Acceptable Niggle?

Adelaide Footy League, Southern, Country Footy, VFL, WAFL, NTFL, etc.

What constitutes acceptable niggle?

A bit of push and shove
44%
The occasional rib-tickler in a pack situation
15%
Targeting of an opposition player (within reason ie. in play, not off the ball)
29%
Open season if the umpire's not around to see
6%
No niggle is acceptable - do it on the scoreboard boys
6%

Total votes : 85

Acceptable Niggle?

Postby Gingernuts » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:13 pm

Just a bit of a topic of conversation on the GSFL thread and interested to get other peoples thoughts.

What constitutes acceptable niggle in a game of footy?

I don't mind a bit of push and shove, but am dead against any underhanded tactics in pack situations/king hits/targeting of key players. As a spectator I am ropeable when I'm denied from watching a ripper player do his thing because the opposition decides he's time on the ground should end.

What do other people think?
Gingernuts
League - Top 5

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Langhorne Creek

Re: Acceptable Niggle?

Postby A Mum » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:53 pm

Agree with you 100% Gingernuts.
You get what you give....
A Mum
Coach

Postby Ambo72 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:30 pm

I agree to an extent..
blatent abuse/assault of a player is BS and not acceptable.
but if there is an opposition player that can be put off his game with some rough stuff, I'd say go for it but do not undo your sides hard work by giving away stupid free kicks... I believe that there is a line that should never be crossed, but maybe bent a little.
Good Luck Ovies!
Ambo72

Postby Iron Fist » Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:49 am

I think that if you can get into a blokes head and get him off his game with a few little shots to ribs or something then thats fine. Pushing and shoving is standard!
its when elbows and fist enter that its been taken to far and is wrong!

I think if a player can take that and still shine, means they are really a great player!
get on board the thunder train!!!
Iron Fist
Veteran

Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 13 times
Grassroots Team: Portland

Postby SATCHEL » Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:07 pm

I agree with you fist. A bit a push and shove is no probs. The fists in the play may be taken too far if your on the receiving end. The heckle in the ear is just somehting you do as part of a routine just like pulling on your guernsey. Some blokes and sides just dont know where to draw the line. I dished it out and definately copped it. So in closing I would say that the standard niggle is a no brainer but the blokes that take it too far are the ones that make it difficult for everyone else and just stop the play.
SATCHEL
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 53 times
Grassroots Team: Wingfield Royals

Postby stan » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:09 pm

I dont have a problem with a bit of niggle and a bit of pushing and shoving. But any sort of underhanded tacktics to target key players is crap. Tag then, dry and keep them out of the game, but if you can stop them without resorting to bullshit like king hits and things like that then your a piece of shite and not good enough!
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1255 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Jimmy_041 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:19 am

I reckon Hopoate had the right idea..............

Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 726 times
Been liked: 1079 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby aceman » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:27 pm

Jimmy_041 wrote:I reckon Hopoate had the right idea..............

Jimmy, if you are up for a bit of the old "onkaparinga up the lemonade & sars', go get the prostate checked, that'll give you a thrill and make the teeth chatter a bit!
teeth-chatter.gif
teeth-chatter.gif (7.26 KiB) Viewed 1430 times
Always behind the 8 ball
aceman
Coach

Postby Punk Rooster » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:27 am

imposing yourself physically is acceptable- & by this, I don't man throwing punches, just the odd hip n shoulder etc...
Ralph Wiggum wrote:That's where I saw the leprechaun. He told me to burn things

Ken Farmer>John Coleman

Hindmarsh Pest Control
Punk Rooster
Coach

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 16 times
Grassroots Team: Fitzroy

Postby BurraBoys » Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:51 pm

Anything within the rules of the game is acceptable as far as im concerned. Target a player and stop him by all means necessary. Step on his toes. Push him around. Disguised rib ticklers as you push off at a clearance. Block his run. Accept that if your breaking the rules (ie jumper hlds) and get caught you have to cop it. Get in his ear all day. Get in his head, mentally and emotionally and crucify him for every cock up he makes. Football is about winning. Cross the line and do what you have to do. Shake hands afterwards and respect that is not personal and all part of the game. Given the decent oppurtunity the oppositon would do it you as well.

Ive had to do a fair few tagging jobs in my time and i find myself giving more grief and being a bigger d**k to the guys im mates with/know well away from the footy field. More so than i do a random guy. That being said ive developed a good realtionship with a few guys that ive had to tag and given insurmountable amounts of s*** to all day.
Wise man say forgivness is divine but never pay full price for late pizza
BurraBoys
Reserves

Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 23 times
Grassroots Team: Golden Grove

Postby Ruben Carter » Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:40 pm

BurraBoys wrote:Anything within the rules of the game is acceptable as far as im concerned. Target a player and stop him by all means necessary. Step on his toes. Push him around. Disguised rib ticklers as you push off at a clearance. Block his run. Accept that if your breaking the rules (ie jumper hlds) and get caught you have to cop it. Get in his ear all day. Get in his head, mentally and emotionally and crucify him for every cock up he makes. Football is about winning. Cross the line and do what you have to do. Shake hands afterwards and respect that is not personal and all part of the game. Given the decent oppurtunity the oppositon would do it you as well.

Ive had to do a fair few tagging jobs in my time and i find myself giving more grief and being a bigger d**k to the guys im mates with/know well away from the footy field. More so than i do a random guy. That being said ive developed a good realtionship with a few guys that ive had to tag and given insurmountable amounts of s*** to all day.

Well said BB. Can't argue with that but aren't we forgetting the one (or 3) who have the maximum control over what is "acceptable" ?? ie. The men in white.
If an umpire sees an action on the field and allows it, then it's acceptable. Simple. And I know their interpretations will change sometimes from one minute to the next, but this thread is quite irrelevant because ultimately it's the umpires and the laws of the game that determine what is acceptable niggle and what deserves to be penalised.
If you don’t like my words, don’t listen. If you don’t like my appearance, don’t look. If you don’t like my actions, turn your head; It’s as simple as that.
Ruben Carter
Reserves

Has liked: 121 times
Been liked: 75 times
Grassroots Team: Westminster OS

Postby BurraBoys » Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:42 pm

umpires.....those who failed at the game themselves therefore feel like they should ruin it for everyone else just because they cant have any fun. :lol: :lol:

Seriously though, the umpires control whats fair and not. My philosophy in the whole niggle/tag/pain in the arse is do whatever you want. If your any good at it they wont see you and you wont get caught. If you do, give them the cheeky smile like you know youve been busted, cop it and move on.

Moving on to umpires, opinions and interpertations is a different topic but to briefly summarise my view: Freekicks should be payed and the game should be umpired with the spirit of play and context of the contest. Giving a black and white definition of a rule, whether that be HTB, High contact or "acceptable niggle" is the wrong way to go about it. What was the purpose if the rule? Why does it exist? Does the particular action breach that underlying concept or is it incidental to the big picture.....find me an umpire who understands the game to that level.....please
Wise man say forgivness is divine but never pay full price for late pizza
BurraBoys
Reserves

Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 23 times
Grassroots Team: Golden Grove

Postby The Note Book » Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:46 pm

Ruben Carter wrote:
BurraBoys wrote:Anything within the rules of the game is acceptable as far as im concerned. Target a player and stop him by all means necessary. Step on his toes. Push him around. Disguised rib ticklers as you push off at a clearance. Block his run. Accept that if your breaking the rules (ie jumper hlds) and get caught you have to cop it. Get in his ear all day. Get in his head, mentally and emotionally and crucify him for every cock up he makes. Football is about winning. Cross the line and do what you have to do. Shake hands afterwards and respect that is not personal and all part of the game. Given the decent oppurtunity the oppositon would do it you as well.

Well said BB. Can't argue with that but aren't we forgetting the one (or 3) who have the maximum control over what is "acceptable" ?? ie. The men in white.
If an umpire sees an action on the field and allows it, then it's acceptable. Simple. And I know their interpretations will change sometimes from one minute to the next, but this thread is quite irrelevant because ultimately it's the umpires and the laws of the game that determine what is acceptable niggle and what deserves to be penalised.

Good points...I believe depending on the umpire & previous views of this umpire on a particular team can have an impact even if within the rules, eg bumping...however i guess it is then up to the player to adjust to the umpiring on the day, what was accepting one week might not be the following...
The Note Book

Postby Gingernuts » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:10 am

I agree with the various points about it being up to the umpire of the day, the only problem being that there just isn't that many decent umpires around at amateur level. It's not their fault, but many have been roped into the job on the day, or handed the whistle without proper training and expected to deliver AFL level decision making. Half of them aren't even fit enough to run the length of the field FFS. :lol:

Definitely something the SANFL and regional leagues need to seriously look at.
Gingernuts
League - Top 5

Grassroots Team: Langhorne Creek

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues