Then and Now

Adelaide Footy League, Southern, Country Footy, VFL, WAFL, NTFL, etc.

Then and Now

Postby redandblack » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:33 pm

Then and Now - contributed by “redandblack”

2 Years ago

When your footy team finishes last for the fourth consecutive year, the only things that keep you going are your faith that things will one day turn around and your unshakeable loyalty to your club. Without that, it’s not easy to wait each week for the next game and then realise it’s a lost cause 15 minutes into the first quarter. You know then that the game will inevitably take its course, with nothing but a litany of embarrassing mistakes from your team and another week without hope to follow.

At times like this, each week’s selection becomes an inevitable changing of deck chairs on the Titanic. The AFL clubs invariably find it necessary to select their fringe players from your club as the travelling emergencies and you then watch a Friday night AFL game, only to see a host of your former juniors dominating the game.

As for your game, you know we’ll be down a player with injury by quarter time, you convince yourself that the ritual negative free kick count made all the difference and if only we had kicked straight, we could have got close. On those rare occasions when you dominate the first quarter, you get used to a quarter-time return of 1.5.

Pre-season is the time of hope. The players are fitter than they’ve ever been (so we convince ourselves) and rumours abound that we’re 95% certain to sign a particular player, it’s almost a done deal and we’re just waiting for a signature. Your long experience knows that 95% certain means we’ll definitely miss out and that’s confirmed when you hear the player is just being polite in talking to a rival club. Don’t worry, we’ll get him, it’s just a minor complication.

Yeh, sure.

None of the above matters in the long run, as long as you have faith in one thing.

Process.

My team started a process just over two seasons ago. It’s been part of a long haul, but when you can see a definite plan in process, it’s amazing how the little things start to make a difference. You can also see that process starting at Noarlunga right now. That will be a long haul too, but supporters of some other teams will understand. While you’re going through that process, you still try to become inured from the comments and barbs thrown at you from those lucky enough to follow “successful” teams.

Lucky?

Maybe, maybe not.

Now

I walked into the race after the players and support staff last Friday night. I momentarily thought back to the pain of the tough years as I looked up at a sea of applauding West supporters. For the last 16 or 17 games against North, I’d dragged myself back into the rooms for the post-mortem and most of the time thought it reasonable if we had been competitive.

Most of the time we hadn’t. Most of the time I knew the few West supporters there by name, but this was different. This time, there were over 6000 people and a large proportion of them were shouting for our team.

I took a last look at the ground. City Mazda Stadium was floodlit, the only electronic scoreboard in the league showed West Adelaide had decisively ended a 7 year losing streak against the Roosters and the Mound Bar was packed. I knew that before long those packing the bar would be able to take a few steps and watch the game from the new Mound Bar terrace.

Process.

I thought back to the game. No injuries, that happened to the opposition. We got a pretty good run from the umps. The only difficulty with selection was working out how to fit so many players in. No travelling emergencies either, instead we got a nice contribution and a couple of hundred extra spectators from Jason Porplyzia. No rumours in the pre-season, just the quiet signing of some more than handy players, generally unheralded by all and sundry. We still needed to sharpen up our kicking for goal, but after years of struggling to kick more than 9 goals a game, I wasn’t quibbling about 14.19. Nor was I quibbling about our opposition’s 4.7.

I liked our game style. A lot. Very, very physical, nicely structured and did I mention they were physical?. The moves that have had opposition supporters groaning with boredom in past seasons suddenly looked highly effective as our skill level showed continuing improvement.

This week we get Hamish Hartlett back for a run in the 2’s. Port have decided they don’t need Scott Harding, so we’ll gratefully take him. Port have also decided they definitely need Tom Logan and the Crows will take James Sellar. We’ll take that too.

It’s strange how our luck seems to be changing.

The Immediate Future

We’ve won one game. Just one game. (Enter the usual clichés here).

This week we play Glenelg. They’re a talented side, usually beat us and they won comfortably in Round 1. They’re also on their own crusade this year, no doubt with plenty of motivation and some definite goals. They’re a tough side, it’s a tough competition and we should go into the game as underdogs, but with a good chance.

We’ve only won one game and one win means nothing, but I’m looking forward to the contest, because I’m hoping it will be a contest, something I’m only just getting used to seeing more regularly. I’m hoping we can make the finals. I’m hoping we can win this week. I’m the same as most supporters, but at last I think I can see a solid foundation on which to build my hopes.

We might get thumped, of course. If that happens, I’ll look beyond the result and look at the longer-term process, because that’s what is giving me some confidence.

Who knows what will happen as the season unfolds, but suddenly it’s fun to look forward each week to the next game.

About bloody time, too.
redandblack

Re: Then and Now

Postby Dutchy » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:03 pm

nice read.

So you havent looked forward to the footy in previous years?

Even when we were getting smashed I looked forward to going to the footy.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2333 times
Been liked: 3562 times

Postby redandblack » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:12 pm

Good point, Dutchy. My explanation wasn't well put and I was more trying to show the different emotions of bad times to good.

I'm there nearly every week, no matter what the circumstances - always hopeful.
redandblack

Postby Wedgie » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:33 pm

Well done mate, great stuff. :)
I actually prefer being near the bottom (unless you can win the flag) as its easier to get a beer and you go to the footy with low expectations and are never disappointed! :lol:
Keep up the great articles!
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2061 times
Been liked: 3917 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Dog_ger » Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:49 am

Agreed, Being near the bottom is far better than being top.

But if you have played together for many years, Top comes easier than Bottom.

To play your best on the day is perhaps the most hardest thing to do x21.

Nothing beats experience. But then, that is not 100%.
Smile :)

It's only Money $$$ :)

What is happening to our SANFL guys...
Dog_ger
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 19 times

Postby Thiele » Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:13 pm

great read R&B
James Ezard Joint 2009 Magarey Medalist

Personal views only not views of the West Adelaide Footy Club or Bedford Indstries
Thiele
Coach

Has liked: 149 times
Been liked: 80 times

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues