Mallee Park in PLFL
therealROSSCO wrote:Now listen to this loud and clear.....

I have not been approached to coach at the WFC this year, next year or any year. I have not approached the WFC to coach this year, next year or any year. This is an unconditional statement.
overloaded
2009 Punting Comp Winner

Postby One Eyed » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:04 pm

Think you read the heading wrong mate

Signman1972 wrote:
Hazbeen wrote:Gary Wehr at Balaklava got smashed from pillar to post every week and still won B & F's and a Mail Medal.

David Shegog was the toughest I seen. He was from Encounter Bay & Balaklava also, he was National Bull riding Champion 1979-81, he rode rodeos, but played football to keep fit, In 1984 he played 5 Reserves games to qualify. The 2nd Semi in the too's, his first A-Grade game for the season was Grand Final day - You know who won BOG that day - David shegog
One Saturday night a bloke bumped into his Misses in the Local Pub & he refused to apologise - he crawled out on hands &
One Eyed
League - Best 21

Grassroots Team: Westminster OS

Postby Signman1972 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:17 pm

One Eyed wrote:Think you read the heading wrong mate

How What?
Small blokes who played football tough in South Australia!

Signman1972 wrote:

Signman1972
Rookie

Postby ORDoubleBlues » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:35 pm

Have to mention old mate James Vaninetti who didn't just play for us but also played for Marion, Barossa Districts and some good A1 footy for Edwardstown back in the days when Simon Quinn was coaching them.
Admittedly he was bulked up but played well for a bloke who was only 5'5/5'6.

David Murphy from Mount Barker who would only be about 5'3 (60 kilos i'm guessing) would rarely have shirked a contest and I feel he could have played SANFL football if he'd given it a shot.
R.I.P. Patrice Lumumba 1925 - 1961
ORDoubleBlues
League - Top 5

Been liked: 10 times
Grassroots Team: Macclesfield

Postby a2m » Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:31 pm

Luke 'the seagull' hosy would crush those guys and eat them for dinner...
----------------------
Chicks dig scars...
a2m
Under 16s

Grassroots Team: Morphettville Park

Postby ORDoubleBlues » Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:39 pm

How many SANFL games did he play?
R.I.P. Patrice Lumumba 1925 - 1961
ORDoubleBlues
League - Top 5

Been liked: 10 times
Grassroots Team: Macclesfield

Postby Jimmy » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:24 pm

in my 6 games of div 10 footy for POS back in 2000, i played with and against some ******* tough nuts, most crazy too. one teammate, cant remember his name, looked like michael voss a bit, red shaved hair, freckles, solid build about 5'9". consistently went in against bigger blokes and was always onm the bottom of the pack, just used to love watching him play...didnt say much, kept to himself, drank like a fish and i think *** half the groupies that hung around POS that year...i left after that year but he had some friends who were murdered in the Qld hostel fire around that time which affected him a bit. if anyone knows his name, would appreciate a PM. we were coached by ben finnis then, a lawyer who had bad knees but was a gun for POS div 5 side then.
Carn the blues!!!!!
Jimmy
Coach

Has liked: 125 times
Been liked: 44 times

Postby overloaded » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:35 pm

His name would be Tony Zanker
therealROSSCO wrote:Now listen to this loud and clear.....

I have not been approached to coach at the WFC this year, next year or any year. I have not approached the WFC to coach this year, next year or any year. This is an unconditional statement.
overloaded
2009 Punting Comp Winner

Postby Iron Fist » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:05 pm

hollywood7477 wrote:Simon Tucker for Mitcham. Has been hit time and time again and just gets back up. Always seems to get hit twice as hard when we play Portland. Even gets knocked out and gets up. Team mates get inspired when that happens...

Laslett and Bird would have to be up there. Usually bird that gets tucker when they play!
Another one would have to be Andrew Shepley, for a small bloke can take a good hit.
get on board the thunder train!!!
Iron Fist
Veteran

Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 13 times
Grassroots Team: Portland

Postby JK » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:19 pm

Had a bloke out at West Lakes for just the one season (IIRC - was a long time ago now), Scotty Clark, who was a top lad, really chilled out and cruisy sort of bloke.

He wasn't tall and wasn't solid either, but seriously pound for pound this bloke was one of the hardest players I can remember seeing .. Would smash into opponents much bigger and stronger looking and when he tackled someone, they stayed tackled and knew all about it.

Don't really know what became of him, but always remember the way he went about it.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4466 times
Been liked: 2992 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Booney » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:35 pm

Not S.A and not "footy", but John Sattlers efforts in the 1970 Grand Final can't be under estimated.

1970 Grand Final

Sattler has attained legendary status in the game for his role in the 1970 grand final, almost all of which he played with a broken jaw to help Souths to victory over Manly.[1]

In the premiership decider of 1970 South Sydney were up against the Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles at the Sydney Cricket Ground on 19 September. Having lost the previous Grand Final to the Balmain Tigers, Souths were desperate to win. Approximately ten minutes into the game Sattler collapsed after being punched by Manly forward John Bucknall. He suffered a double fracture to his jaw but pleaded to team mate Mike Cleary, "Hold me up so they don't know I'm hurt". He was helped up and continued to play in the game. At half time Souths were leading 12–6 when his fellow team mates learnt about his injury.

During the interval he refused treatment and insisted he continue playing. He also told the side, "the next bloke who tries to cut me out of the play is in trouble," to prevent his team mates trying to protect him from further injury. At the end of the game South Sydney had scored 3 tries to nil in a 23–12 victory. He later went to hospital to receive treatment but only after receiving the Giltinan Shield and making an acceptance speech.

I read that he was putting his jaw back into place very time he got tackled and as you see above he told his team mates if they tried to keep him out of the game and look after him "they were in trouble".

I dips me lid.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7526 times
Been liked: 10831 times

Postby schimma » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:53 pm

ORDoubleBlues wrote:Have to mention old mate James Vaninetti who didn't just play for us but also played for Marion, Barossa Districts and some good A1 footy for Edwardstown back in the days when Simon Quinn was coaching them.
Admittedly he was bulked up but played well for a bloke who was only 5'5/5'6.

David Murphy from Mount Barker who would only be about 5'3 (60 kilos i'm guessing) would rarely have shirked a contest and I feel he could have played SANFL football if he'd given it a shot.

Simon Quinn is still playing. he is at smosh and quinny is one hard nut. great to watch
We're in hell right now gentlemen. Believe me. And we can stay here, get the shit kicked out of us, or we can fight our way back into the light. We can climb outta hell... one inch at a time.
schimma
League - Best 21

Been liked: 2 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Chuck Wepner » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:05 pm

Lyndon Elsworthy (Oigle) Moonta - hard and tough!
I say no to drugs, but they don’t listen.
Chuck Wepner
Under 16s

Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 23 times
Grassroots Team: United Yeelanna

Postby GWW » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:09 pm

I remember watching an Association game about 20 years ago between the Riverland and River Murray. There was a bloke playing for the Riverland who had a black belt in Karate, I think his name was something like Rudi Van Den Beezen...or something like that.

That name sound slightly familiar to anyone?
GWW

Has liked: 816 times
Been liked: 166 times

Postby 200 Killer Wasps » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:50 pm

Rudi, Hady and Tony Van Der Beizen all played for Barmera Monash in the 1970s -80s. Solidly built, skilful and very tough on-ballers.

Rudi was probably the best of the three and although he didnt win a medal was runner up and third place a few times.
I'm reading a book about anti-gravity. I can't put it down.
200 Killer Wasps
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 13 times
Grassroots Team: Wunkar

Postby Jimmy Ricard » Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:30 pm

Damien Williamson from Henley. Skinny half back, that has no respect for his body. Generally plays on bigger opponents and is rarely beaten one on one. Could do some serious damage if he had an extra 10kg on his frame.
Jimmy Ricard
Mini-League

Grassroots Team: Henley

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues