NORTH PINES extinction ?

Adelaide Footy League, Southern, Country Footy, VFL, WAFL, NTFL, etc.

NORTH PINES extinction ?

Postby mal » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:05 am

President Aaron Gerlach has done a story in the Messenger Press
An article preseneted by Kym Morgan

My thoughts, using the article

1998.... 140 registered footballers
2010...... pre -season turn ups 9 for the first training, then 7, then the latest turn up 3 players
Gerlach said a dozen players retired, moved away, or are playiing for other clubs from last season

The club may not have a team/teams this season
There are strong junior numbers at the club, but with a senior team in jepoardy, this could affect the club long term

There are 3 applicants for the coaching position, all have promised to bring new players to the club

Gerlach also added the club will consider changing its name to Parafield Gardens FC next year

Geez thats not good news getting close to a start of a footy season
Hopefully the club gets the players that are required to fill up a team
I have an interest in the clubs entity being a former cricketer at the cub in recent times
mal
Coach

Has liked: 1167 times
Been liked: 922 times

Re: NORTH PINES extinction ?

Postby Big Block » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:27 am

mal wrote:President Aaron Gerlach has done a story in the Messenger Press
An article preseneted by Kym Morgan

My thoughts, using the article

1998.... 140 registered footballers
2010...... pre -season turn ups 9 for the first training, then 7, then the latest turn up 3 players
Gerlach said a dozen players retired, moved away, or are playiing for other clubs from last season

The club may not have a team/teams this season
There are strong junior numbers at the club, but with a senior team in jepoardy, this could affect the club long term

There are 3 applicants for the coaching position, all have promised to bring new players to the club

Gerlach also added the club will consider changing its name to Parafield Gardens FC next year

Geez thats not good news getting close to a start of a footy season
Hopefully the club gets the players that are required to fill up a team
I have an interest in the clubs entity being a former cricketer at the cub in recent times

In all seriousness can the area support and more importantly sustain another club as logistically there are quiet a lot of clubs in very close proximity to each other and all are trying to recruit players from the same available talent pool?
Big Block
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:41 pm

In all seriousness all clubs in the SAAFL are faced with similar situations in regards to surroundings from other clubs and the amount of resources.
From an outsiders point of view things looked to have gone pear shaped there at the end of 2004 when the club was knocked out in the div 6 finals, they then went on a very lean trot in 2005 and seem to have never really recovered. We see with all northern suburbs clubs how players frequently go from 1 club to another (Especially in the lower divisions) and it just seems North Pines have fallen victim to this circle.
How to get out I am not sure, however this has not been a recent thing...
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 73 times
Been liked: 747 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby Executive Member » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:46 pm

LaughingKookaburra wrote:In all seriousness all clubs in the SAAFL are faced with similar situations in regards to surroundings from other clubs and the amount of resources.
From an outsiders point of view things looked to have gone pear shaped there at the end of 2004 when the club was knocked out in the div 6 finals, they then went on a very lean trot in 2005 and seem to have never really recovered. We see with all northern suburbs clubs how players frequently go from 1 club to another (Especially in the lower divisions) and it just seems North Pines have fallen victim to this circle.

LK

not sure if too many other areas have the same problem
within the space of 5kms you have
North Pines
Mawson Lakes
Brahma Lodge
Paralowie
Salisbury West
Salisbury North
Salisbury
and throw in Para Hills as well
Executive Member
Veteran

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 140 times

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:54 pm

Ok then i'll throw the clubs we have within 5-6 kms

Happy Valley
Flagstaff Hill
Brighton
Marion
Morphettville Park
Blackwood
Mitcham
CLG
Mitchell Park
Edwardstown
Flinders Uni
SHOC

Majority of them are larger scale clubs....

It's a problem across the board
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Postby mighty hounds » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:15 pm

Executive Member wrote:
LaughingKookaburra wrote:In all seriousness all clubs in the SAAFL are faced with similar situations in regards to surroundings from other clubs and the amount of resources.

LK

not sure if too many other areas have the same problem
within the space of 5kms you have
North Pines
Mawson Lakes
Brahma Lodge
Paralowie
Salisbury West
Salisbury North
Salisbury
and throw in Para Hills as well

didnt think about that to well EM i could name off a few teams around us aswell

Fitzroy
CBCOC
POAC
Walkerville
Ovingham
Kilburn
Broadview
SPOC

and im sure ive missed some aswell
mighty hounds
Coach

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 286 times

Postby TEX07 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:24 pm

In all areas you get clubs that have close rival clubs at GGFC, you have GGFC, Modbury, Tea Tree Gully, Houghton and Hope Valley all really close.

The difference with our area is the amount of familys living in the area, all the kids coming through. Tea Tree Gulley, Modbury and GGFC have a massive junior representation, if teams keep these kids then you get the players in senior grades. Understand NP may have decent numbers at junior levels but the kids obviously move to the higher ranked clubs in the area when they grow up.

They need some sort of insentive to stay at the club. I played some junior footy and senior footy at North Pines and left to try higher grades as soon as i was old enough. Nothing against teh club itself just wanted to try higher grades at more established clubs.
hola acabo de hacer que el yo se resuelve lo que este los medios en español
TEX07
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 140 times
Been liked: 49 times
Grassroots Team: Golden Grove

Postby Big Block » Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:51 pm

TEX07 wrote:In all areas you get clubs that have close rival clubs at GGFC, you have GGFC, Modbury, Tea Tree Gully, Houghton and Hope Valley all really close.

The difference with our area is the amount of familys living in the area, all the kids coming through. Tea Tree Gulley, Modbury and GGFC have a massive junior representation, if teams keep these kids then you get the players in senior grades. Understand NP may have decent numbers at junior levels but the kids obviously move to the higher ranked clubs in the area when they grow up.

They need some sort of insentive to stay at the club. I played some junior footy and senior footy at North Pines and left to try higher grades as soon as i was old enough. Nothing against teh club itself just wanted to try higher grades at more established clubs.

Which was exactly my point - can the area support this amount of teams.
Big Block
Rookie

Postby BenchedEagle » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:01 am

Itd be a shame to lose any club from the league, hope they pull something together. Good luck
BenchedEagle
League - Top 5

Has liked: 50 times
Been liked: 50 times

Postby BenchedEagle » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:05 am

Big Block wrote:
TEX07 wrote:In all areas you get clubs that have close rival clubs at GGFC, you have GGFC, Modbury, Tea Tree Gully, Houghton and Hope Valley all really close.

I think Parafield gardens is a bit of a dead end. few developments in Burton etc. Also a lot of Vietnamese and Asian families in that area, not many really inclined towards playing Aussie Rules.

I guess if they cant find a senior side they work extra hard on their juniors and build from them a new senior side in next few years
BenchedEagle
League - Top 5

Has liked: 50 times
Been liked: 50 times

Postby LovinFooty » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:01 pm

I think Parafield gardens is a bit of a dead end. few developments in Burton etc. Also a lot of Vietnamese and Asian families in that area, not many really inclined towards playing Aussie Rules.

I guess if they cant find a senior side they work extra hard on their juniors and build from them a new senior side in next few years[/quote]

not sure duncs about being a dead end?? having built a house a few years ago in a new estate in Burton, i do know there is a heap of new areas being developed. i think the people that are moving out here (to the newer estates) may already be tied to clubs.

in saying there is too many clubs competing with each other in the general area - that is right - but there isn't one at the back of paralowie/burton. (near bolivar rd way) - there is however a new soccer club being developed on waterloo corner rd near springbank shops even though there are quite a few soccer clubs within a couple of km's! maybe the pines - or any other club for that matter could look at relocating?? just a thought.
I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer.
LovinFooty
Rookie

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:09 pm

Big Block wrote:

The club had 148 registered players in 1998, i'm assuming the area around the surrounds has increased in population in the time since then?? All the surrounding teams were established in 1998 (St.Pauls OS being Mawson Lakes). All the surrounding clubs also seem to be feilding C and even D grade sides. So hows the player demand in the area low? Is there anything being done different now than there was 10-12 years ago? Every time I have played them they allways seemed to have a healthy and loyal following....
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Postby Bluedemon » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:16 am

is the area that north pines play from a developing area with young players around the club or an ageing population?
SAFooty.net, where you hear the community football news first
Bluedemon
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 83 times
Been liked: 97 times

Postby smac » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:36 pm

My experience with the area indicates that Parafield Gardens is an area where many of the kids have grown up and are either adults or late teenagers. Many of these have shifted to higher graded clubs either in pursuit of cash or to follow mates. In addition, zoned to Port Adelaide, the kids who play at SANFL underage level often go to western suburbs clubs if they are delisted at any stage.
smac
Coach

Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 233 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby TEX07 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:57 pm

smac wrote:My experience with the area indicates that Parafield Gardens is an area where many of the kids have grown up and are either adults or late teenagers. Many of these have shifted to higher graded clubs either in pursuit of cash or to follow mates. In addition, zoned to Port Adelaide, the kids who play at SANFL underage level often go to western suburbs clubs if they are delisted at any stage.

I agree smac, it allways seemed ridiculous to me that Parafield Gardens was zoned to Port Adelaide, I remember having to catch a bus to training as a junior to get there, not that i played any games just did one pre-season but was enough to be a hassle. You are 17 years old and tryingto get through the last years of high school and spend all that time to get to training and home again, would never get home before 8:30 at night and had to leave to get there at around 4-4:30 from memory.

It is a good point if you dont make the cut out at Port they recommend you go play at a closer club. It never bothered me, was not good enough but could see how some would be lost.
hola acabo de hacer que el yo se resuelve lo que este los medios en español
TEX07
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 140 times
Been liked: 49 times
Grassroots Team: Golden Grove

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues