Pre-game routine

Adelaide Footy League, Southern, Country Footy, VFL, WAFL, NTFL, etc.

Pre-game routine

by Dogwatcher » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:06 pm

Everybody has their routine before a game, each one is unique.
I have a team-mate who doesn't like to get to the game until 10 minutes before it starts.

Here's my routine:

Strip down to jocks. Walk around changerooms calling everyone a "c*nt" or a "knobhead" or some such. Go to trainers room, possibly let rip a fart as I get up on the table, get my dodgy ankles strapped. Return to my bench spot in the corner, pass comment on a few of the blokes again then start to get dressed. Shorts on first, then two pairs of socks, then boots (all left foot first), then finally put my guernsey on.
As we leave the changeroom, I'm always the first one after the captain and as we cross the line I sidestep one way, then the other. From there, superstitions are thrown out.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Re: Pre-game routine

by Dig » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:12 pm

pie with sauce, mars bar, can of coke and a smoke
Dig

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

by piccachu » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:19 pm

i get my ankle and thumb strapped walk around talking sh!t for a bit wake my short socks (1 left one inside out, dont ask why) and boots on leaving my shirt on, timing it so i can go out for a kick at 3 quarter time in the Bs come in after the break have a p!ss
walk around touching plenty of bums then just before the coach is about to start fireing us up wack my guernsey on leave the changerooms last also as i cross the line left then right zig zag followed by a short (about 5 steps stride then also superstitions go out the window
Were has Marbles gone and who is Satchel
piccachu
League - Top 5

Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 11 times
Grassroots Team: Portland

by Choccies » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:49 pm

My pregame routine (not by choice...)

4 dumps and about 8-10 squirts..... :shock:
I love grapes. With grapes, you always get another chance. You know, if you have a crappy apple or a peach, you’re stuck with that crappy piece of fruit. If you have a crappy grape, no problem-just move on to the next. ‘Grapes: The Fruit of Hope.
Choccies
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 4 times
Grassroots Team: Golden Grove

by valleys07 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:55 pm

Choccies wrote:My pregame routine (not by choice...)

Christ and your the coach right? what were you like as a player :D
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 768 times
Been liked: 1171 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

by TEX07 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:22 pm

Current routine:

nurofen plus x 2
water x plenty
rub down - back, calves and hammys
Strapping - fingers and ankles
Stretch - plenty
touch the ball - limited by amount of stretching

I am getting old. :(
hola acabo de hacer que el yo se resuelve lo que este los medios en español
TEX07
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 140 times
Been liked: 49 times

by RedMagpie » Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:41 pm

Go in the Medico's rooms, try and crack a few jokes, make sure everyone is jovial, no rush, Get my Ankles & Left Shoulder strapped, Do my own thumbs, wander back into the room as the coach is giving his speach, let the other fools warm up, Head out there do my thing quickly but at a high intensity, have a few kicks, head to the goal square and try and get some lads using the one two and creating run when delivering the ball to moving forwards, by this time the umpires have called the skippers, when the skipper returns and the lads huddle up, I stand back by about 2 meters, quickly survey the ground and think how great it is to be alive.

I get clostraphobic so no good on the inside of the huddle, I find I get to amped up if I listen to the whole rev up from the caoch and everyone else's shit in the warm up. I know my job, I got to do my job.
RedMagpie
Under 16s

Grassroots Team: Salisbury

by White Line Fever » Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:58 pm

Two Johnny Walker cans Friday night.

A bacon and egg sanger on arrival of ground at BBQ.

Must take at least one big grab above the head in warm-up.

Touch the White Line as i run out... then i turn into another person... WLF
White Line Fever
League - Top 5

Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 16 times

by Q. » Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:35 pm

Lucky red jocks.

Two heavily strapped ankles.

Thirty minutes of fondling a football.

Run onto the ground barking cliches.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

by Bum Crack » Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:52 pm

6 pack of bundy cans and two hot pies. Then i take my seat and watch the game and drink another 18.
So you've seen everything have you?
Yep
Have you ever seen a man eat his own head?
No
Well you haven't seen everything then have you.
Bum Crack
Coach

Has liked: 321 times
Been liked: 894 times
Grassroots Team: Berri

by gadj1976 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:01 pm

rock up before half time of the B's (when playing A's) so I could have a couple of half-time-heroes moments to savour.

Stand and watch the B's, making comments that "he could've done that better, he should've done this, he should've done that" sussing out the umpires that duly rock up during the third quarter.

Get called into the changerooms....ignore.

Get called into the changerooms again....ignore

Get called into the changerooms for the final time ........enter changerooms

Sit, concentrate. When everyone was changed, then I start getting changed cos I hated waiting around once ready. I didn't ever get my ankles strapped, so I'd get changed in two minutes and then do handballs to other nervous colleagues. Attempt to run out in the first half dozen players with a footy (mandatory).

Do the warm up, get the butterflies settled, pat blokes on the back/arse (depending on how 'close' you were to them (ahem)), pass on inspirational comments like "lets stick it up em*" and other more vague cliches, run to position, greet opponent by shaking hands and wait for the first bounce.

Then post the first bounce, manage to completely do everything I'd commented on the B's doing incorrectly.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 796 times
Been liked: 850 times

by Dogwatcher » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:59 pm

Bum Crack wrote:6 pack of bundy cans and two hot pies. Then i take my seat and watch the game and drink another 18.

I'll have to work on that as part of my new routine ;)
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

by Media Park » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:43 pm

I've always helped out with the kids footy, so I've always been there from 7 or 8 a.m. SO MUCH FOR A GOOD ROUTINE!

Around game time, after nailing down some dodgy canteen food, enter the rooms (half time), pester the buggery out of the team manager until he gives me my guernsey (playing regularly it was ALWAYS #1, now I'm just happy to get any guernsey), then do a "quick change," mainly because I've always played with a couple of blokes who love to show off their sizeable slugs, and I'm not equipped enough to challenge them...

Generally get a footy in my hands, have a kick and a catch, before heading straight to the bench (my regular possie :oops: )

Never got anything strapped, taped, or rubbed...

My theory was if I was sore/incapacitated enough to need that attention, then I probably didn't deserve a game.
Direct quote:
Wedgie wrote:I wear skin tight arseless leather pants, wtf do you wear?
Media Park
Coach

Grassroots Team: Boston

by Choccies » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:56 am

valleys07 wrote:

Double it.... :lol:
I love grapes. With grapes, you always get another chance. You know, if you have a crappy apple or a peach, you’re stuck with that crappy piece of fruit. If you have a crappy grape, no problem-just move on to the next. ‘Grapes: The Fruit of Hope.
Choccies
Assistant Coach

by Footy Chick » Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:00 am

Dogwatcher wrote:I have a team-mate who doesn't like to get to the game until 10 minutes before it starts.

Here's my routine:

Go to trainers room, possibly let rip a fart as I get up on the table, get my dodgy ankles strapped.

You two are my worst nightmare.

Thank f*** you're retired :lol:
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1741 times
Been liked: 2148 times

by valleys07 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:01 am

Choccies wrote:
valleys07 wrote:

:D and in grand finals......call the plumber :lol:
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 768 times
Been liked: 1171 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

by White Line Fever » Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:02 am

Amazing how they all save up for Sat morning.
The dirty double Sat morning is a common occurence.
White Line Fever
League - Top 5

by Choccies » Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:21 am

valleys07 wrote:
Choccies wrote:
valleys07 wrote:

:D and in grand finals......call the plumber :lol:

I pretty much require my own crapper on game days. If I could run out with one strapped to my body I would !! Just had lots of nerves that only a good dump or the first siren at the start of the game could cure !!
Choccies
Assistant Coach

by The Dark Knight » Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:24 am

Pre-game rountine-

-I pack all my gear the night before and get everything ready and so don't need to worry about if i've forgotten anything.

-I like getting to the ground nice and early usually when the B's start or earlier if the C's are playing the early game. Watch them for a bit and then go into get changed, i like to get changed before our coaches chat at half time.

-I then strip off, (Already have bathers and skins on), shorts first, then Skins top, tuck that into my shorts. Next is my socks, both ankle and footy socks. Put my hoodie back on and my slip ons and go out for the coachs chat.

- Go back in get my wrists shrapped and get a rub down if I need one. Grab my guersey put it on and then finally put my boots on. I'm usually one of the first ones ready.

-Then have a stretch. I like to have a long time for stretching, it's keeps me relaxed.

-Next we'll start throwing the footys around whether it be in the changerooms or outside on the ground at 3 quarter time. I like kick the footy around for a while to get my skills right before we go in for the pre-game chat.

- Go in for our pre game chat, go out and have a good warm up and then it's game on.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10373 times
Been liked: 1526 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

by White Line Fever » Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:44 am

The Dark Knight wrote:Pre-game rountine-

-I pack all my gear the night before and get everything ready and so don't need to worry about if i've forgotten anything.

-I like getting to the ground nice and early usually when the B's start or earlier if the C's are playing the early game. Watch them for a bit and then go into get changed, i like to get changed before our coaches chat at half time.

-I then strip off, (Already have bathers and skins on), shorts first, then Skins top, tuck that into my shorts. Next is my socks, both ankle and footy socks. Put my hoodie back on and my slip ons and go out for the coachs chat.

- Go back in get my wrists shrapped and get a rub down if I need one. Grab my guersey put it on and then finally put my boots on. I'm usually one of the first ones ready.

-Then have a stretch. I like to have a long time for stretching, it's keeps me relaxed.

-Next we'll start throwing the footys around whether it be in the changerooms or outside on the ground at 3 quarter time. I like kick the footy around for a while to get my skills right before we go in for the pre-game chat.

- Go in for our pre game chat, go out and have a good warm up and then it's game on.

Day off today DK?
Your not normally posting during the day... :lol:
White Line Fever
League - Top 5

Next

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues