Footy training techniques - Fat burning vs Cardio building

Adelaide Footy League, Southern, Country Footy, VFL, WAFL, NTFL, etc.

Footy training techniques - Fat burning vs Cardio building

Postby silicone skyline » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:46 pm

I've been wearing a heart rate monitor on a few runs and throughout some trainings of late.
Did a 4.2km run where my average heart rate read 180-odd. Not bad, some good time there to increase the cardio fitness.

But...

Time in the fat burning zone was just over a minute.
I'm told I'm better off exercising at a lower heart rate (I think at about 150) for a longer period to burn fat.

Therefore, I ask the question:

What sort of training techniques are clubs or individuals using to target both in the pre-season?
There's a science to it.
Ruthless and Relentless
silicone skyline
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Re: Footy training techniques - Fat burning vs Cardio building

Postby devilsadvocate » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:55 pm

silicone skyline wrote:I've been wearing a heart rate monitor on a few runs and throughout some trainings of late.
Did a 4.2km run where my average heart rate read 180-odd. Not bad, some good time there to increase the cardio fitness.

But...

I'm told I'm better off exercising at a lower heart rate (I think at about 150) for a longer period to burn fat.

What sort of training techniques are clubs or individuals using to target both in the pre-season?
There's a science to it.

I think you've been led astray.

Training longer at a lower intensity to burn a greater amount of fat is a myth.

The best method of burning fat is using High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT - google it). The benefit of this method is that you can cut training sesion times down significantly by working at a balls to the wall pace for short intervals and using a recovery period.

Being a yo-yo'ing lard ass myself, I can vouch for HIIT as the only method that's ever worked in assisting me to shed body fat.
devilsadvocate
Coach

Has liked: 3 times

Postby Poultry in Motion » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:25 pm

devilsadvocate wrote:
silicone skyline wrote:I've been wearing a heart rate monitor on a few runs and throughout some trainings of late.

But...

There's a science to it.

The best method of burning fat is using High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT - google it). The benefit of this method is that you can cut training sesion times down significantly by working at a balls to the wall pace for short intervals and using a recovery period.

Being a yo-yo'ing lard ass myself, I can vouch for HIIT as the only method that's ever worked in assisting me to shed body fat.

Yeh, its interesting isnt it. My understanding is the fat burning zone will use a "higher percentage of kilojoules sourced from fat " because of the lower intensity the body can break down the fat with oxygen so it "saves up" the stored glycogen in the muscles and uses O2. However High Intensity Interval Training (HITT) uses more overall kilojoules in total (sourced from both fat and the glycogen stores in the muscle.) Ultimately it is about burning more kilojoules in total. When you are recovering from HIIT you are also sourcing a great deal of energy from the fat stores (and food in the stomach) to replenish the glycogen in the muscles. It seems to make sense that after a period of HITT you then exercise in the fat burning zone (say 60 - 65% of your max heart rate- which is calculated by subtracting your age from 220bpm) for some time so your body is burning kilojoules to replenish glycogen while also burning kj s to exercise. Directly after a weight training session would also do the same. They reckon by far the best time to exercise is in the morning on an empty stomach which also seems to make sense as the food source of energy isnt there to supply the glycogen so the body goes directly to the fat stores for its energy. Apparently rowing is the most efficient method of weight loss in comparison to cycling and running too. Now that Ive sounded like Dr Phil, Im still a fat bastard as I have trouble practising what I preach sometimes so I will understand if you ignore this long-winded speil!! ;) Hope it helps though SS.
Poultry in Motion
Rookie

Been liked: 1 time

Postby devilsadvocate » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:06 pm

Big Cox wrote:When you are recovering from HIIT you are also sourcing a great deal of energy from the fat stores (and food in the stomach) to replenish the glycogen in the muscles. It seems to make sense that after a period of HITT you then exercise in the fat burning zone (say 60 - 65% of your max heart rate- which is calculated by subtracting your age from 220bpm) for some time so your body is burning kilojoules to replenish glycogen while also burning kj s to exercise. Directly after a weight training session would also do the same. They reckon by far the best time to exercise is in the morning on an empty stomach which also seems to make sense as the food source of energy isnt there to supply the glycogen so the body goes directly to the fat stores for its energy. Apparently rowing is the most efficient method of weight loss in comparison to cycling and running too. Now that Ive sounded like Dr Phil, Im still a fat bastard as I have trouble practising what I preach sometimes so I will understand if you ignore this long-winded speil!! ;) Hope it helps though SS.

Spot on - it's the recovery process after HIIT that makes the difference and strips the weight.

And I'm with you on that last point - easier said than done - Sprints vs Foxtel..............
devilsadvocate
Coach

Has liked: 3 times

Postby silicone skyline » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:11 pm

Great advice from both of you. Thanks very much.
Ruthless and Relentless
silicone skyline
Coach

Postby Frognastie » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:34 am

Big Cox wrote:
devilsadvocate wrote:

But...

There's a science to it.

Yeh, its interesting isnt it. My understanding is the fat burning zone will use a "higher percentage of kilojoules sourced from fat " because of the lower intensity the body can break down the fat with oxygen so it "saves up" the stored glycogen in the muscles and uses O2. However High Intensity Interval Training (HITT) uses more overall kilojoules in total (sourced from both fat and the glycogen stores in the muscle.) Ultimately it is about burning more kilojoules in total. When you are recovering from HIIT you are also sourcing a great deal of energy from the fat stores (and food in the stomach) to replenish the glycogen in the muscles. It seems to make sense that after a period of HITT you then exercise in the fat burning zone (say 60 - 65% of your max heart rate- which is calculated by subtracting your age from 220bpm) for some time so your body is burning kilojoules to replenish glycogen while also burning kj s to exercise. Directly after a weight training session would also do the same. They reckon by far the best time to exercise is in the morning on an empty stomach which also seems to make sense as the food source of energy isnt there to supply the glycogen so the body goes directly to the fat stores for its energy. Apparently rowing is the most efficient method of weight loss in comparison to cycling and running too. Now that Ive sounded like Dr Phil, Im still a fat bastard as I have trouble practising what I preach sometimes so I will understand if you ignore this long-winded speil!! ;) Hope it helps though SS.

The best HR zone to burn fat is between 65-75% of your MHR as you are using a different energy system. This zone should equate to approx 70% of your weekly work out time totals. As descirbed above HITT or otherwise know as Threshold Training, which pushes your body to the edge, uses a different energy system and needs time to recover, but will provide the most improvements, especially from a running prespective.

A weekly example -

Mon - Recovery run 5K - 65% of MHR
Tue - Flat run 5K - 65-75%
Wed - Off
Thur - Threshold Training 20min @ 80-85% - 3 min recovery, - 2 min @ 90% (based on 5-6K)
Frid - Off
Sat - Rest/Recovery/Cross Training
Sun - 10K long slow run 65-75%

Assuming you are cable of running 10Ks -

this site may be helpful - http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/
Frognastie
Mini-League

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues