Kick after the Siren to Win the Game

Adelaide Footy League, Southern, Country Footy, VFL, WAFL, NTFL, etc.

Re: Kick after the Siren to Win the Game

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:22 pm

MatteeG wrote:
Baron Greenback wrote:I'm pretty sure new rules are that it's a dead ball.
Got away with one there! Well done! :lol:

Not so sure BG- The Hawthorn v Gold Coast game on the weekend had Clinton Young from the Hawks try his luck with a barrel from about 70 out after one of the sirens (half time?)- one of the young Gold Coasters punched it through for a point which counted.

Cost them the game aswell.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4351 times
Been liked: 7956 times

Postby Fricky » Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:59 pm

1995 Div 2 reserves GF. Brett Smid kicked a goal after the siren to win the flag from about 40m out on a 45 degree angle. Add to this we were down 5.6 to 13.3 at 3 quater time and the final score was 13.8 to 13.4. Smiddy was celebrating as soon as the ball left his boot.
Fricky
League - Best 21

Has liked: 94 times
Been liked: 120 times
Grassroots Team: Walkerville

Postby FOURTH ESTATE » Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:40 am

I remember hearing about this we had only just won our GF and word filtered through. Rostrevor would have been shattered.

Was this the game where a team went and had had their premiership t shirts printed at 3/4 time as they thought they couldn't lose????? 45pts up they would have been confident

Walkerville 3.2 4.6 5.6 13.8
Rostrevor 3.1 7.2 13.3 13.4
2017, 2019 & 2020 PREMIERS
RICHMOND, RICHMOND, RICHMOND.

Let that be a lesson to you Sturt. You don't beat Glenelg 3 times in a row in Grand Finals and get away with it.
FOURTH ESTATE
Veteran

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 128 times
Grassroots Team: Broadview

Postby NO-MERCY » Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:14 pm

FOURTH ESTATE wrote:I remember hearing about this we had only just won our GF and word filtered through. Rostrevor would have been shattered.

Was this the game where a team went and had had their premiership t shirts printed at 3/4 time as they thought they couldn't lose????? 45pts up they would have been confident

Thats a great comeback.
NO-MERCY
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 15 times

Postby Fricky » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:22 pm

FOURTH ESTATE wrote:I remember hearing about this we had only just won our GF and word filtered through. Rostrevor would have been shattered.

Wasnt that Seaton who had the shirts already made up and got done?
Fricky
League - Best 21

Has liked: 94 times
Been liked: 120 times
Grassroots Team: Walkerville

Postby no_remorse28 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:57 pm

was at the Kilburn V Modbury U/16 GF in 2000 I think when A modbury bloke missed a shot on goal after the siren about 35 out, straight infront, Kilburn by 3 points If I remember right
no_remorse28
Reserves

Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 71 times
Grassroots Team: Para Hills

Postby NO-MERCY » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:29 am

Suri wrote:Wasnt that Seaton who had the shirts already made up and got done?

Yes it was they were beaten by SHOC i think?

Back in 1994 the WWTFC Eagles had a heap printed aswell, the group that were in the members bar at half time thought it was time to reveal their t shirts as they believed they were home & hosed.
Well they were nowhere to be seen 10 mins into the last qtr! :oops: :oops: :)) :))
NO-MERCY
Coach

Been liked: 15 times

Postby fisho mcspaz » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:03 pm

NO-MERCY wrote:

Back in 1994 the WWTFC Eagles had a heap printed aswell, the group that were in the members bar at half time thought it was time to reveal their t shirts as they believed they were home & hosed.
Well they were nowhere to be seen 10 mins into the last qtr! :oops: :oops: :)) :))

Yeah that was a terrible day. I was nine at the time and I remember thinking we were done for halfway through the third quarter. Went with my dad and on our way home he said he'd been waiting forty years to see the Eagles beat Port in a grand final and that he could never go and watch the Eagles play again. I didn't believe him because he'd been going every weekend for as long as I could remember, but he kept his word for seven years. (Then turned up to the 2001 grand final, the one where we'd finished minor premiers and were expected to s*** it in. Poor Dad.) :?
Hey Goose, ya big stud! Take me to bed or lose me for ever.
fisho mcspaz
League - Top 5

Has liked: 84 times
Been liked: 111 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby JK » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:33 pm

fisho mcspaz wrote:
NO-MERCY wrote:

Yeah that was a terrible day. I was nine at the time and I remember thinking we were done for halfway through the third quarter. Went with my dad and on our way home he said he'd been waiting forty years to see the Eagles beat Port in a grand final and that he could never go and watch the Eagles play again. I didn't believe him because he'd been going every weekend for as long as I could remember, but he kept his word for seven years. (Then turned up to the 2001 grand final, the one where we'd finished minor premiers and were expected to s*** it in. Poor Dad.) :?

I was there that day as a neutral (as I was regularly in the 90's :( ), and my biggest memories is how "cock a hoop" my Eagles mates were before the game .. My Port mates looked a bit steely faced, but they towed the party line of "In Jack we trust".

I really didn't think the Eagles could lose they were that good back in those days, and I still think they paid the ultimate price for not making the most of the advantages they were holding on the field.

But Port just made sure they were never "buried" and man that last quarter was something to behold .. It would have to rate up there with any of their GF wins I reckon.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4466 times
Been liked: 2992 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Courtney Fish » Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:09 am

Back in under 14's against the Flagstaff Hill Bushpigs we were 3 points down when I got a guy holding the ball about 50 out. The siren goes, I could kick 45 at best. With no one on the mark I went to use every inch of my run up when some kid came and went to smother me.Don't know what he was thinking. 15 metre penalty. Now kicking from about 40 kicked it straight through the middle.
Courtney Fish
Under 16s

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 26 times
Grassroots Team: OSB Lonsdale

Postby (S)aintbackline » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:59 am

Have kicked the winning goal a few times but only once after the siren.
Playing for the Kingaroy Bulldogs on ANZAC day 2004, had a pretty eventful day was sent off in the first minute for having a thrown a few punches after an older bloke from Warrick FC decided the then 17 year old me would not hit back. Kicked 4 for the day until I took a pretty good high mark (In these day would have been hands in the back) just before the siren that felt like I was about 80 metres out but I was about 40-45 out straight in front, I remember one vivid thing before I took the shot and that was our captain Barney asking me how big I was as I have the team on my shoulders (just to make the nerves get worse), I remember the kick being a classic one of mine starting very left and coming back to just edge it self inside the goal post. That night there was a huge celebration, the only sour note was the bloke I had thrown a few punches with was the captain of Warrick and as with tradition in the clash the opposition captain decided on who got the ANZAC Day Medal.

Putting mine aside the best goal after the siren goes to Ivan Novosel against Athelstone where he took the mark on an impossible angle and bangeed it through to give us a 2 point win
(S)aintbackline
Reserves

Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Tea Tree Gully

Postby (S)aintbackline » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:02 pm

(S)aintbackline wrote:Have kicked the winning goal a few times but only once after the siren.
Playing for the Kingaroy Bulldogs on ANZAC day 2004, had a pretty eventful day was sent off in the first minute for having a thrown a few punches after an older bloke from Warrick FC decided the then 17 year old me would not hit back. Kicked 4 for the day until I took a pretty good high mark (In these day would have been hands in the back) just before the siren that felt like I was about 80 metres out but I was about 40-45 out straight in front, I remember one vivid thing before I took the shot and that was our captain Barney asking me how big I was as I have the team on my shoulders (just to make the nerves get worse), I remember the kick being a classic one of mine starting very left and coming back to just edge it self inside the goal post. That night there was a huge celebration, the only sour note was the bloke I had thrown a few punches with was the captain of Warrick and as with tradition in the clash the opposition captain decided on who got the ANZAC Day Medal.

Putting mine aside the best goal after the siren goes to Ivan Novosel against Athelstone where he took the mark on an impossible angle and bangeed it through to give us a 2 point win

Sorry the losing captain choose the Medal winner.
(S)aintbackline
Reserves

Postby scoob » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:31 pm

In under 13s I took a one handed hanger about 55 out on the boundary... went back and torped it thru the middle... man we got p!ssed that night!
scoob
Veteran

Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 87 times

Postby (S)aintbackline » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:06 pm

scoob wrote:In under 13s I took a one handed hanger about 55 out on the boundary... went back and torped it thru the middle... man we got p!ssed that night!

lol
(S)aintbackline
Reserves

Postby whufc » Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:22 pm

fisho mcspaz wrote:
NO-MERCY wrote:

That would have been the 2000 GF, Centrals were very good in 2001 and were every chance to win that GF.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5625 times
Been liked: 2544 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby fisho mcspaz » Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:49 pm

whufc wrote:
fisho mcspaz wrote:
NO-MERCY wrote:

That would have been the 2000 GF, Centrals were very good in 2001 and were every chance to win that GF.

Was it? I can't remember. It was the year we finished minor premiers, and I thought that was '01 - I thought Centrals beat us out in 2000. Must go back and have a look.
Hey Goose, ya big stud! Take me to bed or lose me for ever.
fisho mcspaz
League - Top 5

Has liked: 84 times
Been liked: 111 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby stampy » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:31 pm

fisho mcspaz wrote:
fisho mcspaz wrote:Last year Aldinga had an amazing win over Christies Beach. I only saw the last quarter because of having to go to the doctor, but that was the quarter that mattered. I arrived at the game at 3/4 time, saw that we were eight goals down and kicked the car door. The kids doing the scoreboard were laughing and pointing at me, yelling out how s*** Aldinga were. Very frustrating. Anyway, going into the last quarter, we kicked four or five in quick succession but then it was back and forth for a while - we were kicking goals but so were they. There was maybe a minute to go and we were 17 points down when Christies gave away a free kick in our goalsquare. Their player argued with the umpire while our forward was kicking the goal - with the result that the umpire brought the ball back for another free kick in the goalsquare, and suddenly the margin was 5 points. The ball came our way from the centre and I was thinking no way, this s*** always happens to us (we're used to being on the losing end), we can't get another goal out of this... and our full forward kicked it from +50 on the siren, straight through for a goal. All of us who were watching went berserk and invaded the oval. It was our equivalent of the Grand Final. In the end we kicked something like 10.6 to 3.3 in the last quarter - effectively doubling our score from 3/4 time.

Couldn't believe it, therefore, when upon our second meeting with Christies, they were leading us convincingly all day, we came back in the last and won after the siren again, this time by three points!!! That stuff ain't scripted. Two brilliant days - made the rest of the year worth it.

PS. After that first game, I went back to the scoreboard and heckled those kids. Very childish, particularly as I was there with my own kids, but immeasurably satisfying. :twisted:

Also, I wondered what happened to the bloke who gave us two free kicks in the goalsquare. If I'd been his coach I'd have torn him a new arsehole.

flash is doin time...................................a lot of time
Go The Tiges!!!
stampy
Coach

Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 338 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby stampy » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:33 pm

(S)aintbackline wrote:Have kicked the winning goal a few times but only once after the siren.

good to see modesty is one of your strong pioints
Go The Tiges!!!
stampy
Coach

Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 338 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby whufc » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:08 pm

Fisho,

Centrals beat Eagles in the GF in 00 and 01.

In 2000 Eagles finished minor premiers and despite Central beating them in the second semi were still favs heading into the GF, Central won the GF in a low scoring game in the rain.

In 2001 Central were very good and easily beat the Eagles in the second semi before beating the Eagles once again in the GF comfortably in perfect sunny condition.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5625 times
Been liked: 2544 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Rabish Binney » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:33 pm

whufc wrote:Fisho,

Centrals beat Eagles in the GF in 00 and 01.

In 2000 Eagles finished minor premiers and despite Central beating them in the second semi were still favs heading into the GF, Central won the GF in a low scoring game in the rain.

In 2001 Central were very good and easily beat the Eagles in the second semi before beating the Eagles once again in the GF comfortably in perfect sunny condition.

Believe that Crystal Brook got up in the GF last Saturday (15/9) with a kick after the siren (CB 12-12 Southern Flinders 12-7).
Rabish Binney
Rookie

Been liked: 1 time

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues