Unique trial matches you have played

Adelaide Footy League, Southern, Country Footy, VFL, WAFL, NTFL, etc.

Unique trial matches you have played

Postby 7-Dog » Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:21 pm

Starting to get some pre-season games organised, I was reminded of a trial match I played in a few years ago that is very unique.

We (South Augusta) went into the Port Augusta Prison and played the prisoners in a trial match back in '98 or '99

others I have played in.

Playing for North Adelaide U/19's, we played Jamestown at Jamestown in 2000. North won by 6/7 goals if I remember correctly.
We (Quorn Wolves) played an Adelaide team, red & black, I think it was Plympton in Quorn. Won by 10 goals.
The following year I think we played North Adelaide juniors and touched them up.

Any other members played a team/s that would not normally have been scheduled?
Has any country/amatuer team played an SANFL team in the past?
Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing.
7-Dog
Reserves

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: South Augusta

Re: Unique trial matches you have played

Postby FlyingHigh » Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:55 pm

About ten years ago the EP zone side played Port Magpies at Wudinna on a Sunday during the season, maybe July. Can't recall the reason for it. Port played mainly reserves with a few u/19's and league players IIRC. And, no, I wasn't good enough to be in either team.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 174 times

Postby GWW » Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:00 pm

FlyingHigh wrote:About ten years ago the EP zone side played Port Magpies at Wudinna on a Sunday during the season, maybe July.

What was the result/margin? Was it close?
GWW

Has liked: 816 times
Been liked: 166 times

Postby 7-Dog » Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:08 pm

EP vs Port, I think our league did the same thing and this was mid/late 90's. I remember being a 1st year U/15.
I also believe this was the weekend the U/15's Port Augusta vs Port Lincoln - with Buzz McDowell for Lincoln.
There were 2 other games on the day and I remember the 19's & reserves playing from Port.
This was when Port Augusta was apart of the Magpies zone :D
Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing.
7-Dog
Reserves

Grassroots Team: South Augusta

Postby FlyingHigh » Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:33 pm

GWW wrote:
FlyingHigh wrote:About ten years ago the EP zone side played Port Magpies at Wudinna on a Sunday during the season, maybe July.

Memory is pretty sketchy - I think EP were competitive but Port pulled away to win by 7-10 goals. They didn't look any bigger than the EP players just fitter and a bit more toned and stronger.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 174 times

Postby Hazbeen » Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:29 pm

When I lived in the NT we used to have week long training camps for the Schoolboys (U/16) and Teal Cup (U17) and used to play various scratchies at the end of the week.

The first year I was involved as a 15 year old we played the NT Super Rules side (over 35's) and got beaten by a few goals.
Hazbeen
Veteran

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 122 times
Grassroots Team: Hummocks-Watchman

Postby CK » Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:45 am

The very first trial game that Callington played, way back in the pre-season of 1995, was against Sturt U17's and U19's, and we won by a few goals. From that moment, we thought we would do very well in our first season.

We didn't win a A-grade game until mid-1996.
Can you guess where I'm calling from, the Las Vegas Hilton...
CK
Veteran

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 3 times

Postby '00'02'03'07 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:44 pm

I remember back in 1995 when I was at Sacred Heart Senior College playing against the Northern Territory State Under 16s I think. Was good bacause it was during school so got to miss out on most of the day because of the game. I think Tim Davis who was on the Crows list and at North Adelaide got the BOG that day. Memories of being fitter lol I played on the wing
'00'02'03'07
Under 16s

Grassroots Team: Ovingham

Postby Big Phil » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:04 pm

When playing with Eastern Park in the early 2000's we decided to have an internal trial but the cricket team had access to the oval for their game.

Anyone who knows Dwight Reserve will be aware of the much smaller oval down the hill from the main oval where the juniors often played.

We played our senior trial game on this smaller oval and I remember winning a ruck tap, getting a handball back from the rover I tapped it to and then kicked a goal...... from the centre circle ;)
Big Phil
Coach

Has liked: 120 times
Been liked: 273 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:52 am

7-Dog wrote:Starting to get some pre-season games organised, I was reminded of a trial match I played in a few years ago that is very unique.

We (South Augusta) went into the Port Augusta Prison and played the prisoners in a trial match back in '98 or '99

others I have played in.

Playing for North Adelaide U/19's, we played Jamestown at Jamestown in 2000. North won by 6/7 goals if I remember correctly.
We (Quorn Wolves) played an Adelaide team, red & black, I think it was Plympton in Quorn. Won by 10 goals.
The following year I think we played North Adelaide juniors and touched them up.

How did that go mate, was it like "The Longest Yard"?
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4347 times
Been liked: 7926 times

Postby Cella Dwella » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:06 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
7-Dog wrote:Starting to get some pre-season games organised, I was reminded of a trial match I played in a few years ago that is very unique.

others I have played in.

How did that go mate, was it like "The Longest Yard"?

Was it some kind of club reunion 7 Dog? ;)
Cella Dwella
Rookie

Grassroots Team: Solomontown

Postby valleys07 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:17 pm

Back when i was playing at henley the A's and B's had a trial against port magpies u19's. Port got up by bout 4-5 goals in the end but was a good hitout for both sides. Also did the country trip (cant remember where) playing for north 17's which was also a good hitout
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 767 times
Been liked: 1169 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Choccies » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:39 pm

Played a trial back in '99 against Fitzroy at Renown Park and the umpire decided to call a player count during the game. Took him about 20 minutes to organise both sides and make us all believe that he wasn't taking the P155 out of us all...
I love grapes. With grapes, you always get another chance. You know, if you have a crappy apple or a peach, you’re stuck with that crappy piece of fruit. If you have a crappy grape, no problem-just move on to the next. ‘Grapes: The Fruit of Hope.
Choccies
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 4 times
Grassroots Team: Golden Grove

Postby Felch » Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:54 pm

valleys07 wrote:Back when i was playing at henley the A's and B's had a trial against port magpies u19's. Port got up by bout 4-5 goals in the end but was a good hitout for both sides. Also did the country trip (cant remember where) playing for north 17's which was also a good hitout

Did a similar thing back in mid-90s when i played at Port Districts. Cant even remember the scores to be honest.
Felch
Assistant Coach

Grassroots Team: Portland

Postby Amateur Footy » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:01 pm

Ironbank played South Adelaide u19s back in 1997 and was a pretty even affair. South got up by a few goals but our FF kicked about 1.8 which didn't help. Was a big change playing on Souths oval compared to our postage stamp, never run so much in my life.
Amateur Footy
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 7 times
Grassroots Team: Ironbank

Postby Cougar » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:23 pm

Kersbrook played Para Hills on the old Kersbrook Oval and remember a Kid from Para Hills threw a rock at one of the Kersbrook players when a dust up had started. It was pretty innocuous, but it started a big fight on the half time siren. No one was injured or hurt but Para Hills had had enough, packed themselves up at Half Time, got on their Bus and headed home! Think the 'Fight' excuse was just used cos the old Kersbrook Oval was like playing on concrete during March.

Also remember Kersbrook being thrashed by Norwood U19s during 1992 with a bloke called Scott Burns murdering us in the middle of the ground!
Cougar
League - Best 21

Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 37 times

Postby LMA » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:40 pm

Felch wrote:
valleys07 wrote:Back when i was playing at henley the A's and B's had a trial against port magpies u19's. Port got up by bout 4-5 goals in the end but was a good hitout for both sides. Also did the country trip (cant remember where) playing for north 17's which was also a good hitout

Did a similar thing back in mid-90s when i played at Port Districts. Cant even remember the scores to be honest.

Yeah played in that one Felch, I think Districts just won. The year before when I was at Port when it was U17's and U19's Port assembled an U18's side to play the state U17's squad in a curtain raiser to the Cows, I was suprised how easily we beat them
LMA
Coach

Has liked: 387 times
Been liked: 714 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby amber_fluid » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:10 am

LMA wrote:
Felch wrote:

Yeah played in that one Felch, I think Districts just won. The year before when I was at Port when it was U17's and U19's Port assembled an U18's side to play the state U17's squad in a curtain raiser to the Cows, I was suprised how easily we beat them

I played in that one as well.......Cracky was the coach that year........or it might have been the year after you are talking about.....I think we lost to the u/19's by a couple of points.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2228 times
Been liked: 2523 times

Postby sound4 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:00 pm

FlyingHigh wrote:
GWW wrote:

Memory is pretty sketchy - I think EP were competitive but Port pulled away to win by 7-10 goals. They didn't look any bigger than the EP players just fitter and a bit more toned and stronger.

Was at that game as well although was playing in the juniors before that game. I believe the highlight of the main game was when Britt Grocke for EP ended up playing on his younger brother Martin who was playing for the Port Magpies at the time. Got a few of the locals excited been both Central Eyre boys.
sound4
Rookie

Postby 200 Killer Wasps » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:10 pm

Coached a team that only had an A grade and colts, so ambitiously organised an internal trial with A grade forwards against A grade backman down one end and colts forwards against colts backmen the other end. The centre square was all A grade and the wings colts. Made a few rules defining no go zones and it worked well.

The only real hiccup was that it would get bottled up down the colts end a bit which was remedied by some creative umpiring.
I'm reading a book about anti-gravity. I can't put it down.
200 Killer Wasps
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 13 times
Grassroots Team: Wunkar

Next

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues