Weight GAIN techniques

Adelaide Footy League, Southern, Country Footy, VFL, WAFL, NTFL, etc.

Weight GAIN techniques

Postby HH3 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:19 pm

Ive been trying to get to 80kgs for a couple of years now. The closest Ive got is 77kgs...and fluctuated in between 77-75.

Ive been doing weights over the offseason and am just starting to see results...but its mainly in my arms and Im really looking to gain weight to be able to give and take bumps more effectively during games. Im used a lot in the midfield as a tagger...but my preferred position is HBF. I need to get more solid to really be as effective as possible.

Is there any techniques I can use to build muscle mass...using only 5-10kg dumbells and equipment free exercises?

And also, do protein and weight gain powders work?
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2433 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Re: Weight GAIN techniques

Postby Jimmy_041 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:24 am

Eat dinner at Jimmy's every night - Pork Vindaloo last night
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 728 times
Been liked: 1086 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby gadj1976 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:54 am

HH, a mate of mine was in the same boat. His situation was that he was 6ft 2 and weighed enough to be gain employment in the horse racing industry as a jockey!

He went to two doctors who said the way to safely get to his desired weight was to drink a Guinness or two each night before bed. Or Stout.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 796 times
Been liked: 850 times

Postby turning circle » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:52 am

ive found that protein powders with a mix of weights and boxing build you up pretty fast. my prob was the unhealthy drinking and eating kept piling the weight on past where i was aiming.
turning circle

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby HH3 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:19 pm

Jimmy_041 wrote:Eat dinner at Jimmy's every night - Pork Vindaloo last night

Well an invite would be nice...
I TOLD YOU SO

HH3
Coach

Postby The Yetti » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:51 pm

Hey Mate.
I found the best way to gain weight was to retire from playing, drink heaps at the footy on Saturday, get promoted and get a desk job and come home from work and veg out in front of the tele.
After that get a bloke to come in and mow the lawn, do the gardening and clean the gutters on the house and shed.
If all else fails, cease all physical activity, eat as much junk food as you can, 10 cups of coffee with 2 sugars daily, a couple of cans of soft drink and eat all the skin off the BBQ chicken.

Worked for me...so good luck with your new lifestyle
SO MANY IDIOTS
SO FEW BULLETS
The Yetti
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 2 times
Grassroots Team: McLaren

Postby HH3 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:55 pm

The Yetti wrote:Hey Mate.
I found the best way to gain weight was to retire from playing, drink heaps at the footy on Saturday, get promoted and get a desk job and come home from work and veg out in front of the tele.
After that get a bloke to come in and mow the lawn, do the gardening and clean the gutters on the house and shed.
If all else fails, cease all physical activity, eat as much junk food as you can, 10 cups of coffee with 2 sugars daily, a couple of cans of soft drink and eat all the skin off the BBQ chicken.

Mate i eat so much crap its unbelievable im not obese...put it this way...my regular meal at Hungry Jacks is a Bacon Deluxe with 2 extra pattys and 2 extra slices of cheese in a large meal...ive been eating like this since i started high school i reckon...

And when i started doing weights instead of gaining muscle mass i just started to lose weight rapidly...just getting it back now...
I TOLD YOU SO

HH3
Coach

Postby Jimmy_041 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:56 pm

Sorry - did I just wander onto "This is Your Life" before I was told to?
Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby Jimmy_041 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:57 pm

hackham_hawk_3 wrote:

Mate i eat so much crap its unbelievable im not obese...put it this way...my regular meal at Hungry Jacks is a Bacon Deluxe with 2 extra pattys and 2 extra slices of cheese in a large meal...ive been eating like this since i started high school i reckon...

And when i started doing weights instead of gaining muscle mass i just started to lose weight rapidly...just getting it back now...

Worm tablets should do the trick

Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby The Yetti » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:58 pm

Jimmy_041 wrote:

Still off the smokes???
SO MANY IDIOTS
SO FEW BULLETS
The Yetti
League Bench Warmer

Postby The Yetti » Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:02 pm

That picture has put me off lunch Jimmy. Just started on the KFC Bucket
SO MANY IDIOTS
SO FEW BULLETS
The Yetti
League Bench Warmer

Postby Jimmy_041 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:04 pm

The Yetti wrote:
Jimmy_041 wrote:

Still off the smokes???

Yes - but have to get back on them to lose weight - pisses me off when Jimmy Jnr eats whatever he wants and I only have to look at a pizza and put on a kg
Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby Jimmy_041 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:07 pm

The Yetti wrote:That picture has put me off lunch Jimmy. Just started on the KFC Bucket

You'll find plenty of worms in that lunch
Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby HH3 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:55 pm

Im at mums now for my little brothers birthday and i really hope her scales a rooted...apparently ive gone from 77kgs to 67kgs... :shock:

and i dont have scales at home to see how wrong they are...i would of thought id put on weight in the last 2 weeks...
I TOLD YOU SO

HH3
Coach

Postby human blanket #3 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:32 pm

hackham_hawk_3 wrote:Ive been trying to get to 80kgs for a couple of years now. The closest Ive got is 77kgs...and fluctuated in between 77-75.

Ive been doing weights over the offseason and am just starting to see results...but its mainly in my arms and Im really looking to gain weight to be able to give and take bumps more effectively during games. Im used a lot in the midfield as a tagger...but my preferred position is HBF. I need to get more solid to really be as effective as possible.

Is there any techniques I can use to build muscle mass...using only 5-10kg dumbells and equipment free exercises?

i am in a similar situation to you, could always eat as much as I want without putting on weight. firstly i suggest protein powders. there are a lot out there so do some research on the internet. prob only take it after weights and dont take too much as your body cant usually handle the quick release of protein and just releases it which is just wasting money (espeacially if you have never taken protein powder before). protein powders dont provide you with all the protein requirements so you need to eat foods such as tuna, eggs and beans which are high in protein and in general a balance diet.

i would say you would need to use a lot more than 5-10kg excersizes espeacially when it comes to the larger muscles like chest and back. this is prob why you arms have got bigger as they are a lot smaller muscles yet you are using the same weights. the exercizes that will give you the most muscle gain are the excersizes which you lift the most weight e.g. bench press. i found that you really need to be at a gym to have the best range of excersizes. my mate has a very decent home gym and I find the excersizes are still limited compared to the gym (and my gym is very basic).

Another thing that is important is sleep which is when your muscles recover. what ive talked about is just from personal experience and from the net. there are a lot of different views on weight gain so it might just end up being what works for you. havnt done PE since year 10 so there might be someone on here with a lot better knowledge.
human blanket #3
Under 18s

Grassroots Team: Hectorville

Postby HH3 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:59 pm

human blanket #3 wrote:
hackham_hawk_3 wrote:Ive been trying to get to 80kgs for a couple of years now. The closest Ive got is 77kgs...and fluctuated in between 77-75.

i am in a similar situation to you, could always eat as much as I want without putting on weight. firstly i suggest protein powders. there are a lot out there so do some research on the internet. prob only take it after weights and dont take too much as your body cant usually handle the quick release of protein and just releases it which is just wasting money (espeacially if you have never taken protein powder before). protein powders dont provide you with all the protein requirements so you need to eat foods such as tuna, eggs and beans which are high in protein and in general a balance diet.

i would say you would need to use a lot more than 5-10kg excersizes espeacially when it comes to the larger muscles like chest and back. this is prob why you arms have got bigger as they are a lot smaller muscles yet you are using the same weights. the exercizes that will give you the most muscle gain are the excersizes which you lift the most weight e.g. bench press. i found that you really need to be at a gym to have the best range of excersizes. my mate has a very decent home gym and I find the excersizes are still limited compared to the gym (and my gym is very basic).

Another thing that is important is sleep which is when your muscles recover. what ive talked about is just from personal experience and from the net. there are a lot of different views on weight gain so it might just end up being what works for you. havnt done PE since year 10 so there might be someone on here with a lot better knowledge.

Thanks mate. Im thinking about joining a gym again. I have pretty dodgy shoulders which make bench pressing painfull, so i was really trying to avoid that. Do you know if push ups or something where i can just use my own weight will develop my chest more. Like i said my arms are coming along pretty well...and can see a difference in my chest, but no where near what im aiming for. My back is going pretty well as well with some of the weights exercises i do now really targeting my back muscles...
I TOLD YOU SO

HH3
Coach

Postby Jimmy_041 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:02 pm

Lay off the bench press and see if you can do lat pulldowns instead

Bar to the front of you - not to the back of your neck
Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby human blanket #3 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:05 am

i know doing bench press with dumbells instead are better for the shoulders as you have more flexibility in the range of movements. just make sure you dont lower the dumbells below chest level as thats when it starts straining the shoulder muscles. if you find that still puts strain on your shoulders then try diffferent variations of push ups. look on the net and you will find tons of variations.
human blanket #3
Under 18s

Grassroots Team: Hectorville

Postby qwerty » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:52 am

IMHO you would be better off focusing on deadlifting, lunges, glute bridges, dumbbell rows, dumbbell bench (as others have mentioned) and combining this with body weight stuff like pushups with weight on your back/shoulders and the best of all chinups.

You most likely wont put on huge amounts of size but your strength and core strength will improve significantly and this is more important than a few extra kilos.

As others have said if your going to take protein, only take it after your train otherwise you are wasting your time/money. Believe it or not a glass of milk is just as good if not better for you. As others have said though you need to find what works for you.
qwerty
Under 16s

Been liked: 4 times

Postby goochy » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:23 pm

I found that doing exercise that focus on large muscle groups give great results for weight gain. I did a mixture of deadlifts, squats, clean and jerk and bench press, so basically powerlifting training. I did 3 sets of about ten on each of the exercises, with fairly long interval periods. I did this only around 2 times a week, 3 times occasionally for around 6 weeks and managed to put on four kilos. Its important not to overtrain and make sure you get plenty of rest
goochy
Mini-League

Next

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues